Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 23:10   #3586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Different looking radiator? Hopefully more efficient cooling!
I think the radiator looks same as the current one. Only the plastic cover on the side seems to be different. Also I can see an orange fork seal. An improved one hopefully! Oh, and also a new pillion footpeg assembly.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th November 2014 at 23:11.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:58   #3587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Another query: I am planning to switch to Michellin Pilot Street for the rear. Can any of the current users please confirm if the ABS is working absolutely fine with it? Or there is any other problem you noticed with it? Planning to get it changed tomorrow itself, a quick confirmation is much appreciated.
Switched to Michellin Pilot Street from Metz. As per observations during regular commute, the grip level is better than I anticipated and I am not missing the Metz even during regular commutes coupled with aggressive riding. Also the front and rear ABS is working just fine.

Initial observations.
- Looks fatter on the rim compared to the Metz
- No wheel spin whatsoever while aggressive acceleration (I was sceptical about that)
- Found that the dive into the corners are now a bit more civilized. May be due to a less curved tire cross section
Old 1st December 2014, 19:07   #3588
BHPian

Totally agree with the above comment. Michelin PSR 140 is a beautiful tire, better than Metz in every way. I've used it for about 15000 kms now, and here are my observations:

1. No ABS trouble, at all.
2. Grip is awesome, even all the way till the edge.
3. Grip in wet/slushy/gravel conditions is exponentially better than the Metz.
4. Will last much much longer, most likely more than 25,000 kms. My Metz lasted 17,000 kms only.
5. That tire tread looks awesome
RiderZone is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 19:59   #3589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Found that the dive into the corners are now a bit more civilized. May be due to a less curved tire cross section
Translation - some flick-ability lost?

It's size 140, yes? And cost please

Edit - have u replaced both the tyres? I'm guessing it's only the rear. The front michelins are 110 size I think

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st December 2014 at 20:01.
Old 1st December 2014, 20:10   #3590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Translation - some flick-ability lost?
Not really, the bike is still flickable as it is supposed to be.

But now that I thought about it again, this feeling might be also due to the change from old slightly squared off Metz.

Quote:
It's size 140, yes? And cost please

Edit - have u replaced both the tyres? I'm guessing it's only the rear. The front michelins are 110 size I think
Changed only the rear. Its 140/70-17. Costed me around 5.4k including fitting. IIRC, the front pilot street is the same spec as the Metz.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 1st December 2014 at 20:15.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 20:57   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Switched to Michellin Pilot Street from Metz.
Bro how much did the metz last? Mine's done about 9k and looks like about 40-50% life left!
Old 1st December 2014, 21:10   #3592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Bro how much did the metz last? Mine's done about 9k and looks like about 40-50% life left!
I changed it at 13,300Kms. It still had a bit more juice to go about some 200kms or so of city riding.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:42   #3593
BHPian

Guys, has anyone (here or in the net) done any comparison between Michelin Pilot & MRF Revz & CEAT Vertigo?? All brands seem to have good reviews. So what's your experience with these tyres? Anything outstanding between these tyres??? My odo is 18K+ on stock Metz and I reckon I need to scout for a good tyre now. Metz being expensive how does the competition hold against it? and then what is the minimum tread depth for safe usage of the tyre?

Last edited by ashkamath : 4th December 2014 at 11:49.
Old 4th December 2014, 12:16   #3594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys, has anyone (here or in the net) done any comparison between Michelin Pilot & MRF Revz & CEAT Vertigo?? All brands seem to have good reviews. So what's your experience with these tyres? Anything outstanding between these tyres??? My odo is 18K+ on stock Metz and I reckon I need to scout for a good tyre now. Metz being expensive how does the competition hold against it? and then what is the minimum tread depth for safe usage of the tyre?
I've heard good reviews about the Michelin psr. Not very good ones about the ceat, esp if you are going to do high speed runs.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 15:41   #3595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Ashok, you can find my initial impression on the Michellin Pilot Street a couple of posts before. Also RiderZone has posted a longish term review of the same. It can be a good replacement of Metz for commuting and touring duties. I would recommend Ceat Vertigos on 390s only for long ride to the hills. Because it will simply not be able to handle speeds the 390 is capable of on tarmac although it is an entirely different story in slush/gravel!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 4th December 2014 at 15:43.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 16:17   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for Back to back post. @mods Please merge this.

Anybody attended the 390 Track day at MMSC on November 30th? Please share the experiences.
Old 5th December 2014, 22:07   #3597
Senior - BHPian

Though doubtful, it would be nice if the wind screen in the pic would come as stock with the bike. Also hoping for the tank shroud to be just as the pic shows it. More room for the knees = no fouling with the pointy extensions on the existing tank while changing gears. Should also facilitate better "lock in", given the small lip on top of the tank and its seemingly narrow profile
Old 5th December 2014, 23:23   #3598
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I've been a proud owner of a Duke 390 for around 6 months now. All I could do was clock 2k kms on the odd toll date due to health issues. Off late I've been facing weird issues with my bike. Here is what I noticed:

While riding continuously above the speed of 60kmph my console shows a "low oil pressure" warning. The first time this happened I stopped to check the old level and it seemed fine, there was no smoke from the exhaust. The bike felt and rode like it normally did before. I had switched off the bike while checking the oil levels. On switching it on again the error had disappeared. I rode the bike home going easy on the accelerator. The error didn't pop up again. The error pops up every time I ride it hard (above 60kmph) for a short period of time. Short bursts doesn't make the error pop up and neither does riding easy.

Today I took her out for and after warming up properly the gearbox made loud screeching noise in the 1st,2nd and 3rd gear. The noise increased with higher speeds on same gear but reduced after changing to higher gear. The gearbox felt a little hard to shift. After letting the bike cool off for an hour the noise disappeared and popped up again after the bike was hot. This happens in 1sr 2nd and 3rd gear only and probably the 6th. But second time it happened, I was at home already. Short rides at slow speeds the bike feels normal. Though I feel its noisy but can't confirm that unless I compare it with other 390.

I haven't had the time to send the bike to the service station for a check up. The first service was done at 300 kms. Second free service is still pending again due to health issues. Current odd reading 2100 approx. First service done in mid June. Bike was unused till August and then very sparingly used after that.

Anyone facing similar issues? Pls help
Old 6th December 2014, 11:21   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post

I haven't had the time to send the bike to the service station for a check up. The first service was done at 300 kms. Second free service is still pending again due to health issues. Current odd reading 2100 approx.
Low oil pressure warnings and oil levels going down have been seen on a couple of 390s that I've seen. Avoid riding the bike till someone from your SVC takes a look. The guys who faced similar issues had it fixed under warranty so don't worry.
Old 6th December 2014, 13:20   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Low oil pressure warnings and oil levels going down have been seen on a couple of 390s that I've seen. Avoid riding the bike till someone from your SVC takes a look. The guys who faced similar issues had it fixed under warranty so don't worry.
Thanks. That's a little relief. I haven't ridden her yet. Any clue abt the noise coming from the gearbox?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks