Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 22:04   #3541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I apologize for my apparent laziness
I washed my bike once before the first service, out of enthusiasm. Then I havent washed it ever since, not even dusted it. So what will you call me

My bike got washed during the first service and in some of my trips to KTM service station.

I guess except for the radiator and the sensor areas, there shoudnt be any problem with pressure wash.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:22   #3542
BHPian

If you live in coastal areas and it's not rainy, a bike wash once in two to three weeks is best. Washing the bike every other day will increase rusting.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:56   #3543
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
More inside, just a slight spray outside. Leave it overnight before you ride if possible. It's all going to splatter on the rim anyways!
Thank you and this is where I went wrong , a friend advised take a ride to evenly spread it and it was even all right along the rim Will do as you and Abhinav have adviced .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Inside should be just fine. If you look at some you tube videos you will notice that most top garages do it only on the inside for SBK's too! So lubing on the inside works. And as anilp mentions, you have to leave it for at least a few hours before you ride.

I follow the below steps for lubing the chain:
1. Clean the chain using chain clean
2. Run the bike for a few kms to ensure the chain is hot
3. Use the chain lube right after the ride as it helps get the lube absorbed if the chain is hot.
4. Leave the bike unused for an hour or 2.
5. Ride away !!

If on a multiple day ride and I dont have time to clean the chain, i just use the spray to ensure the chain does not dry up (specially when caught up in the rains).
Thank you for that step by step guide and now I know it is ok to lube without cleaning if I am feeling too lazy but chain needs urgent lubing . I used kerosene to clean the one time I attended to my chain , will purchase wd-40 online for the next time onward .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I washed my bike once before the first service, out of enthusiasm. Then I havent washed it ever since, not even dusted it. So what will you call me

My bike got washed during the first service and in some of my trips to KTM service station.

I guess except for the radiator and the sensor areas, there shoudnt be any problem with pressure wash.
I was actually referring to me being lazy and not seeking out the 3 other owners here

My bike is surprisingly clean for the distance used , a dry but thorough dusting normally gets the job done to an acceptable level .

Which particular area do you mean by sensor area , I have made it a note to be careful around the rear seat as pressurized water may creep in and potentially sort out the ABS fuses located there . Also I always try to not hose the engine directly when washing the enfield and will follow the same with the duke .

Last edited by basuroy : 25th November 2014 at 22:59.
Old 26th November 2014, 00:23   #3544
BHPian

Quote:
I used kerosene to clean the one time I attended to my chain , will purchase wd-40 online for the next time onward .
I use MOTUL chain clean and chain lube. Costs Rs 500 each. Got it from KTM service center. See pics
Quote:
Which particular area do you mean by sensor area , I have made it a note to be careful around the rear seat as pressurized water may creep in and potentially sort out the ABS fuses located there . Also I always try to not hose the engine directly when washing the enfield and will follow the same with the duke .
Mostly inside the frame, on the throttle body, on the engine, above the radiator etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1416941596616.jpg  

mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 00:39   #3545
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally don't use or recommend using a pressure washer to wash a motorcycle, particularly the new ones with fuel injection and high tech electronics.

By pressure washing, I'm referring to the powered units that can create thousands of pounds of pressure per square inch, intended to blast off hardened grease and grime.

The high pressure these devices create can easily overcome the rubber seals that protect the wiring connectors.
As many know, the new electronic systems operate on very low voltage and the slightest corrosion in their electronic circuits can cause problems.

It is not uncommon for high pressure water to enter unprotected seals on the forks, the shock absorbers, chains, the engine and fuel system and the hydraulic brake systems.
Once inside these parts the water contaminates the fluid and can cause great harm.

All of these areas are designed to resist low velocity water such as might be encountered from rain, wet streets or a garden hose so washing a motorcycle with a hose will create no problems. Just avoid high pressure washers to be safe.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 11:02   #3546
BHPian

Quote:
I used kerosene to clean the one time I attended to my chain , will purchase wd-40 online for the next time onward .
This is a controversial topic, so just consider this as a personal opinion. Kerosene is a better option than WD40 to clean chains. WD40 might degrease the chain a bit too much. Else opt for a more expensive chain cleaner.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 11:40   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
This is a controversial topic, so just consider this as a personal opinion. Kerosene is a better option than WD40 to clean chains. WD40 might degrease the chain a bit too much. Else opt for a more expensive chain cleaner.
I calculated it like this. My petrol bill for my bike is about Rs 2500 per month. And the bike costs about 2.2 L OR. So Rs 1000 for chain cleaner and chain lube from MOTUL is insignificant.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:50   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
I calculated it like this. My petrol bill for my bike is about Rs 2500 per month. And the bike costs about 2.2 L OR. So Rs 1000 for chain cleaner and chain lube from MOTUL is insignificant.
It's not a matter of cost. If you see the manual, it just says clean the chain with a spray of water. Kerosene is tried and tested for such apps, so do you really need a cleaner?

Disclaimer: I'm very happy with the Motul chain spray, but I did not feel the need for a chain spray if kerosene works just as well. As is usual many a time, I might be wrong on this one. Too.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:57   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kerosene is tried and tested for such apps, so do you really need a cleaner?

Disclaimer: I'm very happy with the Motul chain spray, but I did not feel the need for a chain spray if kerosene works just as well. As is usual many a time, I might be wrong on this one. Too.
I guess you are not. The link should help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 12:58   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

Very comprehensive study. But it omits branded chain cleaners. And also what about the dissolving property of these solvents, for dirt and other sticky bits.

Disclaimer: I don't know if MOTUL chain cleaner is overkill. I thought it wouldnt be harmful and probably be better than home grown solutions.
Old 26th November 2014, 13:22   #3551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very comprehensive study. But it omits branded chain cleaners. And also what about the dissolving property of these solvents, for dirt and other sticky bits.
Yes it does omit chain cleaners. The guys over there in ADVRider are pretty old school tough as nail blokes! May be they dont need the fancy chain cleaners!

But that said, I assume the chain cleaners are purpose made and hence should do their job perfectly without causing any damage to the O-rings or whatsoever.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 13:40   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

Thanks, man. That's a great read. By the way, I missed the Edit button. Just to clarify, i use kerosene only to clean the chain. I still use Motul chain spray to lube the chain.
Old 26th November 2014, 14:14   #3553
BHPian

The SVC here doesn't stock on those motul chain products so I had to purchase OKS chain lube meant for bajaj bikes , I suppose until the can is empty , I can use that without any harm right , It is still a chain lube I figure .

So no wd-40 then , will search and order for the motul duo later and use kerosene for the time being .
Old 26th November 2014, 17:13   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
The SVC here doesn't stock on those motul chain products so I had to purchase OKS chain lube meant for bajaj bikes .
Most SVCs sell only OKS, even though they may use Motul during service. OKS is not as effective as Motul, and the can finishes very fast. I had to pick up the Motul spray from a Motul distributor.
Old 26th November 2014, 17:25   #3555
BHPian

Quote:
Most SVCs sell only OKS, even though they may use Motul during service. OKS is not as effective as Motul, and the can finishes very fast. I had to pick up the Motul spray from a Motul distributor.
Here its the opposite. They have MOTUL but they use something else. Sometimes I find a lot of grease on the chain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks