Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 12:56   #5041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Got the Bullet Classic 13mm Master brake cylinder fitted. The brake is better, with better bite.
Interesting. Is the master cylinder a plug and play? Was any other part replaced/altered for this mod?
Old 20th November 2015, 17:44   #5042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Interesting. Is the master cylinder a plug and play? Was any other part replaced/altered for this mod?
No - it is kind of plug & play. Even the original lever fit. Just the space between the nut & the handle bar is slightly reduced.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 18:19   #5043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Update:

Got the Bullet Classic 13mm Master brake cylinder fitted. The brake is better, with better bite.

So, for the nonce, the problems I had with the brake have been fixed.
Good to hear that. Is that mod done at the X-torque? You had mentioned about this a few pages back as a suggestion.
Old 21st November 2015, 09:10   #5044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Good to hear that. Is that mod done at the X-torque? You had mentioned about this a few pages back as a suggestion.
Yes. Sorry - should have mentioned it.
Old 21st November 2015, 19:56   #5045

Guys, I was riding my 390 as usual the day before yesterday, and this moron on a TVS 50 cuts across the road blindly, almost causing me to crash head on into him. I braked as hard as possible, and the ABS kicked in to prevent skidding. In the end, the forward most part of my front tyre seemed to only nudge his vehicle, with nobody getting hurt. What's more, this idiot had a child balanced precariously on the narrow footboard. I was in the right on this occasion, so I told him he'd better learn to ride properly and not risk the life of his child. That wasn't the issue. Later, I noticed that the front end of the bike didn't seem as stable as before, especially while cornering. Close inspection revealed that the forks appeared to be all right. However, the next morning, when I was taking my bike out, I noticed a small bolt on the ground next to where the bike had been parked (pictures attached). Can anyone shed any light on what, if anything, is wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1448115364922802764793.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-14481154355191600884657.jpg  

Old 21st November 2015, 21:49   #5046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
Can anyone shed any light on what, if anything, is wrong?
I can suggest 3 things.

1. Get the fork adjusted. D390 forks are famed to turn loose/hard even at the slightest impact.
2. Check the front rim thoroughly.
3. Get your tyre pressure rechecked.

Is your handlebar adjusted correctly?
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 23:37   #5047
Distinguished - BHPian

I may be wrong but that screw doesn't look like something that would have fallen off of your motorcycle.
That kind of screw is usually used to hold body parts or wiring harnesses in place. It would not be used to hold or restrain critical parts such as your motorcycle's steering.

Check to see if there are any screw holes that are missing a screw. If you find one, try the screw you have found to see if it fits.
If you don't find any empty holes you can surmise the bolt probably fell off of a passing car and ended up where you found it.

As for your steering, do as barcalad suggested and have it checked out.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:58   #5048

So I checked the front rim, and there seems to be some damage (picture attached). Does this warrant replacement of the entire front alloy? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20151122_142518.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2015, 20:53   #5049
BHPian

Quote:
So I checked the front rim, and there seems to be some damage (picture attached). Does this warrant replacement of the entire front alloy? Thanks in advance.
From first glance, this is not serious damage. Take it to the KTM guys and get the bike checked.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:28   #5050
BHPian

I'm really interested in buying the 390 but ever since i rode the RC, i can't bring myself to buy this.

Any good point which you could mention which makes me buy this? I'd really save some bucks too, as nobody beats the 390 in VFM agenda.
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:59   #5051
BHPian

Quote:
Get it replaced. Rims are one aspect of any KTM you can't afford any laxity with. If left as it is, it can have a terrible effect on the bikes as well as the rider sooner or later.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:43   #5052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a hairline crack along the spoke line ?

Or are you worried about the superficial chips/gouges near the tyre?
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:48   #5053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Slipper clutch on a Winding road

So I start in the morning on my favourite road near my place, which also has a few hairpin like bends. The bike has become more fluid, in the sense, I am always in the right gear at the right time while exiting a corner. Engine braking is present, but the initial bite is lost. The other thing is how easy it is to shift to the 1st gear while encountering a freakishly large hump. The engine feels smoothened at the lowest of the rpms, which really helps me ease over potholes. A long queue of cars and trucks forms near a checkpost which moves at a snails pace. The light clutch really is a boon. While returning, as I filter through the heavy traffic near my place, I feel, the clutch is worth every penny paid.
Missed your post on the slipper clutch mate. The slipper clutch indeed is a boon to have as I had mentioned it on some other thread. It's great to see some real feedback from a rider unlike some baloney you hear from old school riders who tend to rely more on their rusty brain can calculate faster than the technology on board. Your experience reinforces the importance of a slipper clutch on such a powerful motorcycle and also how it assists and helps in safety and the overall riding experience. Don't bother about the same old school people who say they don't understand the need for having a slipper clutch, they are either blabbering on their senselessness or behaving like a cry baby for not having it on their existing motorcycles.
Quote:
I was planning to retrofit the quick throttle which comes with the 2015 models. If the drive by wire throttle debuts in 2016 models then I will wait for them.
The drive by wire throttle is another marvel of the modern technology. It gives the rider a quicker and sharper response to the throttle inputs. Again there will be guys who say what is the need for it, who will claim my brain is faster than that. These type of guys should ride and feel how the new technology works rather than blabbering rubbish.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 00:31   #5054
BHPian

I'm extremely sorry to highjack this thread and i don't even have a duke 390 but this is the most active motorcycle group out here so I thought I'd just ask my doubt here. After all basic components on all bikes are the same.

So, the niggle in my bike is when i rev my bike, a very weird noise (harsh) comes out of my bike and still don't know from where.

It happens only while wringing the throttle. And the funny thing is, it happens only during motion. While the bike is standstill (on centre stand) and then when i rev it.. I can't hear anything.

What could it be? It's been really bothering me a lot and the service centre still cannot find the problem. They say it's nothing.

Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Rajat.
(I have a Suzuki Gixxer. There's no forum for it hence I asked here.I apologize again for going off topic with respect to the KTM bikes )
Old 24th November 2015, 08:41   #5055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorofindia View Post
So, the niggle in my bike is when i rev my bike, a very weird noise (harsh) comes out of my bike and still don't know from where.
Make these initial changes and see if it still persists.

1. Change accelerator cable.
2. Get your throttle sensor/diaphragm cleaned. This is ideally right below the fuel tank.

If it still persists, it might have something to do with the tappet/shin (for which your engine will have to be dismantled) and should ideally be rectified at the earliest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks