Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:12   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
stock belly guard.
I like the sump guard on your bike. Is it aluminum? Where did you get it from and for how much?

Some photos and details of it would be great.

Does it have some sort of sound deadening coated on the inside (most Dukes with naked metal ones sound pretty bad/tinny to the rider).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:09   #4892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I like the sump guard on your bike. Is it aluminum? Where did you get it from and for how much?

Some photos and details of it would be great.

Does it have some sort of sound deadening coated on the inside (most Dukes with naked metal ones sound pretty bad/tinny to the rider).
Doc have posted the pics and reviews on post # 4261 and # 4263 in this thread. It is from Indimotard adventures costing 2100INR.

Yes the noise sounds tinny and shifts also sounds tinny, but it is barely audible in the comforts of my helmet and at the end of the day, if it serves its purpose, I am happy. Since you have mentioned the noise deadening material, now have to check it out.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 15:44   #4893

Quick question. Slightly OT

The D390 comes with a slipper clutch. Does the RC390 have one too? Planning on picking up an RC390 but the dealership does not seem to have any clue abt what this is!!

TIA
Anil
Anil Rajani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 16:10   #4894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Rajani View Post

Does the RC390 have one too?
Only the Duke 390 has the slipper clutch. The RC hasn't got one yet.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 4th October 2015 at 16:14.
Old 5th October 2015, 11:53   #4895
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Went on a ride from Banglore to Hampi and back along with a BMW GS 1200. I was on my 390. Mostly good roads. Had to ride like i was on a 100cc bike to keep up with the GS. WOT most of the time. What a bike the GS 1200 is. Does not at all fell heavy and very maneuverable. planted like rock and glides over potholes and speed breakers. Was also very impressed with the dukes performance as well. Managed to keep up with the GS most of the time. On return leg, we covered 410 kms from hampi to bangalore in 5.5 hours, which includes 140kms of not so good single lane highway, full of potholes and truck traffic + many chai and smoky breaks and 2 fuel stops for the 390 small tank. A 3 day weekend well spent.

PS. Now i am really tempted to let go of my versys 650 plans, beg and borrow to somehow get the tiger 800 XRx.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1538.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 5th October 2015 at 12:00.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 15:13   #4896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Went on a ride from Banglore to Hampi and back along with a BMW GS 1200.
Hi Nasirkaka,

Are the sideracks for luggage in the GS1200 made in Bangalore? If so can you please share the details of the place where it has been done? Thanks.
Old 5th October 2015, 15:35   #4897
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Are the sideracks for luggage in the GS1200 made in Bangalore? If so can you please share the details of the place where it has been done? Thanks.
No, they are not made in bangalore. Infact, there is a company called TOURATECH which makes these and many more accessories for BMW. Very very expensive. For the price of a set of panniers and engine guard, we can get a new 390.

The link to the site:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...l-Water-Cooled
Old 6th October 2015, 06:43   #4898
Senior - BHPian

Folks: question re the brakes issue

Took it to x-torque to get the brakes bled. They seemed to know what they were doing and took reasonable care to bleed it right. Used Motul Dot4 claiming it was better than the "what Bajaj uses". However the brake feels the same.

They said to change the master cylinder to a 13mm one from Bullet is the only answer to get the bite back & the feel too. Seems strange to me as the stock feel was just fine for me but am unable to get it back. The other issue is that they suggested moving to the 13mm MC as "they have done it for about 20 390s" before they even bled the brakes. So, not too sure about the hidden agenda here.

What do you think, is it worth it to upgrade to the 13mm or is there something else I should try?

Also, there is oil on the front LHS shock. Think the oil seal is gone. The bike has only done 6k km. THere is coolant leaking also.

Is that all the reliability I can expect? At least with a Bullet, I can fix it myself!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 10:10   #4899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
What do you think, is it worth it to upgrade to the 13mm or is there something else I should try?

Also, there is oil on the front LHS shock. Think the oil seal is gone. The bike has only done 6k km. THere is coolant leaking also.

Is that all the reliability I can expect? At least with a Bullet, I can fix it myself!
I don't think it'll make much difference, no matter what cylinder you get. Duke brakes are not that good, and that's what I've learned to live with.

You'll see oil and muck trapped just above the silver section of the fork above the axle, if your seal is gone.

In some sense, the Dukes are reliable. They have many many issues, but none of them will stop you from dragging yourself to the nearest KTM SVC. The good thing is that parts are extremely cheap, so changing them up doesn't cause much heartburn.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 14:25   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I don't think it'll make much difference, no matter what cylinder you get. Duke brakes are not that good, and that's what I've learned to live with.
Won't switching to after market brake pads help? I recall reading that changing brake pads to galfer(?) improves the feel and bite tremendously.
I am in South Africa for while and see a lot of Duke's here.

I plan to get on myself once I'm back next month, perhaps I should carry some brake pads etc with me.

Look at the accessories available here for the Dukes/RC series.

Regards

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 6th October 2015 at 14:29.
Old 6th October 2015, 15:38   #4901
BHPian

Im using michellin pilot street in my RC for a month and i feel harder to change lanes at speeds above 60 kmph.I have read in our forum that michellins actually cause the difference,not sure though.i have no issues with slow speed handling.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:15   #4902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Won't switching to after market brake pads help? I recall reading that changing brake pads to galfer(?) improves the feel and bite tremendously.
I am in South Africa for while and see a lot of Duke's here.

I plan to get on myself once I'm back next month, perhaps I should carry some brake pads etc with me.
Try and let us know! I think a few people did attempt to go for higher quality aftermarket brake parts, but none of them made much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Im using michellin pilot street in my RC for a month and i feel harder to change lanes at speeds above 60 kmph.I have read in our forum that michellins actually cause the difference,not sure though.i have no issues with slow speed handling.
What do you mean you feel harder to change lanes? Does the same problem happen in hard cornering? It could be a steering problem, or just a psychological one Once you get used to the stickiness of the Metzies (assuming you have an RC390), it takes a while to start trusting other rubber.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:38   #4903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Try and let us know! I think a few people did attempt to go for higher quality aftermarket brake parts, but none of them made much difference.

What do you mean you feel harder to change lanes? Does the same problem happen in hard cornering? It could be a steering problem, or just a psychological one Once you get used to the stickiness of the Metzies (assuming you have an RC390), it takes a while to start trusting other rubber.

Yes i have a rc 390,while cornering bike feels at home,it is only when you give that small inputs to the steering to change the lane,it is apparent.I somehow feel this has something to do with michellins?
Old 7th October 2015, 13:42   #4904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Yes i have a rc 390,while cornering bike feels at home,it is only when you give that small inputs to the steering to change the lane,it is apparent.I somehow feel this has something to do with michellins?
I have noticed the same with my front michelins on my duke 390 too. Its fine when leaned over but doesnt respond well to small steering corrections. Probably coz of the tread pattern at the base. But the rear Michelins are quite good which just amplifies how bad the front tyre really is. I feel a front Metz and rear Michelin combo would work very well.
Old 7th October 2015, 14:11   #4905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I have noticed the same with my front michelins on my duke 390 too. Its fine when leaned over but doesnt respond well to small steering corrections. Probably coz of the tread pattern at the base. But the rear Michelins are quite good which just amplifies how bad the front tyre really is. I feel a front Metz and rear Michelin combo would work very well.
I also feel that Michellins weigh a bit higher than Metzelers which can also be amplifying the issue.I dont like the front Michellin and well if everyone feels the same way as we do, then i guess its time to change to Metzelers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks