Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 18:05   #4846
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Why am I seeing increasing number of folks putting Ceat Vertigo tyres on their Dukes (both 200 and 390)? What is the advantage? I'm assuming this is because of ride quality?
Many Dukes are taken to rides like Leh, and those riders are mostly fitting the following two models. These tread patterns/knobby tyres provide better grip than the Metzelers when you are going offroad.

(1) Ralco
(2) Ceat Vertigo

Apart from these guys, the other Dukers are most likely to be fitting these tyres for the cost benefits (maybe perceived cosmetic appeal?). This is not a great idea, in my opinion. Unless you go off-road a lot, this practice is like putting gum boots on a sprinter. If your rides are mostly tarmac, you are safer off putting the MRF versions for the respective Dukes if cost is the issue (I'm sorry, but I don't remember the model names).

Last edited by anilp : 15th September 2015 at 18:07.
Old 15th September 2015, 18:24   #4847
Senior - BHPian

Continuing on the brake issue - took it to the Kasturba Road KTM. They bled the front brake again.

The service tech, gave me some gas about ABS acting like a buffer while standing etc. Net-net, it appears that either they dont know what they are doing (he did not take any care to eliminate air when he was bleeding) or the issue does not have a fix. '

I checked other bikes - the play is minimal. The tech claimed that is because they are new. I asked if the pads are worn out & he said no.

A search indicates that this seems to happen often and there is no real fix.

But the brake is a bother and feels unnatural. Any suggestions? Or just lump it & relearn braking with the full hand?!!
Old 15th September 2015, 19:21   #4848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the brake is a bother and feels unnatural. Any suggestions? Or just lump it & relearn braking with the full hand?!!

Dont get me wrong, but take it to a local mechanic to just check what his analysis is. A bullet mechanic may help, but may be some super bike mechanics local to Bangalore.

They may provide additional inputs.

The play should not be like a drum break. For disc brake over time expect some play for few cms and not MM's but nothing like sqeeuzing a drum break.

If your feeling is like drum break, then there is a problem. But if its more like difference between new bike and used bike, i feel it can be normal.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 22:08   #4849
BHPian

A comparo of the tires. No Metz though.
Sojogator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 14:06   #4850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
A comparo of the tires. No Metz though.
It puts the Michelins dead last. And no PSDs reviewed too.
Old 16th September 2015, 15:57   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Continuing on the brake issue - took it to the Kasturba Road KTM. They bled the front brake again.

If possible, take it to the greasehouse (Indimotard) - they bled my rear break and I didn't face any issues. Was very happy with their work.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 16:50   #4852
BHPian

Quote:

The service tech, gave me some gas about ABS acting like a buffer while standing etc. Net-net, it appears that either they dont know what they are doing (he did not take any care to eliminate air when he was bleeding) or the issue does not have a fix. '
!
Sridhu,
they do not know how to bleed, or they do not bother spending time doing so. They simply top up the brake fluid and say it is done.

I had the same experience on my D200 with them. Finally did it myself at home. It is rather simple, but if you aren't inclined, take it to any "superbike mechanic" or like Anoop suggested, the good guys at indimotard!

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 21:06   #4853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

X torque behind the Soul space on the ORR near Marathalli is another option for,you. Have a bunch of friends who are using their expertise in getting things sorted and everyone has given thumbs up for them, from the Dukes, R15 to Ninjas and likes.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 15:03   #4854
BHPian

Harassment by KTM Sarvodaya, Goregaon

Although I have received the duke 390 and the purchase procedure is over, I am not able to get over the ordeal and humiliation, I had to meet by KTM Sarvodaya, Goregaon.

Last week of August I decided to buy duke 390. Visited Goregaon, Sarvodaya and met this charming and well spoken gentleman by the name of Mitra. His responses were quick, confident and dripped of trust and faith. I had a strong feeling that I was doing the right thing. I decided to go with my feeling and seal the deal. One fine lovely morning, Mitra called up and told me that a duke 390 has been allotted to him and he can deliver the motorcycle by 10th September, maximum, opposed to the earlier claim that it will take 20 days for me to receive the motorcycle.

I was quite elated and decided to finish the paper work and pay the remaining balance down payment amount (80%). This was 1st week of September. The rollercoaster ride begins. I tried getting in touch with Sarvodaya KTM on 7th September to confirm my booking and nobody answered the phone.

Same was the case on 8th September. On 9th, I visited the showroom and met a guy by the name of Joy who informed me that the bike is in the godown and he has no idea who has been asked to get the bike to the showroom. I asked him to speak with Mitra who was on leave (most of them are randomly on leave), Mitra did not pick his phone. I asked Joy to speak with Mitra and inform me. Joy did not do so. On 10th, I called up Sarvodaya showroom and asked when can I come to collect my bike and Joy told me by 7 p.m. At 7 p.m on 10th September, I reach the showroom in a rickshaw with my helmet with me and to my shock Mitra tells me that the bike is not here yet and apologised profusely for not communicating with me earlier in the day. He promised me that the bike will be at my place on 11th.

Obviously miffed and humiliated, on my way back I called up Mitra's senior, Mr Sunil Moore, who also apologised and told me that the bike will be delivered on 11th and he will see to it that there is no miscommunication. I felt maybe this was the guy I should have been communicating with. On 11th I am told by Joy that the bike is going through inspection at the showroom and I will have it by 7 p.m. Then by afternoon I get a call from Mr. Moore who informed me that he needs another day to finish inspecting. I blasted him for not keeping his commitment and going back on his promise. I told him that Mitra had told me that the bike will be handed to me on 11th itself. Moore tells me that Mitra told him, that he has had a word with me regarding the delay and I have given him another day. That was a blatant lie. I was super shocked something like this could happen too. My excitement died down instantly. I told him to cancel my booking and refund my money. He kept pleading. I decided to wait for just another day.

12th, I received the bike in the evening but to my shock without registration . I called up Mitra and he told me that it will be done on 13th since 12th was a Sunday. They handed me the octroi and form 19 to ride the bike without registration. It was a risky move on my part to take custody of the bike which was not registered, since if it was stolen or crashed, my money would be worth nothing since unregistered bike cannot be insured. I still took that chance because I also didn't want to let go of the bike after receiving it with such a struggle. 13th, I called up the showroom and Joy told me that Mitra has gone to procure the registration so it should be at the showroom by evening. Fine, sounded like good news and I was waiting. Again Mr. Moore called me up and told me that Mitra has not got the registration and it will take another day.

On 15th I called up Mr Moore who apologised for not keeping his commitment and told me that there is some fee transaction issue at the R.T.O and he asked me time till 17th. I patiently heard him out and gave him time till 17th. 17th September I called up Mr Moore who told me that the officers are on leave at the R.T.O so it has not happened. He asked me for another day. I was beyond getting angry. I wanted to smash his face in but I couldn't. There was nothing I could do but to let him have his way.

18th the whole day Moore was unavailable and in the evening Mitra called up and asked me to reach Andheri R.T.O to meet his agent for the registration at 7:30. He was supposed to send someone from his dealership to represent my case with the agent. 7:10 I reach the R.T.O and it was closed. I kept calling Mitra up and he never picked my phone, but when I called up the showroom the guy there could call up Mitra and speak to him. The guy from the showroom called me up and said that Mitra wants you to speak to the agent directly and deal with him. The agent hung up the phone on me saying speak to Mitra. Again I was humiliated and my time was wasted. I had to ride through traffic and visarjan to get to the R.T.O but to my disappointment my work was not done.

On 19th, I received my bike's registration and papers and yet again the guys did not hand me my aadhar card and electricity bills which Mitra had promised to return back along with the papers. 20th, I saw them as it was handed to me at my place. Last I spoke to Moore on 17th. 18th, 19th and 20th he had disappeared. Not a single word from him. The man who kept telling me that I should deal with him and not Mitra, had left me to work things out by myself and deal with his newbie team by myself.

It is extremely unfortunate that an international brand like KTM and Bajaj have not learnt the meaning of customer service. Their sales people kept going back on their promises, lying through their teeth, miscommunicating and giving excuses. My KTM's registration was finally done 7 days after handing over the bike to me. It has been a very unfortunate decision to buy a bike like KTM Duke from such irresponsible and novice dealership. Felt like a bunch of college dropouts were given this job of representing KTM.

I have written to info@ktm, Amit Nandi but never got a response back. I have the bike now but my purchase experience will haunt me forever. People receive their investments with joy and excitement. Sarvodaya took that away from me and I can never have it back.

Now I am enjoying the bike, enjoying not having to deal with Mitra or Moore anymore.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd September 2015 at 09:15. Reason: Paragraphs
frozen Heat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:59   #4855
BHPian

Hello there.

Quote:
Although I have received the duke 390 and the purchase procedure is over, I am not able to get over the ordeal and humiliation, I had to meet by KTM Sarvodaya, Goregaon.
Sorry to hear about your troubles frozen_Heat. You might after reading many blogs know by now that many dealer in India are cheeky when it comes to customer service. Wishing you happy days ahead with your Duke 390

Continuing on from my earlier post on Page 320, I had completed my first free service for my Duke 390 which just completed 1625 Km now. Thanks for all the comments regarding heating issues.

But just like most of the Indian customers who at times get swindled by cheeky dealerships, I myself had to go through the trouble of opening up my Duke 390's engine even before completing 1 month because of faulty valve stem seal issues which lead to white smoke (with that burnt oil smell) being emitted every time I started the engine after being idle for a while (hot or cold start). Coolant level has been normal throughout. We took it to the dealer in Kochi (Vytilla) the next day of the delivery itself stating this problem along with some fibre part vibration (@ around 3000 RPM) problem as well.

Well they couldn't sort the vibration issue as the sound is only audible at around 3000 RPM after which it goes away. I am living with it now! But the white smoke issue remained a concern and they said it might be a valve stem leak as they had some other Dukes with this issue as well. What I don't understand is that how they managed to pass this bike during the initial PDI?

Well any ways after lots of thinking and discussing with my in law who is good in bike tech know-how I decided to sort the issue by changing the valve stem seals during first service.

I don't know why exactly, the service supervisor told me that as a precautionary measure they also changed the piston and the cylinder rings as well, all under warranty. I read the doc that was uploaded recently in the previous pages regarding a statement from Bajaj KTM mentioning that white smoke can be normal! I don't think so

Any ways I am happy that the white smoke is gone for good (Answer that Bajaj-KTM?) and the service rep told that the bike needs to be ridden carefully for another 1000 km just like another break in procedure. The Duke gives an excellent average of 34-36 Km mileage and sometimes even more consistently (mostly ridden in the good roads of Thodupuzha & Idukki).

But I wonder whether I have to do an oil change after 2000 km or after 7500 km (during 2nd Service interval) (Current ODO 1625 Km)? Any suggestions please?

My Duke in the mist @ enroute to Ilaveeghaponchira
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150821wa0008.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150828wa0013.jpg  

antonjeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:49   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
I am not able to get over the ordeal and humiliation
Just in case you want to escalate your harassment episode, I have a few suggestions for you.

1. First. You can approach the showroom and ask the number/name of the Area Sales Head or the Nodal Customer Care officer. They will be extremely reluctant to do so, but you will have to squeeze it out of them. They'll offer you glimmer. Don't even think about accepting them. One bitten, twice shy.

2. Second. You can contact Mr. Nandi on twitter (@amitnandi10) and intimate him about everything. Generally, he responds. Send a follow up email to ktmindia as well.

3. Third. Attend any of their orange days or fancy events, and give them a public dressing down. I'm sure you'll get a lot of backing, because there are a lot of disgruntled souls out there. This has actually worked with a friend of mine in whose case the SA was suspended and a big cake/apology delivered to his doorstep the next morning. His case was much worse than yours.

4. Fourth. Ride up to Chakan and blast them fools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Oil change after 2000 km or after 7500 km (during 2nd Service interval) (Current ODO 1625 Km)? Any suggestions please?
I think you should change the oil. Opening the engine at such an early stage itself is eyebrow raising. Ride it sedately until 700-800 kilometres, do a general check on the fluid levels and then make a call. Do give occasional bursts of speed, though. Never keep the RPM constant for a long duration.

Could you kindly elaborate on the sound you're getting?

Last edited by barcalad : 23rd September 2015 at 11:50.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:35   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I think you should change the oil. Opening the engine at such an early stage itself is eyebrow raising. Ride it sedately until 700-800 kilometres, do a general check on the fluid levels and then make a call. Do give occasional bursts of speed, though. Never keep the RPM constant for a long duration.

Could you kindly elaborate on the sound you're getting?
Thanks for your quick reply. Well, at first it was a drumming like sound similar to a fibre part vibrating and initially thought was from either the engine guard or the radiator assembly. But the service techs re-fixed the engine guard and sound remained and after 1st service, now the sound resembles more of a metal part vibrating. They have managed to transfer the vibe to a metal part. It's hard to identify from which part, as it is only occurring during an RPM range (2500-3000)? The weird thing is that it doesn't happen while idling. Service guys have declared that they are unable to sort out the issue. I don't want them tinkering with my bike any more as already they have scratched off some minor orange colour from the frame while working on the engine.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:58   #4858
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply. Well, at first it was a drumming like sound similar to a fibre part vibrating and initially thought was from either the engine guard or the radiator assembly. But the service techs re-fixed the engine guard and sound remained and after 1st service, now the sound resembles more of a metal part vibrating. They have managed to transfer the vibe to a metal part. It's hard to identify from which part, as it is only occurring during an RPM range (2500-3000)? The weird thing is that it doesn't happen while idling. Service guys have declared that they are unable to sort out the issue. I don't want them tinkering with my bike any more as already they have scratched off some minor orange colour from the frame while working on the engine.
To begin with, please don't trust KTM mechanics and their sermons. We all know how mechanically literate (with respect to KTM bikes) they are.

One of the funniest things about being a KTM owner is that along with owning the bike and riding it, you need to be well aware of it's mechanics and nuances. I, for one, became very aware about how a bike runs and how to troubleshoot it's problems once I became a KTM owner. Life and it's delights! In a way, Mr. Pierrer and Mr. Bajaj have a big contribution in improving and enhancing my motorcycling knowledge.

To get to your concern, there are a few things that can contribute to such noise.

The first is that either there is some mess up in your chain (too much grime in the O-Rings/grooves) or front sprocket and hence that vibrating noise is coming at low speeds.
The second is that it might be a tappet/shin noise. Something of this sort happened with bhpian mithun.vijayan (who's from Kochi as well) and I helped him in getting the issue resolved at a trusted garage in Bangalore.
The third is that it might be something to do with your fork. Get it adjusted once, if you haven't.

I can't quite see any other reason for such noise to occur at low speeds.

man_of_steel an ebonho, your takes required.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:18   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have managed to transfer the vibe to a metal part. It's hard to identify from which part, as it is only occurring during an RPM range (2500-3000)? The weird thing is that it doesn't happen while idling
First and simplest thing to do is checking if it is the infamous fuel tank key hole cap rattling. Flip it open and ride around to check if the issue is fixed.

Also, did you try parking the bike in neutral and side stand and then revving upto the mentioned 2500-3000 RPM to check the source of noise?
Old 24th September 2015, 12:54   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
I have the exact same problem at around 3300 to 3400 rpm. It annoys the hell out of me . It sounds like a bee buzzing. It started about 400kms into delivery . It has been 2 months and 3000kms now and im used to it. The service center guys were clueless as to what was causing that sound
punterccrx8s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks