Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2016, 01:58   #5596
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hello folks , long time since I last posted here but I was involved in frequent relocation between cities and been bogged down for the past 8 months now .... Hit 5000km recently while exploring the Himalayan foothills based out of Siliguri . Had some insane experience on NH 2 when I was at Kolkata until few months back .

Overall the bike has done well so far , how is everyone here ? I see the bike is now going to appear in a striking new avatar .

Since I got the opportunity to ride on the NH2 , I observed the motorcycle vibrates a lot in 6th gear (mirrors and footpegs ) even though the engine feels a lot smoother than the lower gears , is this normal or something to get checked out ? I generally used to remain at 4th or 5th anyways and they didn't vibrate like the 6th .

Last edited by basuroy : 19th June 2016 at 02:01.
Old 19th June 2016, 02:30   #5597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Hey Dukers!

Need help on the below queries:
1. The engine makes rapid ticking noise at low rpm (feels like tappet noise) & this disappears post 5000 rpm, is this typical in all duke 390's?

2. The rear suspension from factory is set to 3 (pre load), considering I am 100 kgs should I take this one notch up to 4? The bike is not stable while going over bumps at times

3. I am still running in the bike (450 kms done), I heard the bike comes with mineral oil from the factory, did you all notice any difference after the 1st service when the oil is changed to fully synthetic?

TIA!
Yes ticking noise is normal . It gets noticeably louder with time .

No idea about suspension .apologies

It was to answer the third point that I quoted you -
One of my disappointment post first service was the bike felt EXACTLY same . I had read online that it would feel smoother suddenly but that was not the case. You might find this to be the case as well and feel disappointed or confused. Well don't , the engine takes time to lose that rough character (it also loses some power along with it , nothing major though , I suppose this would hold true for all motorcycles ? ) but I again changed oil at around 4000km and that time , the difference was very noticeable .

Another unrelated thing that improved with time is clutch , first 3000 km , I would say the clutch felt heavy and required 4 fingers to depress to full extent (this led to a bad habit of half clutching my shifts ). Now I can depress it to the full extent with just 2 fingers - in other words , the clutch will become lighter with passage of kilometers (roughly 3-4000km ) . Cheers

Last edited by basuroy : 19th June 2016 at 02:31.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 13:00   #5598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Hello folks , long time since I last posted here but I was involved in frequent relocation between cities and been bogged down for the past 8 months now .... Hit 5000km recently while exploring the Himalayan foothills based out of Siliguri . Had some insane experience on NH 2 when I was at Kolkata until few months back .

Overall the bike has done well so far , how is everyone here ? I see the bike is now going to appear in a striking new avatar .

Since I got the opportunity to ride on the NH2 , I observed the motorcycle vibrates a lot in 6th gear (mirrors and footpegs ) even though the engine feels a lot smoother than the lower gears , is this normal or something to get checked out ? I generally used to remain at 4th or 5th anyways and they didn't vibrate like the 6th .
I don't have any increase in vibrations in 6th. Offcourse it also depends on your speed but if you are at low triple digits, it should not be a problem. Do check it out.
Old 19th June 2016, 14:09   #5599
BHPian

Quote:
Hit 5000km recently while exploring the Himalayan foothills based out of Siliguri . Had some insane experience on NH 2 when I was at Kolkata until few months back .
Could you kindly share some photos or compose a travelogue?

I have spent my childhood in those parts and I couldn't help feeling nostalgic after reading your words.
Old 19th June 2016, 14:48   #5600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I don't have any increase in vibrations in 6th. Offcourse it also depends on your speed but if you are at low triple digits, it should not be a problem. Do check it out.
Could the vibes be due to some kind of a wheel balancing issue? I know it's not a major concern, but would be more pronounced at higher speeds i.e. 6th gear. Do ask svc center in case they are able to fix by way of wheel balancing..
Old 19th June 2016, 18:13   #5601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check the plastic guard at the bottom of the engine for any loosening. This has been reported here and can be one of the cause.
Old 20th June 2016, 10:23   #5602
BHPian

Done with my first service @ 998 kms on Saturday and on the way back through the city I did not notice any change. On return checked the oil window and the new oil looked pinkish red in color, everything else was clean and chain was cleaned & lubed. Paid 1550 inr total. I would take my chain cleaner and lube next time, the SVC would charge just 50 bucks then.

Next morning went out for a ride to lavasa and the difference was evident now. The bike was revving freely and climbed up the ghat so quickly. It was great fun. I revved the 390 to almost 7k and was super happy with the engine performance. The typical vibration at 5000 rpm is almost gone now. Post 6000 rpm the bike is completely vibe free. The nature of the engine in terms of vibes is exactly opposite compared to my old RE's, more rpm = less vibes

I've a small query regarding the service intervals. The next service is at 8500 kms or 150 days and 3rd service is at 16000 kms or 240 days. If you notice, the difference between the intervals is not standard. Is this okay? Additionally, the SVC put next service date on my bill 3 months later which added to the confusion. Can someone please let me know what to follow here? Best bet would be to follow the manual, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Siddy : 20th June 2016 at 10:45.
Old 20th June 2016, 12:49   #5603
BHPian

Quote:
Done with my first service @ 998 kms on Saturday and on the way back through the city I did not notice any change. On return checked the oil window and the new oil looked pinkish red in color, everything else was clean and chain was cleaned & lubed. Paid 1550 inr total. I would take my chain cleaner and lube next time, the SVC would charge just 50 bucks then.

Next morning went out for a ride to lavasa and the difference was evident now. The bike was revving freely and climbed up the ghat so quickly. It was great fun. I revved the 390 to almost 7k and was super happy with the engine performance. The typical vibration at 5000 rpm is almost gone now. Post 6000 rpm the bike is completely vibe free. The nature of the engine in terms of vibes is exactly opposite compared to my old RE's, more rpm = less vibes

I've a small query regarding the service intervals. The next service is at 8500 kms or 150 days and 3rd service is at 16000 kms or 240 days. If you notice, the difference between the intervals is not standard. Is this okay? Additionally, the SVC put next service date on my bill 3 months later which added to the confusion. Can someone please let me know what to follow here? Best bet would be to follow the manual, what do you guys think?
Which SVC are you using?
The best idea is to follow the manual so that no issue with warranty. However if you are friendly with the SVC, some days here and there should not matter. I would also recommend to do next service at 7500 and then 15000 and so on. The only reason being you will remember it as multiple of 7500. Starting at 8500km really throws up weird numbers.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 13:58   #5604
BHPian

Quote:
The printing-on-the-bill thing is normal. It happens here in Delhi too. They even call 2-3 days before the printed date as a reminder but I ignore it, since it's a marketing thing by them.

I followed the schedule in the service coupons until I got free services. After that, I serviced my bike as per my needs and requirements.
Follow the schedule mentioned in the service coupons. Also, have a good rapport with the SVC manager. That way, he'll give you latitude when it comes to postponing the service kilometre/date ceiling and also while claiming warranty for a defective part.

Last edited by barcalad : 20th June 2016 at 14:04.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 14:19   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
revved the 390 to almost 7k and was super happy with the engine performance. The typical vibration at 5000 rpm is almost gone now. Post 6000 rpm the bike is completely vibe free
Start riding at above 7k in each gear and you will be stunned by the little rockets performance.

I should be getting my hands on my 390 in a couple of weeks time, just looking for a good used one here. Not planning to buy a new one with 2017 version already going rounds.

Planning to get something used but with new tyres so i can take care of the rest of the year.

Regarding service - Just go with what the manual to avoid any warranty issues. But the warranty is anyway for 2 years. By this time you either have this bike or dont in case of the KTM. Most of them i know have sold and got a newer version of the 390 and i will see more for sale by the time the 2017 version is available.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 11:01   #5606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
The only reason being you will remember it as multiple of 7500. Starting at 8500km really throws up weird numbers.
Yes I'm gonna follow the manual for now, later on I plan to follow the 120 day schedule, sticking to the 7500 km window would be a problem for me because I ride only on weekends and 7500 kms would take up huge time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I followed the schedule in the service coupons until I got free services. After that, I serviced my bike as per my needs and requirements.
Glad to know we are in the same boat As you mentioned you service the bike as per your requirement, what interval do you follow now? How often do you change oil? TIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Start riding at above 7k in each gear and you will be stunned by the little rockets performance.
Yea, planning for a nice highway ride on the coming weekend, i'll touch the 7k+ range this time
I am not sure about the 2017 updates, SVC said the new version would be out late 2017 or first quarter 2018.

I plan to keep the 390 for a longtime, it takes care of all my needs. Won't be upgrading for another 3-4 years.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:12   #5607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to keep the 390 for a longtime, it takes care of all my needs. Won't be upgrading for another 3-4 years.
I wouldnt bet on it . We will only see affordable bikes starting to role out in the coming years as consumers start to go beyond the 2L bracket.

May 2017 is when i see the launch and probably early June availability. But thats my selfish ask as well.
Old 21st June 2016, 12:43   #5608
BHPian

I have a 2014 D390 and for now it stays as we have done loads of long rides, that said I still want to swap for a slipper clutch mainly for the lighter clutch feel.
I would have gone in for a 2016 D390 if not for the news of a all new model in 2017. So the wait begins.
Old 21st June 2016, 14:48   #5609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that said I still want to swap for a slipper clutch mainly for the lighter clutch feel.
Actually as long as your downshifting was already rev matching you would hardly see or feel the difference what the slipper clutch provides. Atleast thats what i felt. I tested back to back a pre slipper clutch RC390 vs newer RC390. Both had their rev limiter disabled meaning i was able to rev it hard. The slipper clutch was good specially coming out of the curves where you didnt have to rev match as you got out shifting down and the acceleration was linear throughout.

But its personal feedback and to me not having a slipper clutch is not a problem. In fact i am today searching for the 2013 early KTM 390 models to pay may be 50% of current market price. There are so many virgin KTm 390 from 2013 that was hardly used or abused and the delta difference to me is not worth plunging say 2.2L today. Also with 2017 on the way i am sure these 2013 KTM's can be had on or around 1L which is a killer deal and they have run less than 5K kms so far.
Old 21st June 2016, 15:32   #5610
Senior - BHPian

A good friend of mine decided to buy a 390 after having an extended TD of my bike. He being a only-brand-new guy, booked the bike at the KTM dealership at Mysore. A bike that was promised in 3-4 days was finally delivered yesterday evening, after more than 2 weeks.

Today morning, my friend set off for a ride on his new bike and this is the message I got in the noon-

" Lower portion of mudguard fell off somewhere. Heard a strange noise early morning while riding, didn't stop... maybe it was the mudguard saying goodbye 🤔 "

Ready to race.. but do check if all the bolts are tightened before you set off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks