Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 19:36   #5671
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice from the sides. +1 to all the above queries. Has the headlight beam spread affected due to this. I see it flush straight on the headlight housing. The rear saddle bag carrier also looks nicely done. Some pictures of that too please.
Old 25th July 2016, 19:45   #5672
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Looks nice, details and few detailed pics (of the mounting area) please. I hope this wont end up throwing all the muck to the radiator.

--Anoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
It will end up throwing all mud on the radiator. I've not tested I feel it will do that. In anticipation Ive ordered my fabricator to make a mesh grill for my radiator too.
Indeed it will throw mud on to the radiator. Even my fender allows that so I face that issue. I will be making a hugger to address that. Your mesh grill idea should also work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Queries posted above by Anoop
There are two holes under the lower tee where you can fit whatever you want to. I used them to attach my fender.

PS: The mud splatter on the headlight is from before I attached this fender. If you have no fender, this will happen.
Attached Images

Last edited by Darth Sid : 25th July 2016 at 19:46. Reason: Added postscript.
Darth Sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 23:47   #5673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Looks nice from the sides. +1 to all the above queries. Has the headlight beam spread affected due to this. I see it flush straight on the headlight housing. The rear saddle bag carrier also looks nicely done. Some pictures of that too please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Looks nice, details and few detailed pics (of the mounting area) please. I hope this wont end up throwing all the muck to the radiator.

--Anoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Nice! Looking good there bud

Request more details

Cost
Source of purchase
Queries posted above by Anoop

Mounts: Ive got four mounting points. Ive got L shaped steel plates which are bolted onto the holes just below the hinge for the headlight assembly.

You can see the front bracket clearly in the picture but the rear one is...its there I assure you

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20160725wa0027.jpg

Headlight: It isnt affected at all, in the pic you can see just the pilot lamp is illuminating the fender. The main beam doesn't even touch the fender.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20160725wa0031.jpg
Another Pic:
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20160725wa0035.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20160725wa0036.jpg
I got the fender off of aliexpress, I know the wait very well. It took almost a month and a half to reach. Costed me 1.5k inc of shipping. Though, you can get it quicker for 2.6k

This is the aliexpress link if anyones interested.

PS: The luggage carrier is actually the mount for the Dirtsack Llama

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20160725wa0028.jpg
ashwin1224 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 08:34   #5674
BHPian

Quote:
It will end up throwing all mud on the radiator. I've not tested I feel it will do that. In anticipation Ive ordered my fabricator to make a mesh grill for my radiator too.

Will edit this post later with details of the fender and mounting points.
The modifications look great!
The mesh grill will not be sufficient for the radiator. The slush (small dirt particles mixed with water) we have on roads will end up clogging the mesh.
Old 26th July 2016, 08:47   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
The mesh grill will not be sufficient for the radiator. The slush (small dirt particles mixed with water) we have on roads will end up clogging the mesh.
Thanx.

And yes, the mesh will clog with slush. But on the stock setup the slush gets jammed on between the fender and the wheel, rendering you stranded and often un-maneuverable in a tricky patch. On the other hand if the mesh gets clogged it wont stop me dead in my tracks, I can get to safety and clean it.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 10:35   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
Mounts: Ive got four mounting points. Ive got L shaped steel plates which are bolted onto the holes just below the hinge for the headlight assembly.

You can see the front bracket clearly in the picture but the rear one is...its there I assure you

Attachment 1533490
Hi,

How long you are using this fender, I purchased similar one locally and it lasted me for at most 20 km on 90 profile off-road tyre. It was hitting the tyre badly.

This is how it was looking.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm-duke-390-tyre.jpg

The Llama brackets are looking very sturdy and nice, is it possible for you to upload more clear photos from other angles.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:45   #5677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hi,

How long you are using this fender, I purchased similar one locally and it lasted me for at most 20 km on 90 profile off-road tyre. It was hitting the tyre badly.

The Llama brackets are looking very sturdy and nice, is it possible for you to upload more clear photos from other angles.
Ive used that same fender earlier. It is very narrow. Best suited for tyres under 80 profile. The problem is that its mounting section is way narrower than the promised 90 cross section.

Here is it compared to my current fender
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20160726wa0006.jpg

It doesnt seem much in the pic probably due to the angle but as well as being wide on the front it is pretty wide in the middle so it doesn't scrape the wheels
ashwin1224 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 13:48   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mounts: Ive got four mounting points.
the Dirtsack Llama
Thank you for the pictures and details. The mudguard looks sturdy and suits the bike well.

I get jitters when I take Duke on mud with the Michelin -I usually bails out at the moment the tyres start loosing the traction, so I have never encountered a situation where the mud is stuck between the mudguard and tyre so thick that it wont allow the tyre to move. Wish we had access to some good dual sport tyres which will allow us to enjoy the potential of Duke more in mud and other situations.

But, on my bullets and Unicorn, I have faced these kid of situations a lot, and have found out that a sturdy thread and few sticks are the best way to cut mud off the tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
+1. the bike looks really neat and purposeful with all the mods.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 17:08   #5679
BHPian

Quote:

Costed me 1.5k inc of shipping. Though, you can get it quicker for 2.6k
The mounts do look solid enough. Won't fall off for sure.

1.5k is reasonable. I got mine from a Yamaha SVC for 650 INR. The mounting strips are from a Bullet. 40 rupees for that. Labour and bolts were 110. SO that is 800 total. Had I bought a desi part, I would have saved 300 bucks.

To protect the radiator I will be using an RC's mudguard's rear part. Now that the mud problem has been mentioned I will have to be careful about the clearance from the tyre.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 14:00   #5680
BHPian

Guys need help! Planning to transport the bike from Bangalore to Chandigarh via Gati services for the maiden Ladakh trip, they are suggesting we empty the fuel in the tank before handing it over to them. Now is it safe to empty all the fuel from the tank, as it is FI engine?

And since there is no tap to control the fuel, I have planned to use the Siphon (used to remove water from fish tanks) as an alternative. Any other better ideas would be really helpful!
Old 1st August 2016, 14:07   #5681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Guys need help! Planning to transport the bike from Bangalore to Chandigarh via Gati services for the maiden Ladakh trip, they are suggesting we empty the fuel in the tank before handing it over to them. Now is it safe to empty all the fuel from the tank, as it is FI engine?

And since there is no tap to control the fuel, I have planned to use the Siphon (used to remove water from fish tanks) as an alternative. Any other better ideas would be really helpful!
Empty as much fuel as you can conveniently and tell them its bone dry inside. Its alright if theres some fuel left in the bike since there is no way for them to check it. Nor does it really matter. Also, can you share on what day you will be shipping the bike? Ive a few friends who are shipping their bikes as well, maybe you can club together and get a better deal?
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 14:12   #5682
BHPian

Quote:
Empty as much fuel as you can conveniently and tell them its bone dry inside. Its alright if theres some fuel left in the bike since there is no way for them to check it. Nor does it really matter. Also, can you share on what day you will be shipping the bike? Ive a few friends who are shipping their bikes as well, maybe you can club together and get a better deal?
Thank You! That would be a good idea, We are shipping it on 4th Aug from Singasandra Warehouse (Ecity- Hosur Road) quote around 6.5K
Old 1st August 2016, 16:47   #5683
BHPian

Quote:
Guys need help! Planning to transport the bike from Bangalore to Chandigarh via Gati services for the maiden Ladakh trip,
Two points.

1. Gati is notorious for tormenting bikes due to some policy of theirs which offers only Rs. 5000 as compensation for damages. Me and fellow bhpian Sammyboy used Transdaksh while transporting our bikes from Bangalore to Delhi. Not only was it cheaper and quicker but our respective bikes arrived scratchless. Do give it a second thought.

2. Please let me know whenever you (and other TBhpians if any) are in Delhi. We, the TBhp Delhi group, would love to meet you and catch up. PM me your number.

Cheers.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 18:55   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have sent you a PM, check it out.

Enjoy your ride. Cheers
unk9ja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 23:33   #5685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The FI will not be damaged if the fuel is removed as long as you do not turn on the ignition.

As you know, the electric fuel pump needs the fuel to cool and lubricate it but if it doesn't run no damage will occur.

To make super sure the fuel pump doesn't run while the tank is empty you might want to turn the "Engine Kill Switch" to the OFF position before you ship it.
That would keep anyone who might have access to the key from turning the power on.
Just be sure to remember to turn on the Kill Switch before you try to start the bike.

When your ready to start the motorcycle after it gets where it's going, be sure to put at least a couple of liters of fuel into the tank before you turn the ignition and kill switch on.

With new fuel in the tank it should be ready to go.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks