Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 13:38   #5701
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi
Has anyone tried replacing the pillion seat with the Ergo seat (retails for about $299 on amazon).
Old 16th August 2016, 14:27   #5702
BHPian

Guys,

Need some advice regarding adjusting chain slack. The chain on my d390 slaps like crazy while going over undulations, lately it has started to slap while riding over good roads too Last I got it tightened was some 600 kms back. Even after tightening the slap was not fully gone, chain slapped while going over bumps & potholes. Is this normal? Do I need to get it tightened after every 400-500 odd kms then?

Additionally, I've noticed the chain slapping when I change the gear and rev (approx @ 3500 revs), noise goes away as soon as rpm climbs. Do I need to check anything in particular? the noise takes away joy of riding.

TIA!

Last edited by Siddy : 16th August 2016 at 14:31.
Old 16th August 2016, 15:59   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Guys,

Need some advice regarding adjusting chain slack. The chain on my d390 slaps like crazy while going over undulations, lately it has started to slap while riding over good roads too Last I got it tightened was some 600 kms back. Even after tightening the slap was not fully gone, chain slapped while going over bumps & potholes. Is this normal? Do I need to get it tightened after every 400-500 odd kms then?

Additionally, I've noticed the chain slapping when I change the gear and rev (approx @ 3500 revs), noise goes away as soon as rpm climbs. Do I need to check anything in particular? the noise takes away joy of riding.

TIA!
Get your chain tightened after sitting on the bike. Get slack checked after every 500, when you lube it.

If you have crossed 13-15k on the odo, perhaps a change of the chain set may be in order.

Consider filling up the unwanted gaps in the chain cover and rear mudguard with 3M tape. I did this alongwith the aforementioned points and the chain slapping noise is now history.

Last edited by barcalad : 16th August 2016 at 16:02.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 16:09   #5704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Get your chain tightened after sitting on the bike. Get slack checked after every 500, when you lube it.

If you have crossed 13-15k on the odo, perhaps a change of the chain set may be in order.

Consider filling up the unwanted gaps in the chain cover and rear mudguard with 3M tape. I did this alongwith the aforementioned points and the chain slapping noise is now history.
Thanks barcalad!
My bike is just 2900 kms old I'll get the chain tightened while sitting on the bike, which I never did before.
Can you please post a pic of your chain cover? I want to see how you have filled the gaps with 3M tape?
TIA.
Old 16th August 2016, 19:34   #5705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Have added 2*20W LED Spot beams for my Duke 390. Ordered the lamps from the following link.
Some questions.

1. Any reason you didn't get the yellow ones.

2. Are these 20 or 30 degree spot?

3. Can you post a close up picture of the lights on the side? I wanted to take a look at the sealing used for water proofing.

4. Have you used them in the rain so far? How are the insides of the lights holding up?

5. What brand is tarsier? I could find nothing about them online.

I am thinking very seriously about these lights in yellow with a 20 degree spot.
Old 16th August 2016, 19:52   #5706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Some questions.

The yellow ones are used in foggy conditions where the beam penetrate the fog. Otherwise it is of no use. This may be useful up north, but will see very less duty down south except for a couple of months mostly in hillstations. The fog lamps have rating of around 1500K.

Similarly the white beams which are in excess of 5700K become useless in rains and fog. So as a compromise and to aid driveability in all the situations, the pale yellow with a rating of 2400K to 4700K of the normal bulbs is used.
unk9ja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 21:18   #5707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The yellow ones are used in foggy conditions where the beam penetrate the fog. Otherwise it is of no use. This may be useful up north, but will see very less duty down south except for a couple of months mostly in hillstations. The fog lamps have rating of around 1500K.

Similarly the white beams which are in excess of 5700K become useless in rains and fog. So as a compromise and to aid driveability in all the situations, the pale yellow with a rating of 2400K to 4700K of the normal bulbs is used.
Yes, the "yellow" ones on the link in amazon have a Kelvin rating of 3000 and 20° which are very interesting for me. It's kind of mid way and will hopefully offset the 5000k 4900 lumens spot driving combo I already have. These unfortunately are mounted lower and are not giving me good range. But within about 50 meters on a four Lane highway with high beams from opposing traffic, everything is like day light. But that elusive spot range...

Looking forward to answers to the other questions

Last edited by Red Liner : 16th August 2016 at 21:20.
Old 17th August 2016, 06:54   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
Some questions.

3. Can you post a close up picture of the lights on the side? I wanted to take a look at the sealing used for water proofing.

4. Have you used them in the rain so far? How are the insides of the lights holding up?

I am thinking very seriously about these lights in yellow with a 20 degree spot.
Im answering your questions as i have used the lights for 500 kms.

1. We do not encounter fog everyday and hence decided to go with white ones. Even if needed yellow lens for this model is available in amazon or simply paste a yellow sheet over it. I rode in light rain and visibility was much better than my stock halogen, maybe because of the brightness.

2. These are 20 degree spots atleast that is what is mentioned in amazon !

3. I think CGB can help you with this, as i don't have the bike with me now.

4. Light rains are ok as i rode in them. Quality is good!

5. Tarsier has a website so i guess it should be a decent brand. You have to see the light in person, it's just amazing.

Last edited by nitninja : 17th August 2016 at 06:55. Reason: added points
Old 17th August 2016, 08:58   #5709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Im answering your questions as i have used the lights for 500 kms.

1. We do not encounter fog everyday and hence decided to go with white ones. Even if needed yellow lens for this model is available in amazon or simply paste a yellow sheet over it. I rode in light rain and visibility was much better than my stock halogen, maybe because of the brightness.
Thank you! I was hoping you would respond.

I think on clear nights in the highway without fog or rain, the yellow 3000k will be a wasted enterprise for reach illumination. I think a warm 4300k will be better suited. What is your opinion?

But I couldn't find the yellow covers you mentioned. Could you please hit me up with a link to this?

This looks like a go for me. 20° spot with 4300k and yellow covers for rain, and maybe to use as additional drl during the day. Will be mounted high up above the head light and positioned for long range throw.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:44   #5710
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Some questions.

Hello Red liner, Myself and Nitninja have fitted the above lights and we are very satisfied with the result.

Let me explain you in detail.

1) We purchased 4300K 20W LED. We are skeptical about the Kelvins. But as unk9ja mentioned, we have a plan of putting up a yellow tint over it as these white lights are useless during the rain.

2) These lights are 20 degree spot but has decent illumination around the sides.

3) i'll upload the pics of the side for the seals. Did a pressure wash with the lights and there were no seepage of water inside the units.

4) Nitninja rode in rain and he is very happy with the output.

5) Tarsier LED's are renowed brands from USA.
Link: http://www.tarsierltd.com/

Quote:
We went for white ones, as we can put a yellow filter over the present lights. If we dont need, it's a easy job to revert back to 4300K white lights.

Quote:
I think on clear nights in the highway without fog or rain, the yellow 3000k will be a wasted enterprise for reach illumination. I think a warm 4300k will be better suited. What is your opinion?
Yes. 4300K will do the work and I'm happy with the output. I would whole heartedly reccomend you for the above setup.

Quote:
This looks like a go for me. 20° spot with 4300k and yellow covers for rain, and maybe to use as additional drl during the day. Will be mounted high up above the head light and positioned for long range throw.
Yes. I have planned for Versys 650 and will be carrying over the same setup of lights. Mount them on the fork or under the headlamps as they would provide you a excellent illumination.

We included Hella relay and wired the lights to accessory socket in our fuse box. So only when the ignition is ON, the lights are lit up.

Hope i have answered all your questions.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:04   #5711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Red liner, Myself and Nitninja have fitted the above lights and we are very satisfied with the result.

Let me explain you in detail.

We included Hella relay and wired the lights to accessory socket in our fuse box. So only when the ignition is ON, the lights are lit up.

Hope i have answered all your questions.
Thank you! Please do post pictures of the seal, I would appreciate that. But so far with both your feedback, this seems like a great bet.

I am still veering between the yellow and the white. Hope I am not over thinking my use cases.

The filters are stickers, so you just peel them off and replace them with new stickers I guess. Maybe cut a bunch of them and carry the stickers with you for application as and when it rains badly. Like those peel off visors. Haha.

Congratulations on your proposed versys, you will not be disappointed! Please speak to avinash to have you added to our wassapp group.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:20   #5712
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Please do post pictures of the seal, I would appreciate that. But so far with both your feedback, this seems like a great bet.
Yes it is. I will post the pics soon.

Quote:
I am still veering between the yellow and the white. Hope I am not over thinking my use cases.
The filters are stickers, so you just peel them off and replace them with new stickers I guess. Maybe cut a bunch of them and carry the stickers with you for application as and when it rains badly. Like those peel off visors. Haha.
Haha. Well, you can steer yourself into our "TINT TECHNIQUE" and enjoy both 4300K and 3500K at whatever time you want.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:28   #5713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is. I will post the pics soon.

Haha. Well, you can steer yourself into our "TINT TECHNIQUE" and enjoy both 4300K and 3500K at whatever time you want.
What is this tint technique? Could you please enlighten?
Old 17th August 2016, 11:53   #5714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Buddie,
You can apply a sheet of yellow tint over the Head light area to ensure the yellow light instead of white light.

You can find more details by clicking on the link below

https://www.amazon.com/inches-Adhesi.../dp/B008BLFHS0

or

http://www.lamin-x.com/Fog-Light-Film-Covers-s/1816.htm

Generally they last for a year with normal use but they will leave behind the glue residue which you need to wipe away with some petrol dipped waste. Need to be however careful when you do that as some might cause a reaction with the plastic on the headlight
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:16   #5715
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Have spoke to a nearby sticker shop and made some filters for the lights ready with medium yellow tint. Yet to paste them and check.

Most Viewed