Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2016, 18:52   #5551
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Thinking of ordering these - http://m-factorystore.com/for-ktm-du...der-foot-pegs/

Any opinions on this? I have only ever seen one Duke ever with these pegs at the racetrack. Apparently, these come with an adapter plate that can help with a more custom fit
Old 20th May 2016, 23:30   #5552
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is my understanding and i may be wrong with Duke but generally if its a coil failure i would start at the plugs.
Thanks for your help VW2010. Received my bike today and it was ignition sensor failure. The spark plug clearance is checked and it runs as good!
Old 21st May 2016, 00:33   #5553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Thinking of ordering these - http://m-factorystore.com/for-ktm-du...der-foot-pegs/

Any opinions on this? I have only ever seen one Duke ever with these pegs at the racetrack. Apparently, these come with an adapter plate that can help with a more custom fit
Billeted footpegs offer exceptional amount of grip helping you plant your foot. The stock rubber coated ones are too slippery in muddy conditions and while leaning into corners. Unless you off-road or ride really fast, the stock pegs should suffice.

In case you do plan to get the billet footpegs, get ones with replace-able cleats. Also, I personally prefer pegs with more cleats to a few, sharper ones.
Meccanico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 15:26   #5554
BHPian

Has anyone tried swapping the 2014 clutch unit with the 2015 slipper clutch unit. It's a direct swap according to specs and a few KTM people.

I'm thinking about it considering the annoyingly hard clutch in traffic conditions in the stock clutch on 2014 bikes. Rode the 2016 D390 and it had a very light clutch and sharper throttle thanks to the quick throttle unit.
Old 21st May 2016, 17:11   #5555
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Fitted the fazer windscreen yesterday and did a highway trip of 200 kms.It is not as effective as my previous windscreen and morover crosswinds cause the windshield to flex a lot.I will be fixing back my old windscreen though rattles a bit but defintely was much better!
From where did you buy the fazer windscreen.I am unable to find one in trivandrum. Also which was your previous windscreen.

Has anyone fitted ixil x55 slip on exhaust. Itching to buy one. Worried about whether these slipon exhaust will have any negative effect on engine.
Old 21st May 2016, 17:28   #5556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post
Has anyone tried swapping the 2014 clutch unit with the 2015 slipper clutch unit. It's a direct swap according to specs and a few KTM people.

I'm thinking about it considering the annoyingly hard clutch in traffic conditions in the stock clutch on 2014 bikes. Rode the 2016 D390 and it had a very light clutch and sharper throttle thanks to the quick throttle unit.
Yes it is possible for a sum of 9-9.5k and any SVC will do the job. My friend has gone for it and now the raging beast has slightly mellowed down as it feels. But a couple of others who went for it have reverted back to the old setup as it robs the fun factor.

My advice is if you can get a slipper clutch bike for a day, use it and then decide.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 19:05   #5557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
From where did you buy the fazer windscreen.I am unable to find one in trivandrum. Also which was your previous windscreen.

Has anyone fitted ixil x55 slip on exhaust. Itching to buy one. Worried about whether these slipon exhaust will have any negative effect on engine.
If you can stretch get the MRA NKB screen, no vibes and it's an easy on/off kit. I have used it on my 4000 km across India and it was a godsend at speed.
I would not suggest the ixil as it is noisier for no gains as it is a slip on and its extra weight on the side will affect the fine balance the D390 has. Try the akropovic it is lighter, it is a full system and comes standard on the UK 2016 RC390. Again if you are willing to put that kind of outlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Yes it is possible for a sum of 9-9.5k and any SVC will do the job. My friend has gone for it and now the raging beast has slightly mellowed down as it feels. But a couple of others who went for it have reverted back to the old setup as it robs the fun factor.

My advice is if you can get a slipper clutch bike for a day, use it and then decide.
I rode the 2016 D390 and it was much easier to deal with in the traffic, mellow or tamer is hard to think of with that 373cc of madness powering the bike.
It is more civilized, so I'm very tempted now that I know it can be done.
amitc7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 23:28   #5558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post

i bought the fazer windscreen from a yamaha service centre in chennai.My previous windscreen was from royal motorcycles.My windshield is same as in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:53   #5559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
This is not a battery issue. The stator coil on your bike is burnt because of which it is not recharging your battery while in motion. Stator coil will be replaced under warranty. This is a known issue with both the D200 and the D390.

Also, leaving it one more night will ensure you can't even start the bike, no not even a dhakka start.
Bumping into this thread late since I faced same problem in my GS150R. It is just 1.5 years old and has done ~40k kms.

The initial symptom was headlight was turning ON. Later the speedo was not showing the numbers and backfiring kind of ride. Then the bike came to a complete stop. Allowed to cool for sometime and then again started and took it to SVC.
They replaced it for 800 INR. Warranty won't apply for me since I missed one service in between.

My question is: How a stator coil can fail at such a short period of ownership. I had one Hero Honda Passion which had done 1L. No engine work or anything was done on this.
Another thing, the A.S.S told is my cylinder and piston is weak and I need to keep a check on Engine oil frequently.
Shocked to see such things on a bike which has done 40k.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:55   #5560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccanico View Post
I do understand! No worries.

Also, I have used Ralco button tyres on my D200 for off-roading several times. I would have preferred MRF's but no dealer in Pune seemed to have the size I wanted. Ralcos did the job and were a bit cheaper as well. Although I cant recollect the exact name of the tyre, they did the job pretty well.
@Meccanico - how has your experience been with the Ralco tyres i.e. Grip and feel perspective? Also what were the sizes?
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:39   #5561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
@Meccanico - how has your experience been with the Ralco tyres i.e. Grip and feel perspective? Also what were the sizes?
I used Speed Blasters. 110/80 front and 120/80 rear. Not the best grip. The tread depth is quite little. Had to feed in throttle really slowly as opposed to MRF's or CEAT's. They are cheap though.
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:14   #5562
BHPian

Does anyone use tankgrips? Any reviews specifically with respect to the Duke 390 (hence not posted in the rising gear thread). A local shop in Pune offering the ones which are attached a pictures to this post
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1464011033094.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1464011050995.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2016, 23:53   #5563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Additionally, I did 100+ on small empty stretch today and the front Michelin Sirac is sounding dangerous. I am running on 30 Psi, will drop to 28 tomorrow
Hey buddy, how's it going? Hope you were able to clock some more miles on your duke with new shoes over the weekend

So what's the word on these tyres for street use? Yay or Nay?
Old 24th May 2016, 00:01   #5564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey buddy, how's it going? Hope you were able to clock some more miles on your duke with new shoes over the weekend

So what's the word on these tyres for street use? Yay or Nay?
Hey,

Yep clocked almost 300+ km on these new tyres and I am confused about it seriously.

For 100% on road I will suggest these tyres are not good and you should go for Michelin Streets which costs around 10 K for pair and works well in all road and condition.

For 70% off road / bad roads my pair is prefect. You can't do 100+ on these tyre simply because you loose the stability and breaking of the Metzlers.

However let me reserve my final verdict till I complete my Ladakh trip which will be mix of Highways / good roads / off roads / no roads.

Edit: Addition to that you do not have any option available for rear in 130/140. The present one I got lucky. I feel downsizing from 150 to 120 is not advisable at all.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 24th May 2016 at 00:10.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 08:37   #5565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Does anyone use tankgrips? Any reviews specifically with respect to the Duke 390 (hence not posted in the rising gear thread). A local shop in Pune offering the ones which are attached a pictures to this post
I have been using the stompgrip on my duke for almost 2 years , it is absolutely brilliant ,albeit expensive .
The grip is solid and the quality is superb, if you get the universal one you have to cut it to shape for the duke ,they don't make specific ones for the duke .
I got it shipped from the UK for almost 5.5 k .
How much are they selling it here for ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks