Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2016, 15:21   #5431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Guys,

Need quick answer so posting it here instead of price check thread.

KTM Duke 390 - 19 Jan 2016 purchased. Pune registered (New is costing 2.14 here now)
First servicing done, only 800 km run.

How much should we quote?
Start from 1.75l and go to a max of 1.85l if you find everything is fine. I know it is low balling, but selling off a bike within 3 months definitely raises eyebrows. And for that wee bit more, you get a new bike and peace of mind. To offset this feeling, I think 1.85l would be a good price.

Also with the rumors of a new platform launch for the next year, this bike would become an obsolete design. Push your luck on this.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 15:48   #5432
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

My advice is quote what you think you will let go of your own bike in that condition.

I hate to suggest a quote because we never seem to take a similar stand when we decide to sell ourbikes.

Just think about the condition and go with your gut feeling.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 08:32   #5433
Senior - BHPian

Gents - please see pic below. That rubber hose on the right is the air intake, correct?

does anyone else feel it should ideal be pointing in the other direction? This way, at high speed wouldn't it help get more air in, like a ram air effect? Anyone else tried changing the direction and maybe chop the intake pipe in half?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

Old 24th April 2016, 10:37   #5434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
does anyone else feel it should ideal be pointing in the other direction?
It would make it more vulnerable to water/ road debris entering, no?
Old 24th April 2016, 10:52   #5435
BHPian

Quote:
Gents - please see pic below. That rubber hose on the right is the air intake, correct?

does anyone else feel it should ideal be pointing in the other direction? This way, at high speed wouldn't it help get more air in, like a ram air effect? Anyone else tried changing the direction and maybe chop the intake pipe in half?
While it may seem so, I am sure KTM and Bajaj have hundreds of hours of analysis (and countless hours of experience) to design the pipe the way it is.
If you are planning to change the direction and chop, I would highly recommend to keep a way to go back to original design if needed.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:51   #5436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Start from 1.75l and go to a max of 1.85l if you find everything is fine. I know it is low balling, but selling off a bike within 3 months definitely raises eyebrows. And for that wee bit more, you get a new bike and peace of mind. To offset this feeling, I think 1.85l would be a good price.

Also with the rumors of a new platform launch for the next year, this bike would become an obsolete design. Push your luck on this.
Ok, yes I am doing same however the problem is this person have loan on bike and now bank says you can't forclose before 6 months. So we are finding the ways to close the deal. The person purchased the bike enthusiatically however he have spondylosis and can't ride the bike now. Also he owns a business so have ridden only with in city. I feel he is genuine so going ahead with it.

BTW I am going to Leh on Duke 390 in June so more question are coming to you in sometime and I am going through your thread 5th/6th time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My advice is quote what you think you will let go of your own bike in that condition.

I hate to suggest a quote because we never seem to take a similar stand when we decide to sell ourbikes.

Just think about the condition and go with your gut feeling.
Yes sir ! Same feeling. I am buying this bike on happy note.

Also have checked the history in ASC and there is no major work or anything. Only first service done.
Old 24th April 2016, 20:26   #5437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
While it may seem so, I am sure KTM and Bajaj have hundreds of hours of analysis (and countless hours of experience) to design the pipe the way it is.
If you are planning to change the direction and chop, I would highly recommend to keep a way to go back to original design if needed.
I get what you are saying. But common sense alone would tell u this is counterproductive. Engineers have a lot to worry about besides performance such as making things fit in tight spaces, emissions etc

Still looking for an answer gents. Any help would be appreciated
Old 24th April 2016, 20:46   #5438
Senior - BHPian

The fuel injection system is already taking care of the required air fuel ratio. Unless one can see a visible difference in these mods which inturn may require a new mapping i am not sure how different this change would be. The bike is designed to run optimally well with these settings.

Secondly the air fuel ratio is probably electronically controlled and just pumping more air may only take up more fuel based on throttle input or vice versa where engine automatically closes air intake to maintain the mapped af ratio.

Engineering is such that more may not be the right answer.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:17   #5439
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I too got my seat padded recently with foam. I was actually happy with the seat in general and found it really supportive, however I always felt I could use a little more space and relieve some pressure from the knees (taller seat = lesser bend in knees) and therefore wanted a taller saddle

The seat height has increased by roughly 1.5 inches and while it has become roomier, the forward lean has increased too. Plus, I got the seat wrapped in that net / Jaali type cover which is super slippery and takes more effort to keep yourself in place when you are braking hard; especially if you have a pillion with you

This weekend, I am getting a jugaad type handlebar riser made to make the seating position more upright and will get the jaali removed. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome
Alternatively you could also use the bar raisers developed by indomotard's grease house customs. Works fine and is machined from high grade alloy. I have them on my 390 and helps relax the sitting posture (torso upwards). Some pics attached below.

I always found the seat to be hard, so with raised bars, i though there is scope to raise the seat height a bit by adding foam/gel. As you mentioned, one reason also was to relieve pressure on the lower leg/knee by increasing the seat height a bit. (knee bent angle automatically reduces a bit with increase in seat height)
bought a half-inch gelpad from biking spirit and headed to Raos at shivaji nagar. My bike is the first lot and has been subjected to standing in excessive rain for all these years. (yes, office does not have a covered parking). so the seat cover was like glued to the foam. Had to remove the cover like how they de-skin a goat. the OEM cover was not in a re-usable state. added some foam, and put the gel pad over it, and fixed a new cover which had similar texture and feel as the oem. the seat height overall is increased by about 20mm. rode back home in heavy traffic and heat. the raised seat height does relax the knee bend, and a bit of foam + gel pad helps absorb the smaller shocks transferred from uneven road surface. Only issue i see it that with added height, there is a bit of gap created between the rider and pillion seat, which feels a bit odd (not necessarily bad, but different, as one is not used to it). Will have to ride a bit more to see how much difference the whole mod makes.

This saturday, also removed and shaved the rear part of my versys rider seat. rode the bike to office today, and this one does feel much better.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-01.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-02.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-03.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-01-04.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 25th April 2016 at 12:20.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 13:08   #5440
Distinguished - BHPian

Nasir kaka, please post the versys seat mod on the versys thread, so we can have a look at it!
Old 25th April 2016, 14:22   #5441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasir kaka, please post the versys seat mod on the versys thread, so we can have a look at it!
Done! Do have a look on the versys thread.
Old 25th April 2016, 18:32   #5442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Alternatively you could also use the bar raisers developed by indomotard's grease house customs

I always found the seat to be hard, so with raised bars
I spoke to the Indimotard guys. The risers would have cost me 2500 bucks shipped. That's a little steep if you ask me. Also, they mentioned that the Duke 200 risers that retail for like 1600 bucks would not be a good fit for the 390. What gives? Minus the bar end weights I always thought these were pretty much the same handlebars

I have already ordered a pair of risers, guess you missed my post below

On a sidenote, I simply cannot bring myself to pay through the nose for what seems simple machining / fabrication work, and this extends to other accessories like luggage racks, panniers, paddock stands etc

Very happy that there are some relatively affordable options coming up for these farkles

Quote:
Just ordered a pair of bar risers (1 inch) from the same place I ordered the strap in Gel seat for the pillion

Link - http://shop.redlineplus.in/motorcycl...90-1-inch.html

947 bucks shipped! Not bad

The jugaad I was going to go for would have cost me 600 bucks + min 2 hours of fabrication time + traversing the horribly congested confines of Jhandewalan in 40+ degrees heat
Old 25th April 2016, 19:46   #5443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the Indimotard guys. The risers would have cost me 2500 bucks shipped.
Thats a bit high!! I had seen the ones u ordered, but IM being relatively closer and known, 1600 including fitment was passable. Anyways, hope with the risers and increased seat height, the posture improves. Do share feedback after the mod is done.
Old 25th April 2016, 20:38   #5444
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
My 390 is closing in on 18k kms and i just found this yesterday. There is a visible oily residue on the head region of the block. Both behind the radiator and the rear of the block above the throttle body

Read in motorcyclist magazine that the reason for significant number of 390 head gasket failures is imperfect head surfacing and the head getting warped when the bike overheats
It's been a common failure in every 390 engine! Even my head gasket was changed and two oil seeps from the side were arrested during the service after that it never occurred again ! But giving it a inspection during every month or before long rides could be better !
Old 25th April 2016, 20:55   #5445
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I always found the seat to be hard, so with raised bars, i though there is scope to raise the seat height a bit by adding foam/gel. As you mentioned, one reason also was to relieve pressure on the lower leg/knee by increasing the seat height a bit. (knee bent angle automatically reduces a bit with increase in seat height)
Nasirkaka,
I've done this in my bike and completed more than 10,000kms! I have added a layer of soft foam outside the OEM seat and layered with a soft material. It made a world of difference during rides and there was no pain or fatigue! Also the pillion seat is comfortable due to the extra padding It is a recommended upgrade for dukes
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks