Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 14:20   #5416
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

faced my 1st issue - front fork oil seal leak. Running behind the KTM service centre now as this is out of stock :(
Old 20th April 2016, 14:34   #5417
BHPian

Hi scarecrow, was this ^^ issue before the service interval to replace the oil seal? Worried:rolleyes:
Old 20th April 2016, 18:36   #5418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If your racing at The Isle of Mann you might want to use the DOT 5.1 fluid.
You bring up an interesting point. Apparently, for racing purposes as well there's a "special" DOT 4 liquid that is used by most folks called "BF 307"

I read about it here - http://ebcbrakes.com/product/brake-fluids/
Old 20th April 2016, 18:54   #5419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Hi scarecrow, was this ^^ issue before the service interval to replace the oil seal? Worried:rolleyes:
Not sure if i understood your query, but this was the 1st issue i faced with the bike, apart from the brake squealing issues which comes and goes.

They replaced the oil seal under warranty, but it took sometime as this part doesn't seem to be in stock.

Nothing to be worried, as its a small issue to address.

Regards
Ronald
Old 21st April 2016, 03:24   #5420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You bring up an interesting point. Apparently, for racing purposes as well there's a "special" DOT 4 liquid that is used by most folks called "BF 307"

I read about it here - http://ebcbrakes.com/product/brake-fluids/
Thank you for the link.
The way I read it, EBC has a rather justified dislike for the name many refer to as DOT 5.1 so they call this high temperature fluid BF 307.

As the link points out, DOT 5 (without the .1) is a silicon based fluid and it is totally incompatible with the Glycol based DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids.

I learned this the hard way over 20 years ago when DOT 5 Silicone based fluid came on the market.

I had read the DOT 5 silicon based fluid does not draw moisture out of the air like the Glycol based fluids can do so I decided I wanted to replace the DOT 3 fluid in my BMW motorcycle with it.

Although I used the DOT 5 fluid to flush out my disk brake system many times before giving it a final filling I did not understand that the DOT 5 fluid was incompatible with the hoses and seals in my motorcycles brake system.

About a month after making the conversion my brake caliper piston seals began to leak and the master cylinder would "leak down" if I maintained pressure on the brake lever.

I took it to my BMW dealer and he said that the flexible hoses were also deteriorating and it would require the replacement of every rubber part in the system.
More hundreds of dollars than I like to think about were spent fixing my mistake but when it was done, it lasted for many years using good old DOT 3 fluid.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 09:22   #5421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Track day update:

The tyre:

Many of my riding buddies felt that a track day on the IRCs would be "interesting". Quite honestly, the tyre has performed brilliantly on the streets and not given me a reason to complain. But track days are a different animal. Be it on the straights, cornering or braking - you are at the absolute limit. How would this 2800 rupee tyre hold; I wondered

Glad to report, the tyre performed brilliantly. Even when leaned over at peg grinding levels, the tyre never misbehaved or felt like its about to let loose. I did feel some swaying while on the back straight, but other folks including Mehul complained of the same (He was on Metz). My guess is it could be the cross winds, or maybe because the tyre was at its very limit. The tyre's speed rating is "S", which translates to 180 KPH (112 MPH). For touring, commuting and even an occasional track day, I whole heartedly recommend this tyre

Ride safe!

Hi Urban_Nomad, very pleased to hear that the IRC road winners performed well.For 2800 they look like absolute steal. This report puts to rest the negative reports that some of my friends who have IRC RX01 on their Ninjas . Where did you purchase them? Are they available online?

@Fellow dukers- Any idea where we can get these in Bangalore?
Old 21st April 2016, 15:50   #5422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Cakes alright, but I wonder if they will be open to any kind of cashback or goodies. Any thoughts?
Do not expect any freebies from ktm. They didnt even give me a keychain worth Rs 100 for free.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:31   #5423
BHPian

My 390 is closing in on 18k kms and i just found this yesterday. There is a visible oily residue on the head region of the block. Both behind the radiator and the rear of the block above the throttle body. Since both places are not easily visible to the eyes in normal inspection the leak has somehow gone unnoticed. I was removing the belly pan to clean the muck and that's when i noticed the oily remaining. It seems to be leaking from the valve cover gasket. I have already changed the gasket 8k kms back in July and got it re sealed. But at that time it was only a weep.

Read in motorcyclist magazine that the reason for significant number of 390 head gasket failures is imperfect head surfacing and the head getting warped when the bike overheats
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1461297498529.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1461297509583.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1461297523264.jpg  

Last edited by b16h22 : 22nd April 2016 at 09:44.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:37   #5424
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Wrong advice. Never replace your brake oil with DOT 5 unless specified by your manufacturer

You can however use DOT 5.1 but never 5. Not for the Katoom at least
Bach gaya!!

I was almost about to replace DOT4 with DOT5 on the 390, reason being, it was advised by grease house of indimotard. Recently got the front brake system bled from Autoservice and they suggested to stick to DOT4, also DOT5 was not available. After bleeding and servicing the brake system, the feel and braking seems to have improved.

Quote:
faced my 1st issue - front fork oil seal leak. Running behind the KTM service centre now as this is out of stock :(
Is it the front right side fork? I have had 5 times seal failure on the same, and just got the bike a couple of days back, after fixing the last broken seal. At 2nd failure, even the downtube was replaced with a new one, still the issue kept surfacing. One more time, and i will replace the entire right side fork assembly with a new one. f
was talking to a Bajaj representative about frequent seal failures on the 390, and surprisingly, he shrugged it off as one-off cases. Mentioning that if there were about 20 cases reported, the company would take the issue as a panic situation and work towards resolving it. I left it by saying that team bhp is full of reports of broken fork oil seals.

Quote:
Do not expect any freebies from ktm. They didnt even give me a keychain worth Rs 100 for free.
Bajaj, KTM and Kawasaki brothers are full kanjoos. I insisted on atleast a kawasaki keychain while taking the versys, to which they surprisingly agreed. What they gave was a puny rubber keychain, locally made, with KHIVRAJ KAWASAKI embossed. It was so so bad, i just chucked it somewhere. Another thing irritating is giving measly 3 lts of fuel at the time of delivery. For a 2.5 L bike, least they can do it give a full tank. Not that Duke tank is big.

Ok, tomorrow i am planning to add some foam (about an inch) to the rider seat of my 390, as i feel the seat is become harder over time. Not much particular about how it would look, would be fine as long as comfort factor improves. Can i re-use the OEM seat cover? can it be removed without damaging it? Has anyone tried something similar? Any pointers would be helpful.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 22nd April 2016 at 11:42.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:06   #5425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Can i re-use the OEM seat cover? can it be removed without damaging it? Has anyone tried something similar? Any pointers would be helpful.
With a little jugaad you should be able to if the seat guy is careful in removing the seat cover without damaging it. Adding extra foam might render the cover a little short on the sides due to the increased height. But there is always some extra cover left during the stapling process. A good seat maker should be able to retain the original cover.
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:55   #5426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Ok, tomorrow i am planning to add some foam (about an inch) to the rider seat of my 390, as i feel the seat is become harder over time. Not much particular about how it would look, would be fine as long as comfort factor improves. Can i re-use the OEM seat cover? can it be removed without damaging it? Has anyone tried something similar? Any pointers would be helpful.
Sir,

Instead of adding foam (Which I had added initially and suffered for it after a few months), I'd suggest adding a slab of gel on the existing seat.
I added a half-inch of gel which I bought from Bikingspirit and got a seat cover added to it.
Its made a world of difference in terms of comfort on the saddle and added just half-an-inch to the saddle height.

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:40   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Instead of adding foam (Which I had added initially and suffered for it after a few months), I'd suggest adding a slab of gel on the existing seat.
I added a half-inch of gel which I bought from Bikingspirit and got a seat cover added to it.
Its made a world of difference in terms of comfort on the saddle and added just half-an-inch to the saddle height.
Thanks. did you cut a small recess in the OEM foam and added the gel pad? or did you wrap the whole seat with gel sheet? any reference pics of WIP would be great help. Just wanted to understand how its done. I am ok with a little increase in saddle height. Did you do the mod yourself or was it done at Rao's?
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:36   #5428
Senior - BHPian

I too got my seat padded recently with foam. I was actually happy with the seat in general and found it really supportive, however I always felt I could use a little more space and relieve some pressure from the knees (taller seat = lesser bend in knees) and therefore wanted a taller saddle

The seat height has increased by roughly 1.5 inches and while it has become roomier, the forward lean has increased too. Plus, I got the seat wrapped in that net / Jaali type cover which is super slippery and takes more effort to keep yourself in place when you are braking hard; especially if you have a pillion with you

This weekend, I am getting a jugaad type handlebar riser made to make the seating position more upright and will get the jaali removed. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 22nd April 2016 at 18:47.
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:52   #5429
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for the back to back posts. Just ordered a pair of bar risers (1 inch) from the same place I ordered the strap in Gel seat for the pillion

Link - http://shop.redlineplus.in/motorcycl...90-1-inch.html

947 bucks shipped! Not bad

The jugaad I was going to go for would have cost me 600 bucks + min 2 hours of fabrication time + traversing the horribly congested confines of Jhandewalan in 40+ degrees heat

Full paisa vasool IMO. Will share feedback once it gets here, which should be in another week or so

Edit - Next up; adjustable hand levers
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 20:34   #5430
BHPian

Guys,

Need quick answer so posting it here instead of price check thread.

KTM Duke 390 - 19 Jan 2016 purchased. Pune registered (New is costing 2.14 here now)
First servicing done, only 800 km run.

How much should we quote?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks