Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 11:24   #5341
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Actually i am bored with naked and ok to go through the pain. I know exactly what you are saying but the naked stops at a point where riding gets difficult with the wind. On those highways i prefer the racer position simply because its much more comfortable cutting through the wind and less on fatigue for body.Wind is the biggest enemy for sapping energy during long rides. Even with a proper wind shield it gets very difficult. Its good to see this perspective because i am actually bored with Naked bikes and want to try the sports version.

I am completely aware of its limitation specifically on shoulders, back elbow and knees while at the same time i am excited that riding will be super fun to scrape those knees or atleast hoping.
i must really say difference in handling is very much noticable.coming from Rc im still not able to comfortably lean on corners with duke.Rc has that precision where it begs the rider to lean more and more whereas duke feels a bit awkward after leaning to a particular angle and when further leaning is needed.Rc is leagues ahead when it comes to handling and i must admit there is no comparison between these two.
Windblast is a major concern, It saps the energy from the rider more so on summers.As you said racer position is what is needed for those long hauls.I would prefer racer position if only my health allows me to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats on the D390!

Could you please let us know if you can feel any reduction in wind blast due to the windshield
thank you mile crucher.Wind blast is reduced but not to sport tourer levels.Problem with this windshield is that wind is being directed to shoulders more.chest and helmet area feels much better now.Will be doing a 700 kms round trip next month, maybe that can clearly tell the advantages with this windhshield.If i may suggest, please look at mra windshields if cost is not an issue. Most of the reviews are positive for this product.
Old 21st March 2016, 11:25   #5342
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this product for chain cleaning. Any reviews of this from the users?

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B013..._rhf_sc_s_cp_7
Old 21st March 2016, 12:08   #5343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Came across this product for chain cleaning. Any reviews of this from the users?

Does one really need this thing? I saw the guys at marketyard KTM in Pune clean and lube my chain, they just used a rag after spraying the chain cleaner. That did a good enough job. Didn't notice such a tool in their arsenal, unless they had it hidden somewhere
Old 21st March 2016, 12:26   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Does one really need this thing? I saw the guys at marketyard KTM in Pune clean and lube my chain, they just used a rag after spraying the chain cleaner. That did a good enough job. Didn't notice such a tool in their arsenal, unless they had it hidden somewhere
Nope. A lint free rag or old toothbrush is more than enough. Only thing to remember is to keep the engine off-- if you value your fingers.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:29   #5345
BHPian

Quote:
I've in my possession this tool for chain cleaning. I'd got it in 2013 from Amazon US when it was not yet available here (online) in India.

I feel it is a good tool for removing grit/sand sticking to the chain. The bristles are pretty tough and still holding up well after almost 3 yrs. The size of the bristles holder can be adjusted to the chain size so that you get a tight grip on the chain while rotating the tire.

Moreover it is safe since your hands / fingers are away from the chain while cleaning it.

It works best when used along with a chain cleaner fluid which loosens up the grime first. I remember seeing one from Motul on Amazon.in. But I'm sure you know which chain cleaner to use.

The longer bristles on the other end are plasticky and frankly not very useful unless you're cleaning your tire's tread or something like that.

I'll definitely replace my current one whenever it gives up
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 12:57   #5346
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Been using this for many years now. This appears to be a cheaper clone of the original Grunge Brush by DuPont.

Rags and toothbrushes do the job but not as efficiently and are tedious too since chain cleaning is such a repetitive task. This tool definitely makes the job a lot easier and safer too. (I clean and lube mine every 500kms or thereabouts)

I use the other end for cleaning the sprocket teeth. Does the job well.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 14:40   #5347
BHPian

Quote:

I use this extensively and is very useful. Gets the muck out of the chain. I got this from aliexpress for a cheaper price, but you have to wait looong (sometimes I forget that I ordered this and one fine day it arrives as a surprize)
razorBlades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:15   #5348
BHPian

Quote:

I think the folks at service center use this as well.(May not be this exactly, but of a different brand or so.)
I've seen them using a similar looking thing to clean the chain.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:08   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Had taken the bike to kasturba road service station in Bangalore, my first visit to them. This is for a major service post 30,000kms of running. After i land at the service station, i notice the freshly broken front right side fork seal (again?? for the 4th time), with fresh oil leak from the tube all over the alloy and tyre. Bad thing it happened again, good thing it happened just before i was leaving the bike for service so the seal can be replaced. I find this as a major reliability issue on tours, and its not like i subject the bike to off-road /dusty conditions. i wanted to trade my 390 for the recently launched himalayan for the reliability and comfort factor, test rode the H and was not too impressed. maybe the test ride bike, will try again.
Overall the 390 had become very rough, and low on acceleration and vibey. Do we need to change the clutch plates?? have asked them to check and replace if required. we are replacing both the brake fluid and pads, spark plug, etc. May receive the bike in a day or two. Hoping i connect with the bike again.
Is there a way to raise the handle bar a bait? do we get a bar raiser for duke? will the OEM cables hold good or fall short. Anyone here tried something?
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:46   #5350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Is there a way to raise the handle bar a bait? do we get a bar raiser for duke? will the OEM cables hold good or fall short. Anyone here tried something?
All your questions answered by the gentleman here.
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:19   #5351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Yes, I had used the same raisers from Greasehouse. I dont know about the 200, but clutch cable is a problem for the Duke 390. I have tried different rerouting options. Still when i turn left, the clutch stretches and all the free play is gone from the lever. I'm now looking for a different cable that is slightly lengthier.

Last edited by K a s h : 23rd March 2016 at 12:21.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:07   #5352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Still when i turn left, the clutch stretches and all the free play is gone from the lever. I'm now looking for a different cable that is slightly lengthier.
This reduction in clutch freeplay is there even with the stock handlebar. Infact that is why they have put the free play. The accelerator too will lose the freeplay when turned right (IIRC).
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:39   #5353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
This reduction in clutch freeplay is there even with the stock handlebar.
No so much. With the raisers, when i look down at the clutch cover on the right, I can see the cable pulled slightly when i turn left(as shown in the red arrow).
The clutch lever is harder when i turn left and its back to normal feel when its straight or right. Never felt this before the raisers.

My duke has done 3.5k kms and I'm keen on getting my valve clearance checked. Has anyone done this recently at any of the authorized service centers in Bangalore?
Attached Images

Last edited by K a s h : 23rd March 2016 at 14:01.
Old 24th March 2016, 01:31   #5354
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Dwarka now has a brand new service Center. Great news for folks like me

And I'm told these guys have kept a ps4 and a station with headphones to listen to some music

Will check it out this Friday for sure

Old 24th March 2016, 10:15   #5355
BHPian

Planning to get my front number plate mounted on the forks (just below the headlamp).

Can anyone tell me the pros, cons and the procedure for it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks