Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 18:03   #5221
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Got my rear tyre replaced - 140/70/17 IRC road winner @ 3k. Have barely ridden around on it. Will post pics n initial impressions once I clock a couple or so hundred Kms on it

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 31st January 2016 at 18:05.
Old 31st January 2016, 22:22   #5222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Looks like a puncture. But seems to me its sealed itself for now. Does anyone know if the chaps at those big bridgestone and jk tyre outlets deal with these in a professional manner?
Kam, doesn't look that bad. The regular tyre repair guys can deal with this well enough. Just pay attention while they're at it, several scams vis-a-vis number of punctures done at the site abound.
Old 31st January 2016, 23:00   #5223
BHPian

^^thanks Ricci. I'll get it looked at in the morning, luckily there's bridgestone shops on the way to and right near work for me so its not a problem. But thanks for alerting me on the scams part. I'll be more careful with that in mind :thumbup:
Old 1st February 2016, 09:31   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone have any news on the new KTM 390 2017 versions? Any spy pictures? Engine configurations? What I have read is that the new engines will be uprated a bit on bhp.

This and the possibility of the new 500/800 twin launch in India is putting me off buying either a new or used 390 in June this year.
Old 1st February 2016, 11:20   #5225
BHPian

Guys any news on the Adventure/ Explorer edition of 390 or 690?
Old 1st February 2016, 11:40   #5226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Guys any news on the Adventure/ Explorer edition of 390 or 690?
Both the existing 390 and 690 platforms are in their last model year of 2016. We will have all new line ups next year... See my post above!
Old 1st February 2016, 11:42   #5227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Got my rear tyre replaced - 140/70/17 IRC road winner @ 3k. Have barely ridden around on it. Will post pics n initial impressions once I clock a couple or so hundred Kms on it
Not a good choice IMHO to handle the high torque . These are just average rubber. Why not Michelin Pilot Street?
Old 1st February 2016, 13:03   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Kam, doesn't look that bad. The regular tyre repair guys can deal with this well enough. Just pay attention while they're at it, several scams vis-a-vis number of punctures done at the site abound.
Phew! False alarm. The nail went into the new rubber sideways missing a puncture. Given the soft rubber, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the tires for stuck debris from our lovely Pune roads
Old 1st February 2016, 18:32   #5229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Not a good choice IMHO to handle the high torque . These are just average rubber. Why not Michelin Pilot Street?
Appreciate what you are saying. However, I would like to understand if you are saying this based on your own experience or what you may have heard / read elsewhere?

My decision making process was simple:

- The price is awesome. Happy even if the tyre lasts me 10,000 kms
- These exact same tyres are OEM on Ninja 300. Ninja may be slightly low on power than the 390, but its no slouch. Actually, the top end is greater than the 390
- Was just bored of the Michelins. I am always up for trying something new, especially at a price just over 50% of Pilot Streets
- I have no doubt that these will be more than adequate for everyday duties
- This very talented rider disagrees with you. In fact, he says that its "Perfectly fine for novice track day riders and canyon carving". He also rates the IRC's grip levels better than the Michelins

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st February 2016 at 18:34.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 18:36   #5230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
How many kilometres did your rear Michelin last? Also, what alternatives did you consider before zeroing in on the IRC?
Old 1st February 2016, 19:49   #5231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
How many kilometres did your rear Michelin last? Also, what alternatives did you consider before zeroing in on the IRC?
You can see the previous page for pics of the Michelin. It had a nasty puncture that had taken out the sidewall as well. Un-repairable, so had to change

I had done around 7k on this tyre and it still looked good as new. Was gutted to see the punctured tyre

On tyre choices - I only looked at the following 3:

- Get another Michelin Pilot Street
- A fellow rider who was selling his 1200 KM run Metz for 4k
- And the IRC

I picked the IRC for the reasons mentioned in the above post. Did not consider other tyres like the Pirelli Sport Demon & Sport Dragaon as these cost similar to the Michelins and there had to be a significant price difference for me to move over to a Bias ply tyre from a radial. I cannot consider the MRFs or Ceats as street tyres for the 390

The IRC had everything going for it. Priced like the MRFs and the fact that its stock on the Ninja 300, so cant be too bad for mucking about on a day to day basis

More details to follow as I clock more miles on it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:58   #5232
BHPian

Just read that the 2016 RC390 will be getting ride by wire. How much of a difference can this make and can it be retrofitted to a Duke 390? Interested in hearing what the senior bhp-ians have to say on this..
Kameshwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 20:28   #5233

I had a very minor accident on my 390, wherein the front wheel just went and nudged a TVS 50 (moron cut across a main road without looking), and ever since then I've felt that the front wheel is very slightly misaligned. I gave it for servicing a couple of days ago, and particularly highlighted the issue. The SVC guys, while I was taking delivery of the bike today, insisted that there's no misalignment. Mind you, it's just perceptible if you're used to the bike, and is only appreciably felt while cornering/going over bad roads. I'm inclined to think the service centre is not capable of correcting such a slight anomaly, and I've got the impression that the mechanics are not very technically sound. Any idea where I could get the alignment checked to a great degree of precision? I miss the sense of perfect balance the bike had before aforementioned accident. I'm in Pondicherry, and I make frequent trips to Chennai. Would any regular-large tyre shop be able to do this to my satisfaction?
Old 4th February 2016, 06:56   #5234
Senior - BHPian

@MM-58 - have you checked the handle bars? I remember that when I fell on the 390, the handle bar was askew. It had twisted some rubber mountings. Got reset in 5 minutes.
Old 4th February 2016, 07:07   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just read that the 2016 RC390 will be getting ride by wire. How much of a difference can this make and can it be retrofitted to a Duke 390?
There is no clarity if Indian bikes are getting this. Wait for formal announcement and launch. The difference will be when you can manipulate the ECU and create a custom map. And overall the ride by Wire is a far better approach to air/fuel ratio management.

Quote:
I had a very minor accident on my 390, wherein the front wheel just went and nudged a TVS 50 (moron cut across a main road without looking), and ever since then I've felt that the front wheel is very slightly misaligned.
Check suspension as well. If you come to Chennai, take it to the selayur service centre. The Service engineer will listen to you and test ride and share his feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks