Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 10:29   #5251
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Interesting video for KTM RC owners

Talks about different tyres and usability. Not sure if we get all these tyres here but probably can import.
Old 18th February 2016, 12:58   #5252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Had ordered a paddock stand from GA engineering

Usability - I also plan to do my own basic maintenance and this should definitely come in handy
Put the stand to further use last weekend. Bled the brakes on the 390. Actually, it was the very first time I bled the brakes on anything

It's fun working on your bike. I know, a brake bleed does not make me a master mechanic, but it sure feels satisfying being able to do stuff on your own
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 20:03   #5253
BHPian

Guys a peculiar issue, my duke 390's covered 1100 kms so far and at around 7-800 kms there is buzz/hum at around 3-4k rpms. I'm suspecting the sound is from the splitter on the engine. It's not a major issue for me as my helmet pretty much blocks it 60%. Just hope it's not a major issue..anyone else experience this? How was it fixed?
Old 20th February 2016, 20:16   #5254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Guys a peculiar issue, my duke 390's covered 1100 kms so far and at around 7-800 kms there is buzz/hum at around 3-4k rpms. I'm suspecting the sound is from the splitter on the engine. It's not a major issue for me as my helmet pretty much blocks it 60%. Just hope it's not a major issue..anyone else experience this? How was it fixed?
I think we are on the same boat. I have a vibration/buzz around 3-4k. I haven't been able to to isolate the culprit but i feel like it's coming from tank area. Maybe the fuel filler cap
Old 20th February 2016, 21:25   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I think we are on the same boat. I have a vibration/buzz around 3-4k. I haven't been able to to isolate the culprit but i feel like it's coming from tank area. Maybe the fuel filler cap
Fuel tank lid vibration is quite a common disease with most Dukes and can be rectified at home itself. An O Ring superglued to the keyhole perimeter does the trick.

Ever since I got my cone set replaced and headlamp bulb replaced at 15.5k, I have been getting this whistling noise from the headlamp assembly or the fork. I haven't bothered rectifying it because it sounds soothing to the ears and gives out that soft whistling noise (like the one in Turbo engines. Love them!) every time I accelerate until 5k RPM. Guess some 'noises' aren't 'noises' after all.
Old 21st February 2016, 10:45   #5256
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I had to change the sprocket after a lot of noise / rattling coming out of the D390. After this change, I too hear a distinct clatter (4th gear around 6K RPM and 5th gear around 5K RPM).

I am honestly waiting for some bikes sub 600cc that are without vibes and minor irritants such as these, with ABS (Benelli 600i, Yamaha R3, Ninja 300 all are without ABS ).

Time to step out of KTM? (I have a RC390 which has some issues with front brakes). Tried to fix it twice, and still not resolved

I too am tired of visiting service center frequently for fixing these issues.
Old 21st February 2016, 13:01   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Time to step out of KTM? (I have a RC390 which has some issues with front brakes). Tried to fix it twice, and still not resolved
I believe bhpian sridhu had done something with his front brakes (changed the cylinder or something) and that had worked wonders for him. Perhaps you can have a word with him on the same?
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 13:03   #5258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BS (Benelli 600i,
I think the new 600I is pretty much on the launch cards. Auto expo had them with ABS. I think you should cough up and go get that 899 TNT. OR even better the TNT R. Thats serious machine to me
Old 21st February 2016, 13:29   #5259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think the new 600I is pretty much on the launch cards. Auto expo had them with ABS. I think you should cough up and go get that 899 TNT. OR even better the TNT R. Thats serious machine to me
I hope the new 600i (with ABS arrives soon) - I have heard some terrible reviews of the TNT R, esp its dry clutch version.

These high capacity bikes don't come with ABS either. And there are tons of good bikes at this price point. (Z800, Ducati 821, bikes Triumph family etc.)

I have to agree all these bikes look so good! I was so tempted to pick one up when they were launchd. [Because of my ABS experience with the KTMs, I only want to pick those bikes with ABS]
Old 21st February 2016, 15:10   #5260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

I too am tired of visiting service center frequently for fixing these issues.
I still can't find a cheaper, focused Motorcycle to own and maintain. I won't be moving from KTM anytime soon. It's the bajaj parts bin that hurts these motorcycles.

Talking about brakes, i have acquired a set of EBC Double-H sintered front pads for just 1.8k. Bike is in for 3rd paid service and I'll post my impressions after riding it with the new pads. Can't wait to get my hands on the bike
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:01   #5261
BHPian

Quote:
I also have the same issue mate. I had gone lengths to convince the dealer that it needs to be resolved. Then he gave me a new bike (unregistered) and a used one. Both had the same noise albeit in different volume levels. I had to make a retreat after that.
Old 21st February 2016, 20:58   #5262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's definitely the engine guard. We had the same problem on schakravarthys Duke and it was the engine guard. Same buzz between 3-4k RPM.
Old 21st February 2016, 21:01   #5263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
It's definitely the engine guard. We had the same problem on schakravarthys Duke and it was the engine guard. Same buzz between 3-4k RPM.
Yep. Isolated it today. What's the fix? Will they trim a bit off the plastic so it doesn't buzz against the bolt?
Old 21st February 2016, 22:06   #5264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hese high capacity bikes don't come with ABS either. And there are tons of good bikes at this price point. (Z800, Ducati 821, bikes Triumph family etc.)

I have to agree all these bikes look so good! I was so tempted to pick one up when they were launchd.
The triple if not detuned would have been a killer at that price. The detuned Triump, lack of customer support and completely handling service like a skoda does give me any confidence.Z800 is fantastic and there is no question about its capability, package and performance.I wont buy a Triumph let alone Ducati . Whats Benelli is doing is creating service points across the country and there is a lot of investment. The owners have not had tough time in service center though.The machine is super raw and comes with almost like a race spec brembo brakes. You wont miss the ABS. Its like the cafe racer from Bull, those front brakes dont need ABS and those Brembos stop the bike so well.

For KTM 390 or RC upgrade your disc to galfer or brembo 300mm petal disc, upgrade pads to performance brembo and in international forum people have reported exceptional braking performance.There are those who have completely bypassed ABS, 320mm disc and caliper upgrade including cylinder.
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:27   #5265
BHPian

I hope this starts a price war in the lubricant world..

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/whe...1_5575781.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks