Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2015, 10:02   #4501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I had dropped my bike while taking a u-turn (5'4" guy on RC390 ) and the brake pedal simply broke into two. Had to ride back with restricted speeds with just front brakes. All these are cast parts and and horribly brittle. Please correct if I am wrong but I guess cast parts will break before they bend. These being critical parts (had I dropped left and broke gear pedal, my ride would have been over), Bajaj-KTM should have them forged.

Considering how cheap these are (I got mine for around Rs. 380 IIRC), would it hurt to have them forged and priced at around 1000? I actually went to SVC to buy spares to carry aboard but these things fly off the shelves and bulk of accident cases at SVC have their pedals missing.
Yeah one of my friends told me i was lucky to not get the levers damaged. These things are usually the first to give up on a ktm. The casting is horrible though. That's why I'm looking for better replacement pegs from some other bikes or custom pegs which cost a bomb.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:20   #4502
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I had dropped my bike while taking a u-turn (5'4" guy on RC390 ) and the brake pedal simply broke into two. Had to ride back with restricted speeds with just front brakes. All these are cast parts and and horribly brittle. Please correct if I am wrong but I guess cast parts will break before they bend. These being critical parts (had I dropped left and broke gear pedal, my ride would have been over), Bajaj-KTM should have them forged.

Considering how cheap these are (I got mine for around Rs. 380 IIRC), would it hurt to have them forged and priced at around 1000?
In my limited experience, the brake pedal got bent inwards after a fall. It all depends on a variety of factors and is hard to generalize.

While I agree that the crash guard is near to hopeless and useless on the Dukes, components like the pegs, levers, handlebars are all designed to absorb the impact as much as possible before passing a fraction of it on to the frame or engine causing costly damages. This is common in all the bikes and this absorption of impact results in either deformation or breaking. It is common across all the bikes including the bike in question here.

@b16h22: If possible, can you please post a clearer picture of the bubbles/pores in the pegs?
Old 25th June 2015, 11:39   #4503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Why not carry a spare mate? Should fit under the seat (idea courtesy - Ebonho)
Karan, what I used to do was keep both foot levers spare wrapped up in plastic under the pillion seat (that's about all that can really fit there).

I had changed Baby Duke's old style levers to the new ones and had kept the old ones as spare.

Those old ones had a tendency of snapping every time the bike fell. You can change gears or use the rear brake without a foot peg. I have ridden a few hundred kms without a foot peg on my LB once, resting by foot on the clutch casing. And shifting the toe-only shifter using foot and heel (like a Yezdi).

But without a functional lever, you're badly jacked.

P.S. That photo is pure poor quality. And very scary for guys (like me) who regularly stand on their pegs. Some things you just cannot cut cost on. Wheels and rider foot pegs are some of those.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 18:45   #4504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unless you decide to mount the bullet style butterfly guard i dont see the puny little metal protecting the food peg.
You hit the nail on the head. Actually I am a Bulleteer of 16 years who is just 3 weeks and 700 kms old with his Duke 390 :-) I am already a little scared.
Old 25th June 2015, 18:51   #4505
Senior - BHPian

The Duke is actually surprisingly strong for such a light bike. I've seen some pretty bad (and high speed) spills, both on weekend rides as well as the Orange Day races, and the bikes are usually picked up, starters thumbed, and are running instantly and run back to the service center on their own steam. Usually less than a thousand bucks is all that's needed to get the bashed parts replaced. No/very rarely serious structural damage.

I then compare this to the other bike/s I'm most familiar with. Bullets. A spill on a Bullet can be pretty expensive to fix, and a lot of the fix is to structural elements oftentimes. Its the weight more than anything that does the damage. That and the metallurgy, welds, and overall build quality in my opinion.
Old 25th June 2015, 19:00   #4506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
P.S. That photo is pure poor quality. And very scary for guys (like me) who regularly stand on their pegs. Some things you just cannot cut cost on. Wheels and rider foot pegs are some of those.
Doc the cast ones can take the compressive loads better. But when it comes to shock loads they fare poorly. So don't worry about riding on the foot pegs, it will not fail.

Also the energy is absorbed by these parts breaking thereby saving the more crucial ones. I have seen some bikes in the SVC being stranded as structural damage was more due to the aftermarket parts.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 19:17   #4507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Doc the cast ones can take the compressive loads better. But when it comes to shock loads they fare poorly. So don't worry about riding on the foot pegs, it will not fail.

Also the energy is absorbed by these parts breaking thereby saving the more crucial ones. I have seen some bikes in the SVC being stranded as structural damage was more due to the aftermarket parts.
As I recall, the newer lot levers are stronger (thicker, angled differently, more structural cross buttressing) than the earliest lots (which came on Baby Duke).

Evidence of that can be seen on my own 390, which has obviously been low-sided at some point in time by the previous owner. The edge of the brake lever foot extension has been ground away. The lever also slightly (very) bent.

A similar thing with the older bikes, and the lever would have snapped. Not bent. Not stayed intact while getting ground away.

Its a big improvement.

About the shock loads, that is what I'm worried about. Not the peg taking my 90 kilos per se, but taking it when the bike at speed hits a bad hump/hole, and the bike and the 90 kilo rider both telescope into each other, all the weight on the pegs.

As a comparison again, I can stand on my Bullet pegs without ever worrying about them breaking. They are that solid and strong. As is the hardened rod that holds both side's pegs together. I've seen both bend, never break. I know there are positives and negatives to that (for the bike), but in this instant, I'll go with my personal well-being first.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th June 2015 at 19:21.
Old 25th June 2015, 19:17   #4508
BHPian

I have had a few spills on my R15. The pegs bend in the worst ones. No sign of breaking apart. They should work like frame sliders. As in, they are supposed to bend and not break under any condition. Pegs are not the right place to cut costs in my opinion. You could also stand and do whatever and nothing will happen to them. At least not in 7 years for the almost quintal me.

Last edited by Sojogator : 25th June 2015 at 19:18.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 19:27   #4509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
@b16h22: If possible, can you please post a clearer picture of the bubbles/pores in the pegs?
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150625_184839.jpg

Took with my phone cam so not the best quality

Quote:
I do the same thing Doc. Standing up on pegs to tackle potholes and sore back in journeys. Now i'm a little scared to do that because i weigh 90kgs. Mine is a late 2013 model. Maybe they have better pegs in newer models

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

It's a good theory but looking back to the wheel breaking incidents we can't exactly say whether the pegs are brittle by design or bad QC
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 19:41   #4510
BHPian

That standing on foot peg part paints a scary picture. And I'll buy the spare levers, just in case.

As for the pegs. I had a few spare levers from R15 and Fz. I think the Fz one's are a simple swap. And I can vouch for the quality. Sorry to say but tried and tested.

Here are the pic. The bigger one is from Fz with no rubber grip. And I have mounted it in the pillion footrest. But they will easy mount onto the front one's too
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_2015062521367.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_201506258999.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_2015062532579.jpg  

Last edited by mehuel : 25th June 2015 at 20:06.
mehuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 21:41   #4511
BHPian

Dear 390ers, what in your opinion is a 'logical' upgrade from the 390 and why?

Please don't get all philosophical and explain why what's a logical upgrade for one may not be so for the other, tell me which bike (s) you would buy/ consider buying after the 390.
Old 26th June 2015, 21:53   #4512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Dear 390ers, what in your opinion is a 'logical' upgrade from the 390.... tell me which bike (s) you would buy/ consider buying after the 390.
A Benelli 600i or a Z800 for me; the appeal of an inline 4 being the main pull.
Old 27th June 2015, 11:48   #4513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear 390ers, what in your opinion is a 'logical' upgrade from the 390 and why?

Please don't get all philosophical and explain why what's a logical upgrade for one may not be so for the other, tell me which bike (s) you would buy/ consider buying after the 390.
A KTM Duke 690R.

Please.
Old 27th June 2015, 12:00   #4514
BHPian

Quote:
A KTM Duke 690R.

Please.
Considering that the 690 is not in market here, any other choices?
Old 27th June 2015, 12:05   #4515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering that the 690 is not in market here, any other choices?
No. Not for me. Not currently.

Most Viewed