Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:47   #4351
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

That mirror looks exactly like the one on the Z800.
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:01   #4352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
I think I got an OK price.
Personally I feel you got way more than an ok price, Bangalore or not. Congrats.

What next?
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:19   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Personally I feel you got way more than an ok price, Bangalore or not. Congrats.

What next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I think you got a great price even by Bangalore standards!
Really you think this is a great price ? There were quite a few offers over 1.5 lacs, some went up to 1.6 but I was adamant about 1.7 (convinced in my own mind that anything less than 1.7 is a shame after all the effort I had put into caring for the bike ). Anyway, it is surely good to know that I got a decent value, I wish KTMs had the resale that Bullets have in Bangalore (not the resale that they have in North )
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:41   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I am not sure if it will be worth it. Just buy an RTR mirror for 390 bucks and be done with it. I am sure it will meet all your criteria!
I had seen your post on the RTR mirror, and looks very good. But I thought of changing the mirrors to the Z250 ones, because I thought they looked very premium. The glass were sort of tinted like you see in highend cars and the bezels and the chunky shape of the mirrors felt sort of pretty high end. But I dont think I will get the price soon, they weren't quite forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
That mirror looks exactly like the one on the Z800.
Isn' t it?? Its not surprising. The whole z series looks quite similar, except the tanks get larger, the higher the engine capacity.
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:44   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really you think this is a great price ? There were quite a few offers over 1.5 lacs, some went up to 1.6 but I was adamant about 1.7 (convinced in my own mind that anything less than 1.7 is a shame after all the effort I had put into caring for the bike ). Anyway, it is surely good to know that I got a decent value, I wish KTMs had the resale that Bullets have in Bangalore (not the resale that they have in North )
Look at it this way.

Even if your bike were brand new (chassis, body, rolling/moving parts, electricals) with just your tyres and chain sprocket (AND clutch) 14K kms old and unreplaced, the guy who's picked up your bike has effectively picked up a bike for 1.66 + at least another 22-24K (am including tyres, chain sprocket, clutch, oil, and service/consumables).

So he has got a mint 14K kms old 390 for 1.9 lacs. Not including transfer of registration and insurance transfer/renewal (another 3-4 K). So 1.95K.

How much is a brand new 390 on the road in Bangalore? Which comes with the new slipper+assist clutch and around 20+ additional improvements.

Would you buy your bike or a brand new one by putting in 15+ K more? Remember the slipper+assist clutch alone costs about 6-7K extra.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd May 2015 at 11:47.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:50   #4356
BHPian

The tint is added to reduce the glares from the headlights, useful ith the glaring high beams all over.
I find that they work pretty well.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:07   #4357
BHPian

Quote:
Look at it this way.

Even if your bike were brand new (chassis, body, rolling/moving parts, electricals) with just your tyres and chain sprocket (AND clutch) 14K kms old and unreplaced, the guy who's picked up your bike has effectively picked up a bike for 1.66 + at least another 22-24K (am including tyres, chain sprocket, clutch, oil, and service/consumables).

So he has got a mint 14K kms old 390 for 1.9 lacs. Not including transfer of registration and insurance transfer/renewal (another 3-4 K). So 1.95K.

How much is a brand new 390 on the road in Bangalore? Which comes with the new slipper+assist clutch and around 20+ additional improvements.

But then, as we all know a used vehicle no matter how well kept is a gamble and there is no set in stone price so yeah whatever works for the seller and the buyer both is OK I guess.

Would you buy your bike or a brand new one by putting in 15+ K more? Remember the slipper+assist clutch alone costs about 6-7K extra.

My way of looking at it (shared by the buyer) is:
Purchase: 1.66
Immediate expenses: Rear Michelin, Sprocket and Service for 10k
Transfer: completed without an agent for less than Rs. 200
Total: 1,76,200
On road price of a new 390 in Bangalore: 2,28,000
---
Saving 52,000 - that's substantial!

Last edited by ff1609 : 22nd May 2015 at 12:09.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:16   #4358
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with Ebonho. Even I think the price you got is extremely good, considering a new bike would cost around 2.25 lakh or thereabouts. I would take a loan and buy a new bike. You should celebrate the sale :-)
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:21   #4359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My way of looking at it (shared by the buyer) is:
Purchase: 1.66
Immediate expenses: Rear Michelin, Sprocket and Service for 10k
Transfer: completed without an agent for less than Rs. 200
Total: 1,76,200
On road price of a new 390 in Bangalore: 2,28,000
---
Saving 52,000 - that's substantial!
He is going to ride on a 14K km old front tyre, then yes, both your thinking is justified. Otherwise 7K.

The rear is still not the OE tyre (refer to my post earlier to HillRam on the same subject on his thread). Otherwise why Michelin, even a 390 spec MRF is there. So another 5K.

Insurance? That's about 3K.

That's still about 1.9 lacs. Add about 10K for the slipper+assist clutch and other improvements in the new bike - that's then 2 lacs.

Yes I did not know the bike was 2.28 lacs on road in Bangalore. I was thinking around 2.15 lacs max. So admittedly, that does provide a difference to the way one would look at the deal.

Honestly speaking, such a bike in Pune would get max 1.4-1.5 lacs.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:28   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
He is going to ride on a 14K km old front tyre, then yes, both your thinking is justified. Otherwise 7K.

The rear is still not the OE tyre (refer to my post earlier to HillRam on the same subject on his thread). Otherwise why Michelin, even a 390 spec MRF is there. So another 5K.

Insurance? That's about 3K.

That's still about 1.9 lacs. Add about 10K for the slipper+assist clutch and other improvements in the new bike - that's then 2 lacs.

Yes I did not know the bike was 2.28 lacs on road in Bangalore. I was thinking around 2.15 lacs max. So admittedly, that does provide a difference to the way one would look at the deal.

Honestly speaking, such a bike in Pune would get max 1.4-1.5 lacs.
Yes I agree it is a matter of choice for the buyer to get Metzeller or MRF, this buyer had a 390 earlier which he had crashed so he wanted to buy a used one this time and was clear that he will replace tyres with Michelin only.

By the way, insurance would not be 3k as it was already renewed for the year, he will just pay a couple of hundred for name transfer and the NCB that I had got but he will not get.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:45   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I agree it is a matter of choice for the buyer to get Metzeller or MRF, this buyer had a 390 earlier which he had crashed so he wanted to buy a used one this time and was clear that he will replace tyres with Michelin only.

By the way, insurance would not be 3k as it was already renewed for the year, he will just pay a couple of hundred for name transfer and the NCB that I had got but he will not get.
Though I agree with doc and others that you got a good deal, considering the market expectations.

But I wish that all the present owners of 390s refrain from finding reasons for all the used bike wannabes to pay lesser. Especially when people have started to refer to our forum for quoting ridiculously low prices. If we apply the same arguements for resale value of bullets, then they would have been selling for nothing. I regret that I have had my share in bad mouthing such a wonderful bike for some silly reasons.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 22nd May 2015 at 17:46.
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:52   #4362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Though I agree with doc and others that you got a good deal, considering the market expectations.

But I wish that all the present owners of 390s refrain from finding reasons for all the used bike wannabes to pay lesser. Especially when people have started to refer to our forum for quoting ridiculously low prices. If we apply the same arguements for resale value of bullets, then they would have been selling for nothing. I regret that I have had my share in bad mouthing such a wonderful bike for some silly reasons.
The prices in the market and expectations (buyer and seller) are not made from Team BHP. I was actively in the market, both for selling my 200, and buying my 390, and not once did I get referred to any of the popular forums.

Its OLX and Quikr which largely set the trends. Especially OLX. They even have a MSP calculator which more often than not gives ridiculous results. Because it datamines what's put up in ads. NOT what the actual deals close at.

What I have shared here on the forum is what the actual deals close at. Based on actually talking to people (as both buyer and seller), even following up after they have either sold or bought, to know the inside story, as well as with agents.

That said, its pretty obvious that "forum owners" don't sell cheap. Also, its pretty easy to get to know within a few calls if the guy on the other end is an individual or an agent.

Simply put, the Bullet market is made by the Bullet owners. And prospective buyers.

Similarly, the Duke market is made by the Duke owners. And prospective buyers. So if used bike prices have been thrashed, its been done more by the sellers than the buyers.

Compare between an old fountain pen and a flashy roller ball.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd May 2015 at 17:55.
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:50   #4363
BHPian

Quote:
The prices in the market and expectations (buyer and seller) are not made from Team BHP. I was actively in the market, both for selling my 200, and buying my 390, and not once did I get referred to any of the popular forums.

Its OLX and Quikr which largely set the trends. Especially OLX. They even have a MSP calculator which more often than not gives ridiculous results. Because it datamines what's put up in ads. NOT what the actual deals close at.

What I have shared here on the forum is what the actual deals close at. Based on actually talking to people (as both buyer and seller), even following up after they have either sold or bought, to know the inside story, as well as with agents.

That said, its pretty obvious that "forum owners" don't sell cheap. Also, its pretty easy to get to know within a few calls if the guy on the other end is an individual or an agent.

Simply put, the Bullet market is made by the Bullet owners. And prospective buyers.

Similarly, the Duke market is made by the Duke owners. And prospective buyers. So if used bike prices have been thrashed, its been done more by the sellers than the buyers.

Compare between an old fountain pen and a flashy roller ball.
Was not attempting to compare bullet with 390, doc. Was just trying to say that there is an emotional quotient in pricing as well.

And please see the post by ff1609 that I have quoted.

Quote:
A lot of buyers read these 1.13 lakh and 85k posts and
mentioned these, but there
He said that there were people who called him quoting low prices referring to this forum. Correct me if I am wrong.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:11   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, its pretty obvious that "forum owners" don't sell cheap
I would say Forum owners dont sell cheap to other forum members for sure.

No matter how much we discuss here we all know the demand drives the supply and henceforth the price. 1.66 is a great price considering the bike has run 14K.

As a prospective buyer if i can take a loan and get a new 390 where repayment is over a long period i will be tempted to put minimal down and get a newer 390.

used 390 if the price is very cheap and i save substantial. 50K calculation above is for Bangalore. In chennai on road will be load cheaper and savings from buying a 14K bike for 1.66 would be fairly minimal to consider a new bike with warranty and peace of mind.

Used bullet is a different market and is based on type of engine and capacity. For example the new age bullets depreciation is higher than the CI 500. Try getting CI 500 for around 70K which was the selling price in early 2000. The asking price is north of 90K
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:43   #4365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Was not attempting to compare bullet with 390, doc. Was just trying to say that there is an emotional quotient in pricing as well.
No no, I realize that bro. Nor was I disagreeing with your post at all (except the forum setting price bit).

As VW has rightly clarified, the Bullet is a different animal altogether - the bike, the owner, the prospective buyer, and the market.

Yes there is the aspirational tag involved. The ego of owning one. The general "sentiment" factor. The lure it has on every Indian male who has grown up hearing the dug-dug from his mother's womb literally.

Simply put, the Bullet IS the history of Indian motorcycling. No other bike comes close. Not the RX. Not the RD. Not the Jawa/Yezdi. Not the Rajdoot. The Bullet stands head and shoulders above all other Indian legends. As the apex Legend.

Then there is the bike itself. Its built (and proven) to last. Its all metal. It can be repaired. It can be refurbished totally to like-new. It really ages pretty much at the same rate as the human rider does. Am using the example of me and Doppie here, from 2002 to today, and comparing both of us to see the nicks and dinks of time, the slight loss of performance, but still very handsome and giving the young guns a run for their money.

Hence the example of the old fountain pen and the swanky hi tech roller ball gel pen.

All of this will prevent a Bullet owner from (1) selling his bike as easily or quickly as a Duke owner does; and (2) selling it as cheap (depreciated value over original) as a Duke owner does.

On the other side, a prospective buyer of the Bullet also looks at a used Bullet very differently to what a prospective buyer of a Duke looks at a used Duke. Which is why a prospective used Bullet buyer goes into the market expecting to pay handsomely. But equally he will be a lot more icky and choosy than a Duke buyer, and willing to wait for the "right" Bullet to come along, regardless so much of the price asked.

I have never bought a used Bullet. But I have bought a used Duke. So my points on used Bullet buyers is based on what I have seen closely within my riding group. And am comparing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would say Forum owners dont sell cheap to other forum members for sure.
Better clarified.

Quote:
Used bullet is a different market and is based on type of engine and capacity. For example the new age bullets depreciation is higher than the CI 500. Try getting CI 500 for around 70K which was the selling price in early 2000. The asking price is north of 90K
Then you should come towards Mumbai and Pune. The quotes start at 1.5 lacs for Std 500 and LB 500. The deals close at around 1.25-1.4. This is now today. I sold my mint LB in 2011 for 1.25.

The std 350s are quoted at 1-1.1 lacs and dals close at the 90K-1 lac mark. regardless of the age. Everything depends on the engine and condition, with some premium for pre '84.

I don't think the situation is very different in Bangalore. Not much idea about Hyderabad, but it has a thriving standard (cast iron, heavy crank, slow dug dug) community and market.

The market in Goa (thanks to the Israelis and bike renters) is totally glutted and messed up. The bikes are also sad.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd May 2015 at 11:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks