Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 18:59   #4306
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
I've never really posted pics as I've always felt that my bike was a work in progress. Finally for the first time the other day I did an inventory and decided that I am really close to achieving my vision for my 390 so I decided to post this as sort of a progress report. The following are
the mods you see in the pictures
Great mods for practical use. Love the way you have gone around and started to kit up your Duke. And this does not stand out like a sore thumbs too. You need a pat on your back for all the efforts you have taken up to make the Duke a better bike.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 21:16   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to check with the gang here. Where can I get Michelin Pilot R17/150/60 in Pune? Any pointers would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks
Prabhat Tyres and Tyre Point are two reliable Michelin retailers I know of in Pune. You can check up with them on JustDial.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 23:15   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to check with the gang here. Where can I get Michelin Pilot R17/150/60 in Pune? Any pointers would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks
Check with Lokmanay Tyres, Near Garware college, KArve road Pune.

Here
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 14:51   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Check with Lokmanay Tyres, Near Garware college, KArve road Pune.

Here
They have it in stock. Price is 5500 incl. installation. Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 29th April 2015, 15:32   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The heat is not the issue. The bike is very snatchy at slow city speeds, the heavy clutch does not help, and is almost unrideable in any gear in bumper to bumper traffic without slipping the clutch. Plus unlike the 200, its a rough vibey bike at slow speed. It smoothens out, and all noises are lost in the wind, as you open up. And then it really comes into its own. The 200 on the other hand is as fun and slick and smooth to ride in both scenarios, but then gets solidly left behind compared to the 390 in sheer pull and top end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Yes. That's correct.
The gears are unbelievably short excluding 6th. The 6th can be comfortably achieved after 65 kmph, and you can take it all the way to top speed, though it'll take a lot of time and tarmac.

Downshifting is only required at corners, and in very rare cases, over-taking. Do update us with your research results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You could ride it, but definitely would not want to. Heating aside, the problem is the snatchy throttle at low RPMs. Doc is right. The 200 can perform daily commuting duties in heavy traffic much comfortably and economically

Thanks all for your valuable inputs. I test rode the Duke 390 and here are my quick observations
1. It has massive amounts of power. It is so powerful that the rider feels thrown back.
2. The clutch (slipper) is very light. Almost Pulsar-like. I didn't get a chance to test 2014 model though.
3. The bike is very vibey. The engine is unrefined and almost Pulsar-like.
4. The clutch is very unforgiving. I stalled the bike twice before I could take off. (I don't remember when I stalled my P-150 last).
5. It is very difficult to ride the bike in bumper to bumper traffic. I tried riding it at slow speeds. The bike almost shut off and I quickly had to 'half-clutch' it to prevent it from completely shutting off.

All the points considered, I'll be settling for a Duke 200 since long commute is my primary requirement. The Duke 390, although ultra VFM in comparison with Duke 200, will require significant effort to control in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Having said these, I still have two concerns that I have to put to rest.
1. The Duke 200 does not have ABS. I briefly considered CBR250 for the ABS alone but that is not a bike that I like too much.
2. The new Duke 250 is unveiled. Hoping it doesn't get launched weeks after my purchase. If it comes with ABS, I'd be kicking myself.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 29th April 2015 at 15:34.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 15:46   #4311
BHPian

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thanks all for your valuable inputs. I test rode the Duke 390 and here are my quick observations

I was in same boat 1 week before the only difference is I have used pre owned Duke 200 for 4000 kms so I took decision of 390 over 200 because of following points:

1. ABS
2. Power
3. Tyres
4. Clutch

The only thing I have to adjust is city riding which I am experiencing from last week however above 4 things suppress this one limitation and I am sure I will learn it to ride in anywhere now

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 29th April 2015 at 15:47.
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 16:20   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Having said these, I still have two concerns that I have to put to rest.
1. The Duke 200 does not have ABS. I briefly considered CBR250 for the ABS alone but that is not a bike that I like too much.
2. The new Duke 250 is unveiled. Hoping it doesn't get launched weeks after my purchase. If it comes with ABS, I'd be kicking myself.
Glad to help. Here are my inputs.

1. I agree that the ABS is a factor when it comes to putting your money down on the D200. But then, all you can do is rely on yourself and the D200's brakes to not miss the ABS. It's something that you'll need in a one in a hundred situation, so all I can advise you is to prepare yourself to be competent enough to handle 'that' situation.

Or maybe not let such a situation arise at all?

2. I don't see the D250 launching anytime soon in India. Bajaj seems to be focused more on reclaiming the lost 100-200cc ground after it's recent market share ranking.

That being said, I'm equally happy that you're going for the D200. It's a hoot to ride in the city and is a perfect choice for people who want to commute with style, thrill and eagerness.

Last edited by barcalad : 29th April 2015 at 16:25.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 16:28   #4313
Senior - BHPian

Till I got the 390, I never owned an ABS bike.

I managed. And enjoyed each of them.

Even today I do not activate the ABS on my 390 (very very rarely the rear, sometimes). On my Storme it is relatively more common.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 16:53   #4314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine is unrefined and almost Pulsar-like.
I have not ridden the entire Pulsar range. I've ridden the 150, 180 and 200 quite a bit (Borrowed rides) and every single one of them had a more refined motor than the 390.

On the subject of ABS, it is important. While I have had multiple instances of ABS kick in, they were mostly the results of mistakes I made. Careless riding to be honest. Mistakes that could have been avoided. No doubt, it is a life saver. However; when I switch to my Enfeild, I pay more attention because I know I don't have the same stopping power. Not even close to what the 390 offers even if you take away ABS. It is the same thing you will do if you end up with a Duke 200 or any motorcycle that does not have anti lock brakes. You learn how your motorcycle behaves/responds to various situations and you adapt. You know the stopping power, you decide the right time to brake and the amount of pressure required. You also know that excess brake pressure will lead to a skid, loss in control.

Don't rule out a motorcycle just because it misses out on ABS.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 17:15   #4315
BHPian

@bik1906 - request you to please post some close up pics of the Gel seat.

Interested in seeing how it is installed + if it works, without sacrificing on the seat grip levels.

Regards
Ronald
Old 29th April 2015, 18:05   #4316
BHPian

One fine day, an ABS unit will save a lot of pain. If it is possible, there is no 2 ways about not getting an ABS vehicle, especially a 2 wheeler.
It does not make one more irresponsible. It just makes you ride with a back net. While learning on a ABS vehicle, if someone makes it a habit to grab a handful of the brakes each time and activate the ABS every time then it is just irresponsible riding. The riding technique remains the same but it is great to have a non intrusive tech watching your back. Anyone and everyone can commit a fault and ABS turns angel on those days.

IMO, there should not even be an option to switch off ABS for vehicles that are used in public roads.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 20:51   #4317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
IMO, there should not even be an option to switch off ABS for vehicles that are used in public roads.
I'm also a big fan of ABS. However, do not confuse the ABS off switch with lack of safety. ABS can create breaking issues in cases like going off road. ABS Off switch is to help you account for those situations.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 07:40   #4318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have not ridden the entire Pulsar range. I've ridden the 150, 180 and 200 quite a bit (Borrowed rides) and every single one of them had a more refined motor than the 390..
I am curious why u said 390 is less refined to the above mentioned bikes.
Old 30th April 2015, 09:49   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
I am curious why u said 390 is less refined to the above mentioned bikes.
Agreed that 390 makes a raucous noise. But vibes are minimal at low rpms and almost vanishes after 5000 rpm, unlike any singles mentioned in the previous posts. And IMO once u get used to the bike, riding it in traffic is not a problem. And then comes the highway. The only thing that any one should be deterred from buying a 390, is the lower mileage when compared to the bikes mentioned in the previous posts. And anyone who felt that the slipper clutch is tighter than a regular one is free to swap with mine
Old 30th April 2015, 10:49   #4320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
One fine day, an ABS unit will save a lot of pain. If it is possible, there is no 2 ways about not getting an ABS vehicle, especially a 2 wheeler.

The riding technique remains the same but it is great to have a non intrusive tech watching your back. Anyone and everyone can commit a fault and ABS turns angel on those days.
You've hit the nail on the head Sojogator and I fully agree with you. The safety an ABS unit offers is unmatched no matter how good a rider is. There are situations one cannot anticipate especially while braking hard to avoid collision or dashing. In situations like these the wheels lock and leads to inadvertent sliding/skidding. This can be dangerous and sometimes fatal. No matter how fast our brains calculate it just cannot beat the ABS system in the above mentioned panic braking situations. I have been riding RE motorcycles since ages and the newer disc brake variants of RE are known for wheel locking under hard braking. I have myself experienced this on my Thunderbird500 which I have mentioned on my ownership thread. After having ridden my cousins' Duke 390 I came to know the life saving advantage an ABS unit offers. Hats off to KTM to provide this feature and also an option to switch it off as per riders' need.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 30th April 2015 at 10:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks