Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 17:34   #4156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Don't know where to put up these photos so putting them up here as they are remotely related (KTM). Saw this lovely Freeride in Geneva by the lake and stopped to click a few photos with my phone camera.

What struck me was how narrow the bike was, how tall even a 250 hardcore dirt bike can be, and what an exquisite torture apparatus their seats can be. Think straddling a fence, with not too much foam intervening!

Lovely toy nonetheless for some off road fun! Loved the quick throttle - the quality is visible even in the photos.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503310006.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503310007.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503310008.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503310009.jpeg
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 17:40   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
If I were you I'd not take the bike out of the service center until they replace the current seat with the redesigned one.
If the changes are in the seat means i will have to get a new updated seat. Will dig more info on this one, as i was anyways looking at buying a spare rider seat to do some experiments.
First it was the positive terminal, this time it was negative one. The OEM terminal connectors are squarish shape with a thicker gauge of sheet. The ones replaced are round type with thinner gauge. I am hoping this is more flexible, and less prone to fatigue from vibes.

The scary part is, while in the process of breaking, there would have been sparks, as the plastic battery casing around the terminal area had some minor melting. Could be a matter of concern, with some 390 on fire videos doing the round.
Old 6th April 2015, 19:20   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Lovely toy nonetheless for some off road fun! Loved the quick throttle - the quality is visible even in the photos
The perfect compromise to my mind at least is / was the 690 Supermoto version. Take it touring, off road - though not as hardcore as the EXC in your post is capable of, and would be equally at home on the track as well

So very versatile these KTMs are. Love 'em!!!
Old 7th April 2015, 11:37   #4159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The perfect compromise to my mind at least is / was the 690 Supermoto version. Take it touring, off road - though not as hardcore as the EXC in your post is capable of, and would be equally at home on the track as well

So very versatile these KTMs are. Love 'em!!!
I absolutely agree. A KTM 690 SMC R with a bigger tank (it has a piddly 12 L one in stock form - the Duke 690 has a 14 L one) would be perfect. Though to tell you the truth, the seat would be less than perfect for riding anything over intermediate distances. The Duke 690's seat is just beautiful. But the ground clearance, the seat heaight, and most importantly the suspension travel of the supermotard (and the enduro) are miles ahead of the street Duke. Both the supermotard and enduro are really tall bikes. And the best part is, the supermotard weighs as much as our 390s - a full 10 kilos less than the Duke 690. I really wish they did not kill the 690. At least not until I can own one. The planned V twins are great, but a light big capacity high strung vibey thumper is something else altogether.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 20:33   #4160
BHPian

Chanced upon this fine video a few minutes back. Must say, it made me miss my ride even though it's just two floors below me.

Old 7th April 2015, 22:22   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Tyres are the main consumable that determines cost in the used 390 market. Since the difference between a 10000 km used bike and a barely used bike is essentially 15-20,000 bucks, assuming the chain-sprocket, clutch plates have a lot of life left in them. The engine if its healthy and kept well will go through at least another 5 sets (hopefully many more) of tyres before it needs any work. So if you have almost brand new Metzelers, the sprocket teetch look ok, the bike is pulling well (no rpm racing indicating clutch slip), no major leaks anywhere, no smoke from the exhaust, no odd sounds fom the engine (block the exhaust outlet and listen close), no major scratches or dents anywhere (indicating a major shunt or hit), all electricals working fine, engine cranking easily with starter (battery has juice - after that when it comes to bateries, its a lottery anyways, but thankfully not a very expensive one), the gearbox shifts ok through all the gears, and most importantly the bike tracks straight without pulling to one side in a straight line when you leave your hands, then 5k or so less, and you have a at-par-for-the-market deal. 10-15K less and you have a great deal. All the best.
Thanks doc. I did get the chance to inspect the vehicle today. Tyres are mrf revz FC1s and not metzelers. Bike is cosmetically ok. It is not thrashed like many 390s in our state. No scratches or dents. The crash guard bolt has been sheared off. Chain protector is broken as you can see in the attached picture. Owner has promised me he will fix these issues. No leaks. Shifts are ok and the bike pulls very well. Engine also sounded fine with no tik tik sound. I have also taken my friend along. He was complaining about a bend in handlebar. It was not visible and the bike was not pulling to one side. So we have decide to take the bike to a ktm service center the day after tomorrow to have a thorough checkup. I have managed to click a few photos from my phone. So the quality is not too great
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150407_151917_low.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150407_151924_low.jpg
b16h22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 23:20   #4162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post

Bike is cosmetically ok.

Chain protector is broken as you can see in the attached picture.
I'm sure you would've noticed that the bike is missing the hand guards.

The chain case appears ok to me. Am I missing something here?
Old 7th April 2015, 23:26   #4163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I'm sure you would've noticed that the bike is missing the hand guards.

The chain case appears ok to me. Am I missing something here?
It's near the rear suspension assembly. And yes i have noticed the missing have guards. Assuming he took it off.
Old 8th April 2015, 13:25   #4164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Thanks doc. I did get the chance to inspect the vehicle today. Tyres are mrf revz FC1s and not metzelers. Bike is cosmetically ok. It is not thrashed like many 390s in our state. No scratches or dents. The crash guard bolt has been sheared off. Chain protector is broken as you can see in the attached picture. Owner has promised me he will fix these issues. No leaks. Shifts are ok and the bike pulls very well. Engine also sounded fine with no tik tik sound. I have also taken my friend along. He was complaining about a bend in handlebar. It was not visible and the bike was not pulling to one side. So we have decide to take the bike to a ktm service center the day after tomorrow to have a thorough checkup. I have managed to click a few photos from my phone. So the quality is not too great
Bike looks good. Tyres, I would straightaway use that to negotiate 10K off of what he's asking. Start 20K lower and agree to meet midway, once you've gotten it looked at by someone you trust. Ask for the hand guards. If he has them (and they look old, used) then you know he has simply taken them off. If he does not, or gives you brand new looking ones, then you know the bike's been dropped. The foot levers cost 150 bucks, the crash guards cost 150bucks, the bar end weights cost 60 bucks (I think). The hand guards cost 800 bucks and come only as a set. If you do pick up this bike, would really like your feedback on how the 390 does with MRF Revz. I used to love the Revz and would definitely keep it in my consideration set once my Metzelers go. Been hearing mixed reports on the Michelins (some good, some very bad). Pirelli might be coming, and many rate them higher than the Michelins.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 13:54   #4165
BHPian

Quote:
If you do pick up this bike, would really like your feedback on how the 390 does with MRF Revz. I used to love the Revz and would definitely keep it in my consideration set once my Metzelers go
Doc I think this is not the Revz that is the stock tyre on the 200. This is the new C1 that is launched by MRF specifically for the 390. b16h22 please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 8th April 2015 at 14:12.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 14:07   #4166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Doc I think this is not the Revz that is the stock tyre on the 200. This is the new FC1 that is launched by MRF specifically for the 390. b16h22 please correct me if I'm wrong.
I did not know that. But why would MRF launch a brand new tyre only for the replacement market? Unless this will replace (eventually) the 200 as OE tyre, or Bajaj is lanning to replace the Metzelers on the Indian 390s with this as the OE tyre?

How much does a set cost? Any links?

P.S. Just relooked at the photos. The rear tyre looks exactly like the tread pattern of the Revz on my Duke 200. As does the front.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th April 2015 at 14:09.
Old 8th April 2015, 14:11   #4167
BHPian

Quote:
I did not know that. But why would MRF launch a brand new tyre only for the replacement market? Unless this will replace (eventually) the 200 as OE tyre, or Bajaj is lanning to replace the Metzelers on the Indian 390s with this as the OE tyre?

P.S. Just relooked at the photos. The rear tyre looks exactly like the tread pattern of the Revz on my Duke 200. As does the front.
Here you go, Link

FC1 is the front tyre and C1 is the rear tyre. I believe the Revz on the 200 did not have the required speed rating for the 390, I may be wrong. As you said it doesn't make sense to make a tyre for the 390 only. But MRF claims of 'more grip' than the Revz on the 200.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 14:29   #4168
BHPian

Quote:

Yes doc, mrf did launch fc1s for 390s. Front tyre costs 2800 INR or something and rear costs 3600 INR. Overdrive has a review of these. I'll try to find the link

Quote:
Doc I think this is not the Revz that is the stock tyre on the 200. This is the new C1 that is launched by MRF specifically for the 390. b16h22 please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes they are 390 specific. D200 Tyres have lesser speed rating.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 14:34   #4169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go, Link

FC1 is the front tyre and C1 is the rear tyre. I believe the Revz on the 200 did not have the required speed rating for the 390, I may be wrong. As you said it doesn't make sense to make a tyre for the 390 only. But MRF claims of 'more grip' than the Revz on the 200.
If so, I am all for this tyre. And from the links pasted above, a saving of 10,000/- is not to be scoffed at.

I know very good riders in Pune, national racers even, who use the Metzler for the front, but have changed to the Revz for the rear for the life it gives, especially for long distance touring which squares out the soft Metzelers very quickly in the center. They claim aside for some skittishness of the rear (under power, when leaned in, either backing into a corner, or powering out) the tyre does great. And good riders actually like the skittishness for the added "excitement" it provides (I call it BIM ....)! LOL

The front they do not compromise on.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th April 2015 at 14:44.
Old 8th April 2015, 15:37   #4170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one the pic seems to be the Revz and not the C1. Check the tread pattern.

Quote:
..but have changed to the Revz for the rear for the life it gives, especially for long distance touring which squares out the soft Metzelers very quickly in the center.
But Doc, doesnt the Revz shreds itself with the added power of the 390? I thought they gave lesser life on the 390! You may consider the Michellin Pilot Street too. I am using the 140 section for rear now. Good amount of grip even under hard acceleration when the bike is upright. I am satisfied with its performance for the price I paid. But when you reach peg scrapping lean angles I am missing the Metz. The rear definitely steps out under hard acceleration out of a corner. May be the 150 section pilot will perform better due to a wider shoulder. My front tyre has also started to square off and I will be replacing it with Metz.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks