Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:09   #4141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Was the sofaseat double padded or single ?
Can you link me to exactly what you bought ?
I got the double padded seat. Its called the "double superslab" IIRC

Link - http://shop.redlineplus.in/1-rider-c...rb_double_slab
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:20   #4142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Got the ride back after the 3rd service at 11649 on the odo.
Which service center is this?? Looks like Bajaj/KTM is working to ensure customers are happy with the service going by your experience.
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:31   #4143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
At what RPM is the bike hovering when its cold? There is an auto choke to keep the bike from dying until the engine is hot to sustain the idle. Usually for a couple of minutes.
This is typically around 1k-3k rpm.

Picture this.

You start your bike in the morning. Idle for 30 seconds. And then you navigate your way through the cars and pillars until your main gate. THIS is exactly when it happens.
Same thing when I return back from a short ride, say to buy milk. Right when I enter my parking bay and pull the clutch to brake, it revs up.

One common thing in both scenarios is that the temperature gauge is hardly filled with 2 bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Which service center is this?? Looks like Bajaj/KTM is working to ensure customers are happy with the service going by your experience.
Abhinav, this is KTM Banashankari. Hard to believe, I know, but that's the truth!
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:41   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
This is typically around 1k-3k rpm.

Picture this.
1. Throttle cable routing - Check in all handle positions.
2. O2 sensor - Check and clean.
3. Throttle body check.

I feel the solution is one among the above three.
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:34   #4145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
1. Throttle cable routing - Check in all handle positions.
2. O2 sensor - Check and clean.
3. Throttle body check.

I feel the solution is one among the above three.
My suspect is 2. Will get it cleaned and sealed tomorrow. Hopefully, it should do the job.
Old 3rd April 2015, 14:47   #4146
BHPian

Gentlemen, I'm in a dilemma. The more i research the more I'm confused. My initial plan was to go for a new d200 but the pre-worshipped 390s are luring me. The added safety net of abs and metzelers are tempting. And the huge reserves of power it has makes it better vfm i think. I'm aware of the niggles. Happened to stumble upon a 2014 jan 390 for 1.65l and it has done 9.5k kms. I'm yet to have a close inspection. Is it a good idea to go for the 390 ? If yes what should be the important things i should be paying attention to. Being a 2014 bike will it prone to rim breakage or engine seizure?
Old 3rd April 2015, 15:31   #4147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Gentlemen, I'm in a dilemma. The more i research the more I'm confused. My initial plan was to go for a new d200 but the pre-worshipped 390s are luring me. The added safety net of abs and metzelers are tempting. And the huge reserves of power it has makes it better vfm i think. I'm aware of the niggles. Happened to stumble upon a 2014 jan 390 for 1.65l and it has done 9.5k kms. I'm yet to have a close inspection. Is it a good idea to go for the 390 ? If yes what should be the important things i should be paying attention to. Being a 2014 bike will it prone to rim breakage or engine seizure?
As somebody pointed out. Duke 390's are not the new kids in the block any more. There are 390s which have clocked 50Ks and are still up and running perfectly. And you dont get an all rounder for such low prices than a 390. Unless the bike is poorly maintained, you dont need to worry about engine seizure. I would get a copy of the service history, to check if the schedule was adhered to. I would suggest you check the tyre wear, radiator fins, any visible leaks, bike balance for fork bents, and try to ride the bike after a cold start to know about the battery condition etc. And have the oil and the filters changed nonetheless. And you will be good to go IMO.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 3rd April 2015 at 15:33.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 15:53   #4148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, I'm in a dilemma. The more i research the more I'm confused. My initial plan was to go for a new d200 but the pre-worshipped 390s are luring me
If I were you, I would go straight for a 390 unless I feel I would be riding most of the time in pretty heavy traffic. Its quite unweildy in choc a vloc traffic situations. In such a scenario the 200 makes more sense

At least as per me, there are no deal breakers when it comes to the 390 and is a wonderful all rounder. All the best. Do let us know which way you finally swing

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:34   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
Is it a good idea to go for the 390 ? If yes what should be the important things i should be paying attention to. Being a 2014 bike will it prone to rim breakage or engine seizure?
As you say, the bike has clocked 9.5k on the odo. My rear Metzeler wore out at exactly 9.5k (A record that probably still stands till today. )
Point being, remove Metzeler from the list. If the bike's condition is very good, and the tyres are in not-so-good shape, you can always go for cheaper alternatives.

I have a 2014 D390. I weigh in 3 digits. My rims have never broken even during situations when I have flown over potholes. My engine has always worked like a charm.

To be crude, I have always believed that no two 390s are the same. It depends on how the owner maintained it and how will YOU maintain it.

Having found one which suits your needs, the checks you should make first are mostly mechanical. Take it for a good spin, keep a sharp ear out for squeals, tap-tap noises and hollow sounding exhaust note. You can always take it to the KTM SVC later on for a thorough inspection. Just make sure the SVC where you go to wasn't frequented by the original owner.

If you want something peppy, something that gives you an adrenalin rush for a few seconds and something which is pretty economical, the D200 is your answer.

If you want something mature, something which turns into a rowdy from a gentleman real quick, something which will give you an adrenalin rush in literally every second you ride it and something which is NOT SO economical, the D390 is your answer.

Make a good call. Do update us. Good Luck!
Old 3rd April 2015, 19:25   #4150
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable opinions. Nothing is more convincing than hearing it from the happy owners of the 390.

Quote:
As you say, the bike has clocked 9.5k on the odo. My rear Metzeler wore out at exactly 9.5k (A record that probably still stands till today. )
Point being, remove Metzeler from the list. If the bike's condition is very good, and the tyres are in not-so-good shape, you can always go for cheaper alternatives.

I have a 2014 D390. I weigh in 3 digits. My rims have never broken even during situations when I have flown over potholes. My engine has always worked like a charm.

To be crude, I have always believed that no two 390s are the same. It depends on how the owner maintained it and how will YOU maintain it.

Having found one which suits your needs, the checks you should make first are mostly mechanical. Take it for a good spin, keep a sharp ear out for squeals, tap-tap noises and hollow sounding exhaust note. You can always take it to the KTM SVC later on for a thorough inspection. Just make sure the SVC where you go to wasn't frequented by the original owner.
Yes sir I'll look for each one of those issues. Thankfully the bike had a recent tire change at 9k km. That keeps a pretty high expense away for at least 9k km more. I'm 'just' 85 kilos 😂 so I'm guessing rims will be alright. And yeah i want a 'mature-rowdy'. I have a scooterette for normal commuting. This one will be for the recreational purposes.
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:53   #4151
BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir I'll look for each one of those issues. Thankfully the bike had a recent tire change at 9k km. That keeps a pretty high expense away for at least 9k km more. I'm 'just' 85 kilos 😂 so I'm guessing rims will be alright. And yeah i want a 'mature-rowdy'. I have a scooterette for normal commuting. This one will be for the recreational purposes.
Was it changed to Metzelers?

Well, that settles it. Good luck with your recreations!
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:12   #4152
BHPian

Quote:
Was it changed to Metzelers?

Well, that settles it. Good luck with your recreations!
Yeah they look very metzeler in the photos. The tread pattern is 100% metzeler. I'll see it in person

Last edited by b16h22 : 3rd April 2015 at 22:36.
Old 4th April 2015, 12:46   #4153
Senior - BHPian

Tyres are the main consumable that determines cost in the used 390 market. Since the difference between a 10000 km used bike and a barely used bike is essentially 15-20,000 bucks, assuming the chain-sprocket, clutch plates have a lot of life left in them. The engine if its healthy and kept well will go through at least another 5 sets (hopefully many more) of tyres before it needs any work. So if you have almost brand new Metzelers, the sprocket teetch look ok, the bike is pulling well (no rpm racing indicating clutch slip), no major leaks anywhere, no smoke from the exhaust, no odd sounds fom the engine (block the exhaust outlet and listen close), no major scratches or dents anywhere (indicating a major shunt or hit), all electricals working fine, engine cranking easily with starter (battery has juice - after that when it comes to bateries, its a lottery anyways, but thankfully not a very expensive one), the gearbox shifts ok through all the gears, and most importantly the bike tracks straight without pulling to one side in a straight line when you leave your hands, then 5k or so less, and you have a at-par-for-the-market deal. 10-15K less and you have a great deal. All the best.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th April 2015 at 12:47.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 14:27   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

2 nights back, i had to push my 390 for 3.5 kms. I am sure to have developed some biceps, as half the pushing distance was slightly uphill.

OK, here the story goes. Had gone to a friends place about 6 kms from home. on my return at around 10pm, the bike gave a couple of jerks and the engine dies down. Re started normally and after 200mts, died again in a similar fashion. henceforth, the bike would start but die down as soon as i would accelerate. then the entire bike went silent. no nothing. Unfortunately, i had kept the toolbox in my shoulder bag, which i was not carrying. had a tough time unplugging all the fuse with finger and to check, found everything was ok. Nails are still hurting from that exercise. suspected broken battery terminal, but did not have the tool to open the front seat. was bit late for road side mechanics to be open, hence has to push the bike home. Next morning opened the front seat to find the battery terminal completely broken. Fixed it temporarily and rode it to autoservice to get a pukka job done.

This battery terminal breaking happening for the second time. First time, the symptoms were entirely different from this event. While i was at autoservice, also got the oil examined for any traces of coolant, without finding any traces of it. next service due in 2000kms so they have suggested to drain the coolant, fill it with distill water, run it for a while to rinse the system, then add fresh coolant.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:35   #4155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
2 nights back, i had to push my 390 for 3.5 kms. .
The newer 390s are supposed to have a fix for the battery terminal braking issue. I think the rider seat has a small design change to avoid breaking the terminals.

If I were you I'd not take the bike out of the service center until they replace the current seat with the redesigned one.

It's a good thing that Bajaj listens to customer grievances and constantly improves it's bikes, but that doesn't mean the customers with the initial lots of bikes keep constantly suffering.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 6th April 2015 at 16:55.

Most Viewed