Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 23:03   #4651
BHPian

Friends looking to buy a complete crash set for my Duke 390. Like the look of plate type ones. Any suggestions. Would like to get the best value for money. Any review on the crash bobbins from motofusion.in
Old 28th July 2015, 11:02   #4652
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

HELP! HELP!!

Last night, on my way home from office, noticed the speedo showing zero while bike was in motion. After riding for a while, the speedo number were coming on and off randomly. This moring, the same issue, but after riding for5-6 kms, the console started showing "LOW BATTERY" warning.
took the bike to nearest service centre (hosur road) and the guys there did not have battery as spare.
Wanted to know if this is a genuine low battery issue or some loose connection? How long does the battery last on an average? Mine is sept 2013 and is been running very regularly. Also, i have been using a par of 10W cree LED lamps as DRLs. Even the horn is a dual windtone type.
KTM service does not stock battery, but suggested that i may get them at Excide outlet. What is the model number, Voltage and amperage? how much would a new battery cost? and most importantly, how long can i run the bike in present condition with the low battery warning on?
Old 28th July 2015, 12:21   #4653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
HELP! HELP!!

Last night, on my way home from office, noticed the speedo showing zero while bike was in motion. After riding for a while, the speedo number were coming on and off randomly. This moring, the same issue, but after riding for5-6 kms, the console started showing "LOW BATTERY" warning.
took the bike to nearest service centre (hosur road) and the guys there did not have battery as spare.
Wanted to know if this is a genuine low battery issue or some loose connection? How long does the battery last on an average? Mine is sept 2013 and is been running very regularly. Also, i have been using a par of 10W cree LED lamps as DRLs. Even the horn is a dual windtone type.
KTM service does not stock battery, but suggested that i may get them at Excide outlet. What is the model number, Voltage and amperage? how much would a new battery cost? and most importantly, how long can i run the bike in present condition with the low battery warning on?
This is not a battery issue. The stator coil on your bike is burnt because of which it is not recharging your battery while in motion. Stator coil will be replaced under warranty. This is a known issue with both the D200 and the D390.

Also, leaving it one more night will ensure you can't even start the bike, no not even a dhakka start.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 28th July 2015 at 12:23.
Old 28th July 2015, 12:25   #4654
BHPian

Quote:
HELP! HELP!!

Same issue with mine, and it's not a trouble with the battery. I changed it (cost 2100 bucks), and that didn't solve anything. The stator coil change (cost 1300 bucks) solved the problem. The battery is fine, it's just not getting charged properly. My bike had done too many kilometers, so the coil wasn't changed under warranty.

It's not recommended to run the bike in low battery. With the amount of engine braking the Dukes generate, it's almost impossible to push start them. Believe me, I tried. If you are in 2nd, even 3rd gear, the rear wheel just keeps sliding. If you try it in 4th or 5th gear, the speed is too low to be sustained at such high gear.

Last edited by RiderZone : 28th July 2015 at 12:28.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:14   #4655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not a battery issue. The stator coil on your bike is burnt because of which it is not recharging your battery while in motion. Stator coil will be replaced under warranty. This is a known issue with both the D200 and the D390.

Also, leaving it one more night will ensure you can't even start the bike, no not even a dhakka start.
Quote:
Same issue with mine, and it's not a trouble with the battery. I changed it (cost 2100 bucks), and that didn't solve anything. The stator coil change (cost 1300 bucks) solved the problem. The battery is fine, it's just not getting charged properly. My bike had done too many kilometers, so the coil wasn't changed under warranty.
OPPS!! i was almost about to go hunting for a battery shop to change the battery, as its almost 2 years old and i have been using aux lights + horn which draw more current then OEM. How long does the battery suppose to last anyways? The stock on my C5 lasted 3.5 years with added load, but i believe the sealed batteries have lesser life. Hope i am about to ride home tonight and start it tomorrow morning to take it to service place to get the coil. Hope the coil is readily available and not a part which has to be ordered for. not sure on the warranty as bike is done 25k kms. :(
Old 28th July 2015, 15:23   #4656
BHPian

My reunion with bae was pretty traumatic. After almost 2.5 months of being parked without any care, it started at the first crank. Unfortunately, there was a near 3 inch nail in my rear Michelin which had almost deflated it. Took it to the best shop nearby to get it pulled out and fixed. Rode around 4 kilometres constantly in 1st gear.

Big thanks to Urban_Nomad for recommending the shop.

Now comes the fun part.

While I was proceeding to the tyre shop, I realised my rear brake lever was MISSING!
Turns out it was somehow damaged by the transport guys when it was sent from Bangalore to Noida. Fortunately, that was the only damage on the bike. There was some sound from the chain, but I attribute that to the fact that it was finally in motion after many days. Shall lube it soon.

Now, weirdly, the people of Noida tend to shut down all shops on Tuesdays, which meant no KTM or Castrol Bike Point could come to my aid. Hence, rode all the way from Noida to Delhi using only my front brake. A pretty difficult task for me, as I always use the rear brake combined with the front at normal times. Somehow reached home a couple of minutes back.

Can anyone kindly tell me what is the cost of the rear brake lever? Whether it can be quickly done at KTM SVCs?

Last edited by barcalad : 28th July 2015 at 15:27.
Old 28th July 2015, 17:37   #4657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Can anyone kindly tell me what is the cost of the rear brake lever? Whether it can be quickly done at KTM SVCs?
Sorry to hear about the damage. The lever is about 350INR, add tax and labour and you are looking at around 400INR. It is a 5 minute job if you have the correct tools.
unk9ja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 17:47   #4658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage. The lever is about 350INR, add tax and labour and you are looking at around 400INR. It is a 5 minute job if you have the correct tools.
Thanks a lot, bud. Just confirmed it from the local SVC and they concur. Going to get it done soon.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:15   #4659
Senior - BHPian

@ RiderZone & Added_flavour:

Went to two service station, and they dont have stock for 2013 model stator coil. There is a different part number for 2013 stator coil and different for 2014& 15. Mine is the 1st gen 390 (2013). They also said the coil for 2014-15 can not be used for 2013 model. Is it true. Also, they mentioned that process to change it required about 3 hours. Is that so? Also what is the exact procedure to make sure its a faulty coil and not a weak battery, ot anything else? What are the other options i have?
Old 29th July 2015, 11:38   #4660
BHPian

Quote:

Went to two service station, and they dont have stock for 2013 model stator coil. There is a different part number for 2013 stator coil and different for 2014& 15. Mine is the 1st gen 390 (2013). They also said the coil for 2014-15 can not be used for 2013 model. Is it true. Also, they mentioned that process to change it required about 3 hours. Is that so? Also what is the exact procedure to make sure its a faulty coil and not a weak battery, ot anything else? What are the other options i have?
1. Mine was the first lot 390 too and the A.S.S did have stock of the coil. There might be a new coil on the newer bikes, I am not sure about this. But what I know is, the stator coil failures have been seen even on the newer 390s.

2. Yes, changing it will take 3 or more hours.

3. Speedometer showing zero, followed by 'Low battery' on the console is a sure shot symptom of the stator coil failure - both on the 200 and 390. Google on this and you will read about it on forums across the world. If you still want to ensure it has nothing to do with battery, plonk a healthy battery, ride around for about an hour and you will notice the same issue again - this is because the battery is not being charged while the vehicle is in motion, as I said before.

Recently a friend who rides a 200 was stranded near Salem with exactly the same symptoms. Got his bike towed to the A.S.S in Salem, replaced the stator coil and continued his ride.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:40   #4661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also what is the exact procedure to make sure its a faulty coil and not a weak battery, ot anything else? What are the other options i have?
As per my knowledge, it involves draining the engine oil opening up the LHS crank case and replacing the coil and refilling the engine oil.

To check if the stator coil is working, you will have to take the voltage reading across the battery terminals while the engine is running. A healthy stator coil should give you a reading of between 13V and 15V (Dont remember the exact figures) while the engine is running with medium throttle. While the engine is switched off, a healthy battery should show close to 12V.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:07   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
As per my knowledge, it involves draining the engine oil opening up the LHS crank case and replacing the coil and refilling the engine oil.

To check if the stator coil is working, you will have to take the voltage reading across the battery terminals while the engine is running. A healthy stator coil should give you a reading of between 13V and 15V (Dont remember the exact figures) while the engine is running with medium throttle. While the engine is switched off, a healthy battery should show close to 12V.
I think it's 14.2V while idling. However, I think it should be a healthy 'Battery' instead of a stator coil. If the battery is fully charged, you will still get those readings on the Voltmeter. However, if the same readings are not seen after running it for a bit, it means the stator coil isn't doing it's job.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:11   #4663
BHPian

Update: The bike was taken to the A.S.S using the flat bed truck. No resolution yet from the A.S.S.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-fullsizerender.jpg
Name:  1.png
Views: 8018
Size:  352.1 KB
Old 29th July 2015, 15:24   #4664
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, 2013 and later models have slightly different fit. I waited for about 2 weeks before I got fed up of the shortage of stator coils, and then ranted off on Facebook with a tag to KTM India. I have no idea how, but they responded, and my issue was solved the next day. You can try your luck with Facebook, or shoot a direct Email to info@ktmindia.com. I have no idea why KTM doesn't stock up on parts, it's not like they are horrendously costly or anything.

Engine oil needs to be drained, and it does take a while. I sat there from 8 in the morning till 2 in the afternoon.

It is guaranteed that your issue is the stator coil. With so many new cases piling up as the Dukes get old, it's a rather common problem with a simple solution. Total cost for me was some 1300 bucks, including labor and all.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:26   #4665
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the inputs. Much helpful.

390 is my only means of commute these days. Wifey is taken over the car, and C5 is sold. No sign of Versys 650. Also, going through very demanding days: office-wise, so difficult to take a day off to attend to the issue.
Not at all the right time encounter this stator coil failure. Will try and leave the bike at Autoservice banashankari, and see how fast they can procure the part and fix it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks