Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 11:58   #4606
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I'm thinking of changing my rear sprocket to the 47 teeth one ,done some net research and gathered some info .

My bike has done 12k and I think sooner or later a sprocket and chain will be on the cards.

Love to know whether anyone has done this mod , looking forward to some valuable inputs .
Old 15th July 2015, 12:08   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No rear view mirrors? Seriously?!
Lol! I had this one coming.

I've devised a cunning plan. Ride fast enough so you don't need them

On a serious note, my bike was vandalised sometime ago. The losers scratched my tank, smashed my mirrors and broke /,bent the stems. This is what actually triggered the mods

The tank could not be repaired and I would have had to fork out around 2500 for a new shroud. Hence came in the wrap for around 700 bucks

For the mirrors, I plan to get the tvs mirrors fitted (thanks to man of steel for the info). Don't have a showroom near to my place though.

But I'll be honest. I don't miss them and probably that's why there's no helter skelter to fit these. See; as long as you keep charging ahead you don't have to bother with what you are leaving behind. And it's not like the stock mirrors provided the best view anyway

Bad jokes aside, I should be getting these mirrors fitted and I will. In the meantime, here's another pic from a recent ride to nainital
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpg  

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 15th July 2015 at 12:10.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 12:39   #4608
Senior - BHPian

The shroud is 2500? With stickers or without? Last I remember it was 900 or so, which is why I never saw the point of buying fancy tank protectors for 1500 bucks when you could change what you were trying to protect for 500 bucks less.

Yup I agree the mirrors are not much use in the city, but I would never ride on to a highway without them. I'd rather stay home.

Bike looks nice in the matte black. Even the white ones look nice with all stickers removed.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:36   #4609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The shroud is 2500? With stickers or without? Last I remember it was 900 or so, which is why I never saw the point of buying fancy tank protectors for .....

Yup I agree the mirrors are not much use in the city, but I would never ride on to a highway without them. I'd rather stay home
I had enquired a while back so can't quote exact amount. The tank shroud is made up of 3 separate panels. The Center / top one costs 1200 IIRC and the side panels another 7-800 each. This is excluding the tank decals, which cost around 350 I think

Totally agree with you that these mirrors are important on the highway. Since majority of my riding is commuting to n from work, I probably don't miss them. But you are right, I should get the mirrors fitted for those highway rides
Old 15th July 2015, 17:23   #4610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
....... In the meantime, here's another pic from a recent ride to nainital
That looks like a familiar road. I'm guessing this is the reason you recommended this route!

The blacked out look on the Dukes look great IMO. As a Triumph owner and someone who test rode the Duke 390 I still secretly lurk on the Duke threads. Maybe a KTM Dual Sport if not the Duke....someday!

Cheers,
Sting.
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 17:38   #4611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup I agree the mirrors are not much use in the city, but I would never ride on to a highway without them. I'd rather stay home.
Cannot disagree on this. Mirrors are must in all condition for me. There are times i have escaped stupid attention less drivers almost taking me out from the rear.

In the us they teach you to stop only in first gear. Never in neutral. And thats a smart teaching for you are always ready to move the bike anytime you see a danger. TO see the danger you have to have those mirrors.

In Highway its even worse when the high speed cars and SUV's sometime take you by surprise.

I remember cruising at 40+ over bullets normal cruising speed only to be taken back by a speeding bmw. The speed at which the beamer was travelling was insane for any roads in the world, may be autobahn. But without the mirrors i would definitely have failed to notice the approaching Beamer.
Old 15th July 2015, 19:17   #4612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Day 2 of my Duke 390 transformation to 'Fear The Black' theme!
Wow! You really are taking this seriously

Name-shame, Title-Shitle

Bike's looking good. Now chop that rear .... quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Personally, I would advise against getting the whole bike getting wrapped in CF vinyl. It will be awesome to look at initially, but after a while the adhesive will start peeling off from the edges and will start to look real nasty.
Absolutely spot on. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
That looks like a familiar road. I'm guessing this is the reason you recommended this route!

..... Maybe a KTM Dual Sport if not the Duke....someday!
I just had to stop here and "take in the scenery". Gorgeous, tranquil

Maybe KTM answers yours (and many many more) prayers and launch the Adv 390. Again, the rumor mill is abuzz with something tasty cooking up at the factory. And .... apparently whats being worked upon is a full blown "Dakar model"
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:24   #4613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
This is pretty peculiar, to say the least. Is your rear brake fluid up to the mark?

There might be a failure in the rear brake piston, I reckon. Get the cables checked too.
Once, when I rode to Kerala, my front brake lost a majority of it's power due to a piston failure, and I covered the 400 kms journey back home using the rear brake in a much larger ratio than I usually do, and it performed pretty well, with it near-succeeding the deficit of the front brake.
Bang on Mate. Pistons were the culprit. Issue resolved. Thanks to all.

Guys any views on Tech Hardy exhaust for Duke 390 sold by MXS Motorsport. Look quite good. Did see some videos on YouTube. Any first hand experiences?
mrohit17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 11:46   #4614
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

After almost 2 yrs of riding the 390, finally i ordered and received the paddock stand. Will unwrap and use it this weekend for chain service etc.

never used a paddock before, just wanted to know if i can manage to pull the bike on the paddock all by myself? is there any trick? or do i need another persons help?

Ordered it from G.A Engineering Auto Accessories @ a cost of 2200 rs.
Old 17th July 2015, 12:18   #4615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
never used a paddock before, just wanted to know if i can manage to pull the bike on the paddock all by myself? is there any trick? or do i need another persons help?
Have you fixed the bobbins to your bike?

Maybe this video will help.

Last edited by batterylow : 17th July 2015 at 12:19. Reason: Adding video
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 12:43   #4616
BHPian

Quote:
After almost 2 yrs of riding the 390, finally i ordered and received the paddock stand. Will unwrap and use it this weekend for chain service etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Have you fixed the bobbins to your bike?
I got the same for my RC390 only a month back. It rests on the swingarm so doesn't require bobbins. Takes only a couple of seconds to mount the bike. Just align the mounts of stand with the swingarm and push the stand down. A few observations and tips which might help you:

1. Recommended to take help from someone to hold the bike still while you mount the bike on stand. Finding a volunteer shouldn't be difficult for a 5 second help. A friend of mine does it alone on Duke 390 but it is not something I would suggest.

2. The area which you would hold by hand while mounting pushing the stand down for mounting is not bent much so make sure your fingers don't get stuck between metal and floor.

Finally, enjoy the nicely built paddock stand and new-found freedom to service your bike!! (Adding a pic of the same stand mounted on my RC)

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-2015-1_edit.jpg
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 21:35   #4617
Senior - BHPian

Guys we are lucky bunch enjoying this 390. A new 390 today in NJ costs close to 4999 before tax and everything. Add another 10% to reach home. Thats the cost of this wonderful bike.

I am picking a Fz6R and will try to give you a comparsion of these two different class bike.

The Fz6R comes with two brothers and a performance chip so excited

@DR- Tried used FZ1 but the newer FZ6R stole the day for me.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 11:33   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Guys we are lucky bunch enjoying this 390. A new 390 today in NJ costs close to 4999 before tax and everything. Add another 10% to reach home. Thats the cost of this wonderful bike.
Oh, so its finally hit US shores?

Please do keep a look out for American developed go-fast mods for us souls sitting back in des

Have told my friend in Australia to do the same.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th July 2015 at 11:47.
Old 18th July 2015, 11:40   #4619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I got the same for my RC390 only a month back
Is 2200 the landed cost or is shipping extra?
Old 18th July 2015, 13:22   #4620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Is 2200 the landed cost or is shipping extra?
I paid 2200 + 200 shipping. Shipping was quoted 400 but ordered for two with a friend so discount was offered.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks