Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2018, 16:01   #6181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Found something strange. I've heard the manual recommends tire pressure at 29/29 (solo) and 29/32 (+ pillion). Just noticed this on the chain guard.
Nopes, my RC390 has 29/29 and 29/32 only
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-wp_20171213_15_39_32_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th April 2018 at 16:05.
Old 8th April 2018, 16:59   #6182
Senior - BHPian

Okay seems I've been filling it +4psi all this while and no wonder I'm finding the ride too stiff up front.

Found the manual and it says 25 psi front.
Rear would be 28.5 (solo) and 32 (pillion).

It matches what the chain guard says.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20180408_1654266082.jpg  

Last edited by Gordon : 8th April 2018 at 17:04.
Old 9th April 2018, 13:20   #6183
Senior - BHPian

Update. Decreased the pressure to 26 (F) and 30 (R) and it made a world of a difference in the ride quality. The front has become so much forgiving. Wondering if I should decrease it further to 25 psi up front. Kept the rear at 30 in case I have a pillion.
Old 9th April 2018, 13:27   #6184
BHPian

Quote:
Update. Decreased the pressure to 26 (F) and 30 (R) and it made a world of a difference in the ride quality. The front has become so much forgiving. Wondering if I should decrease it further to 25 psi up front. Kept the rear at 30 in case I have a pillion.
If it's measured in warm condition then I would suggest to keep the pressure at 25 front and 30 rear(without pillion). In cold condition, 24 would be best for front. This is what I would set it to in my RC200. I know it's not comparable but it helped me a lot as compared to when I was following what was mentioned on the swingarm.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 15:20   #6185
BHPian

Quote:
I have a September 2013 Duke 390. Right from day 1, till now, the last 4 years and 7 months I have just maintained 25 front and 29 rear. I never take a pillion. Never fiddled with the manufacturer's recommendation. And it is working fine for me.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 16:47   #6186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do share your experiences please. Any significant mods, ups and downs, upgrades ,etc.
Experience has been excellent I must say to date. I have a good rapport with the SVC and so I have a good experience. I give them all the time they need for any jobs.

I too have got a NGK plug recently but have not installed it due to time constraints. Mods are purely for safety and convenience. I have an engine guard, a bash plate(removed now as the bracket broke) and a carrier for the luggage. No mods have been done for performance and on electricals. I am still running on the stock bulb. My travel is planned and I don't drive much after dark on highways. I am planning to install a Baja designs aux lamp but could not find someone to carry it from the US.

Replacements done on the bike were fork seal when I went out over the shoulder and hit a small stone, tyres, clutch cable and lever, stator coil at 38K on the odo, battery too around the same time, handle guards and radiator cover when I bumped into a kid on activa driving on the wrong side.

Here is the pic of my bike before my Leh ride

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_4102.jpg

And a more recent one

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20171205_104144.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20171205_104217.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 22:18   #6187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Experience has been excellent I must say to date. I have a good rapport with the SVC and so I have a good experience. I give them all the time they need for any jobs.

I too have got a NGK plug recently but have not installed it due to time constraints. Mods are purely for safety and convenience. I have an engine guard, a bash plate(removed now as the bracket broke) and a carrier for the luggage. No mods have been done for performance and on electricals. I am still running on the stock bulb. My travel is planned and I don't drive much after dark on highways. I am planning to install a Baja designs aux lamp but could not find someone to carry it from the US.

Replacements done on the bike were fork seal when I went out over the shoulder and hit a small stone, tyres, clutch cable and lever, stator coil at 38K on the odo, battery too around the same time, handle guards and radiator cover when I bumped into a kid on activa driving on the wrong side.

Here is the pic of my bike before my Leh ride

Attachment 1750379

And a more recent one

Attachment 1750384

Attachment 1750383
Well kept. Love the tires. Do you not find it cumbersome to ride with the top case? Its quite huge, two helmets would fit in it I suppose.

I'll post a review on my bike soon and mention about my experiences too.

Do share a pic of the spark plug you received.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 16:45   #6188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well kept. Love the tires. Do you not find it cumbersome to ride with the top case? Its quite huge, two helmets would fit in it I suppose.

Do share a pic of the spark plug you received.
The topcase is not cumbersome as percieved. It is more helpful as it fits into the pillion slot rather than the sides lie a saddlebag. The speed I do with the top case is a ton max and average out to around 65-70kmph over a 6 hour period. It holds 2 helmets and if filled right, I find there is no difference in handling.

Regarding the sparkplug, check akshayhonda's post nr. 6133 here a few pages back. I got the plug from him.
Old 5th May 2018, 21:33   #6189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The topcase is not cumbersome as percieved. It is more helpful as it fits into the pillion slot rather than the sides lie a saddlebag. The speed I do with the top case is a ton max and average out to around 65-70kmph over a 6 hour period. It holds 2 helmets and if filled right, I find there is no difference in handling.

Regarding the sparkplug, check akshayhonda's post nr. 6133 here a few pages back. I got the plug from him.
I'm not sure why but there is absolutely not enough space for me to change the spark plug. There is not enough room to remove the plug cap properly or insert the plug wrench into the socket.

Is it the same case with you guys as well?
Old 6th May 2018, 10:29   #6190
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure why but there is absolutely not enough space for me to change the spark plug. There is not enough room to remove the plug cap properly or insert the plug wrench into the socket.

That's how it is, at least with the 2013-2016 390s.
The tank needs to be taken off in order to remove/replace the spark plug.

Apparently, there is a convoluted method to do the same without having to remove the fuel tank, but it involves some fiddling around in that area which will most certainly add a risk of breaking or nicking something; not worth the effort IMO.

Cheers !

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 17:09   #6191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, you need to fiddle around to remove the spark plug as is condition. It is easier with removal of tank.

If you have a socket for spark plug removal, it comes with a built in magnet to which the plug attracts. It is easier that way to remove or you can tie a magnet to a end of a string and pull after loosening the spark plug.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 10:44   #6192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is the case with most people, especially a little trickier for ones with bigger palms. The toolkit that is supplied with the motorcycle has a spark plug tool inside, which can be used to undo the plug.

From my experience I've found it better to start with the right side of the motorcycle, as there is less hindrance. Is it a pain in the posterior? Absolutely. Once the tool slides in, the process is as easy as a draw to remove the plug. Installation of the plug, again is a little cumbersome due to the depth of the cavity, limited space available, but with a couple of tries you finally put it in.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st June 2018, 14:02   #6193
BHPian

What an utterly atrocious experience with KTM in Kolkata !!!

I changed the engine oil barely 1500km back and recently noticed that the oil level had dropped dangerously low - a good 4 or 5mm below minimum mark . This in a bike that has run only 7800km .

But that is not the atrocious part ; it is the location of the service centre which essentially is located bang in the middle of a farm way outside the main city and requires one to cover 1.5km of dirt road ( which was essentially mud due to rain ) . It is unpardonable that the Svc of a brand this big should be located in the middle of nowhere and that too in one of the largest city in this country . No wonder one can barely spot a Ktm on the streets of Kolkata ...
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:03   #6194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I changed the engine oil barely 1500km back and recently noticed that the oil level had dropped dangerously low - a good 4 or 5mm below minimum mark . This in a bike that has run only 7800km .

Did they provide the reason as why the oil level dropped?
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:14   #6195
Senior - BHPian

Office colleague dropped off his Duke for service at the BTM Layout KTM Service Centre in Bangalore for a front fork seal leakage.

After the got the bike back, he noticed the bike would shudder everytime he hit the front brakes. On closer inspection, found out that one of the front brake calliper bolts are missing!

Went to the same KTM service centre, they absolved themselves of any responsibility. And now they don't have stock of the bolt either.

Shocking irresponsibility from KTM's end.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks