Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 10:24   #6121
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Bike is purchased and insured, nothing more.
I am assuming the bike has been bought more than 6 months ago. In that case registration of bike will entail some paperwork and penalty. Add about 1000 rupees for that (may change depending on agent commission).

Quote:
The owner wants a Ninja or something else or maybe he is out money.
Is the owner a kid who got bike from parents, had an accident due to rash driving and now has been grounded so wants to sell the bike? Just thinking out aloud.

Quote:
so is this bike good or should be avoided?
With tyres gone in 4k, punctures and broken crash guard, there isn't much confidence in the general maintenance of bike. For eg., the chain might not have been lubed periodically and with rash driving, chain and sprocket might be in bad shape. Has the first service and oil/filters change carried out in time?

My suggestion would be to avoid. A lemon KTM is a nightmare and no matter what the owner tries, the issues just never stop cropping up.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 10:25   #6122
BHPian

The moment You have doubts, its time to look away; given the condition of the Duke. And its not like a rare motorcycle, You wanna lay hands on!

Also, nothing's more worth than the feel of a New Ride.

Quote:
The tires appear gone plus multiple punctures.

Yes, as pointed by you and Prassy, the crash guard is gone and that points to a crash.

Bike is purchased and insured, nothing more. The owner wants a Ninja or something else or maybe he is out money...so is this bike good or should be avoided?

I am somehow not comfortable with that *ON* the top feeling so I am on the fence.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 10:31   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am somehow not comfortable with that *ON* the top feeling so I am on the fence.
If you are not able to connect with the bike, leave it no matter asking price/specs/performance.
Others have already dissected/inspected bike parts, agree with most opinions.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 10:32   #6124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, avoid that shady 390.

Secondly, that ON feeling is what makes the duke 390 scary

If you want to be inside, one with the bike, nothing comes close to rc390. But it is a bit extreme for a lot of people. That is why suggested Apache RR310. It is similar to R3 ergonomics. Pretty comfortable, yet you sit in the bike.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 10:38   #6125
BHPian

IIRC, test ride bikes need to be registered too. This particular one could be a case of local villagers buying a bike and not registering (happens a lot in north India at least.) Such vehicles are abused by owners and their friends alike. Best to avoid.

Cheers.
Old 31st January 2018, 12:14   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tires appear gone plus multiple punctures.

Yes, as pointed by you and Prassy, the crash guard is gone and that points to a crash.

Bike is purchased and insured, nothing more. The owner wants a Ninja or something else or maybe he is out money...so is this bike good or should be avoided?

I would suggest, avoid to the core. The whole deal seems to be very shady since the bike hasn't been registered. Can you confirm if the bike has a genuine 4k on the odo? We cant even confirm if the bike has been used for any wrong purpose. I have stopped buying preowned bikes, especially after buying a second hand Zma which I ended up getting the engine work done multiple times because the previous owner abused it like crazy.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 31st January 2018 at 12:18.
Old 31st January 2018, 22:40   #6127
BHPian

How much should I pay for a 2015 -2016 pre own Duke 390 done around 5000 kms in pristine condition?
Old 1st February 2018, 09:14   #6128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
How much should I pay for a 2015 -2016 pre own Duke 390 done around 5000 kms in pristine condition?
1-1.2 lakhs depending upon the bike, if it is just a single owner bike.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:22   #6129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Hi All,

One more question, the EU Duke 390 manual downloadable from the website indicates 1.6l of Engine oil to be used. However, our Indian copies of the Duke 390 user manual has no mention of the quantity(unless ive missed it) There is a mention of 1.5l engine oil to be changed on the service slips of our manual though.

I wonder why there would be a difference in oil quantity recommended in the EU and Indian version of the exact same bike?

Can anyone throw some light on this.

Thanks.
Hi..I realized after my 2nd service that the oil level on my 2016 Duke 390 cannot be checked as there is no oil visible in the sight glass. Cool, warmed up, 1 min cool down etc.

I brought this up with KTM dealer, and Area Service Manager and after discussions at their highest level KTM has now informed that they have decided to reduce replacement quantity of engine oil from 1.6L to 1.5L. And, as a result oil will not be visible in the sight glass since the level is now lower.

Which means that the instructions in the Owners Manual on how to check oil level are incorrect. They are now working on revised instructions.

Can people here please be kind enough to check their oil level (Dealer serviced) and report what they find?

I find it hard to believe that KTM has made it such that oil level cannot even be checked by Customers anymore.
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 16:36   #6130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Can people here please be kind enough to check their oil level (Dealer serviced) and report what they find?

I find it hard to believe that KTM has made it such that oil level cannot even be checked by Customers anymore.
I own a 2017 Rc 390. They fill 1.5 liters only and I dont see oil level on the window. Even after tilting to right, oil level doesnt show up. Asked the SVC, they say it is normal.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 20:23   #6131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I own a 2017 Rc 390. They fill 1.5 liters only and I dont see oil level on the window. Even after tilting to right, oil level doesnt show up. Asked the SVC, they say it is normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Hi..I realized after my 2nd service that the oil level on my 2016 Duke 390 cannot be checked as there is no oil visible in the sight glass. Cool, warmed up, 1 min cool down etc.

KTM has now informed that they have decided to reduce replacement quantity of engine oil from 1.6L to 1.5L. And, as a result oil will not be visible in the sight glass since the level is now lower.
This is the case with the Dominar as well, which shares the crankcase bottom. I spoke to the service advisor and they're adamant there is no flaw in the design, they claim that the oil is visible only when fresh filled as there is a separate pocket for it, after the engine is started, the oil is pumped out and never returns into this pocket where it can be visible. To me it seems like a very convoluted explanation and 99.99% sure it is just that.

I did fill an extra 150-200ml oil before my Goa trip and then the oil was visible in the oil window, even after several runs (contrasting against the claimed engine start pumping oil out of the pocket never to be seen again). That said, the engine runs fine even with the lesser prescribed oil quantity where it's not visible in the oil window.

KTM and Bajaj surely goofed on updating the manual, and on training their service crew on this.
Ricci is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:50   #6132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

I did fill an extra 150-200ml oil before my Goa trip and then the oil was visible in the oil window, even after several runs (contrasting against the claimed engine start pumping oil out of the pocket never to be seen again). That said, the engine runs fine even with the lesser prescribed oil quantity where it's not visible in the oil window.
It is correct that these bikes can run with lesser oil an older ones, mainly because of lower clearances within the motor and more much much better oil circulation inside. Plus having too much oil affects performance as there is too much resistance between moving parts. That being said, 100ml oil is hardly anything and wont make any noticeable difference.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:12   #6133
BHPian

NGK Laser Iridium Plugs for Sale

Hi guys,

I recently got almost 2 dozen of NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs compatible for KTM Duke/RC 200/390 from UK through a colleague. I have 8pcs left with me which I thought I could offer to BHPians here if at all they are interested.

Had got these plugs for my friends and for me as well. They costed me INR 700/plug. I wish to give it away to anyone interested here at a cost of INR 750/plug (Includes shipping via Speedpost). Will be sending them across on pre-payment only.

Im not a dealer nor this is a distress sale. I thought someone would benefit from these. A local dealer is asking me for these but dont wanna give away as I already know he will be selling them for 1-1.2K upward each.

Interested people DM me

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-27836078_10215114891246405_1372955315_o.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:48   #6134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
It is correct that these bikes can run with lesser oil an older ones, mainly because of lower clearances within the motor and more much much better oil circulation inside. Plus having too much oil affects performance as there is too much resistance between moving parts. That being said, 100ml oil is hardly anything and wont make any noticeable difference.
What is the point of the sight glass if it cannot be used to check the oil level? I think it is fool hardy to ride around without being able to check the oil level. Moreover, the claims made by the dealership is in direct conflict with the owners manual, which says that the oil level "MUST" be between min and max levels indicated on the sight glass.

I am trying to see if I can escalate this matter to KTM HQ and get a response from them.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:57   #6135
BHPian

Not sure, but I can see neither the oil level nor the coolant level from the window they've provided. Bike runs fine though.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks