Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:09   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Thanks @ nitninja, siddy, Amey and H&A for sharing your thoughts.

I had no idea about the actual resale value of my bike and the figure i had in my mind was based on a quick search for used 2013 Duke 390 on OLX and QUIKR which were much higher. Also, Bangalore being one of the city there the re-sale value of bikes are slightly better than other parts of India. Will consider all your inputs and take a call and let the 390 go to a hopefully sensible rider.
I am not really desperate to sell the bike. I use bikes to commute to work all days of the year. 390 would come really handy during the monsoons where i would want to protect the bonnie from the elements and versys 650 is not ideal for commuting in bangalore traffic in rains where roads are wet and tall visor catches rain drops hampering night visibility greatly.
Just that was not too keen on keeping and maintaining 3 bikes, parking space being another concern. Lets see.

@ Nitninja: sire, i have no idea on what rpm the bike does 100kmpl. coming from riding bullets, am not really used to looking at RPM while on the move. Will try and make a note and post the findings shortly.
Old 26th March 2017, 02:06   #5987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Hey guys, it has been a while since i posted anything here. My 390 just clicked over 22000kms on odo. Changed the chain and sprocket kit to Rolon at 20000 kms.

I've been noticing a peculiar handling characteristic over the last few months. It takes a lot of countersteering effort to turn the bike into left hand turns while the bike falls over to the corner quite quick in right hand turns. Handle bar feels almost heavy while taking left turns. It's fairly noticeable in spirited riding. It's robbing my confidence in cornering as the front end feel is now rather weird. What could be the problem? Could it be the head bearing or the forks. My tires are in generally good shape with no irregular wear patterns
Interesting. I would definitely recommend to have a look at your front coneset both lower and upper. If the balls have been damaged or the races have been rusted over time, it restricts the movement of the handlebar and one side is very sensitive as opposed to the other, in your case left.

Just curious, how much kays has the bike clocked, and would be also great to know about the condition of your front tire.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 13:22   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Interesting. I would definitely recommend to have a look at your front coneset both lower and upper. If the balls have been damaged or the races have been rusted over time, it restricts the movement of the handlebar and one side is very sensitive as opposed to the other, in your case left.

Just curious, how much kays has the bike clocked, and would be also great to know about the condition of your front tire.

Cheers!
VJ
Yes, my friend who is also a Bajaj mechanic was suggesting to replace the cone set. My bike has clocked 22k kms. Cone set never replaced. No pressure washing or anything. Front tire is in pretty good shape and only done about 6k kms. It is mrf but not the regular one(it is a test pair).

In fact, this issue has been there for a while. I never had the confidence in the front end even on metzelers. This became apparent ever since i got a ZMA as a second bike recently. I'm having to put a lot more bar effort to get the 390 turned into left hand corners, especially downhill slow speed ones.
Old 30th March 2017, 18:10   #5989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey guys,
This may not be the ideal thread but would be good to know your thoughts.
I have decided to part ways with my first gen 2013 Duke 390. She is done about 34500 kms and is been maintained well. What should be the price i can expect for that bike in a place like Bangalore? I had 1.2L in mind, but people have been quoting 80 - 90K. Just wanted to get a feeler of whether my expectations are way off the mark. Thanks!

Reason for selling: i have had my fun with the bike for 4years and 35k kms. recently i got a versys 650 and a used bonnie A3, so not riding the 390 much, hence thought of letting it go!
Hey,
One of my friends sold his 2013 Duke 390 with 23Ks for 1.1lk here in Kochi. Somewhere between 90k to 1lk should be a great deal! But Bangalore has lot many Dukes running around, you may have to end up waiting for a while for a good deal. BTW, Enjoy your new rides
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:11   #5990
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Duke 390 5000 kms service

It was almost a year since my friend had done the last paid service. But the bike wasn't even run for 500 kms from the last service. So I thought I'll get all the fluids and filters changed. Had heard a good reviews of the KTM Andheri East service center (Ahuja Automobiles), so took the bike there. Took the bike in at 5300 kms and had the oil changed, coolant topped up, brake pads cleaned, oil, fuel and air filter replaced. All in all the service cost came up to a decent Rs 2500 of which Rs 750 was labour.

A couple of observations- the "swish swish" sound as per the technician was apparently from the front brake pads and not the chain as I had thought. Had a chat with another Duke and he mentioned too that he is facing the same issues. The pads were cleaned and the sound has reduced but not eliminated.

After the oil change the bike is running a bit cooler. Even in heavy traffic the temperature did not rise enjoy to activate the fan. The bike is now smooth and sounds more refined and slightly muted.
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:18   #5991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey guys,
This may not be the ideal thread but would be good to know your thoughts.
I have decided to part ways with my first gen 2013 Duke 390. She is done about 34500 kms and is been maintained well. What should be the price i can expect for that bike in a place like Bangalore? I had 1.2L in mind, but people have been quoting 80 - 90K. Just wanted to get a feeler of whether my expectations are way off the mark. Thanks!

Reason for selling: i have had my fun with the bike for 4years and 35k kms. recently i got a versys 650 and a used bonnie A3, so not riding the 390 much, hence thought of letting it go!
I got 1.25 for my 2013 Nov 390 , clocked 9,8k Kms. This was after holding on for close to 7 months for the right price. Immaculate condition though , it hurt to sell at that price but you have to accept the market .
Old 9th April 2017, 11:21   #5992
BHPian

Heya guys how you all have been! So, I got a Duke 390 last year in October. Deliberately went for the older version as I knew BS4 norms are going to tone down the aggression and the way the 390 goes nuts.
I have clocked 7500 KM on it till date. Recently did the second service at 6300km on odo. Did not change the air filter and fuel filter as I guess they can be stretched till the third service.
Let me quickly evaluate the pros and cons

Pros-
1. Power! The moment I accelerated it after taking the delivery, I knew I got
to wield it carefully.
2. Comfort- Upright seating is way too better than a supersport bike.
3. Handling- Too confidence inspiring!
4. Rawness- I like motorcycles to be aggressive and the 390's sound and
temperamental nature brings out giggles.
5. It is a sleeper(?) in a way that people do not notice it in a way they do
for a faired supersport bike. It turns heads no doubt though.

Cons-
1. Small tank- Especially with an efficiency of 26Kmpl, it gives you a feeling
that you are refuelling way too often.
2. Hard front suspension- It is darn too cumbersome to slow down for every
undulation on our 'brilliant' roads.
3. Oil seepage from engine head- Not a big concern but Bajaj should provide
better gaskets.
4. Tiny tacho- KTM should provide a magnifying glass to have a look at it on
the go. Also, the console vanishes if the sun is shining directly above it.
5. Looks- Certainly not as outright diva as my earlier bike, the R15 V2.

I am totally happy with the bike. The way it compresses distances is quite beautiful. Here is hoping to add lots and lots of numbers to that ODO!!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170301_210253.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170409_081725_301.jpg  

Last edited by sarcastichouse : 9th April 2017 at 11:31. Reason: Adding another photo
sarcastichouse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 19:27   #5993
BHPian

Me and wife did a trip to goa from neyveli, total distance came to around 2300 kms. Duke 390 performed splendidly, except for one niggle which popped up after crossing bangalore. Bike started running two bars hotter than normal and High coolant temperature error would pop up everytime i start the bike. Somehow managed to reach goa and showed it to KTM technicians. They flushed the radiator and filled up the coolant. Their reasoning was that bleeding might not have been done properly last time trapping the air inside, actually flushing was done 1K kms back at pondycherry. I did not face the problem on the return journey.

Duke 390 is a thoroughly fun bike and never did bore me on those four lanes. I could constantly cruise at 120 kmph at ease and still have some power left for those overtakes. Handling was razor sharp, giving that extra bit of confidence on the highways. We both weigh 150 kgs and luggage would be around 10 kgs, even then there was not an instance of nervousness, absolutely brilliant handling. Now for some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_7748.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_7734.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_7719.jpg  

nitninja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 10:11   #5994
BHPian

Any D390 owner here ever got their tappets and valve train adjusted to reduce noise? My duke has been noisy since day 1 and after 10500 kms sometimes I hear excessive fast ratting noises when I let go off the throttle, anyone experienced this? Oil level is good.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th April 2017, 14:58   #5995
BHPian

@nitnija - nice pics.

Can you share please some details / pics of the aux lights you have installed in your Duke and how they have been performing?

Regards
Ronald
scarecrow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 21:27   #5996
BHPian

@nitnija - Short and Crisp write-up.

How was the comfort for you and especially the pillion on such a long ride? Assuming you have taken short breaks.

I'm looking at a second hand D390 and the comfort factor is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
Hades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 23:06   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
@nitnija - nice pics.

Can you share please some details / pics of the aux lights you have installed in your Duke and how they have been performing?

Regards
Ronald
Sir check post number 5695 by CGB in this link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hread-380.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
@nitnija - Short and Crisp write-up.

How was the comfort for you and especially the pillion on such a long ride? Assuming you have taken short breaks.

I'm looking at a second hand D390 and the comfort factor is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
I was comfortable as i was sitting upright, absolutely no stress anywhere in the body. I have added gel seat to the rider seat, so long hauls isn't a tiring affair anymore. Wife was comfortable too as she is used to the pillion seat in the duke, but occasionally she did complain of the cramped seat. Pillion seat being narrow, will be very uncomfortable if the pillion is on the heavier side. Im thinking of adding a gel seat cover to the pillion seat to better the comfort. Occasional touring on the 390 with pillion is ok, but if it's going to be with pillion all the time, look elsewhere.
Old 21st April 2017, 13:56   #5998
BHPian

Im looking for some assistance for off-road/rough road friendly tires for the 390.

Prime candidates are:
  • Ralco Speed Blaster ( Front and rear)
  • Ceat Vertigo Sport(Front)
  • MRF Mogrip Meteor(Rear)
  • Michelin Sirac(front)
What will be the best tire for hitting himalyan trails?

Also, like many, the top bolt of my right crash guard has sheared off. Again. Has anyone found a permanent solution to the menace?
Old 25th April 2017, 23:21   #5999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Im looking for some assistance for off-road/rough road friendly tires for the 390.

Prime candidates are:
  • Ralco Speed Blaster ( Front and rear)
  • Ceat Vertigo Sport(Front)
  • MRF Mogrip Meteor(Rear)
  • Michelin Sirac(front)
What will be the best tire for hitting himalyan trails?

Also, like many, the top bolt of my right crash guard has sheared off. Again. Has anyone found a permanent solution to the menace?
I think unk9ja or someone if my memory serves me correct had his Duke fitted with Vertigo Sport for Ladakh and it performed flawlessly. Perhaps, you can try searching for his article here in our forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uke-390-a.html

Cheers!
VJ
Old 26th April 2017, 07:42   #6000
Senior - BHPian

Yes I had it on my Ladakh drive and beyond that and I was quite impressed with those shoes. But now it is out of production and the available ones are too old and unsafe as I see it. Ebonho had this on his NE sojourn, but had managed to do a 6k run compared to 22k on mine. So if you come across any Vertigo sport, double check the production details. Also some of these were discarded by owners due to instability and excessive vibration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks