Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 08:36   #5911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
How does one adjust engine idle speed on a Duke 390?
As far as I'm aware, that's not feasible since it seems to be set from the ECU. The first couple of 390 batches (2013) came with an idling speed of 1300 rpm. The later ones came with an 1800 rpm idle speed. Can you share the specific issue you're facing?
Old 1st January 2017, 19:40   #5912
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Thanks for the info again! By the Way, if anyone is thinking of getting the tail tidy for Duke 390 from Autologue, please refrain from getting one costing Rs 5500, since even though their customer interactions are great, the product is not up to the mark. Although i got the initial product replaced due to it being faulty, the replacement tidy was also not good. It has got lot of gaps and does not fit well into the rest of the tail housing of the Duke. Rainy season will for sure put your ECU and other wiring at risk. I can upload some pics if anyone wants to take a look at them.
Sweet. Can you kindly post the pictures along with the gaps that you've mentioned. It's not that I am looking to purchase one, would be helpful to know the differences, though there were instances where I did consider purchasing one. Would be great if you could post some pictures, especially the gaps.

Quote:
How does one adjust engine idle speed on a Duke 390?
You cannot adjust idle speed of the Duke or for that matter any FI bike unless it's done at the ECU level. I suppose you are facing stalling issues?

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st January 2017, 20:04   #5913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post

You cannot adjust idle speed of the Duke or for that matter any FI bike unless it's done at the ECU level. I suppose you are facing stalling issues?

Cheers!
VJ
Ofcourse you can. Just look for the idle screw below the fuel tank that connects with the accelerator cable. Its possible on the versys atleast.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 20:27   #5914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ofcourse you can. Just look for the idle screw below the fuel tank that connects with the accelerator cable. Its possible on the versys atleast.
You are right, FI bikes can have their idle adjusted, eventually and I would recommend referring to the manual. The Duke's throttle body doesn't have any idle screws. And most of the times, idle is adjusted at the throttle cable level, even in FI cases, not directly fiddled with the throttle body.

And in my case, Honda strictly suggests not to fiddle with the idle screw or any other screws as they are set from factory and can recalibrate the sensor settings, it was mentioned in the manual (quote from memory)

Keeping that in mind, unless the manual states as such, I wouldn't recommend fiddling with screws that are clearly marked not to touch. The Duke's has a stepper motor which controls idle, directly from the input from the ECU.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st January 2017, 23:27   #5915
Distinguished - BHPian

Not that it has anything to do with the Duke 390 but, the fuel injected Royal Enfield has a large, brass screw accessible from the top of the throttle body which is specifically for adjusting the idle speed.
This large screw is located down in a hole so it is easily overlooked.

There is also a screw on the side of the throttle body that positions the throttle plate however this screw is factory set and should never be adjusted by a mechanic.
The big brass screw is the only thing that should be rotated to control the idle speed.

That said, I would think there must be some method of adjusting the idle on the Duke beyond playing with the throttle cable.
Does anyone have access to a Duke 390 Service Manual? It should describe the procedure.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:09   #5916
BHPian

Quote:
...You cannot adjust idle speed of the Duke or for that matter any FI bike unless it's done at the ECU level. I suppose you are facing stalling issues?
VJ
Thanks for your reply. BTW, my CBR600RR FI has an idle screw just like carburettor bikes.

Duke engine was idling fast. Now, it seems ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Does anyone have access to a Duke 390 Service Manual? It should describe the procedure.
I'd like to get my hands on a Service Manual too.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd January 2017 at 17:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please read the rules before proceeding further. Thanks!
Old 6th January 2017, 13:12   #5917
BHPian

My duke has done 23000 kms in a span of 11 months and still roars like new. Duke has been very reliable till date and im totally satisfied with it. It is one of those versatile bikes that you can find in the market now, urban commute or touring, it just excels. I will split my experience into two parts, urban commute and touring. Im mainly concentrating on the negatives as positives have already been discussed to death in the thread.

Urban commute:
Duke 390 is made for open roads where it stays calm and cool. In first two gears at lower RPMs the bike jerks which makes it difficult to ride slowly. The only way is to ride fast or be above 5000 RPM. The bike does heats up and riding with sandals is a strict no. Once i was stuck in heavy traffic, bike's heat was burning my feet and i just couldn't turn off the engine as the radiator fan was running. From then on i never ride with my sandals, lesson learnt.
Now coming to the ergonomics, you are actually at an advantage,wrist doesn't pain anymore, pillion doesn't lean on you and morover you can reach the office without any cramps.Rider seat has a bit of an area to move around whereas pillion seat is a pure torture device designed by KTM, seems like pillion seat was an afterthought.
Bike lacks low end torque and with a pillion bit of a throttle is needed to get going, though this isn't a negative, some may find it irritating. Duke is sprung stiff and it shows up when you hit potholes. A terrible jolt is felt on shoulders and back when hitting bad potholes, with a pillion. Coming to ground clearence, one needs to be careful over the speed humps with pillion. But all the negatives vanish when you twist the throttle and hold on to the handlebar for your dear life.

Touring:
390 is a cracker on the highways.Period. In my bike atleast i feel vibrations around 80 kmph and anything more than that vibrations are very less. It is not as smooth as my CBR 250r but its manageable. I have added a windshield and dont face much windblast now. I can now comfortably cruise at 110 kmph where the engine sounds sweet. Engine braking is too much on the 390, that does take the pleasure out while touring. Tank range is pretty low, 180 kms and i reach the reserve. It is kind of frustating to stop every now and then to fill up and morover finding petrol bunks in night is such a task.
Suspension could have been softer which would have aided in the highway runs, taking less toll on the body too. Bike is tuned for handling which i understand, but it's not like we ride everyday on track. I wish KTM brings in softer suspension in the new 390. Coming to ergonomics, it is comfortable sitting upright but bent knees are a discomfort in an otherwise brilliant seating position.

Bike has been reliable throughout and had never left me stranded on highways but mine had its share of issues.

warranty replacements:

1.Waterpump seals
2.exhaust replacement

Will i buy another 390 ? Definitely yes. Duke 390 has character and i love it. But i wish they improve their plastic quality in the next iterations.I wish!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_2247.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_7191.jpg  

Last edited by nitninja : 6th January 2017 at 13:41. Reason: Added a point
nitninja is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 09:45   #5918
BHPian

Anyone else find the rear shock weak and with not enough damping which makes it "bouncy" and slightly unstable? I weigh 80-85kg.
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 17:33   #5919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone else find the rear shock weak and with not enough damping which makes it "bouncy" and slightly unstable? I weigh 80-85kg.
You can fiddle around with the settings on the shock and see what is best suited for you. Hardly takes any time of yours. Take the help of the folks at SVC for the job. You need a service tool (The name of which I forgot) used by the SVC for this job.
unk9ja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 18:07   #5920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
You can fiddle around with the settings on the shock and see what is best suited for you. Hardly takes any time of yours. Take the help of the folks at SVC for the job. You need a service tool (The name of which I forgot) used by the SVC for this job.
Yes. The preload can be adjusted. and there is a tool included in the tool kit. I've adjusted preload to max. But, I cannot seem to find any damping (compression/rebound) adjustment.
Old 10th January 2017, 11:35   #5921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My duke has done 23000 kms in a span of 11 months and still roars like new.
Very well summarized and very much inline with my thoughts on the 390. Love it except for the stiff suspension and a bit low on low end torque. i have around 37000 on the odo and have thoroughly enjoyed last 3 years with the bike. almost trouble free and easy on maintenance. But soon i may have to part with my 390 as i have been thinking about getting a used bonnie to replace 390. Hoping to get back with KTM when their adventure (if at all) is launched.
Old 10th January 2017, 22:11   #5922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Very well summarized and very much inline with my thoughts on the 390. Love it except for the stiff suspension and a bit low on low end torque. i have around 37000 on the odo and have thoroughly enjoyed last 3 years with the bike. almost trouble free and easy on maintenance. But soon i may have to part with my 390 as i have been thinking about getting a used bonnie to replace 390. Hoping to get back with KTM when their adventure (if at all) is launched.
Thank you. Bonnie is a great bike and im very sure you will be happy with it. One more advantage of KTM is the spare parts availability, very easy to get even the rare parts.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 01:52   #5923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Bhpians have summed it up quite nicely, regarding the settings and so forth. But if you're observing the sudden onset of "bouncy" "jittery" feeling, even though you've stayed on "whatever the setting" your rear shock is in currently, then I would suggest you to check if there is any fluid leak from the rear shock.

There have been cases where rear shock tends to leak oil, and this in turn makes the suspension feel soggy and bottom out. If that is the case, replacement of the shock is necessary.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 09:11   #5924
BHPian

Quote:
Sweet. Can you kindly post the pictures along with the gaps that you've mentioned. It's not that I am looking to purchase one, would be helpful to know the differences, though there were instances where I did consider purchasing one. Would be great if you could post some pictures, especially the gaps.
@ VijayAnand1 Sorry for the late reply. I became a father recently , so was away for a while. As I had mentioned before, Autologue made a new Tail Tidy when I raised the issue of gaps. But I think their product will still have the inherent flaws of the mold/cast they use. I had to wedge the new Tail tidy on to my Duke. Some gaps still remain and I personally don't recommend it during monsoon season. Although the product quality was only satisfactory, please know that Autologue showed good response to customer complaints and did deliver on time. I will post some pics of the Autologue Tidy after full installation later as unfortunately I don't have them with me now.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161104_153307.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161104_153422.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161104_153317.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161104_152941.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161104_154255.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20161104_153438.jpg  

antonjeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:15   #5925
BHPian

Please Help All,

My Duke 390 doesn't start :( after being idle for 1 month, since I was out of station. Can you help me in finding out the possible culprit?

Some History: Immaculately maintained, 7220 KM, only used BP Speed 93, 97, Shell V Power throughout the bike's usage. Occasionally used normal fuel while travelling long distances, never had any stalling issues, Engine Oil Used from 1st Service-Motul 15W 50.

Current Condition: Using RD Powertronics ECU since 5 months, currently there is about ~1 litre of a mixture of Speed 93 & 97, Battery is in working condition.

Any Possible culprits:
1) Dirty/carbonized Spark Plug?
2) Faulty Fuel Pump/Fuel Injector-If so, is there any way to identify that problem?
3) Has anyone tried push starting Duke 390 (With Slipper Clutch)-I tried in 2nd and 4th gears, but of no avail. Is push starting possible in these Dukes?
4) Any other reasons? Please give suggestions and your help is much appreciated.

Most Viewed