Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 21:55   #5881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
This internal thread where the rod gets fit is of non standard size, thus the difficulty in fabricating these spacers.
If a tap was available off the shelf, unlike to be a nonstandard type. Also can't figure out why a machine shop could not cut the threads. If you still have the tap, can you give us the size?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th December 2016, 22:13   #5882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If a tap was available off the shelf, unlike to be a nonstandard type. Also can't figure out why a machine shop could not cut the threads. If you still have the tap, can you give us the size?

Regards
Sutripta
The tap is available but since it is rarely used people dont usually stock it. The tap set is 11mm OD but pitch was something really odd, i dont really know the technicality since I let the workshop guy do the talking to the supplier. I didnt want the machine shop to tamper with any other part of the OE forks since I want the mod to be reversible.
Old 13th December 2016, 22:26   #5883
Senior - BHPian

Most lathes here have an Imperial (TPI) leadscrew. But with a 127 tooth changegear, should be able to cut most metric pitches accurately. For small engagement lengths, even theoretically nonaccurate solutions like a 47/37 combination works. The problem with internal threads is normally the size of the toolholder. But 11mm (approx 9.5 minor dia) is ample. So my curiosity remains:- why did the machine shop shy away from what is supposed to be its bread and butter job?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th December 2016, 11:22   #5884
BHPian

Could some fellow bike owners kindly comment on how to remove the chain on the Duke 390? I couldn't find the master link / clip for the O Ring chain on my Duke?

Please help, as I am trying out a new front sprocket Do we need any specific chain breaker tool for the Duke?
Old 19th December 2016, 16:18   #5885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Could some fellow bike owners kindly comment on how to remove the chain on the Duke 390? I couldn't find the master link / clip for the O Ring chain on my Duke?

Please help, as I am trying out a new front sprocket. Do we need any specific chain breaker tool for the Duke?
This is an endless chain and does not come with the link. So you need to slacken the chain tension, remove the rear wheel and then take the chain out.

Due to the high torque generated, the chain is made endless. The link would be the weakest part and would snap in case of failure. with the endless feature, the entire chain wil have a similar strength.
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 16:23   #5886
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Can anyone advise me on how to get the ABS fuse out of the bike? Basically, want to disable the ABS for the off road runs. Simply disabling it from the button on the console does not work at all. The ABS still kicks in, and rather prematurely too in the loose stuff

There is a separate ABS fuse box and the main fuse box too has a fuse that says ABS. Not sure how to go about it
Old 19th December 2016, 16:42   #5887

I have a 2016 Duke 390 and it comes with headlight always ON feature. I'm getting quite annoyed these days as everyone is trying to signal me to turn OFF my headlight

The headlight is pretty bright during day time and easily catches the attention of on coming traffic.

I understand the tremendous impact it has on safety by making others aware of my presence but this feature is of no use in slow moving city traffic

Is there any way to turn it OFF like how the ABS can be turned OFF ?

I don't want to mess around with the wiring as it voids warranty.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:42   #5888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
I have a 2016 Duke 390 and it comes with headlight always ON feature. I'm getting quite annoyed these days as everyone is trying to signal me to turn OFF my headlight

The headlight is pretty bright during day time and easily catches the attention of on coming traffic.

I understand the tremendous impact it has on safety by making others aware of my presence but this feature is of no use in slow moving city traffic

And Yamaha is releasing a new "version" of the R15 with this "feature" (super annoyance, if you ask me). You're right. There is absolutely no use of this in a country like ours where most of the riding is in slow moving city traffic. Not to mention the strain it puts on the battery and life of the bulb or LED (in case of Dominar).
Old 21st December 2016, 11:07   #5889
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2016 Duke 390 and it comes with headlight always ON feature. I'm getting quite annoyed these days as everyone is trying to signal me to turn OFF my headligh?

I ride a 2016 duke 390 and the headlight always ON feature is turning out to be a lifesaver. Most people waiting at the intersection to cross, leave way for the 390 just because they are able to see the bike better and yes i do get those occassional signs from people to turn the light off. I would suggest you to not to fiddle with the bike's electricals, they are better left in stock state.
nitninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 11:11   #5890
BHPian

Quote:

Globally it is the trend (and indeed law in some countries) to have always On light. I also read in news that India will be introducing similar law from April 2017. There is no option other than messing with the wires.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 12:35   #5891
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Added 2.5" fork spacers to my 390 to improve ground clearance and seating position. Now the whole setup is much much comfortable over longer distances. Will be testing the bike over a 2.5k kms ride south next week. The bike now has a 213mm unloaded ground clearance. For some reason the ride feels softer.

The bike has 2" handlebar risers as well. One issue that ive hit is that the bike leans a lot on the side stand so I'll have to fabricate an extension of the side stand's base plate of about 1 or 0.5 inch.
Hey Ashwin, thats a very interesting mod and i am very curious to know the differences in handling, braking, leaning, and riding posture ergonomics, before and after this mod. I have been wanting to raise the front end but could only manage a 1.5" handle bar riser. Do share in detail about Pros and cons of this mod. Also in your later posts you have mentioned about some special internal threading on the fork spacers. Now that u already have a source to fabricate it and also the internal tap tool, would it be feasible for you to get a few pieces made and couriered to folks who would be interested in this? It will be very helpful. We can transfer the cost + courier charges beforehand to your account. I am in. Anyone else looking forward to trying out this 2.5" fork spacer? Thanks!!

Quote:
And Yamaha is releasing a new "version" of the R15 with this "feature" (super annoyance, if you ask me). You're right. There is absolutely no use of this in a country like ours where most of the riding is in slow moving city traffic. Not to mention the strain it puts on the battery and life of the bulb or LED (in case of Dominar).
I have first lot 390 and have installed a pair of 10W Cree LED lights, which are always on as DRL. And TRUST me, if may come across as annoying in the beginning but even at slower speeds in city, it is really helpful. For all those autowallahs and ubers and olas (who think they own the road), and simply cut lanes, do mostly have a rear glance and catch the light. I have personally noticed the difference many times and feel that headlights on throughout is a blessing in disguise in city as well as highway.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 16:47   #5892
BHPian

2017 KTM Duke 390 launches in Feb / March 2017!

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...engine/481589/
Old 21st December 2016, 21:03   #5893

Hi All,

I am waiting for KTM 390 2017 version. Probably it will be launched in next 2-3 months.
Need a bike mainly for long touring purposes and occasional city rides.

My only question to the owners is that how does the bike performs from touring point of view. And mainly keeping the seating posture and riding comfort in mind. Is it uncomfortable on long rides or a bit of physical fitness will be tested :-)

I should not dare to ask how good the bike is as far its power is concerned :-).
May be a wrong thread to ask , but can I consider the Dominar.
Old 21st December 2016, 23:52   #5894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadilicious View Post
Hi All,

I am waiting for KTM 390 2017 version. Probably it will be launched in next 2-3 months.
Need a bike mainly for long touring purposes and occasional city rides.

My only question to the owners is that how does the bike performs from touring point of view. And mainly keeping the seating posture and riding comfort in mind. Is it uncomfortable on long rides or a bit of physical fitness will be tested :-)

I should not dare to ask how good the bike is as far its power is concerned :-).
May be a wrong thread to ask , but can I consider the Dominar.
From what I have come to know, the 2017 model is likely to have separate function forks and gps navigation, larger tanks, counter balancer, led headlamps, cornering abs which should improve the touring capability of the bike over the current model and also of that of the dominar. But then again the OTP difference will be around 1 lakh. It will be worthwhile to wait for the testride of the 2017 model, before committing.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 08:22   #5895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
cornering abs which should improve the touring.....
Though much of what you've said is correct, I believe cornering ABS/lean sensor was given a miss in the upcoming MY'17 390. What it instead gets (rather retains) is a disengageable dual-channel ABS.

Also the GPS navigation facility is essentially your smart-phone being tethered with the bike's console & even that would be an optional feature. I believe in KTM's parlance, that is MY-RIDE feature. Availing this would probably come at an added cost, though the India web-site does not mention of it as an optional feature, explicitly. I would love to be proven wrong if KTM is providing this as default.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks