Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 19:53   #6631
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd
Posts: 3,440
Thanked: 6,496 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Anyways I will be giving my bike for the ABS pump replacement to Zenngine on the 18 of this month
Please keep us posted on the ABS pump replacement. Mine too has gone and the service center quoted 14-18k not sure exactly how much. I felt like such a part should not fail or require replacement.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 23:11   #6632
BHPian
 
Dhruv Shetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 291 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please keep us posted on the ABS pump replacement. Mine too has gone and the service center quoted 14-18k not sure exactly how much. I felt like such a part should not fail or require replacement.
When I asked at the service centre i was quoted 21k, just catch 24k max with all the labour and tax to be on the safer side. How old is your bike and what is the kilometer reading. My 390 ABS pump failed after 7 years.
Dhruv Shetty is offline  
Old 15th September 2021, 19:57   #6633
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 811
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Hey guys,

My radiator fan started acting wierd, during the lockdown the fan stopped working, after the restrictions were eased off a bit, I started taking the bike out for a spin around the area, during these spins the fan started working fine for sometime. The problem is when you shut the bike off and start it again, the fan should kick in within 3 seconds, but that does not happen in my case it either starts after a minute even if the temperature gauge is full or does not start at all. After riding the bike more regularly the fan sometimes works fine and sometimes it spins weakly on idle,or it doesn't spin continuously, it spins for 2 seconds and stops as shown in video below.

I gave the bike to the SVC to get the fan changed, they say the fan is fine and does not to be replaced, even after explaining it properly. Anyways I will be giving my bike for the ABS pump replacement to Zenngine on the 18 of this month, I will get the fan checked properly and replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
When I asked at the service centre i was quoted 21k, just catch 24k max with all the labour and tax to be on the safer side. How old is your bike and what is the kilometer reading. My 390 ABS pump failed after 7 years.

Dhruv, your radiator fan is faulty. It shouldn't spin intermittently and always does a full run and off. Either your fan or coolant temperature switch is faulty. Start off by checking the connectors of fan, a loose connector can cause intermittent connection and hence the result you see. In all cases, I suspect a faulty fan, get it checked and replaced. Make sure your coolant temperature switch is inspected too.

The ABS module is the second most expensive part after the forks themselves. If you can source a used one, very well and good. If not, and you don't mind having the ABS, remove the ABS fuse and you have braking without ABS. The braking will work absolutely fine, though you're sans ABS.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 02:05   #6634
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd
Posts: 3,440
Thanked: 6,496 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
How old is your bike and what is the kilometer reading. My 390 ABS pump failed after 7 years.
My service guy told me to wait and that he will try salvaging one or buying a used pump from a track spec'd bike for cheaper. My bike is a 2015 model the ABS pump failed back in 2018 itself. I had completed close to 40k kms at that time. At the moment I have had it all disconnected removed from the bike. I am still not sure whether to buy a new one and if there are different ones according to the model year because I have heard that the ABS' pulsating characteristics were less obtrusive on newer models and also I have changed the rotors and master cylinder to the post 2017 model one and plan on upgrading the rims and rotors again once spares for the new model are out so not sure if all of this will play foul when replacing the ABS pump. Another thing is that I don't know why it failed nor is anyone telling me why it could have failed. Atleast if I knew that then I could figure out what kind of preventive maintenance/precautions need to be taken to extend the life of this part.
IshaanIan is offline  
Old 9th October 2021, 15:58   #6635
BHPian
 
Dhruv Shetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 291 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Update on the bike

The ABS motor has been replaced, the pump costed me 20k. The fan is working fine, the coolant has been to swapped to Engine ice going to see how it performs compared to Motul, changed the front brake pads to sintered, the bike braking system runs on Liqui Moly 5. 1 brake oil and a new front fender. The total bill came up to 30k

Cheers.
Dhruv Shetty.

Last edited by Dhruv Shetty : 9th October 2021 at 15:59. Reason: Added some words.
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:02   #6636
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 811
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Update on the bike

The ABS motor has been replaced, the pump costed me 20k. The fan is working fine, the coolant has been to swapped to Engine ice going to see how it performs compared to Motul, changed the front brake pads to sintered, the bike braking system runs on Liqui Moly 5. 1 brake oil and a new front fender. The total bill came up to 30k

Cheers.
Dhruv Shetty.
Fantastic! You've made the right choice spending on a new one, used ones are a hit or miss and that's an altogether different conundrum if they don't work. Hopefully you'll love the braking after this mod. Sintered brake pads offer excellent bite, give it some time to bed in after doing some hard braking and all you'll ever need is one finger, for the most part.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:35   #6637
BHPian
 
lark63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 68 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hello all.
I am having a 2013 Nov Model Duke 390.
Can somebody tell me the BS spec of that model i.e., whether BS3 or BS4. (Am too lazy to hunt for the bike manual now and not sure even where to search. )
Why this question now ?
The emission test has a validity of 6 months only now. The certificate also says 6months validity for BS3 and below whereas it is 1year for BS4.
Thanks.
lark63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:54   #6638
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 811
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Hello all.
I am having a 2013 Nov Model Duke 390.
Can somebody tell me the BS spec of that model i.e., whether BS3 or BS4. (Am too lazy to hunt for the bike manual now and not sure even where to search. )
Why this question now ?
The emission test has a validity of 6 months only now. The certificate also says 6months validity for BS3 and below whereas it is 1year for BS4.
Thanks.
All the bikes sold till 2013-2015, 2016 mid were all BSIII, and post 2017 came the newer redesigned BSIV and then the jump to BS6 from 2020 with mucho more add ons like QS and the like. Cherish your BS3 machine, the maniacal madness you get from those are sadly missing in the current gen from my experience.

Even for BS4, vehicles manufactured after 2018 have the option of one year PUC validity. Rest all have six months, so six months it is for you (us)

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:08   #6639
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,818
Thanked: 8,312 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Cherish your BS3 machine, the maniacal madness you get from those are sadly missing in the current gen from my experience.

Cheers!
VJ
Amen to that. The 2 stroke autos from Hell!!!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 21:38   #6640
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd
Posts: 3,440
Thanked: 6,496 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Tyre update on my BS3 RC390:

Haven't used my bike much during the pandemic, decided to give it some much needed TLC. Along with a service it was due for a tyre change both front and rear. My serviceguy informed me that my favorite tyres, the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, weren't available anymore due to some new tyre import restrictions. He informed me that I could either get the Apollo Alpha H1s or some new TVS Protorq Extreme tyres. My experience with the TVS brand has been limited to using TVS girling branded brake pads in my WagonR. They performed distinctively better than any bosch or other generic brake pads so my impression of the brand was good and with a heavy heart I decided to get their new tyres.

The carcass is no where near as soft and compliant as the Pirellis nor is the turn-in as lightning quick. They definitely turn-in faster than the Metzeler M5 sportecs though but do not heat up as quickly as the Metzelers. Progression through lean is linear however and overall the tyres feel good I would rate them higher than the Apollo Alpha H1s. Do note that this is only an initial observation. I am happy with the tyres although I do miss my Pirellis.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:59   #6641
BHPian
 
lark63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 68 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi.
My 390 (2013 model) insurance with ICICI Lombard has expired on 21st. I tried renewal on 24th. Renewal link was not working. Lodged a complaint and nothing happened till today. Now company rep called and says the policy has expired and can not be renewed. Fresh policy is to be issued.

In that case,I asked the agent for 3rd party alone policy. The agent says 3rd party alone is not issued and it has to be comprehensive only. Any feedback on this ?

The IDV was increased to almost 150000 (from 91000 as it was in old policy). Agent says can not reduce to value to less than this and it is more beneficial to have higher value. As I know at the time of payment this value even if it is high will not be considered. It will only mean more premium for them. Correct me if I am wrong.

Told the agent to bring down the IDV to 90000 and 50% NCB then I will take the policy or else I will go for 3rd party only with someother insurer.

Any suggestions ?
Should I go for 3rd party alone ?
Any better option ?
Online OR Offline renewal ?
lark63 is offline  
Old 29th October 2021, 13:32   #6642
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,209
Thanked: 523 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
Hi.
My 390 (2013 model) insurance with ICICI Lombard has expired on 21st. I tried renewal on 24th. Renewal link was not working. Lodged a complaint and nothing happened till today. Now company rep called and says the policy has expired and can not be renewed. Fresh policy is to be issued.

In that case,I asked the agent for 3rd party alone policy. The agent says 3rd party alone is not issued and it has to be comprehensive only. Any feedback on this ?

The IDV was increased to almost 150000 (from 91000 as it was in old policy). Agent says can not reduce to value to less than this and it is more beneficial to have higher value. As I know at the time of payment this value even if it is high will not be considered. It will only mean more premium for them. Correct me if I am wrong.

Told the agent to bring down the IDV to 90000 and 50% NCB then I will take the policy or else I will go for 3rd party only with someother insurer.

Any suggestions ?
Should I go for 3rd party alone ?
Any better option ?
Online OR Offline renewal ?
I feel your agent is taking you for a ride and giving you porky pies. I have moved to 3rd party on my Duke 390 for the last 2 years as the bike stands at home. You can take 3rd party alone and the rate is fixed at Rs.23XX + GST. This rate gets fixed by IRDA and is revised every year.

I would suggest just dump your agent and go online.

As regards to getting a comprehensive, given that there has been a discontinuity in the policy, a new insurer will look to inspect the vehicle before issuing comprehensive to protect themselves against any liability generated during the policy break period.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 29th October 2021 at 13:34.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:52   #6643
BHPian
 
ast.ggn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 312
Thanked: 1,432 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Can anyone confirm what is KTM's warranty policy on spare parts? I got handle bar for my 390 replaced in February and it has started rusting already. I am wondering whether it can be covered under warranty. Thanks.
ast.ggn is offline  
Old 14th November 2021, 14:06   #6644
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 811
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Can anyone confirm what is KTM's warranty policy on spare parts? I got handle bar for my 390 replaced in February and it has started rusting already. I am wondering whether it can be covered under warranty. Thanks.
As far as I know there aren't any warranty policy on spares. If defective, perhaps you can produce the original invoice for POP and can be replaced on a goodwill basis. I had a similar experience where they refused not KTM but a different brand, once billed cannot be taken back. Perhaps you can try your luck and goodwill

Cheers
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now  
Old 28th November 2021, 14:25   #6645
Senior - BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,525
Thanked: 3,403 Times
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Last minute information for anyone interested in buying a new KTM. Supposedly this scheme was on since the last six months and is ending on 30th November, 2021. It’s included with the cost of the bike and may or may not be extended beyond the end of the month. The bike has to be invoiced, that is, full payment made by 30th November for this to be applicable. Normally you can buy extended warranty only for another 2 years (2+2) by paying INR 2000 additionally.

Total 5 years extended warranty (2 standard +3 complimentary).
1 year Road Side Assistance complimentary.
Some discount on KTM arranged rides or something like that. Not sure on this one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 28th November 2021 at 14:34.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks