Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:41   #6601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The original one is still with me. It never crossed my mind.
It's very strong. Mine as you know has taken many hits. Scarred but never broken. Not even cracked. Not even a dent.
Old 24th July 2021, 17:25   #6602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It's very strong. Mine as you know has taken many hits. Scarred but never broken. Not even cracked. Not even a dent.
Agree! The stock one is better in many ways, it's flexible, gives a good air scoop-ish design helps keep the temps low and basically cheap in case of a crack. FWIW, the belly pan of the 2015 Dukes are of good quality, not yet another cheap brittle plastic that are used in aftermarket parts.

Metal has its own mertis and demerits, but if you can stick to stock unless serious dune bashing, stock serves the purpose just enough.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 02:36   #6603
BHPian

Hi everyone. I own an RC 390 (posting here because it's the most active KTM thread on T-BHP) and would like to know where I can find good quality frame sliders in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:08   #6604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Hi everyone. I own an RC 390 (posting here because it's the most active KTM thread on T-BHP) and would like to know where I can find good quality frame sliders in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance.
Not from Bangalore, but check with Souvig (LINK). I used to use his sliders and few other bits on my RC 390 and was quite happy with the quality. In comparison the Zana ones on my Versys are pedestrian!
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:01   #6605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

Thanks in advance.
I would honestly say that frame sliders are unnecessary. Unless you plan on doing stunts or keeping the bike at a track where it will constantly get dropped, frame sliders aren't necessary atleast on our desi made KTMs. I would suggest you have a look at the price list of parts like the fairing, pegs, clutch casing etc. They are all dirt cheap.

In the event of a major impact, frame sliders can also act like bullbars by directly transmitting shock to the chassis and causing even more severe repairs than just replacement of fairings etc. They can also dig in and cause the bike to rotate/ flip over. So I'd say that unless you are protecting a unique paint job, or are using it in a manner that would lead to several drops, the parts of the motorcycle that frame sliders are meant to protect are just too cheap for our bikes to justify the frame sliders.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:39   #6606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would honestly say that frame sliders are unnecessary. Unless you plan on doing stunts or keeping the bike at a track where it will constantly get dropped, frame sliders aren't necessary atleast on our desi made KTMs. I would suggest you have a look at the price list of parts like the fairing, pegs, clutch casing etc. They are all dirt cheap.

In the event of a major impact, frame sliders can also act like bullbars by directly transmitting shock to the chassis and causing even more severe repairs than just replacement of fairings etc. They can also dig in and cause the bike to rotate/ flip over. So I'd say that unless you are protecting a unique paint job, or are using it in a manner that would lead to several drops, the parts of the motorcycle that frame sliders are meant to protect are just too cheap for our bikes to justify the frame sliders.
I'm more concerned about accidental falls (stationary/low speed) to be honest.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:42   #6607
Senior - BHPian

Tyres & More

Hello Folks!

I own a Duke 390 on Nov 2013 vintage only done about 21K Kms. Out of which only 1500 Kms done in the last 5 years. I have decided to wake up the beast and start using it more regularly.
  1. I need to change my front tyres which are still running the original Metz. What would be an ideal replacement for those and any pointers towards a good shop in Mumbai would be helpful
  2. The rear is Michelin changed 4.5 years back but run only 1500Kms. The tyres don't seem to have become hard. There are no visible cracks as well. Can I use them?
  3. One of the front fork pipe has got very very small dot of rust / chrome removal. Through this the fork is leaking. Will changing the oil do or do I need to change the fork? And how much do they cost?
Even though lots of newer bikes have come in, I still feel great with this bike and intend to keep it for as long as I can. Especially when I know that wifey will not allow me to buy another bike. Ever!
Old 9th August 2021, 14:25   #6608
BANNED

Re: Tyres & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hello Folks!
In the interest of Safety and Reliability I'd change both tyres, battery and consumables without a second thought.

You could start riding and change parts along the way but it's better to start fresh as that'd give you a clear idea of upcoming replacement intervals well in advance rather than face incovnenices when on the road.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 14:49   #6609
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyres & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
In the interest of Safety and Reliability I'd change both tyres, battery and consumables without a second thought.

I'm with you on this thought. Battery was changed at the beginning of the year and the bike is going for a full service and change of consumables. I intend to change both the Clutch and the Accelerator cable as well as they too have become hard.

I was just wondering if a 4.5 year old can be tried but I guess better to be safe than sorry.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 09:36   #6610
Senior - BHPian

Folks, what are the best tyres to buy for the Duke 390 in the current scenario where OEM Metz or even the Michelin Pilot Street tyres are unavailable in the market.

Are the MRFs any good?
Old 12th August 2021, 11:19   #6611

Quote:
Folks, what are the best tyres to buy for the Duke 390 in the current scenario where OEM Metz or even the Michelin Pilot Street tyres are unavailable in the market.
Yes, imported tyres are really not available in the market still! I am using Apollo Alpha H1 for a few months now. I felt it is a really grippy tyre comparable to Metz, not so long lasting like Michelin PSR.
Old 12th August 2021, 11:27   #6612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are the MRFs any good?
My favorite tyres are the Diablo Rosso 2s since they have the steepest curvature leading to blisteringly quick turn-in and the softest carcass providing good ride quality

I read somewhere that 390s are being sold with Metzellers once again. If you are still facing issues sourcing them then I'd suggest you go for either the Apollo Alpha H1s if you're looking for an alternative to the Metz or if you are looking for an alternative to the Michelin Pilot Street tyres, I'd say go for Ceat Rad Zoom X1 they look great since the shallow curvature makes them seem like the widest tyres of the bunch and they are pretty long lasting
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:47   #6613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are the MRFs any good?
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...753775448.html

You might want to check this news out.

Here's my pick

Metz > Michelin > Apollo > MRF

Cheers!
VJ
Old 13th August 2021, 12:57   #6614
BHPian

Quote:

Are the MRFs any good?
Having used Metz, Pilot Street and Ceat Zoom Rad, my pick would be Ceat any day unless I plan to do track sessions. I can rate them as following:

Tyre Life: Michelin > Ceat > Metzeler
Cost (High to Low) : Metzeler > Michelin > Ceat
Grip (High to Low) : Metzeler > Ceat > Michelin
Puncture Resistance : Ceat > Metzler > Michelin

No experience with Apollo, Pirellis and MRF.

Hope this helps.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:24   #6615
Distinguished - BHPian

The beast exists

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-pxl_20210813_052213122.mp.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-pxl_20210813_052405721.mp.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-pxl_20210813_052431472.mp.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-pxl_20210813_055329161.mp.jpg

Do not ask me any questions.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks