Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2021, 10:54   #6616
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

The battery on my D390 gave up after 4 years, the lockdown and hibernation being the culprit for this premature failure. Got another Exide to replace the outgoing one.
The new battery, XLTZ9 cost me 1750/- INR in exchange to the old one. This has 2 years warranty with another 2 years on pro rata basis.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20210726wa0012.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:04   #6617
BHPian

Folks, need some help.

Is it worth buying a Nov '18 Duke 390 which has run only 381 kms? The guy is saying he recently got the first service done and has not ridden it at all. He says these are genuine kms. I'm yet to confirm this from the only KTM service center in Chandigarh. Asking price is 2 lakh.

EDIT: Confirmed from the service center. These are genuine kms. The bike has had two services, last one on Aug 30.

Please advice.

Last edited by cataclysm : 3rd September 2021 at 16:29.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:30   #6618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Folks, need some help.

Is it worth buying a Nov '18 Duke 390 which has run only 381 kms? The guy is saying he recently got the first service done and has not ridden it at all. He says these are genuine kms. I'm yet to confirm this from the only KTM service center in Chandigarh. Asking price is 2 lakh.

Please advice.
This has to be inspected by a reliable mechanic. All fluids and cables will need replacement.

Was it parked in covered parking? If not, give up right now. There are many things that can get shot without regular usage and 3 years is a really long time.

Tires, rubber parts, and many other things have to be inspected closely. It is a risky buy.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:54   #6619
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some help.

Is it worth buying a Nov '18 Duke 390 which has run only 381 kms?
Hey! I would agree with Mafia that it's a bit risky to pick this up. Not running an automobile regularly is the easiest way to ruin it. If a thorough inspection by a knowledgeable dude leads to a green light, then it would be worth getting it. Price could be slightly better too, although I think 2 lacs isn't completely extortionate, but like Mafia said, this will need a lot of replacement parts in all likelihood, factor that in too.
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 17:17   #6620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
This has to be inspected by a reliable mechanic. All fluids and cables will need replacement.
The bike was serviced on Aug 30. The KTM SA says nothing wrong with bike. I'm not sure if I should take his word or not. I'll check the bike tomorrow and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
If a thorough inspection by a knowledgeable dude leads to a green light, then it would be worth getting it. Price could be slightly better too, although I think 2 lacs isn't completely extortionate, but like Mafia said, this will need a lot of replacement parts in all likelihood, factor that in too.
Would you consider the KTM service center knowledgeable enough? The SA said the bike is fine but I'm not sure if I can trust him or not. If nothing else, I'm certain the tyres would need to be replaced. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 3rd September 2021, 17:51   #6621
BHPian

Quote:
Would you consider the KTM service center knowledgeable enough?
Yes, they do have the general idea. If you have a friend around who could check the bike out with you, take a test ride, that would help as well. I would've happily come over, but I'm a hundred kms away

Were you able to ride the bike? How was that experience if yes? Are all the other things in order (Seller = Owner, no loan, all documents in order etc.)?
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 18:13   #6622
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some help.

Is it worth buying a Nov '18 Duke 390 which has run only 381 kms?

Please advice.
Given this is genuine mileage, I'd definitely go for it. Punjab is not really known for its rain, so I'd not even be too much worried about covered parking. Go have a good look at the bike. Given you have asked around in the service centre already, I am sure major accidental history has already been ruled out?
A very good look at the bike should be enough to tell you its general condition.
Remember it's not easy to make a naked bike look all shiny like you can do with a car. Lots of exposed areas like frame, swingarm, (outside) condition of the engine, any oil leak streaks on the engine head/valve cover, too many rusty bolts can give you very good idea of how the bike was used and cared for. Do look at the headstock area though. A very minor frontal impact on these bikes can break the steering locks resulting in the frame getting dented due to impact from the fork.
If all visual checks are fine, a quick short ride should be enough to firm up your mind. I don't buy this too few miles argument and this is even more true for the KTMs. Unlike the Jap bikes, the KTMs don't really go smoother and more refined as they pile on the miles, quite the contrary actually I'd prefer a very low mileage KTM over a 5-10k km one .
doga is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 18:46   #6623
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they do have the general idea. If you have a friend around who could check the bike out with you, take a test ride, that would help as well. I would've happily come over, but I'm a hundred kms away

Were you able to ride the bike? How was that experience if yes? Are all the other things in order (Seller = Owner, no loan, all documents in order etc.)?
Sadly the few biker friends that I have are riding in Spiti these days. So it'll just be me, unless you would want to ride your Interceptor to Mohali

I haven't seen the bike yet. I'll be checking it out tomorrow morning. Documents are in order and insurance is valid till Jan '22

Last edited by cataclysm : 3rd September 2021 at 18:48.
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:06   #6624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Given this is genuine mileage, I'd definitely go for it.
Thanks for the advice, mate. To be honest, I was sceptical given the really low mileage. The KTM SA said the bike has had 2 services so far. The first oil change was done last week, Aug 30th. Not sure what all was changed apart from the oil.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for all the things you mentioned.
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:17   #6625
BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth buying a Nov '18 Duke 390 which has run only 381 kms? Asking price is 2 lakh.
If 381 kms is genuine reading and bike is accident free, no harm in going for it. Have a conversation with owner, bother him with a few extra questions about why bike has been used very less, look at his parking spot (covered/open) and if he doesn't sound shady, go for it.

However, the asking price is bit high in my opinion. Negotiate on price with him as the bike will be 4 year old after 2 months.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 10:14   #6626
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I checked the bike out. Visually it looks brand new. Was parked in a covered parking. The guy is selling it because he bought it on a whim and realised he dislikes biking. He rode it for less than 100 kms. His driver has been riding it on and off just for "maintenance" sake. Both of them thought this was a 2-stroke bike

What I found strange was that the check engine light (malfunction indicator lamp) was on when I took a test ride. The driver said this light was never on earlier. On the second test ride, the check engine light wasn't on. Any idea what this could be?

The tyres also looked fine. Couldn't see any cracks but would need to be replaced in a few months I think.

The final price is 2 lakh. He said it's non-negotiable. I've come back even more confused.

Last edited by cataclysm : 4th September 2021 at 10:33.
Old 4th September 2021, 11:14   #6627
BHPian

Quote:
What I found strange was that the check engine light (malfunction indicator lamp) was on when I took a test ride. The driver said this light was never on earlier. On the second test ride, the check engine light wasn't on. Any idea what this could be?
It could be a battery issue. or a random glitch, but no way of telling without checking for error codes. In my experience with the 390, sometimes the light just decides to show up, and then disappears again to never come back. It's a red flag however in my opinion, I would not be comfortable buying it without first figuring out what's causing that warning, which will involve taking it to the service center so they can connect the OBD tool and see what they see. Even though it was serviced a few days ago, I don't think they would've checked for errors if the owner didn't specifically tell them to, which I doubt he would've considering he thinks the light wasn't there before, and that it's a 2 stroke
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 13:25   #6628
BHPian

Quote:
It's a red flag however in my opinion, I would not be comfortable buying it without first figuring out what's causing that warning, which will involve taking it to the service center so they can connect the OBD tool and see what they see.

My thought as well. It could be just a glitch but it could be something huge. I don't want to risk it. I think I'll just call off the deal, also considering 2 lakh is his final offer. I'll end up spending more because the tyres need to be changed, the brakes for sure need to be bled as they are still running on 4 year old brake oil.

The guy only got the engine oil and oil filter changed in the last (first) service.
cataclysm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 22:06   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My thought as well. It could be just a glitch but it could be something huge. I don't want to risk it. I think I'll just call off the deal, also considering 2 lakh is his final offer. I'll end up spending more because the tyres need to be changed, the brakes for sure need to be bled as they are still running on 4 year old brake oil.

The guy only got the engine oil and oil filter changed in the last (first) service.
Wise decision. Considering the tires are to be replaced and what not. Usually, a general fluids flush and replacement can bring back all the systems online. One thing to note is the malfunction which can be a as simple as a disconnected connector to something sinister. A thorough diagnoses at the SVC with the tool will yield the error code registered and the associated fault. Modern bikes are boon and bane especially when it comes with a patchy service record.

Keep hunting, you'll get a better one.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 23:10   #6630
BHPian

Hey guys,

My radiator fan started acting wierd, during the lockdown the fan stopped working, after the restrictions were eased off a bit, I started taking the bike out for a spin around the area, during these spins the fan started working fine for sometime. The problem is when you shut the bike off and start it again, the fan should kick in within 3 seconds, but that does not happen in my case it either starts after a minute even if the temperature gauge is full or does not start at all. After riding the bike more regularly the fan sometimes works fine and sometimes it spins weakly on idle,or it doesn't spin continuously, it spins for 2 seconds and stops as shown in video below.

I gave the bike to the SVC to get the fan changed, they say the fan is fine and does not to be replaced, even after explaining it properly. Anyways I will be giving my bike for the ABS pump replacement to Zenngine on the 18 of this month, I will get the fan checked properly and replaced.

Last edited by Dhruv Shetty : 5th September 2021 at 23:15. Reason: Edited some lines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks