Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 22:01   #6466
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

23k was the final bill for ABS pump replacement on my 390.
Old 19th January 2020, 00:14   #6467
Senior - BHPian

Do you know of anyone who has retro fit the front fender of the new Duke onto the older Duke. Very tempted to go ahead with the white fender. The difference between the two fenders is that the newer one has lesser painted surface while the older one has more painted surface.

Pics would be great.
Old 19th January 2020, 11:00   #6468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
We seem to be the lucky few with this specific issue around the world!
Nope I too have abs pump failure on my RC390 and SVC quoted me 19k. I said I refuse to spend 19k until someone can tell me how or why this has failed service manager said he understands and that he would replace it for free or cheap whenever one of his buddys preps their bike for the track and removes all abs related equipment
Old 19th January 2020, 11:49   #6469
BHPian

I am having issues with my front forks. Seals have been leaking and I just got them replaced yesterday that too both of them and today again the right one has started leaking.
Is there a solution to this, I know if I take it back the service guys will ask me to replace the fork tubes.
Any idea what they cost?
I would like to do it tommorow itself if required atleast they will replace it FOC as it went bust in just a day. Bike is 2014 duke 390
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 11:57   #6470
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting about the abs pump failures. How often have you guys changed the brake fluid and checked the moisture content on what was already in there?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 12:35   #6471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Nope I too have abs pump failure on my RC390 and SVC quoted me 19k. I said I refuse to spend 19k until someone can tell me how or why this has failed service manager said he understands and that he would replace it for free or cheap whenever one of his buddys preps their bike for the track and removes all abs related equipment
Trying to get them to explain the failure was futile for me, especially since the bike was way out of warranty. It’s a rather expensive part but riding without ABS for a couple of weeks was enough to know that this component has us spoilt silly. My breaking is 95% front and not having ABS meant switching back over to my RX days where both breaks played equal parts(front disc). Either ways, let me know how your hunt for replacement goes. I still have my ABS pump with me in case you want to experiment a fix. Happy to help. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Interesting about the abs pump failures. How often have you guys changed the brake fluid and checked the moisture content on what was already in there?
Mine has not seen any service done outside the SVC or outside service timelines. So I am guessing whatever had to be replaced has been replaced in time. As a practice, I replace my pads (front)also every 5k kms. My bike has done 43k kms as of today and other than this rather huge part failure, I haven’t had any issues to rant about. The bike is my daily ride and I don’t think any other bike takes/loves a flogging like this one does

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I am having issues with my front forks. Seals have been leaking and I just got them replaced yesterday that too both of them and today again the right one has started leaking.
Is there a solution to this, I know if I take it back the service guys will ask me to replace the fork tubes.
Any idea what they cost?
I would like to do it tommorow itself if required atleast they will replace it FOC as it went bust in just a day. Bike is 2014 duke 390
The WP can take a lot of abuse. My ride sees bad roads to no roads every single day Monday through Friday. With all that, I have not once had seals break. However, I remember leaky seals being attributed to deep scratches or bends on my RX. Had the entire front assembly changed to a pulsar set up and never saw issues with leaky forks after that. I do have a price list for all the 390 parts somewhere. It’s from 2016 but I am sure today’s rates will be close. I will let you know.

Note from Support: Please do not post back-to-back on the same thread. Use multi-quote instead.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th January 2020 at 13:26. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Endless.... is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 13:00   #6472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have used an RC390 for 4 years now as my daily ride and it has seen its fair share of bad roads, no roads, and off roads but never had any issue with oil seals leaking. Perhaps simply standing on the pegs, and loosening your elbows over rough stuff helps reduce the stresses your forks face. I'm not sure but that has been what I always do; move on the bike

Quote:
My bike gets serviced every 3-4k Kms so I am really not sure why this has happened I do plan on removing all the abs related kit and the pump and having it checked at my trusted car guy's garage since he has experience with everything. Just haven't had the time to do it.
Old 19th January 2020, 13:26   #6473
Distinguished - BHPian

So most of you guys don’t know what’s been done on the bike. I highly suspect your respective brake fluids have never been changed. Do try and see if you can source a brake fluid tester and check the moisture level.

Now whether a high moisture brake fluid will destroy an ABS pump, is not something I can conclude. However, knowing what happens on your bike alongside good overall preventive maintenance helps a great deal to at least understand what is going on with your bikes.
Old 19th January 2020, 13:55   #6474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So most of you guys don’t know what’s been done on the bike. I highly suspect your respective brake fluids have never been changed. Do try and see if you can source a brake fluid tester and check the moisture level.
I either transfer money for the parts after receiving a list on WhatsApp or buy all the stuff myself brake fluid and coolant is changed twice a year atleast upgraded the master cylinder to 2017 version last year. Pads, filters and oil every 3k Kms, my brakes bite strong and lever feel is excellent my guy knows how to setup up the bike perfectly as well.

That said, my rotors are on their way out I doubt it, but I wonder if that could be the reason.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th January 2020 at 13:59.
Old 19th January 2020, 14:15   #6475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I either transfer money for the parts after receiving a list on WhatsApp or buy all the stuff myself brake fluid and coolant is changed twice a year atleast upgraded the master cylinder to 2017 version last year. Pads, filters and oil every 3k Kms, my brakes bite strong and lever feel is excellent my guy knows how to setup up the bike perfectly as well.

That said, my rotors are on their way out I doubt it, but I wonder if that could be the reason.
Rotors can’t be it. Maybe you are just unlucky with a part failure. Is there some warning sign on the dash?

Some reading.

The main cause of these issues is the valve seats and pintles can become stuck or not seat properly due to debris, corrosion or contaminated brake fluid.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ator-problems/
Old 19th January 2020, 21:52   #6476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what they cost?
From what I can fathom, either your inner tube/silver tube is bent or the stanchion i.e. the black part aka outer tube assembly that the inner tube slides into has its sealing points nicked/scratched due to repeated uninstall and installation of the fork seals, that's one high high probability.

Secondly, all the fork seals are mounted on the black tube/stanchion aka outer tube assembly of each fork, so that shouldn't be costly and cost in the 2 to 3k range approx.

Thirdly, make sure your dust boot is intact. A faulty dust boot can and will cause leaks, as they're the first line of defense for the fork seals and preventing dust ingestion and the subsequent fork seal failure.

Hope it helps!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 07:25   #6477
BHPian

Hey guys ,I have an Aug 2014 390 , used it hard for 2 years clocked 40 ,000 Kms ,for the last few years not riding much .
It had performed flawlessly ,just the tyre and chain replacing and the services .
My Speedo console mode and set buttons seemed to have disintegrated ,will I be able to replace just the Speedo cover or the full set ?
Old 20th January 2020, 11:35   #6478
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hey guys ,I have an Aug 2014 390 , used it hard for 2 years clocked 40 ,000 Kms ,for the last few years not riding much .
It had performed flawlessly ,just the tyre and chain replacing and the services .
My Speedo console mode and set buttons seemed to have disintegrated ,will I be able to replace just the Speedo cover or the full set ?
Reach out to these guys, they sell KTM and Bajaj parts for less than MRP, asking price for the cover is Rs.800/-

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-78785791_2623838094328508_561407729449566208_o.jpg

P.S. I have no personal connection with these guys, but I know fellow enthusiasts who've purchased parts from them and they all have only good things to say, hence sharing.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th January 2020 at 11:38.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 23:17   #6479
BHPian

The BS6 update of Duke 390 is being blessed with a Quick-Shifter, identical to it's ADV sibling.

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...tandard-415701

With an anticipated price hike of Rs.10,000/-
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:13   #6480
Senior - BHPian

Idle question: I have a 390 from the first batch. I like the digital speedo panel of the current machine.

Is it possible it install the current panel instead of the old Pentagon? I understand that the new panel controls a lot of the other electronics. But I don't need all that. Just the greater visibility & the BT connectivity (not really important).

Would wiring & sensors also need to be changed, if it is possible?

Has anyone done this?

Most Viewed