Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2023, 18:29   #6781

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
One of the most astute and heart out 9-year soliloquy by the venerable Shumi.

There's a point in the video, where he'd even compare this to his Multistrada.

Right from the horse's mouth.

Worth the watch!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=8DmoAOguGbI

Cheers!
VJ
Lovely.
Incidentally I own a 2015 Duke 390. It is a lovely bike.
It has been my commute vehicle until Covid made us work from home.
Now I am thinking for selling it and upgrade to different bike.
Will I make a mistake if I sell it? Is it a long term keeper? I think this one will have a cult following 10 yrs from now.
Old 21st April 2023, 19:55   #6782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamleshp View Post
Lovely.
Will I make a mistake if I sell it? Is it a long term keeper? I think this one will have a cult following 10 yrs from now.
Hi, i had a 2015 D390 as well. Sold it in 2019 to make space in the garage for a Continental GT650. To this date, I regret selling the bike. It might need an engine rebuild sooner or later, but it surely is a lovely bike.

Also its harder than ever to get a clean example in the used market which is decently priced.
duker2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 21:40   #6783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamleshp View Post
Lovely.
It has been my commute vehicle until Covid made us work from home.
Now I am thinking for selling it and upgrade to different bike.
It already has a cult following of its own and when compared to the 2017+ models, they demand a niche above their current gen counterparts. If your circumstance can warrant you to hoard it, then by all means I would recommend the same. If not, perhaps if you're getting a good enough price, then do know that you will regret it, no two ways about it, but if you're getting a good price then why not. But only a soliloquy would help better sense to prevail. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Hi, i had a 2015 D390 as well. Sold it in 2019 to make space in the garage for a Continental GT650. To this date, I regret selling the bike. It might need an engine rebuild sooner or later, but it surely is a lovely bike.

Also its harder than ever to get a clean example in the used market which is decently priced.
Indeed. Pound for pound it is, was and will forever be a great motorcycle for the pricing, and what it had to offer. The memories of the bike stings even more after a sale deed.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 22:13   #6784
BHPian

Quote:
It already has a cult following of its own and when compared to the 2017+ models, they demand a niche above their current gen counterparts. If your circumstance can warrant you to hoard it, then by all means I would recommend the same.
Yes. I was planning to sell this and upgrade to a bigger bike. Now I may ditch that plan and sell my pulsar 250 instead when I upgrade and keep this as my city/daily bikeFelt like this would be a much better option after I had a few sessions on the racetrack with my 390.Can't get more bang for the buck. I crashed it and the parts are dirt cheap in comparison.So doesn't have to worry about crashing too.����

Last edited by Thamps : 21st April 2023 at 22:18.
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 22:03   #6785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not.The.BetiB View Post
Greetings brother,
I have the same issues. Tried connecting with the aforementioned Bluetooth app and the controls showed up again but the contacts show up as something similar to 'Ã'. I have tried several permutations and combinations to resolve it but no avail.
Have you managed to find out a workaround?
Regards,
Aradhya.
Sorry buddy. I am having the same issue. It doesnt show the name but shows random characters. If i am on a short city ride, i have no choice but to pick up each incoming call due to the faulty caller ID

On long rides however, i have my phone mounted so i can look at directions. That helps me to view the name and accept / reject the call as needed.
Old 8th May 2023, 18:54   #6786
BHPian

Took the delivery of Duke 390 yesterday and it's already leaking oil. Took it to the ASC. They assured that it won't happen again but here I am

Did any other members face similar issues. If yes please give me a solution. I hope my ownership with this beast doesnt turn bitter
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230508_173820.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230508_173839.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230508_174134.jpg  

SLK_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 20:21   #6787
Senior - BHPian

SLK, welcome to the boards.. and in style. They say KTMs mark their territory and hence they leak oil. Perhaps your new motorcycle has taken too much of a liking to your ambiance.

Jokes apart. Oil leak in a KTM is the last thing you'd want. Being a temperamental a motor that is, an oil leak will eventually lead to seizure. Oil weeps are manageable, but oil leaks definitely aren't, as in your case, where it's actually left an impression on the ground.

I'd love to hear what the SVC had to say about this, where exactly the leak emanated from? It's a hard leak, and it seems to be seeping out of the cylinder gasket(s), either the below one or the middle one, which in either case, would mean half engine strip down. If it's the valve cover gasket, and the associated O rings, you're probably saved.

Good luck to you and your beast. Sincerely request you to record your observations here.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 20:46   #6788
BHPian

Quote:
SLK, welcome to the boards.. and in style. They say KTMs mark their territory and hence they leak oil. Perhaps your new motorcycle has taken too much of a liking to your ambiance.

Jokes apart. Oil leak in a KTM is the last thing you'd want. Being a temperamental a motor that is, an oil leak will eventually lead to seizure. Oil weeps are manageable, but oil leaks definitely aren't, as in your case, where it's actually left an impression on the ground.

I'd love to hear what the SVC had to say about this, where exactly the leak emanated from? It's a hard leak, and it seems to be seeping out of the cylinder gasket(s), either the below one or the middle one, which in either case, would mean half engine strip down. If it's the valve cover gasket, and the associated O rings, you're probably saved.

Good luck to you and your beast. Sincerely request you to record your observations here.

Cheers!
VJ
The SVC told they will repair it completely and give us a conclusion tomorrow. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 11th May 2023, 21:43   #6789
BHPian

Dear folks - help me solve a doubt for my cousin who wants to get a 390 2018 model as 4th owner. He says and I quote verbatim - he took the vehicle to 2 KTM service centers and the service history looks neat, last service done in Dec 2022, and no accidents logged in. The ECU is not tampered. Paint, body, riding comfort - top, but only 8k kms on the bike in 5 years. First owner sold as he upgraded to a different bike. Second owner sold and moving out out country - third owner is a reseller who will transfer the bike to him if bought. The asking price is 2.35L.

Is it too good to be true to find such a low run bike in first place? If low run, what could be the downside and is the asking price right? If he absolutely wants to pursue, what should be the right payout?

I've asked him to check the insurance history from previous years if available. What else would need to be checked?
Old 12th May 2023, 11:20   #6790
BHPian

Just a question, I am contemplating between stock cone set bearings or all balls bearings. Wondering if any difference will be there?
Old 12th May 2023, 12:08   #6791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Just a question, I am contemplating between stock cone set bearings or all balls bearings. Wondering if any difference will be there?
Assuming you mean tapered bearing from All Balls Racing, they are worth it. Installed properly, tapered bearing lasts longer and works smoother than normal ball bearings.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 08:29   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK_2005 View Post
Took the delivery of Duke 390 yesterday and it's already leaking oil. Took it to the ASC. They assured that it won't happen again but here I am
I gave it to the SVC on 9/5/23 and he returned the vehicle on 11/5/23. Turns out the culprit was an O-Ring leaking. Now the issue is completely resolved and the bike truly stands up to it's slogan "READY TO RACE"

Regards,
SLK

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th May 2023 at 08:39. Reason: Quote content trimmed
SLK_2005 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 11:44   #6793

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.helios View Post
Dear folks - help me solve a doubt for my cousin who wants to get a 390 2018 model as 4th owner.
=====
I've asked him to check the insurance history from previous years if available. What else would need to be checked?
For the mechanical aspect of it, please take it to a known FNG for their opinion on it. You already have the KTM ASC view on it and the FNG's view would act as a verification of the former. As for the no. of owners thing, it's alright as long as the mechanical condition is fine. It's now unknown for some Duke owners to clock low mileage as the bike is not a commuter per se. The previous/first owner of my Duke had done barely 10k in 3 years and this was before the pandemic.

As for the price, 2.35 lakh is way too high. This is where the 4th owner thing comes into the picture, apart from the bike's 2018 MY ofc. I'd put the price at 1.5 lakh. Rs 1.7-1.8 lakh if you're feeling generous and the bike is really good. A more accurate figure can be arrived at if you can confirm the bike's mechanical and parts integrity. For instance, how much life do the tyres have got.
arjpillai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 15:59   #6794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK_2005 View Post
I gave it to the SVC on 9/5/23 and he returned the vehicle on 11/5/23. Turns out the culprit was an O-Ring leaking. Now the issue is completely resolved and the bike truly stands up to it's slogan "READY TO RACE"

Regards,
SLK
Excellent! So, it was indeed the O-ring as I predicted. Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
All balls have a tapered bearing setup if I reckon which is any day better than caged ball setup. If you can get a hold of AB, go for it. Do share the details and install if you go for it.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 00:03   #6795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjpillai View Post

As for the price, 2.35 lakh is way too high. This is where the 4th owner thing comes into the picture, apart from the bike's 2018 MY ofc. I'd put the price at 1.5 lakh. Rs 1.7-1.8 lakh if you're feeling generous and the bike is really good. A more accurate figure can be arrived at if you can confirm the bike's mechanical and parts integrity. For instance, how much life do the tyres have got.
Have said the same to him. Looks like he's still gonna bite. Thanks much for the inputs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks