Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 23:50   #6871
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hey Dhruv!

Love seeing the photos of your well kept beauty. I will definitely make it to the meet. Let me check for the thread. Thanks for alerting me to the fact that one is coming up.

I think the fork protectors from Gen 2 were put on my bike the last time one of the legs spring a catastrophic leak and dumped all the oil on to the garage floor overnight. But good point. Its a cheap add on so I'll definitely check.

The grips are a good idea too coz I always ride with gloves coz our original Gen 1 grips are so thin and hard and poky.

Cheers, Doc
The rear shock i recently got changed and chose to put the 2017 390 shock, that is the general design of it, i tried sourcing the shock protector, but unable to source it. I have put up a detailed thread about my bike related to all the repairs and stuff.

The ADV mirrors shape is identical to our bikes.

There isn't joint or extension in the middle of the stalks, must be the picture.

Cheers,

Dhruv Shetty

Last edited by Dhruv Shetty : 22nd October 2023 at 23:52.
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 00:11   #6872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
The rear shock i recently got changed and chose to put the 2017 390 shock, that is the general design of it, i tried sourcing the shock protector, but unable to source it. I have put up a detailed thread about my bike related to all the repairs and stuff.

The ADV mirrors shape is identical to our bikes.

There isn't joint or extension in the middle of the stalks, must be the picture.

Cheers,

Dhruv Shetty
Could you please share the link of the thread. Any solution to my MID mileage readout issue mentioned above?!

Will check out the ADV mirrors and 250 grips for sure. Please keep mentioning aby other small bits n bobs to improve our first gens. Maybe a better bulb for the headlight?

Cheers, Doc

P.S. The horn is working fine after the long ride. As Sheri said, just ride the bike. It needs to be ridden. Everything will fall in place one by one.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 02:57   #6873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
For all the riders with Gen 1 (and maybe Gen2?) Duke 390, consider changing the sprocket set to the one from D250. The ratio changes from 15-45 (D390) to 14-46 (D250). On paper this is just about 10% increase in torque but the bike feels much more smoother lower down in the range and also accelerates faster.

I have had this setup for more than 3K km now and super happy with it
This setup is very good for city riding, but definitely wrings the throat of the bike on highways post 7k rpm. The motor revs quicker allowing one to jet faster, but it in turn restricts the engine revvability when stretched. The other added advantage to 250 sprocket, especially changing it to 14T front is that, frequent gear changes which the Duke usually warrants with its snatchy throttle response (esp old gens) are solved to an extent. The front sprocket replacement is a cheap and reliable mod for those who want an even sprightlier machine.

Quote:
P.S. Both fork legs are showing a very thin weep line of oil and road dust.
A weep will aggravate slowly to a leak if left unnoticed and gradually compromise to decayed brake-ability. There are newer fork seals available for the Duke 390, orange colored ones as opposed to black, which are expensive compared to the old black seals but are better and more risk averse. Give it a try.

Quote:

Will check out the ADV mirrors and 250 grips for sure. Please keep mentioning aby other small bits n bobs to improve our first gens. Maybe a better bulb for the headlight?

Btw, speaking of MID, even mine was showing the fuel average in Kmpl. Suddenly on the rode I noticed its begun to show the Average speed in kmph. I thought it would be a toggle display, switching between both. But its stuck on kmph. How do I get it back to and keep it at kmpl??!
Your best bet on improving the headlight would be to use a good quality, H4 LED bulb, the throw will be 10x better than the stock. The Duke's reflector is very precisely designed, a good bulb with high lumen output would make it very good, coupled with aux light (which I've answered in your previous post) should relieve you off the sleepless nights. Regarding the mirrors, the newer gens came with wider and taller stalk compared to the old Duke's short and stubby ones though the mirror design and width stayed the same. This means the mirrors are now higher and slightly past the shoulder so that the mirror isn't covered by shoulder. They're a direct plug and play from the newer ones and require no modifications whatsoever, or extenders. Many swap it to the newer ones as it's OE and helps marginally.

Lastly, the MID, not sure I can fathom sure what you're inferring. Can you post a picture of your display and circle out what is the dilemma you're facing? Mode is the button that allows you to toggle between ODO, TRIP 1 TRIP 2. Set is the button that allows you to toggle between real time FE, Km/L, L/100 km, DTE, Average, vehicle run time, it's a full on mini computer.

Good luck doc.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 23rd October 2023 at 03:00.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 10:19   #6874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Lastly, the MID, not sure I can fathom sure what you're inferring. Can you post a picture of your display and circle out what is the dilemma you're facing? Mode is the button that allows you to toggle between ODO, TRIP 1 TRIP 2. Set is the button that allows you to toggle between real time FE, Km/L, L/100 km, DTE, Average, vehicle run time, it's a full on mini computer.

Good luck doc.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks Vijay. This is what I was looking for! I was keeping on pressing the Mode button, and as you said it was toggling through the ODO, TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 again and again.

So I'm assuming that Trip 1 is for a big multi day tour and the Trip 2 is for each individual day's ride. Or something similar. But how do we reset the number to 0 at the end? Press Mode and Set together for 5 seconds?

What is DTE? So Set is to toggle through these options one by one, and once you are on a option, say Average (km/h) and don't press Set again, the real time display in the center of the screen will remain on Average (km/h) indefinitely?

Thanks for clearing this out! I went and downloaded the 2013 KTM Duke 390 Manual of 183 pages from the net anyways just in case.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I'm not a great fan of those tall boy mirror stalks from the photos. Ok for an Adventure. But not for a manic street naked. Will stick to my original mirrors and black electrical tape the cut in the rubber boot.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd October 2023 at 10:35.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:03   #6875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vijay. This is what I was looking for! I was keeping on pressing the Mode button, and as you said it was toggling through the ODO, TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 again and again.

So I'm assuming that Trip 1 is for a big multi day tour and the Trip 2 is for each individual day's ride. Or something similar. But how do we reset the number to 0 at the end? Press Mode and Set together for 5 seconds?

What is DTE? So Set is to toggle through these options one by one, and once you are on a option, say Average (km/h) and don't press Set again, the real time display in the center of the screen will remain on Average (km/h) indefinitely?

Thanks for clearing this out! I went and downloaded the 2013 KTM Duke 390 Manual of 183 pages from the net anyways just in case.
I was about to recommend you to download the manual, good that you did. It should be plenty help for you, peruse at your own time and you'll get to know the nitties. DTE is simply Distance to Empty and yes whatever mode is selected from SET will be SET indefinitely during the ride. Once switched off and on the ignition it will revert to the preset runtime/average speed.

Fun Tip: You can swap the odo/speed reading to MPH (miles per hour) from KMPH and vice versa by pressing and holding the MODE button 10 seconds which is a cool feature. Try it out..

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:37   #6876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Fun Tip: You can swap the odo/speed reading to MPH (miles per hour) from KMPH and vice versa by pressing and holding the MODE button 10 seconds which is a cool feature. Try it out..

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks! As I vaguely recall, once the bike come to reserve, 2 liters (how much usable?), the Low Fuel Warning comes on.

Alongside, doesn't DTE come on by default?

Also by default, doesnt one of the Trips get reset and starts off from 0, to show how many km you have done since rhe bike came in reserve?

One additional point. How do you set the rpm shift light? And what rpm do most of you set it to? I think i used to have it at 7 or 8,000 rpm. But I'm not sure. I think it starts blinking at the set rpm and then glows constantly 500 rpm past that point?

Cheers, Doc
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:16   #6877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! As I vaguely recall, once the bike come to reserve, 2 liters (how much usable?), the Low Fuel Warning comes on.

Alongside, doesn't DTE come on by default?

Also by default, doesnt one of the Trips get reset and starts off from 0, to show how many km you have done since rhe bike came in reserve?

One additional point. How do you set the rpm shift light? And what rpm do most of you set it to? I think i used to have it at 7 or 8,000 rpm. But I'm not sure. I think it starts blinking at the set rpm and then glows constantly 500 rpm past that point?

Cheers, Doc
Doc, everything about this query is crispy mentioned in the manual. Would strongly recommend you to go through the pages. When in low fuel, the trip would switch to F mode which and indicates the kms driven in that mode. With 11 liter fuel tank the reserve is 1.5 litres, which means 9.5 usable. In you're gentle on the wrist, in Trip F you can easily extract 35 kms.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:42   #6878
BHPian

Quote:
The side stand bracket bolts were also torqued. The left mirror was folding in at speed with the windblast and vibrations and I had to keep readjusting it on the ride. The screws of it were even tightened to firm it up in its ser position. The right ones stalk was a tad too in, and was not giving me a clear view if the back, with my jacket covering most if the glass. That too was reset.
Old Apache RTR 160/180 mirrors are a direct fit and works way better than stock KTM mirrors. They are built better so they don't vibrate as much and provides a wider view. Swap stock rubber boots for the OE look. Ran this setup till I sold the bike last year.

Last edited by b16h22 : 23rd October 2023 at 12:44.
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 21:36   #6879
Senior - BHPian

Loving how many Dukers and otherwise are reaching out in private and becoming buddies on WhatsApp.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 16:59   #6880
Senior - BHPian

So I think Gen 1 fuel tanks take in 10.5 liters to the brim. And the MID fuel display has 9 bars. 7 in mains, and 2 in reserve, after the Low Fuel warning.

So each bar is 1 liter? And unusable fuel in tank is 1.5 liters?

Cheers, Doc
Old 26th October 2023, 14:57   #6881
Senior - BHPian

The pillion seat clasp at the back, where it locks, has developed a bit of a play, such that it rocks a bit when you move it by hand. I'm pretty sure the rock play is more than what I remember from before. Is there anything that can be done about it? Is it risky ... i.e. any chance of the clasp simply giving way and jettisoning the pillion?! lol

Speaking of pillions, I'm looking for a pillion compatible luggage solution, and came upon this rack (very difficult finding stuff for the Gen 1 Dukes now ... Mostly its for 2017 and beyond Dukes, which will not fit our bikes) -

https://amzn.eu/d/95SHmQZ

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026145901047_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026145928364_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026145922416_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026145935717_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026145940710_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

This shape is pretty standard, many racks on Amazon, just different brand names, but this is the only one that offers underbody support additionally, so that instead of the rack being supported at 2 points (2 bolts each side), replacing the standard grab rails, its now got 4 point support, so I'm guessing better rigidity and weight capacity.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 26th October 2023 at 15:09.
Old 26th October 2023, 18:33   #6882
Senior - BHPian

AOW Bikes seems to be a Bangalore based company. It makes the other top bag tail rack that comes without the additional lower support. Need to speak to them and hear what they have to say about the load capacity for this design. Seems to be MS and not aluminium.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026180204275_com.flipkart.android.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026180211425_com.flipkart.android.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026180456768_com.flipkart.android.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026180547148_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Also saw these nice looking tank grip pads in orange and black. While the orange is no doubt attractive, I think it would be just a bit too much orange on a bike that's already an honorary citizen of Nagpur, so maybe the black one with the KTM logo in orange would be more the way to go.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026182356725_com.flipkart.android.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026182037205_com.flipkart.android.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20231026182404440_com.flipkart.android.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 00:34   #6883
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful video. A collector's item for all old Duke 390 guys!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 21:31   #6884
BHPian

I had a small query while evaluating a used 390. The said bike is one year old, with only 3.5k km on the clock. Parked in a shaded garage and the general condition seems well.

One thing that I noticed was that on a cold engine, when the bike was straightened out, the oil level on the window was not visible. It had to tilted slightly towards the window side for the oil to show up. Should the oil level be checked on a cold engine or once it is warmed up? Did not see any warning on the TFT after riding it around for a good bit.

Also at what rpm does the 390 idle at? And is it a stable idle or does it fluctuate a bit?

I'm guessing this is a normal behaviour from what I've read, but is the engine a little muted/hesitant below 5.5k rpm and then pours in with a rush of torque? Is this normal for a gen 2 2022 Duke?

How easy is it to get the service history from the service centre? Are they reluctant to share it with 3rd party?
Old 31st October 2023, 23:07   #6885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I had a small query while evaluating a used 390. The said bike is one year old, with only 3.5k km on the clock. Parked in a shaded garage and the general condition seems well.

One thing that I noticed was that on a cold engine, when the bike was straightened out, the oil level on the window was not visible. It had to tilted slightly towards the window side for the oil to show up. Should the oil level be checked on a cold engine or once it is warmed up? Did not see any warning on the TFT after riding it around for a good bit.

Also at what rpm does the 390 idle at? And is it a stable idle or does it fluctuate a bit?

I'm guessing this is a normal behaviour from what I've read, but is the engine a little muted/hesitant below 5.5k rpm and then pours in with a rush of torque? Is this normal for a gen 2 2022 Duke?

How easy is it to get the service history from the service centre? Are they reluctant to share it with 3rd party?
In their chronological order:

1. If you could perhaps let us know the MY bike you're looking into, it would be even more helpful.

2. Engine oil level should always be checked on a lukewarm engine, this way oil is fluidic and helps analyze the oil level on the sight glass/dipstick correctly. Checking on a cold engine would mostly result is incorrect readings unless the bike is parked overnight, which means the oil would have all returned to the sump which would yield a correct reading. But for instantaneous correct reading a mildly warmed up engine, and waiting for 5 mins will yield correct oil level.

3. 1550 to 1650 RPM for a warmed up engine.

4. The newer gen bikes are accustomed to this. They feel damp-squib till around 5k, post that, just like a shot of adrenaline pumping up the veins, the torque surge is like a kick to a horse butt trundling it with urgency like no other. So yes, it's a characteristic of this bike. On ADV 390s it's even more pronounced.

5. You can perhaps get some insights from the given service center manager, if they are kind enough to show it from their computer screens or a print out. I would suggest, they would oblige at least if you want to look into the screen and take a photograph of the last maintenance record, that should help clear the doubt.

Good luck!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks