Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2023, 16:57   #6901
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi Doc!

It was a pleasure riding with you today
The weather has been perfect for these kind of rides.

Good to see you back on the saddle

Hope the Fuel pump issue gets sorted out real soon. Keep us posted.

See you on the next ride!
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231105_075326418.jpg  

Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 17:10   #6902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Doc!

It was a pleasure riding with you today
The weather has been perfect for these kind of rides.

Good to see you back on the saddle

Hope the Fuel pump issue gets sorted out real soon. Keep us posted.

See you on the next ride!
Cheers.
Thanks for pulling me in with you boys Satyen. I super enjoyed the fast paced ride. Near 200 km round trip and we were back by 10 ... perfect. Would have loved pulling harder on the way back as I was nicely in rhythm by then. But it is what it is. Now old man Sagar needs to be pulled in next. He's hopping excited seeing me off my cycle. Lol

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20231105wa0012.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20231105wa0014.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20231105wa0011.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 00:37   #6903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks Doga.

Then I got injured, with a 6 month recuperation. Then more long distance cycling. Then I met a group of faster cyclists and started training with them. Started racing. Found I was even better at that and liked it even more than long distance cycling. Got into formal Master's racing. Won Maharashtra state. Got to race at the Nationals. Won the Nationals. Then won State again.

And want to run my first Half Marathon at the Tata Mumbai Marathon in January next year.

Cheers, Doc
Wow doc wow. Respect! I mean I have seen a few docs giving diet change and exercise suggestions with their paunch fully in display but you are certainly not one of them I tell you If I could do even 10% of what you achieved, it'd be a massive boost to my health and self respect! Wishing you lot many happy miles with the duke.
doga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 09:49   #6904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Wow doc wow. Respect! I mean I have seen a few docs giving diet change and exercise suggestions with their paunch fully in display but you are certainly not one of them I tell you If I could do even 10% of what you achieved, it'd be a massive boost to my health and self respect! Wishing you lot many happy miles with the duke.
Thanks Doga ji. To be fair though there actually are a lot of docs into motorcycles, cycling (especially ultra cycling), running, and triathlons, iron mans. Even racing.

Unlike our bikes, we have just one body to take through to the end. And availability of spares is a serious issue.

Cheers, Doc
Old 6th November 2023, 20:26   #6905
BHPian

It's been more than a year since I resprayed the frame. I am redoing it, because of some petrol spillage from the pump attendants, happened and I had botched up the left side of the frame with uneven finish, the right side came out better but had some imperfections in it and recently this year before the rains, it had gone for a detailed wash near my place they had used some chemicals, after that the paint started to form cracks and peeling off. This time I'll be more patient while doing it.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231106_134811.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231106_143842.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231106_140552.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231106_134021.jpg

Forgive the wierd colors in the pics, the OnePlus 9R has a bad habit of ruining some colours.

I will keep you folks updated.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 21:10   #6906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
It's been more than a year since I resprayed the frame. I am redoing it, because of some petrol spillage from the pump attendants, happened and I had botched up the left side of the frame with uneven finish, the right side came out better but had some imperfections in it and recently this year before the rains, it had gone for a detailed wash near my place they had used some chemicals, after that the paint started to form cracks and peeling off. This time I'll be more patient while doing it.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty
Love your commitment Dhruv!

Meowwww

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 15:56   #6907
Senior - BHPian

Resurrection update!

Filled the Power pouch at Nehru Memorial pump. In a tank (7L). Went looking for Iftex. Did not get it at 3 pumps in camp or an oil shop at Dastur Meher Road. The shop recommended strongly the Magsol. Same price (10 bucks a pouch). Got a handful of them. Other options to Iftex being recommended are Liqui Moly, Wurth, Yamalube, and the IOC Adon-P.

The idea is to ride my bike with higher fuel levels and these additives added to completely immerse the fuel pump so that it does not overheat and give the intermittent fuel starvation symptoms on longer high speed runs when the fuel level in the petrol tank falls, leaving part of the pump and motor exposed.

Hopefully, my mech Sheri as well as the SVC (who only replace and do not repair, as company policy) believe that regular running in this manner should flush and clean out the internals of the resurrected once seized motor internals completely, and free it up so that it does not start overheating and jamming up when the level of petrol falls.

They've advised to observe at around how many bars these symptoms appear (at reserve on the Lonavala run, and at around 3 bars left in mains on the Tamhini run, that was solo saddle but much harder and faster in terms of lower gears and higher revs) and try to refill and top up the fuel levels always before reaching that, for the next month.

Lets see. Worth a shot. I've anyways spent on getting this pump repaired. Buying a new pump immediately will be a double expense. So might as well see for a bit, if this one with use as recommended, and the additives, does free up.

Of the 3 tests recommended by KTM, 2 have been done. On removing the pipe of the return valve, with the ignition off, there is no fuel leakage. Check.

On priming the pump 3 times with the ignition switch, the amount of fuel flow caught in a measuring flask was 150 mL. Whereas a properly functional pump should flow 180 mL apparently. So low.

Fuel pressure gauge readings are to be taken, at the SVC, but will hold off on that for now and run the bike more as advised.

Oil and coolant levels both are topped up and on the H mark respectively.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231108_113614.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231108_113622.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231108_122518.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231108_122608.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20231108wa0026.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20231108wa0011.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231021_070034.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231108_121436.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231108_121413.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 20:17   #6908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Dhruv, hand-painted contraptions really only work to an extent. Ask my why and how. Eventually the over-coat peels of exposing the inner coat adding insult to the injury. Also either due to relative drying up or pressure wash over time, they start flaking and it's not a good sight to behold. Repeated usage of harsh detergents i.e. dishwash soap, fabric detergent will only worsen even if you add your personal touch over and again, and eventually it'll be back to square one.

My sincere advice, remove the entire chassis, get it sandblasted, get it primered up and get it pained to the exact color you've painted above, a good quality clear coat done and then the bike would stand out with its veins popping like no other.

Good luck on that.

Quote:
Resurrection update!

Filled the Power pouch at Nehru Memorial pump. In a tank (7L). Went looking for Iftex. Did not get it at 3 pumps in camp or an oil shop at Dastur Meher Road. The shop recommended strongly the Magsol. Same price (10 bucks a pouch). Got a handful of them. Other options to Iftex being recommended are Liqui Moly, Wurth, Yamalube, and the IOC Adon-P.

The idea is to ride my bike with higher fuel levels and these additives added to completely immerse the fuel pump so that it does not overheat and give the intermittent fuel starvation symptoms on longer high speed runs when the fuel level in the petrol tank falls, leaving part of the pump and motor exposed.

Hopefully, my mech Sheri as well as the SVC
Doc, these cleaners work in a different way. Most folks get it wrong. Most assume adding a fuel system cleaner to the fuel system will clean the system. Well, 10% yes, 90% of the time no. The system and pump will stay the same as it is. Remember petrol itself is a better cleaning solvent in and of itself. These won't save your pump if your pump is losing pressure. Mark my word on that.

Now, how they are designed to work with is with petrol and the additive in the combustion chamber when they "BURN" and not "simply filled" in the tank. These additives behave as a catalyst with the fuel and help remove the intake gunk along with the fast flowing air, effectively removing carbon deposits over the piston and the flow pathway.

Doc, as an anecdote. Just like a failing bulb flickering, cleaning the outside of the bulb thinking it will make it look shiny and bright won't make it last long. The death is eventual. My humble advice, before you get stranded in the middle of nowhere, benediction doesn't strike twice. Strongly recommend you replace your fuel pump and then use all these additives.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 21:39   #6909
Senior - BHPian

Playing around with rider sag settings.

Front suspension -

L1 (fully extended) = 150 mm

L2 (rider seated) = 110 mm

Front Rider Sag = 40 mm

Rear suspension -

L1 (fully extended) = 650 mm

L2 (rider seated)

Notch 7/10 = 580 mm

Notch 8/10 = 585 mm

Rear Rider Sag = 65 (8) to 70 (7) mm

Any 90 kilo riders with 2013 Duke 390s still on the original stock rear suspension?

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I'm beginning to see my old Bullet racing buddy Imran's point now. He's built like me, maybe 5 odd kilos here or there (meaning less or more depending on where we are in our fitness cycles ... he's a cyclist too).

He's a crazy mad rider and winner of many KTM track days and races at Buddh. And he says that the suspension turned all the way up to 10 at the back worked best for him.

The readings above show why.

The company manual recommended rear rider sag is 50-55 mm. In line with the 30% of full suspension travel ballpark rule of thumb - for street (25% or closer to 40 mm for track ... like the front sag currently).

No way am I reaching there before 10/10. Assuming a Rider Sag reduction @ the same rate - i.e. 5 mm for each notch.

But that's for solo rider, no luggage. Add a pillion and luggage and the current spring rate will simply not be adequate.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2023 at 22:02.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 22:36   #6910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Playing around with rider sag settings.

Any 90 kilo riders with 2013 Duke 390s still on the original stock rear suspension?

Cheers, Doc
Forgot to mention -

Rider + Gear = 96 kilos (212 pounds)

Which makes my buddy mentioned above about 10 kilos lighter.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2023 at 23:01.
Old 15th November 2023, 18:51   #6911
Senior - BHPian

Post unseasonal showers wash and then a visit to the Agyari.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231115_1249092.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231115_1249202.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231115_141628.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231115_141646.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th November 2023 at 19:12.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 10:33   #6912
BHPian

Guys I am planning to get valve clearance check done on my 2019 390 duke. Can anyone recommend a good workshop in Bangalore. Heard Indimotard is good any feedback on this?

Thanks.
Old 16th November 2023, 11:13   #6913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Dhruv, hand-painted contraptions really only work to an extent. Ask my why and how. Eventually the over-coat peels of exposing the inner coat adding insult to the injury. Also either due to relative drying up or pressure wash over time, they start flaking and it's

My sincere advice, remove the entire chassis, get it sandblasted, get it primered up and get it pained to the exact color you've painted above, a good quality clear coat done and then the bike would stand out with its veins popping like no other.

Good luck on that.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Thank you VJ for the feedback. I do intend to get the frame completely redone professionally once the bike hits the 13th or 14th year, plus it is going to be expensive job. Right now the major priority is the mechanical and electrical parts.

Coming to the pressure wash and all, I don't give my bike for any diesel wash and I don't let anybody touch the bike for washing , Im the only one who has the right to wash her, gets washed once a month, hand washed with delicate hand pressure, microfiber cloths and nice cleaning products.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty.
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 11:18   #6914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
Guys I am planning to get valve clearance check done on my 2019 390 duke. Can anyone recommend a good workshop in Bangalore. Heard Indimotard is good any feedback on this?

Thanks.
You can give it to a good KTM SVC especially BTM Layout, I've had good experience with them personally.. Other options include AoM Art of Motorcycles and Big Bear Customs.which do a good job

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 11:30   #6915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post

Thanks.
Is the check because of any symptoms developing or is it something recommended after x kms of running?

If not required, and everything is working fine, I would hate someone touching my engine ... even if just the head cover.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks