Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 21:28   #6076
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
I have completed 9,000 hard kilometers on my 390 with a not-so-regular chain maintenance. My service guy told me that I will need to replace my chain-sprocket after maybe another 1,000kms!
Is 10,000kms life routine for the chain-sprocket?
And how do I take better care of the chain from hereon?
Rohitj92 is absolutely correct.

If a rear chain is properly lubricated and kept clean, it should last for at least 15,000 km.
The sprockets should be good for over 30,000 km.

I think the rear chain is probably the most neglected thing on a motorcycle and as you found, this neglect will lead not only to a need to replace the chain but the chain sprockets as well.

Lubricating and cleaning a chain is a easy task and checking to see if it needs adjustment is not much more difficult, doing the actual adjustment does require making the adjustment without getting the rear wheel out of alignment. You don't want the rear wheel to be pointed right or left when your done. It needs to be pointing straight ahead.

Doing this alignment also is not real hard and there are several ways of doing it but if you decide to take on the task, I recommend spending some time on the web to check out some of the videos. (Check several because there are some that are not clear or are not correct. After seeing several, you will be able to figure out what the best way for you is.)

IMO, you should lubricate the chain every 500-600 km if it is ridden in wet conditions. In dry conditions, the lubricating interval can be extended to 800-1000 km.

While lubricating the chain, check to see if some area of it has tightened up. That is, it doesn't want to bend. If you see a area that seems to be this way, replace the chain immediately.

Also, NEVER lubricate the chain while the engine is running.
One of our fellow members did try lubricating his chain while the engine was running and the transmission was in first gear. (The motorcycle was resting on the centerstand with the rear wheel in the air.)

While doing this, he accidentally got his fingers caught in the chain and the rear sprocket chopped them off.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th July 2017 at 21:33.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:12   #6077
BHPian

Quote:
I have completed 9,000 hard kilometers on my 390 with a not-so-regular chain maintenance. My service guy told me that I will need to replace my chain-sprocket after maybe another 1,000kms!
Is 10,000kms life routine for the chain-sprocket?
And how do I take better care of the chain from hereon?
I changed my chain and sprocket around 20k kms with regular cleaning, lubing and adjusting every 500-600km. The sprocket was not worn much but the chain had reached the end of it's life. 390 sprockets have an annoying tendency to develop uneven chain tension. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms
Old 26th July 2017, 14:32   #6078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms
I have been religiously cleaning and lubing my chain using Motul ,but it lasts only 12 to 14 k kilometers , I ride hard and more than replacing the chain I'm fed up of adjusting the chain every 600-700 kms .
All the well known brands ie DID etc are quite expensive and I came a across a guy in Mumbai who sells the Rolon Kit and I believe its an X-ring chain .
Can you please let me know where you have sourced the Rolon kit ,and the price .
Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 15:45   #6079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I changed my chain and sprocket around 20k kms with regular cleaning, lubing and adjusting every 500-600km. The sprocket was not worn much but the chain had reached the end of it's life. 390 sprockets have an annoying tendency to develop uneven chain tension. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms
I thought the OEM chain and sprockets are indeed Rolon ones with KTM branding. At least it was for the D200.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 15:49   #6080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I thought the OEM chain and sprockets are indeed Rolon ones with KTM branding. At least it was for the D200.
Well the chain is indeed different i suppose. It gets surface rust pretty quick if i don't keep it lubed frequently. Stock chain never had that trouble. I could be wrong though

Btw, i sourced the kit from Lets Gear Up guys. It was 2600 iirc

Last edited by b16h22 : 26th July 2017 at 15:56.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 14:44   #6081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I changed my chain sprocket at around 11,000kms. I ignored chain maintenance too, but now i take proper care of the chain. I suggest you to ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If a rear chain is properly lubricated and kept clean, it should last for at least 15,000 km.
The sprockets should be good for over 30,000 km.

I think the rear chain is probably the most neglected thing on a motorcycle and as you found, this neglect will lead not only to a need to replace the chain but the chain sprockets as well. ........
Quote:
I changed my chain and sprocket around 20k kms with regular cleaning, lubing and adjusting every 500-600km. .......

Thanks a lot guys! Duly noted and will take better care of the chain now.
How long are the brake pads, both front and rear, supposed to last? I feel the front brake getting spongier!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 14:17. Reason: Edited quoted posts for better readability
Old 28th July 2017, 18:32   #6082
BHPian

My first chain set lasted 12k kms and the second set lasted 29k kms. First chain set was totally neglected and the second set was properly taken care off. Second set was lubed and cleaned every 500 kms. So i believe extracting a life of 20-25k kms is possible !

Last edited by nitninja : 28th July 2017 at 18:34.
nitninja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 17:52   #6083
BHPian

I have a question about an issue I've been facing with my 2014 Duke 390. The speedometer and odometer only show readings in multiples of 8 or 9, for example the speedo never crosses a reading of 4 to 5 kph within city limits. I suspect the ABS motor is shot, though the ABS is working fine.

My local KTM service centre doesn't seem to be giving me a straight answer and I've been going back and forth with them for nearly 1.5 months now. First, they say it's the ABS sensor, then the ABS cable, then the wiring kit and then the ABS motor, but still no luck. I suspect they haven't actually replaced any of the parts.

I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and what the ultimate solution could be.

Thanks!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 14:17. Reason: Edited post for better readability
Old 14th August 2017, 13:38   #6084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
My first chain set lasted 12k kms and the second set lasted 29k kms. First chain set was totally neglected and the second set was properly taken care off. Second set was lubed and cleaned every 500 kms. So i believe extracting a life of 20-25k kms is possible !

I could finally squeeze 12k kms out of it before having to replace it. Parts+labor cost ₹3500 at Whitefield KTM.
Was riding happily back home when a guy at a petrol bunk pointed the visible "steel wires" in the rear tire! Nursed the bike back home through rain and darkness and now need to replace the tire.
So what are my options? I am leaning more towards the Michelins after reading good reviews about them, but am confused about what size to go for. 140/70 or 150/60?
Metz are a strict no as they are too expensive and my bike has never seen a track and never will anytime soon. My rides are strictly confined to the roads with the frequent HYD-BLR rides.
And where can I source them in Hyderabad? And should I get it installed at KTM or at the tire shop?
Old 14th August 2017, 14:38   #6085
BHPian

Quote:
So what are my options? I am leaning more towards the Michelins after reading good reviews about them, but am confused about what size to go for. 140/70 or 150/60?
I moved to Michelin Pilot Street Radials - My experience with them was relatively brief (since I gave away the D390 to one of my friends and picked a 2017 version)

The grip is awesome, and definitely as good as Metz. Loved the treads (opposing treads for front and rear tires). Wet grip was perfect too. (I tried it immediately after rains).

I was told the longevity is slightly better, but not too much. But this should be less expensive than Metz and hence a better Value for Money. I paid 12K, but I have heard reports of people getting it for 10K. So, please check around before you change them

Quote:
And should I get it installed at KTM or at the tire shop?
A good tire shop will do a better job than the KTM service centers (who rarely look at tires)
Old 14th August 2017, 15:16   #6086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I moved to Michelin Pilot Street Radials - My experience with them was relatively brief

The grip is awesome, and definitely as good as Metz. Loved the treads (opposing treads for front and rear tires). Wet grip was perfect too. (I tried it immediately after rains).

I was told the longevity is slightly better, but not too much. But this should be less expensive than Metz and hence a better Value for Money. I paid 12K, but I have heard reports of people getting it for 10K. So, please check around before you change them
I used Michilin Pilot Street 150/60/17 for the rear of my Versys for about 12K kms and it looked like it could do 8-10K easily more. That costed some Rs.5,800 if am not wrong.

I rode almost 4-5K purely in medium to heavy rain mostly on tarmac with at times in a place with absolutely no road (about 450-500kms). Had one punture post about 9K kms and with normal punture kit self repair ran decently for another 3K kms. I was damn sure it could have easily done 8-10K. Quite a few have changed to Michelin Pilot Street from the stock Dunlops and are very happy. The tyre seems to be immortal!!
Old 14th August 2017, 15:43   #6087

150/60 is the stock size for Dukes and Michelin is available in that size now for about a couple of years. Earlier Michelins 150/60 was not available and the closest was 140/70; that is the reason why you see earlier articles/reviews suggesting to go for it. As many suggested it is the most value for money bet now available in market for its comparable grip to Metz and the longevity. Actually it fares better in mud or mucky off road than Metz. It can easily go up to 20K kms and can be taken further too. But consider it as a 20k tyre and better to change it after that as grip level reduces post 20k -ish.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:10   #6088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

12k?! That's a little too much even for a pair! The rear costs around 6k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerzindia View Post
I used Michilin Pilot Street 150/60/17 for the rear of my Versys for about 12K kms and it looked like it could do 8-10K easily more. That costed some Rs.5,800 if am not wrong.

I rode almost 4-5K purely in medium to heavy rain mostly on tarmac with at times in a place with absolutely no road (about 450-500kms). Had one punture post about 9K kms and with normal punture kit self repair ran decently for another 3K kms. I was damn sure it could have easily done 8-10K. Quite a few have changed to Michelin Pilot Street from the stock Dunlops and are very happy. The tyre seems to be immortal!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshithr View Post
150/60 is the stock size for Dukes and Michelin is available in that size now for about a couple of years. Earlier Michelins 150/60 was not available and the closest was 140/70; that is the reason why you see earlier articles/reviews suggesting to go for it. As many suggested it is the most value for money bet now available in market for its comparable grip to Metz and the longevity. Actually it fares better in mud or mucky off road than Metz. It can easily go up to 20K kms and can be taken further too. But consider it as a 20k tyre and better to change it after that as grip level reduces post 20k -ish.

Oh, that sorts the tire size dilemma. Thank you, good sir!
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:28   #6089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
I have a question about an issue I've been facing with my 2014 Duke 390. The speedometer and odometer only show readings in multiples of 8 or 9, for example the speedo never crosses a reading of 4 to 5 kph within city limits. I suspect the ABS motor is shot, though the ABS is working fine.
My local KTM service centre doesn't seem to be giving me a straight answer and I've been going back and forth with them for nearly 1.5 months now. First, they say it's the ABS sensor, then the ABS cable, then the wiring kit and then the ABS motor, but still no luck. I suspect they haven't actually replaced any of the parts. I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and what the ultimate solution could be.

Thanks!
Last I checked online, Metz Sportec M5 H rated and Michelin PSR costs the same. 10K for a pair. If someone could shed light on the life of H rated M5, it should be easy to choose between Metz and Michelin
Old 16th August 2017, 10:51   #6090
BHPian

I have been using the Michelin Pilot Street 150/60 (for rear) for the last 18000 kilometers (yes, you read that right). Tyre pressure checked every two weeks since purchase. I have attached it's latest photo below for reference of all. I'll let it do the talking.

Never ever reverting to Metzeler again, because the Michelin is giving me all that I want, including spectacular grip in rain/gravel/corners, for a cheaper price.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170701_155440133.jpg

Last edited by barcalad : 16th August 2017 at 10:52.
barcalad is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed