Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 16:53   #6226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

For sake of clarity, when you say pickup coil, do you mean the ignition coil or the stator coil? I'm assuming you mean the ignition coil.

I do have a OBD scanner, but will need to make a port to connect to the KTM socket. Don't get enough time for this, any ideas if such a cable exists to convert from 6 pin to standard OBD port?
Old 12th August 2018, 17:55   #6227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I do have a OBD scanner, but will need to make a port to connect to the KTM socket. Don't get enough time for this, any ideas if such a cable exists to convert from 6 pin to standard OBD port?
Check with your SVC. Bajaj has a pigtail that connects the OBD2 port with the one on the bike. They may procure it for you.

Bosch is also planning to bring out a generic 2W scanner out into the market in a few weeks which features KTM, Bajaj, Kawasaki and Honda in it's database. It also has a pigtail which can be ordered separately. I will update the details here soon when it is launched. But be aware the price might outstrip your scantool.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 20:01   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Okay got the tank cover off sometime back. Cleaned the connector and the ground and the metal part of the ignition coil (the one with the JY sticker, see pic) with WD40. The metal part was rusted a lot, tried to wipe it with a cloth since I didn't have sandpaper.

Anyways, fired the bike up and there was a marginal difference. But it still kept stalling.

Okay, then tried to check the resistance using a multimeter. When I check the two points in the connector I get a 0.9-1 reading with the multimeter set to 200. When I try the same between the plug wire and one of the connectors I get nothing. That's strange because I do have spark with the bike starting up.

For the OBD scan I'll try to check on Wednesday when I do get time. For the meantime, maybe source another ignition coil and check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1534083377869.jpg  

Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 20:25   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For sake of clarity, when you say pickup coil, do you mean the ignition coil or the stator coil? I'm assuming you mean the ignition coil.

Did you check the spark plug cap for any corrosion or anything unduly. How well are the spark plug leads. I'd suggest you start off with checking your spark plug leads and the plug cap, check if they are loose.

Remove the spark plug cap, visually check for anything unduly. Do check the spark plug lead, the middle of the lead should have the copper core. Try nicking a fine part of the lead, tighten the spark plug cap properly and fire er up.

Keep your observations posted.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 12th August 2018, 23:01   #6230
BANNED

Quote:

The Pulser(pickup) coil is the black magnetic thing that sits next to the stator.

Disconnect your stator connector and you'll find two lines that go to the pulser coil, ideally you are supposed to get continuity between the lines.

Name:  Pickup.png
Views: 14941
Size:  40.4 KB

Above is the wiring diagram of a Duke 125, I've circled the pulser coil.

As for the OBD conversion cable, I have no clue, other KTM owners might be able to help you on that front, a little Google search landed me on Aliexpress where cables are available for as low as 600/-, here's a picture of one;

Name:  OBD.PNG
Views: 7064
Size:  110.2 KB

Quote:
Okay got the tank cover off sometime back. Cleaned the connector and the ground and the metal part of the ignition coil (the one with the JY sticker, see pic) with WD40. The metal part was rusted a lot, tried to wipe it with a cloth since I didn't have sandpaper.

Anyways, fired the bike up and there was a marginal difference. But it still kept stalling.

Okay, then tried to check the resistance using a multimeter. When I check the two points in the connector I get a 0.9-1 reading with the multimeter set to 200. When I try the same between the plug wire and one of the connectors I get nothing. That's strange because I do have spark with the bike starting up.

For the OBD scan I'll try to check on Wednesday when I do get time. For the meantime, maybe source another ignition coil and check it out.
To check the ignition coil you need to check continuity/resistance between both input poles and either input pole and output wire. Resistance values would differ from motorcycle to motorcycle so you'd need to get hold of the workshop manual to determine whether all is well or not.

As I've already said since you have spark at idle your ignition coil is working fine, you only face issues once the revs go up so you need to look elsewhere, what was the condition of the stator connector?
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 18:47   #6231
BHPian

Might sound like a noob question but what are the run-in 'speed' to be maintained for first 1000 kms? As per manual it does say to restrict rpm upto 7500. But any info about the gear-wise speed limits? Like the ones we have in cars? I couldn't find anything in manual.
Old 13th August 2018, 19:03   #6232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Might sound like a noob question but what are the run-in 'speed' to be maintained for first 1000 kms? As per manual it does say to restrict rpm upto 7500. But any info about the gear-wise speed limits? Like the ones we have in cars? I couldn't find anything in manual.
Mentioning Run-in speeds in terms of engine rpm is the right practice. You can irrespectively run your bike at high speed if you ensure that you run your bike engine below the rpms mentioned in the operators manual.

If you want run in road speed in particular gear make your bike run to the specified engine rpm and stick to that speed for that particular rpm.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 10:02   #6233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The Pulser(pickup) coil is the black magnetic thing that sits next to the stator.

Disconnect your stator connector and you'll find two lines that go to the pulser coil, ideally you are supposed to get continuity between the lines.

Attachment 1789560

Above is the wiring diagram of a Duke 125, I've circled the pulser coil.

As for the OBD conversion cable, I have no clue, other KTM owners might be able to help you on that front, a little Google search landed me on Aliexpress where cables are available for as low as 600/-, here's a picture of one;

Attachment 1789578

To check the ignition coil you need to check continuity/resistance between both input poles and either input pole and output wire. Resistance values would differ from motorcycle to motorcycle so you'd need to get hold of the workshop manual to determine whether all is well or not.

As I've already said since you have spark at idle your ignition coil is working fine, you only face issues once the revs go up so you need to look elsewhere, what was the condition of the stator connector?
When I checked the repair manual it shows that the stator wiring harness of the Duke 390 has just three wires (three pin connector). All yellow.

Where do I find the pickup coil wiring?
Old 15th August 2018, 13:14   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
When I checked the repair manual it shows that the stator wiring harness of the Duke 390 has just three wires (three pin connector). All yellow.

I believe the Duke 390 has a crankshaft position sensor instead of a pickup coil. This is because it is fuel injected. The ECU uses the signal from this sensor for fuel injection and ignition.

In your case, since the engine does start and run, the sensor might not be the problem. Bad sparkplug cable, connector and or ignition coil might be the problem. It could also be a defective throttle position sensor. Easiest way to check is to replace with a good one and try it out.

The obd might report a bad sensor but it will not be able to detect a bad ignition coil, cable or spark plug, or any other electrical wiring not connected to a sensor.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 15th August 2018 at 13:17.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 14:00   #6235
Senior - BHPian

For now:
- no access to OBD scan
- cannot ride bike to Service Center

I disconnected the ignition coil connector once again and checked the voltage of the connector. To do so, I cranked the bike to see what reading I do get. I got a maximum of 0.4-0.5V. Not sure if this information. Is any help.
Old 15th August 2018, 15:01   #6236
BANNED

Quote:
For now:
- no access to OBD scan
- cannot ride bike to Service Center

I disconnected the ignition coil connector once again and checked the voltage of the connector. To do so, I cranked the bike to see what reading I do get. I got a maximum of 0.4-0.5V. Not sure if this information. Is any help.
You could DIY it, courtesy Code 6 Tuning.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktmobd_diy_cable.jpg

Voltage/resistance specifications would ideally be available in the workshop manual for diagnostics.

Quote:

Darn!

Since I'm strictly old school as far as motorcycles go I had to Google a bit about the Duke 390 and it seems most owners are not the DIY'ing type as other than some generic content I could not find anything useful, but I was able to find a few pictures of the stator and you're right, the pickup coil is not in the stator compartment and unfortunately since I do not have access to the Duke 390 I would not be able to guide you on finding it, but the basic principle remains the same.

Do look for other wires that come out of the crankcase, I see that a few other cables pop out near to where the stator connector is, having the wiring diagram helps to determine which ones are from the pick-up coil.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 18:14   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Okay got the DIY done and connected the bike to the 4 year old OBD2 scanner (Big Banana). It's actually made for American cars though.

Anyways, got 03 fault codes:
P0480 Fan 1 Control Circuit
P1100 Mass Airflow Sensor Intermittent
P0000 unknown

Apart from this:
MIL status off
Misfire Monitor ok
Fuel System Monitor ok
Comp component ok
Sec air system ok
Oxygen sensor monitor ok
Oxygen sensor the ok
EGR System n/a
Catalyst mon n/a
HTd catalyst n/a
Evap system mon n/a

Live Data
Coolant deg c 42
MAP(kpa) 73
IGN adv 11
IAT DEG C 40

02S11
(v) 0.485
(%) 0.0

ST FTRM1 - 0.0
LT FTRM1 - 0.0

OBD2 STAT = OBD2-CALIF

TPS reading was
9.8 closed throttle
88.6 WOT

Planning to buy the newer bluetooth OBD2, I think these give better GUI and probably more information.

Anyone see anything sinister in these readings?

Last edited by Gordon : 18th August 2018 at 18:30.
Old 18th August 2018, 19:09   #6238
BANNED

Quote:
Okay got the DIY done and connected the bike to the 4 year old OBD2 scanner (Big Banana). It's actually made for American cars though.

Anyways, got 03 fault codes:
P0480 Fan 1 Control Circuit
P1100 Mass Airflow Sensor Intermittent
P0000 unknown
Now that's a good start.

I was unable to find anything similar on the below link directing to KTM Fault Codes, not sure but doesn't OBD's need to run machine-specific program to run a complete diagnostic check?

As per KTM Motorcycle Fault Codes List

You could give international KTM 390 forum's a shot as I doubt you'd find anything useful here or other Indigenous forum's considering motorcycle maintenance preferences in the country.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 21:02   #6239
Senior - BHPian

Ordered for the bluetooth OBD2 port to use with Torque app. Would the Torque app provide me additional information or the stuff above is all what I will get?
Old 19th August 2018, 20:31   #6240
Senior - BHPian

Checked the following today:
pulse generator resistance 0.390
Ignition connector voltage .200 (ignition on)
Ignition connector voltage .900 - 1.0 (while cranking)

Erased the fault codes and restarted the bike. I don't see any engine check light on the bike but the codes have reappeared.

The P0480 no longer appears.
Just the P1100 and P0000 appear now.
Not sure if the fault codes have really been erased.

I'm not sure if these readings are okay since there is no mention in the manuals.

Quite frustrated. Everything "seems" to be okay. But it dies.

Last edited by Gordon : 19th August 2018 at 20:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks