Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:10   #6286
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Yes, they are a direct fit and they improve the braking to quite an extent. The old spongy, extremely hard pressed feedback is very much improved with the new SS pads.. The brakes offer excellent feedback and bite very well. A worthy upgrade to the old pads.

Cheers!
VJ
Great. i will be going for this today. Was about to go for the 320mm upgrade.. but now will do this instead. Thanks for confirming.
Old 25th November 2018, 01:26   #6287
BHPian

Started a trip from Ahmadabad to Mumbai today and within the first 100 kilometres, I got stuck by the KTM Electronics Ghost in triples

First problem
As I stopped to fill in fuel and removed the key, I saw that the DRL's are still on. Inserted the key and then turned it on and off again. And then the DRL's switched off

Second problem
Right after filling fuel, my Dashboard gave me a warning of ABS Failure

No problem - nothing that could kill me so far so I was concerned but not overly concerned

Third and the biggest problem
Immediately as I started to ride and depressed the clutch for 1-2 seconds at a speed of 90 in 6th to shift to a speed of 25 at 2nd to cross a pothole or speedbreaker, I lost all power. The engine just shut off. It.happeend to me at least 5 more times on the way to a roadside KTM service station and a Ciaz almost rear ended me once as he saw me wring the throttle and accelerated but I had no power

The guy at the service station hooked up his Bosch unit to my bike, cleared all the error messages and voila- I rode down to Mumbai without any issue

Weird motorcycle. Can't trust it with my life but is otherwise quite reliable
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20181124wa0005.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20181124wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 25th November 2018 at 01:34. Reason: Adding a picture
rahul4321 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 19:33   #6288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Started a trip from Ahmadabad to Mumbai today and within the first 100 kilometres, I got stuck by the KTM Electronics Ghost in triples

First problem

Second problem

No problem -
KTM had tons of electrical gremlins, In my opinion they hastily launched the TFT setup on the 390s with different versions of the firmware being flashed from v37 all the way upto v42. Some owners confused the reading and even did parts replacement such as oil pressure switch which was frequently thrown in the dash and the light being on irrespective of the switch. But what can they do, they have to belieber.
Though the latest iterations have been covering up the issues, they still seem to be far from perfect w.r.t to bluetooth and call connectivity which differs with users. Perhaps a thread complied with issues specifically related to the TFT issues et al, which would help compile a detailed error report which can then be sent to KTM.
Nevertheless a fun hot putter.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 23:48   #6289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ I plan to put the front sprocket of Duke 250 (14 teeth) to improve acceleration and bottom end response. A friend has it and is very happy with it. It's almost like going 2-3 teeth up on the rear, with the advantage of not needing a new chain. And the mod is dirt cheap, couple of hundred rupees or so
Any updates? Did you try it on your bike too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Unfortunately not, the Duke 250 and Duke 390 has a different spline pattern than the Duke 200 and Pulsar's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
That is genius!
I am surely going to consider it. Thank you so much for the top tip!
So I swapped the 15T front sprocket on my 2016 D390 today for the 14T unit from the D250. Also got a new chain and rear sprocket (stock D390) as it was due for replacement.

The installation was carried out by Mapusa KTM and was very straightforward. Initially they were a little hesitant as they haven't done it on any bike yet but after I pushed for it a little they agreed. I only rode a short distance (15-20kms) after it but have noticed stronger acceleration pulls right away! Haven't had a chance to take her to triple digit speeds and see if there is a significant loss in too speed.
Happy so far with the bike and will update once I take her out properly. Attaching a few pics.

Old 15T front sprocket that came stock on the D390-
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543342407.350252.jpg

New 14T front sprocket from D250-
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543342433.232156.jpg

Installed along with a new stock (D390) chain and rear sprocket-
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543342514.538430.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2018 at 09:55. Reason: Formatting (better readability) + replacing '.
shyn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 09:16   #6290
BHPian

Quote:

I only rode a short distance (15-20kms) after it but have noticed stronger acceleration pulls rightaway! Haven't had a chance to take her to triple digit speeds and see if there is a significant loss in too speed.
As far as i know, D390 has speed sensor on its output shaft, and not on its front wheel hub. You won't be seeing any loss of speed in your instrument but your actual speed would be less than what indicated on the speedo. Infact you may even see higher top speed on your instrument since gearing is now shorter allowing higher rev in 6th gear. But your actual speed will be less.
Same goes for Fuel economy. Actual economy will be less, while you may not see significant change.
hgps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 09:46   #6291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
As far as i know, D390 has speed sensor on its output shaft, and not on its front wheel hub. You won't be seeing any loss of speed in your instrument but your actual speed would be less than what indicated on the speedo. Infact you may even see higher top speed on your instrument since gearing is now shorter allowing higher rev in 6th gear. But your actual speed will be less.

Same goes for Fuel economy. Actual economy will be less, while you may not see significant change.
That's quite interesting! So have I made a mistake doing this? And is there any ios app I can use to check my true speed? I currently have the Pirelli Diablo SBK app but that seems to be good for lap times only. Also, I usually check my fuel economy with the odometer reading. I hope that isn't affected by this. Or is it?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2018 at 09:56. Reason: Formatting.
Old 28th November 2018, 09:59   #6292
BHPian

Quote:
That's quite interesting!
So have I made a mistake doing this?
And is there any ios app I can use to check my true speed? I currently have the Pirelli Diablo SBK app but that seems to be good for lap times only.
Also, I usually check my fuel economy with the odometer reading. I hope that isn't affected by this. Or is it?
Whether downsizing front sprocket was a mistake or not depends on your happiness Ask yourself if Incorrect meter reading is a sacrifice worth having for a stronger in gear acceleration. And Yes, odo too has been affected. It will show more KMs raking up while your actual travelling will be less.
There is a device called speedohealer which takes care of these inaccuracies.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/h...eedohealer-v4/
hgps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 10:36   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
As far as i know, D390 has speed sensor on its output shaft, and not on its front wheel hub.

This is not correct. The hall sensor is in the front wheel hub.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:02   #6294
BHPian

If that's correct, forget what i said above. Your Speedo will be accurate. Do post your top speed and FE observations.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:39   #6295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
This is not correct. The hall sensor is in the front wheel hub.

Oh phew! You saved me a mini heart-attack. Thank you so much for the clarification.

Quote:
If that's correct, forget what i said above. Your Speedo will be accurate. Do post your top speed and FE observations.

Yessir, will do!
Very eager to push her properly. And I obviously expect a drop in FE because of the extra fun I will be having!

BTW, does a brand new chain (straight out of the box) need to be lubed after installation? Because I don't remember the service guys doing it.
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 22:42   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So I swapped the 15T front sprocket on my 2016 D390 today for the 14T unit from the D250. Also got a new chain and rear sprocket (stock D390) as it was due for replacement.

The installation was carried out by Mapusa KTM and was very straightforward. Initially they were a little hesitant as they haven't done it on any bike yet but after I pushed for it a little they agreed. I only rode a short distance (15-20kms) after it but have noticed stronger acceleration pulls right away! Haven't had a chance to take her to triple digit speeds and see if there is a significant loss in too speed.
Happy so far with the bike and will update once I take her out properly. Attaching a few pics.

Old 15T front sprocket that came stock on the D390-

New 14T front sprocket from D250-

Installed along with a new stock (D390) chain and rear sprocket-
Quote:
Whether downsizing front sprocket was a mistake or not depends on your happiness Ask yourself if Incorrect meter reading is a sacrifice worth having for a stronger in gear acceleration. And Yes, odo too has been affected. It will show more KMs raking up while your actual travelling will be less.
There is a device called speedohealer which takes care of these inaccuracies.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/h...eedohealer-v4/
Quote:
Actually a bigger rear sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket works very well for undergearing. The top speed shouldn't be affected more than 3 to 5 kmph at max, but you gain in the low towith a smaller front or a bigger rear.
hgps I think you're referring to the CBR 250R which has its VS Sensor on the output shaft, but with the Duke 390, it's on the front wheel itself at least on the 2015 to 17 MY. The sensor that works for ABS doubles as the speedo sensor itself. In the case of 200 we have a dedicated speedo sensor that is bolted on the left side of the fork leg, neatly concealed under the fender bolt area.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 19:27   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I got the time to take her out properly on highways and ghat roads. She pulls much better all through now. The fuel ecomomy hasn't dropped as such. In fact, I am averaging the best figures ever on the current fuel of tank.

So all in all I am extremely happy with the upgrade. Specially when you consider the fact that the 14T sprocket costs under ₹200. I would go as far as saying it is a must have for every D390!

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2019 at 07:04. Reason: STRICTLY no posts on illegally high speeds
shyn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:27   #6298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I don't mind that at all since I rarely did those speeds. And when I did do, it was only for a few seconds because I don't have a death wish.
The fuel ecomomy hasn't dropped as such. In fact, I am averaging the best figures ever on the current fuel of tank.
So all in all I am extremely happy with the upgrade. Specially when you consider the fact that the 14T sprocket costs under ₹200. I would go as far as saying it is a must have for every D390!
That's nice. What is the engine speed at 100 and 120 KPH in the 6th gear? And how does it compare to the stock setting?

Regards
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:36   #6299
BHPian

Quote:
The fuel ecomomy hasn't dropped as such. In fact, I am averaging the best figures ever on the current fuel of tank.

Thanks for the update. Planning to do this at my next service in about a month. How does it ride in traffic at low speeds? Is there any improvement?
And how much is tank range?
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:59   #6300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
That's nice. What is the engine speed at 100 and 120 KPH in the 6th gear? And how does it compare to the stock setting?

Regards

IIRC, it was around 7200rpm@130kmph and 6000rpm@115kmph. Will pay better attention when I go out next in a few days.
Compared to stock, that's a clear increase in engine speed. Maybe someone with a stock bike can chime in their figures and we can get a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Thanks for the update. Planning to do this at my next service in about a month. How does it ride in traffic at low speeds? Is there any improvement?
And how much is tank range?

The bike accelerates much better in traffic. I am hitting 100kmph fairly easily now on my way to the office. Never was able to do that with the stock sprocket on the same roads. So yes, it is a significant improvement!
The range has pretty much stayed the same as before. Initially, with the new sprocket, I was going a little harder on acceleration so the range had dropped a little. But I have been taking it easy on the last fill-up and am seeing the best figures till date. So it all depends on the riding style. But safe to say that there is no affect on economy overall.
shyn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks