Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2018, 12:21   #6256
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Hi Experts of Duke. I am absolutely in love with the bike but my riding includes city runs in traffic. Just wanted to know how the 2018 Duke runs in traffic. Does it still fry your legs ? Apart from the engine heat I don't see any reason for not buying one for myself.
I ride daily (2018 Duke 390) to office from Vashi to Powai Hiranandani. Heat is definitely felt on left leg shin area and lower thigh. There is no heat felt on RHS. It is certainly not unbearable.

Temperature bar, I haven't seen it cross 4 bars. Fan runs full time in traffic. Only when I switch off the engine at signal, I have seen 5 bars. The moment you start the engine and fan starts, it comes down to 4 bars.

If your commute involves bumper to bumper traffic for a longer duration, then it will be an issue. Specially given the Mumbai temperatures. I would dread to ride it in summers. No way.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 10:34   #6257
BHPian

Delhi guy here. I've had my Duke 390 for 3 years now, ridden it in all sorts of traffic, in peak summer. It gets a little hot, but at no point was it any hotter than my old Thunderbird 500 in heavy afternoon traffic in peak summer.

If you can bear the heat of a RE 500 in stop-and-go traffic on a summer afternoon in all your gear, then the KTM's heat won't bother you either.

Yes, the fan does run at high temps, which it is supposed to do. I don't understand why people complain about that, it's designed to run that way.

Furthermore, if a 373cc engine is too hot for some people, what do those same people imagine a liter bike or an air-cooled Harley would be like? lol. But I digress.
marcussantiago is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 11:50   #6258
Senior - BHPian

Status of the Duke remains unchanged. Took a short video last night

Old 1st October 2018, 13:01   #6259
rbp
BHPian

Any good KTM service centers in Bangalore. I have tried the Mekhri Circle one and Auto Service Banashankri. Anything else?
Old 1st October 2018, 14:32   #6260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The good thing is that since there is no misfiring, we can rule out the Pulsar coil.

This looks like an electrical issue, most probably with the TPS or ECU.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 15:17   #6261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The good thing is that since there is no misfiring, we can rule out the Pulsar coil.

This looks like an electrical issue, most probably with the TPS or ECU.
It came to this state because of major misfiring issues. Just before it shuts off, it's actually missing and stalling.

I checked the TPS using the scanner and it's showing correct readings.

Anyone from Mumbai opted for the Orange Assist? How do I register and avail of it? Don't see relevant details on the site.
Old 1st October 2018, 16:03   #6262
BHPian

Quote:
It came to this state because of major misfiring issues. Just before it shuts off, it's actually missing and stalling.

Anyone from Mumbai opted for the Orange Assist? How do I register and avail of it? Don't see relevant details on the site.
Have you checked the engine stop switch on the handlebar? This switch could have a loose contact and the problem would be intermittent.
Old 1st October 2018, 16:08   #6263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Delhi guy here. I've had my Duke 390 for 3 years now, ridden it in all sorts of traffic, in peak summer. It gets a little hot, but at no point was it any hotter than my old Thunderbird 500 in heavy afternoon traffic in peak summer.

If you can bear the heat of a RE 500 in stop-and-go traffic on a summer afternoon in all your gear, then the KTM's heat won't bother you either.

Yes, the fan does run at high temps, which it is supposed to do. I don't understand why people complain about that, it's designed to run that way.

Furthermore, if a 373cc engine is too hot for some people, what do those same people imagine a liter bike or an air-cooled Harley would be like? lol. But I digress.
The Bajaj 390s do run hot to the point of being uncomfortable. Engine heat from my FZ1 made it uncomfortable in the summers in Pune but was manageable.

The issue which they seem to have solved with the new 390 was that of the direction of throw of the hot air.

A couple of years of testing on unsuspecting customers does help

Last edited by Crankpin : 1st October 2018 at 16:09.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 18:06   #6264
BANNED

Quote:

I've done a bit of reading and the equivalent of a Pulser Coil in EFI machines is the 'Crank Position Sensor' and 'Camshaft Position Sensor' with the latter not being present on all machines.

Do you recall receiving any reading's based on the above parameters?
Old 1st October 2018, 18:18   #6265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It came to this state because of major misfiring issues. Just before it shuts off....
Not sure if I missed it but has the SVC / competent mechanic had a go at it? Asking since IIRC this has been a long persisting issue and I would imagine a good mech would have this Bike back on the road by now
Old 1st October 2018, 18:33   #6266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Not sure if I missed it but has the SVC / competent mechanic had a go at it? Asking since IIRC this has been a long persisting issue and I would imagine a good mech would have this Bike back on the road by now
You know the fish proverb right? For motorcycles its something like this,

"Get a mechanic to fix your motorcycle and you ride for now, Fix your own motorcycle and you ride forever"

On a serious note I believe he has difficulty transporting the motorcycle to the SVC hence the insistence to try out DIY'ing before throwing in the towel and resorting to getting the motorcycle towed.
Old 1st October 2018, 18:51   #6267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
On a serious note I believe he has difficulty transporting the motorcycle to the SVC hence the insistence to try out DIY'ing before throwing in the towel and resorting to getting the motorcycle towed.
Haha! I get that. But for someone like me this would not be an option. My 390 is my daily driver and I cant afford that much downtime for her

I would say bite the bullet and tow it to the SVC / Mech you trust
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:12   #6268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Haha! I get that. But for someone like me this would not be an option. My 390 is my daily driver and I cant afford that much downtime for her

I would say bite the bullet and tow it to the SVC / Mech you trust
Got this from Popular's website, do confirm if the information is right;

Quote:
'Orange Assist', is a 24x7 roadside assistance service, in India. Owners who opt for this service can request a pickup in case of a breakdown. With more and more people taking their bikes on long rides, Orange Assist will certainly be a welcome introduction for KTM owners.

ORANGE ASSIST PROGRAM India Assistance , Non Stop Help on the Road 1800 267 0268 / 022-40901529
Quote:
How do I register and avail of it? Don't see relevant details on the site.
FYI.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 1st October 2018 at 19:14.
Old 1st October 2018, 23:11   #6269
BHPian

Quote:

Did you try cleaning the throttle body? It's a common case in the new ones and they exhibit the same behavior.
Old 7th October 2018, 15:05   #6270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gordon, your problem is one which is long overdue.

I'd suggest you check the side-stand sensor switch, this switch, when faulty stalls the bike when riding or idling, basically when the engine is running. I'd suggest to clean it, make sure there are no dust accumulation on the magnets and the connectors.

I hope you've checked the fuel pump pressure, the in line fuel filter and all the fueling aspects to it. If you feel the bike stalls only during IDLING, or doesn't idle, your stepper motor might be at fault, as it is what controls the idling. A jerky or intermittent idling would mean a faulty stepper motor.

Thirdly, I'd suggest you to check your spark plug cap, spark plug lead, and the spark plug itself and the HT coil. A misaligned spark plug cap or a loose lead to cap would mean insufficient current to produce a spark and well, stall.

Lastly the fuel injector itself. A clogged fuel injector or a faulty fuel injector would mean intermittent fueling and the resultant stalling and rough idling.

This is what I could think of as of now. The issue could be isolated to the above or probably even sinister. But I'd suggest you to try these and keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks