Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 13:19   #4861
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

BTW Ikoner got Duked on his B'day!! Covered 290 Kms in city riding so far & having a blast with the 390. Coming to the topic in question, I hear drumming noise when I decelerate in the 3rd gear. I was thinking this should be a normal behavior as my unicorn makes the same noise post the K&N filter fitted. Also, as a part of running in was thinking taking it for a lazy ride up till Mysore. Would be maintaining the rev limits as advised by KTM. Can this be done during running in period?Lastly, bike is lying idle for a week since am on Business travel, should I tell my HOD to turn on the bike and idle it for 2 mins every alternate day?
Old 24th September 2015, 13:36   #4862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoner_03 View Post
Would be maintaining the rev limits as advised by KTM. Can this be done during running in period?Lastly, bike is lying idle for a week since am on Business travel, should I tell my HOD to turn on the bike and idle it for 2 mins every alternate day?
Congratulations on joining the Orange army. Wishing you plenty of joyful miles!

You can do that distance in the running period with ease. Give occasional bursts of speed and do not maintain a constant rpm. Accelerate sedately.
Just be careful on the infamous bumps and traffic.

It's not quite necessary to do idle the bike every alternate day, unless the weather's very cold. But then, if you want peace of mind (why I totally understand), you can go ahead with it.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:00   #4863
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen

The day has come where I have decided to part ways with the Duke. My bike is listed on the TBHP classified section. I've never sold a bike this fast. The Duke was my first new motorcycle. Several that I have owned in the past and still own have seen multiple owners. The sale description has everything one wants to know about the bike. If there is anything else you need to know, please PM. Feel free to tell me if I have over priced the bike.
Old 26th September 2015, 13:11   #4864
BHPian

Finally the first breakdown, if i can call it that! Was zipping through traffic yesterday and my clutch cable snapped. I'm an idiot for not having thought about changing it, it's done 18300 km after all.

Credit to KTM Begumpet, they sent 2 boys within an hour to where i was and had the cable replaced. 150 bucks for the cable, 200 for the service. Totally worth it. Ramesh was very helpful as always.

One more issue here - when i brake hard i hear a noise through the front end coupled with a 'tak-tak' kinda noise. This should be the cone set i'm thinking, any idea when they should be replaced, in terms of kilometers done? i'm probably way overdue on this and since the bike's due for service i want to get everything sorted.

Also happened to see a Duke 200 with a brilliant tail tidy, such a neat piece of kit. Resembles one of the new Pulsar's. Pity i couldn't stop the guy and request details.

Lastly, i might be able to help out with an email contact of a HR person in Pune if any of you guys is having a serious issue. Feel free to ping. It sucks when customers aren't given their due and there seem to be a few recent issues reported in this thread.
Old 26th September 2015, 14:55   #4865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
I have the exact same problem at around 3300 to 3400 rpm. It annoys the hell out of me . It sounds like a bee buzzing. It started about 400kms into delivery . It has been 2 months and 3000kms now and im used to it. The service center guys were clueless as to what was causing that sound
I have gone lengths to rectify the buzzing noise. I can give you a list of things to check and tighten/ modify.
1. If it is a metalic buzzing, then check the fuel keyhole. Keep the fuel lid up and try to press the keyhole while riding, if it is gone, then that might be the culprit.
The easiest way to sovle it is to apply grease on it. It will stop the vibration.
2. If it is like the buzzing bee, then there are a lot of culprits, which you need to systematically check.
3. The most popular one is the contact of the coolant tank with the tank cover. You can remove this by applying a two sided tape between the coolant tank and the tank cover. Be careful, while removing the tank cover though. There is a pipe running from the fuel tank opening along the sides of the tank cover.
4. You can check the vibrations of the above mentioned pipe too. Sqeeze in some packing material along the sides of the pipe.
5. Next one to check is the engine guard. Remove it and see if the problem is solved. If the noose goes away, ask the dealer to fix it.
6. Check both the mirrors. Press the mirrors hard to see if they rattle against the mirror casing. Apply some super glue along the gaps to rectify.
7. Check if the front number plate holder is vibrating. Put washers on the mounting screws to rectify.
By this time the sound must be gone, or else

1. Remove the headlight assembly. Try to fasten and cushion the couplers inside the headlight assembly.
2. Re torque all the screws and bolts.
By this time the nioise must be gone

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 26th September 2015 at 15:10.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 14:59   #4866
BHPian

I'm hearing a ' tak ' sound under the rear seat if a pillion is riding with me. It is usually heard when I ride over speed breakers and if the pillion rider is around 80 kgs. Anyone any clue as to whats happening?
Old 28th September 2015, 10:46   #4867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Credit to KTM Begumpet, they sent 2 boys within an hour to where i was and had the cable replaced. 150 bucks for the cable, 200 for the service. Totally worth it. Ramesh was very helpful as always.
I've always heard horrible things about KTM Begumpet, and have seen some in action! Surprised you have had a good experience with them. Went there last week to get my clutch cable changed, and they didn't have it in stock! Fit an RC390 one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
I'm hearing a ' tak ' sound under the rear seat if a pillion is riding with me. It is usually heard when I ride over speed breakers and if the pillion rider is around 80 kgs. Anyone any clue as to whats happening?
Your reflector under the number plate is hitting the rear mudguard.
Old 28th September 2015, 12:25   #4868
BHPian

The speedo console gets moisture in the morning and it clears later in the day. My brother inquired with the A.S.S and got a reply that it's common. Does anyone have encountered this issue?

What should be the resolution?

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-12032533_866880113380212_794675314_n.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-12029201_866880136713543_1606961512_n.jpg
Old 28th September 2015, 14:12   #4869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooraj.naik View Post
The speedo console gets moisture in the morning and it clears later in the day. My brother inquired with the A.S.S and got a reply that it's common. Does anyone have encountered this issue?

What should be the resolution?
I too have a similar problem, when checked with the A.S.S got the standard reply. Resolution is don't wash the bike or get drenched

On a serious note, looks like there is some gap which is causing the moisture, I almost thought it was a faulty unit and complained but the service center guys thought otherwise and rubbished as a general problem. Not sure how to resolve this
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 15:00   #4870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I too have a similar problem, when checked with the A.S.S got the standard reply. Resolution is don't wash the bike or get drenched

On a serious note, looks like there is some gap which is causing the moisture, I almost thought it was a faulty unit and complained but the service center guys thought otherwise and rubbished as a general problem. Not sure how to resolve this
The problem can only be rectified by replacing the console.I have seen many people replacing their consoles for the very same reason.I dont know why your A.S.S is denying a replacement.stand on their heads and get it replaced.
nitninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 15:04   #4871
BHPian

Has anyone found a remedy for the butt aching seat? One ride to Colaba, Mumbai gave me the experience of bondage. One KTM representative suggested seat reform from Imran seat maker at andheri east.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:16   #4872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
Has anyone found a remedy for the butt aching seat?
First step is to get a riding pant, if you already don't have one, you'll immediately notice a huge improvement in comfort.

Second step is to get a cycling short. I used one for a 600 km ride recently, what fun!

Third step is to get off the seat as often as possible. Every time you stop, be it for refueling or waiting or something else, step off. If you are riding for hours on end, stand up on the pegs and wiggle around.

Gel seats don't work, I have tried. Haven't tried air cushions though, so can't say much there. Contrary to intuition, hard seats are more comfortable for long rides.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:58   #4873

Hey guys!!
I'm going to book the 390 next week. But couldn't find any ownership reviews of the duke 390 2015 model.

Those who got the latest bike please share what do you think about new clutch system, the suspension, etc, .,

Cheers!!
Old 28th September 2015, 17:34   #4874
BHPian

@Akki4 - the clutch and suspension are very comfortable and smooth. Go for it bro. Please dont book it from sarvodaya, Goregaon. They will murder your purchasing experience. There is one KTM in Kandivali now.
Old 28th September 2015, 19:55   #4875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone found a remedy for the butt aching seat?
You have to find the core reason. It could even be your riding jeans and the under armour you are wearing. Remember heat dissipates right close to the butt area and keeping it cool is critical.

I have no share saying, i always ensure i do a mild round of coconut oil massage at friction points before every ride.

Your clothing is critical, your body position is critical and a little bit of back support ensure you are sitting at a right angle position, and also the time you are spending in the same position.

Take rest every 60 minutes. Get down and relax and stretch. This is where we design the automatic Tea stop after every 60 minutes.

Last but not the least, the KTM 390 seats are pretty cheap. Get a couple of them and modify with different materials, different cushion types and find out which works for you.

I have tried the cycling shorts but its very uncomfortable for long rides for me.

Most Viewed