Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 14:50   #271
BANNED

Re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So this was spot on with regards to the specs. Now just hoping that the pricing bit would be close to target too
If possible, I shall try and get the pricing from the same source, much before the launch.

On a side note, there seems to be nothing, absolutely nothing exciting about the specs or engineering from EM. It was always expected that they shall cut the corners on cylinder layout, they neither have the designers nor the development engineers.

Not looking forward to it anymore as I expect the OTR ~ 3.75 and any given day it is not worth it, but I'm sure the Indian Junta shall make them laugh all the way to the bank, thanks to the THUMP associated with it, which makes them feel they are Macho and can swoon the fairer halves.

Last edited by navin : 6th November 2017 at 17:10. Reason: typo
Torquedo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:04   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, but I'm sure the Indian Junta shall make them laugh all the way to the bank, thanks to the THUMP associated with it, which makes them feel they are Macho and can swoon the fairer half's.
Unlike their other entire line up, i think this bike showed a lot of potential. Looking at the videos this bike is sure capable to gulp distance at will, at good average speed. And it looks far more comfortable on the videos and if this prototype translates to production line model, i feel we cant club it along with RE's other lines ups. (Which i completely agree with you on your sentiment)
Old 6th November 2017, 20:26   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
5L is greedy. 3.5L is the opposite of greedy. May be charitable?.
3.5 is not at all charitable but it is what I feel the RE will deserve. Case in point the Yamaha 320 retails for 3.6 lacs ex. That too it’s a CKD. One might point that the jap is only 320cc, but that does not take away the fact that it’s still a parallel twin and a pretty reliable one too. Can’t say the same for RE engines. Also if RE is trying to milk their brand value (read Classic 350 sales), Himalayan hasn’t set the charts on fire nor did the GT. If at all going by the cc logic, then how much do we expect to shell out for a Made in India Duke 790 when it launches? Certainly not more than 5 lacs
Old 6th November 2017, 20:59   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That said, used well maintained bonnie's are going for about 5L now. So if RE prices this on road closer to something that can fetch you a used bonnie, then RE's asking for trouble.
This hits the nail on the head. Being someone who was actively looking at the street twin and then due to its pricing, pro actively dropped it and started once again actively looking out in the pre owned market for good examples.

If what certain posts are saying is true then a 5 lakh price tag is a bit high.

At the price they are asking they can safely filter out the poser segment leaving them with customers who want a good stress free motorcycle to enjoy riding and not be plagued by poor/sloppy service issues.

Question remains can they provide it?

I was just running through scenarios in my head where If I were to purchase this particular motorcycle and something were to go wrong with it, and I were to be met with the callousness associated with RE service centres. It would totally kill the brand. All presumptive of course

I was hoping that a good 4.5 Lakhs would be good for it. Man but 5+, other brands may charge that premium for their machines with a similar number of cylinders in differing layouts.But they are established in their particular segments ( Triumph and Harley) I guess R.E just wants to undercut the street 750. Quite confused right now. Gotta wait and see how it performs in the long run I guess.

I just hope that this is a situation where we expect the bike to be a lemon and it turns out to be one killer machine
Old 6th November 2017, 21:03   #275
Senior - BHPian

Wondering about
Weight (compared to the other RE engines.)
The choice of 4V single central camshaft.
And possible bore distortion due to uneven heating.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th November 2017, 22:54   #276
BHPian

close sources say the bike will be priced under 5L. Lets see how much of this is true.
Old 7th November 2017, 02:42   #277
BHPian

I feel this one will not get as much success as the RE classic or Thunderbird achieved. Most of the folks who got the RE classic, Thunderbird are only for their Retro and Macho looks . The success of these models went into the heads of the company and dealerships as they are easily earning the money without much effort.

If they would have been humble and listened to the customers, most of the RE bikes would have been niggle free by now and service standards would have been improved. If they want to touch the 4L barrier on pricing, they need to build a solid cruiser bike without any niggles . Apart from that the sales and service have to be improved a lot. If this is not done in the near future, then I am sure RE will go like TATA motors and will suffer a lot within 5 to 10 years time.

With the Bajaj and Triumph partnering together to build the bikes in sub 5L range, competition is getting heated for RE. Even though the Bajaj quality is not excellent, it is on par and in some cases ahead of the competition. For a local manufacturer, Bajaj has come a long way in terms of building a good motor cycle and buying the KTM only helped the company to grow further in the past few years.
Old 7th November 2017, 07:06   #278
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why all this hoopala about RE developing a 'new' engine? Have they made a gas turbine for the Tejas now? What is so revolutionary in making a parallel twin? Local garage builds have made better enfield based v twins. 47 bhp at a high 7000rpm makes it no different than any entry level twin as of now. Compare this to Tata motor's 1.3 which makes 200ps and we se RE is no better than a local garage
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 07:28   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I wonder why all this hoopala about RE developing a 'new' engine? Have they made a gas turbine for the Tejas now? What is so revolutionary in making a parallel twin?
I think we are excited because its the first time that an indian manufacturer has thought about a twin cylinder engine. There is nothing revolutionary but its the first time a company actually listened to its customers.

I was waiting for the same since I was 12. Presently we have bikes with cubic capacity of 535CC but twin cylinders are nowhere is sight. While HYOSUNG has been manufacturing 250CC twins since a decade now.

I know that its not as revolutionary as developing a new engine for TEJAS but its a welcome move from RE.
In a year or two, we will have a whole new breed of twin cylinder bikes from other indian manufacturers too( e.g. Bajaj, TVS). This is the start of a new era of riding in India and that is the reason Ry_der inside of me is excited.

Cheers !!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th November 2017 at 11:25. Reason: Bold paragraph edited
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 08:06   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I wonder why all this hoopala about RE developing a 'new' engine? Have they made a gas turbine for the Tejas now? What is so revolutionary in making a parallel twin? Local garage builds have made better enfield based v twins. 47 bhp at a high 7000 rpm makes it no different than any entry level twin as of now. Compare this to Tata motor's 1.3 which makes 200ps and we se RE is no better than a local garage.
I wonder what's so special about a supposed engineering giant like TATA developing a turbo-charged 1.3 that makes 200 PS ? I'm sure some tuning shop here has squeezed 200 PS or more from a turbo-charged 1.3 engine.

I mean, after all, even a maker of cars for unsavvy folks like Suzuki makes 200 PS from a 1.3 NA engine, do note, an NA engine, that screams all the way to 10,000 RPM.

Just saying, if you wished to put down Enfield for their lackluster engine development skills, at least you could've chosen a better benchmark than TATA.
~
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks