Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 14:02   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Think about it, LS410 is the most refined RE engine on sale now.

I dont think you can even tolerate the 350 & 500 mills for minutes.
Careful... He is a hardcore bulleteer for the past decade or more...lol.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 14:14   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:
Careful... He is a hardcore bulleteer for the past decade or more...lol.
Prassy is just jealous. He just had a wonderful trouble free trip to Kolli in one of the mills. He enjoyed in thoroughly to a point he was very interested to pick a 500cc.

Bullets are built to impress even someone who hates the diesel bullet.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 14:17   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Coming back to 610/650/750 RE twins, its definitely a step in right direction and hope they do a good job with the engine this time as i found the LS410 of Himalayan very crude and unrefined and underpowered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Think about it, LS410 is the most refined RE engine on sale now.
I dont think you can even tolerate the 350 & 500 mills for minutes.
Adding to Prasanna's comment, you must TD the Himalayan FI, its even smoother than the BS3 variant. When i TD'd the FI Himalayan, I had to keep on checking whether I was really riding an RE. The LS410 is, I wouldn't exactly say under powered but just gets the job done. The suspension is where the Himalayan really shines and I wouldn't mind having one in my garage.
I am on the lookout on buying a motorcycle to satisfy my touring needs. I have zeroed in on the Dominar and the Himalayan but have decided to wait for some time, just to see how the twin mite turn up to be. Just praying that RE doesn't screw up in terms of quality since which being the sole reason why the Himalayan suffered a big blow else it would have been the perfect tourer in terms of budget Vs what it was offering.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 14:28   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Prassy is just jealous. He just had a wonderful trouble free trip to Kolli in one of the mills. He enjoyed in thoroughly to a point he was very interested to pick a 500cc.

Bullets are built to impress even someone who hates the diesel bullet.

Since you brought it up, I should confess I had a good time on an electra 350 on the ghats. But on the plains, it wouldnt budge beyond 115 kmph(boy did i miss my Duke 390 & CBR 250R!) Effect of 1.5 hours of 115 kmph on Electra, I found myself shaking involuntarily on my bed that night. No I am not kidding. The vibes were so intense.

@Red Liner, guess he has forgotten the bulleteer stuff after the 650 and bonnie ownership.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th October 2017 at 14:33.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 16:59   #215
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
@Red Liner, guess he has forgotten the bulleteer stuff after the 650 and bonnie ownership.
ha! ha!! No Sire, Once a bulleteer, always a bulleteer!! And i have my profile pic to prove that.. And that is reason on lurking around these Himalayan and bullet related threads here..

I had high hope from the LS410, mainly because first time they were working on a totally new platform, doing away with age old push rods etc, and had all the cad/cam and technology available of the modern world, and that too not in India but in KTM land. So finally sampling the Himalayan was a bit of let down.
I also took a small test ride on the new BS4 Himalayan, but that bike had had a fall with bent bar, and a few more issues. not an ideal one to judge a bike.
Have been dreaming about and talking with my bullet buddies for last 10 years about how RE should launch a twin and cant believe finally its happening. somewhere during these years, preference shifted from classics to dual sport or adventure ride to handle touring needs in India. Had given-up hope on RE, managed to somehow get a Versys and used bonnie, and been happily riding it.
But Really looking forward to the twin Himalayan and hope RE hits the nail on the head this time. Would be go anywhere INDIAN bike in INDIA.
But as human nature is, i have also been secretly eying and waiting for the baby GS 310 and the 390 Adv.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 22:46   #216
BHPian

Power is just a figure.

How its put down, Now that's what truly makes a difference.

Some of us like it smooth and stress free, some of us like some crudeness aka the "freight train effect. End of the day its upto the individual customer. If we do make any comparos here with the 750/610/650/whatever twin Royal enfield is about to roll out, we should keep in mind who they are targeting.

Core 350cc market, yes indeed. Truthfully a lot of the owners I see just buy it to feel manly, i.e satisfy their ego's and what not. Do they understand their machines, majority do not. I see an n number of hardcore wannabes on the roads on Royal Enfields now. The kind who adopt that obnoxious posture and with those ridiculously loud exhausts with various rope wrapped bits and those handle bars that are thicker than the forks.

I would love a twin from R.E if it turns out to be relatively easy to maintain, feels right and the parts availability is good. Else I'd rather go with the competition paying a higher price for snob value.

In India, we need a decently priced twin , but if RE doesn't take care of the aftersales, it could turn out to be very sore indeed.
B O V is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 10:40   #217
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought process. To me it seems like RE is caught in the web of its own image. Every bike from RE needs to be thumper. They had a great opportunity to extract 35bhp from their 410cc Himalyan but chose to sacrifice 10 bhp to gain that crucial thump (somewhat). Himalyan will still be unbeatable if they put in a 30 plus bhp, butter smooth engine and relegate the thump to history books
Old 28th October 2017, 12:25   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought process. To me it seems like RE is caught in the web of its own image. Every bike from RE needs to be thumper. They had a great opportunity to extract 35bhp from their 410cc Himalyan but chose to sacrifice 10 bhp to gain that crucial thump (somewhat). Himalyan will still be unbeatable if they put in a 30 plus bhp, butter smooth engine and relegate the thump to history books
They just announced a bigger engine in the Himalyan. RE to me knows what will sell as volume. The enthusiasts actually dont go and buy a RE. But RE is evolving and is doing business like no other motorcycle in the country with best margins.
Old 28th October 2017, 16:59   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
They just announced a bigger engine in the Himalyan. RE to me knows what will sell as volume. The enthusiasts actually dont go and buy a RE.

But RE is evolving and is doing business like no other motorcycle in the country with best margins.

Thanks to a single model, the Classic 350 and also Lady Luck
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:01   #220
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Enfield twin cylinder bike is set to be unveiled at the upcoming EICMA show. Siddhartha Lal, CEO of Royal Enfield had posted the below video, which shows a birds-eye view of the bike with a scintillating exhaust note to boot!

I hope that this exhaust note is from the stock exhaust, or at least, from an exhaust that would be offered as an official accessory.

Link to the article from rushlane website - https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfie...o-1218027.html
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:29   #221
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't that sound like a 360 deg crankshaft?

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2017 at 13:15. Reason: Quote not necessary
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:00   #222
BHPian

Some more news regarding this over here:
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/royal-enf...-eicma-1770144

Bike is going to be a 750cc, and expected to be launched on 7th Nov. Will be a cafe racer - along the lines of the continental GT

Siddharth Lal says the bike will be 'highway worthy'. Output speculated to be around 50 hp and 60 Nm.

best,
anandpkumar
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Doesn't that sound like a 360 deg crankshaft?
Not that well-versed with twin cylinder engines, but one of the articles mentioned a 270 deg crank offset, and based on that I did some reading online and most articles suggested that a 270 deg crank produces a lovely exhaust note, which would be quite similar to that of a V-twin engine.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:32   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
These are prototype engines with minimum production design details.

The one posted by you looks like final production ready version.

Ex. clutch cover /magneto cover / head cam cover / fins on cylinder are modified to match certain engine family or vehicle model.

First cylinder was square now its a bit round.
Why do I have a feeling this configuration mite end up in the Himalayan. On a different note, this would be the second twin made by an Indian Company, the first one being the humble RD350 (Though it was an Indo-Japanese collaboration). I am pretty much sure, RE wouldn't screw up in terms of quality of the parts being used, since they have already burnt their fingers in the Himalayan fiasco, which indeed is a very good package.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd November 2017 at 18:54. Reason: Picture deleted from Quote. Makes for easier reading. Please quote only relevant sections. Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2017, 19:46   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Why do I have a feeling this configuration mite end up in the Himalayan.

I am pretty much sure, RE wouldn't screw up in terms of quality of the parts being used, since they have already burnt their fingers in the Himalayan fiasco, which indeed is a very good package.
Yes, it's Himalayan ready!

All UC engines have drive chain on the right side. (std,classic,continental.etc350/500 versions)

Only the Himalayans LS410 had drive chain on the right side.

Now the new parallel twin also has chain on the left side. (although its being tested on Continental chassis)

& asp per the company officials they will launch the cafe version first followed by higher cc Himalayan.

I will not be surprised if they name the new engine LS750 or LS650.

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 2nd November 2017 at 19:48.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks