Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 21:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Actually I disagree. As a long term biker, I am certain I am absolutely going to be fine on the bike. The problem is safely seating the monkey - he will be sleepy some day, inattentive / distracted / playing 99.99% of the time and can literally fall off, esp in the event I need to take sudden evasive action.
Or why not try these

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/ch...harness/2.html

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ld-childs-play
Old 30th August 2015, 22:25   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hi Team,

I am planning of an upgrade, I owned Avenger 220 for four years which I have sold in May'15. I am looking for a bike which will be with me for next 5-7 years at least. I have a liking for faired bikes but I can consider other practical and better options. The bike will be used for a daily commute of 15-20 Kms during peak office hours and once in a month for highway ride.

Few things I am looking for:

1. Quality(Don't want to end up visiting the service center every weekend)
2. FE - Anything above 25 kmpl
3. Should hold well for 5-7 years.
4. Budget - 2.5 Lacs (Might consider increasing, if need be)
5. I am 6' 1 - Bike dimensions should go well with my height.
6. Availability of spare parts for next 5-7 years at least.

Looking forward for all the inputs. Thanks in advance��
Not a bike person but I do keep track of whats happening in the market.
I suggest you look at the CBR 250R or the Yamaha R3! Both these bikes looks stellar and going by the track records of their stable mates, they are reasonably reliable. But I don't think any of these bikes will be able to aid your touring needs, you could wait for the RE Himalyan!

Quote:
Thanks!.......
With all due respect sir, you seem to have hijacked the thread completely, not too fair to the OP right?!?! Nothing personal against you but I would hate it if some did that on or to my thread!

Last edited by 599gto : 30th August 2015 at 22:27.
599gto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 18:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
With all due respect sir, you seem to have hijacked the thread completely, not too fair to the OP right?!?! Nothing personal against you but I would hate it if some did that on or to my thread!
Which bike threads generally are not specific to one OP and mods tend to merge new threads opened for the same query. So it is perfectly fine for one member to be actively hunting for his next bike while the OP would have probably selected and started using the bike. Just the way the mods have set it up to ensure less number of similar threads and also the seeker gets to view more responses in one single place.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 17:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
Try the dealer on Sohna Road. Can't remember the name though. You'll have to call ahead of time.

Thing is, they're not getting the 250R at all, because they all think it's getting discontinued. Not to mention that the sales were dwindling like mad.
ALL gurgaon dealers said its coming in mid October.

Finally spoke to Pragnaya honda ~35km from my house who said they have fresh pieces for display, and the old model for a test ride. This is becoming an unnecessary project!

Let's hope the local dealer (Big Swing) atleast gives me half-decent service.

Anyone else having similar issues.
Old 8th September 2015, 19:05   #65
BHPian

Quote:
ALL gurgaon dealers said its coming in mid October.

Finally spoke to Pragnaya honda ~35km from my house who said they have fresh pieces for display, and the old model for a test ride. This is becoming an unnecessary project!

Let's hope the local dealer (Big Swing) atleast gives me half-decent service.

Anyone else having similar issues.
I doubt anyone will have similar issues since everyone now knows that the new CBRs are just the same wine in a new bottle. Just get a test ride, and try to get the older colors when you book it. The new color schemes look, um, meh.
Old 15th September 2015, 10:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

I am planning of an upgrade, I owned Avenger 220 for four years which I have sold in May'15. I am looking for a bike which will be with me for next 5-7 years at least. I have a liking for faired bikes but I can consider other practical and better options. The bike will be used for a daily commute of 15-20 Kms during peak office hours and once in a month for highway ride.

Few things I am looking for:

1. Quality(Don't want to end up visiting the service center every weekend)
2. FE - Anything above 25 kmpl
3. Should hold well for 5-7 years.
4. Budget - 2.5 Lacs (Might consider increasing, if need be)
5. I am 6' 1 - Bike dimensions should go well with my height.
6. Availability of spare parts for next 5-7 years at least.

Looking forward for all the inputs. Thanks in advance😊
So what did you end up buying in the end?
Old 15th September 2015, 10:57   #67
BHPian

Quote:
So what did you end up buying in the end?
Took a test ride of classic 500 & CBR250R.

Classic 500 - Yes, I was not considering this initially but lack of options forced me to test ride this. One awesome machine, looks sexy with just one seat, pulls like anything, decent FE but -

1. Usual RE niggles are scaring me. The display bike had its front mudguard misaligned.

CBR250R - Proven and reliable machine but -

1. A normal personal can not differentiate between a CBR150 & CBR250 ABS.
2. I am scared what if I take a plunge and Honda decides to launch the new CBR.
3. I do not love this machine, but my brain says this is the most sensible choice to make.

So, am sleeping over it. I don't want to rush in and then regret later. Hopefully, Diwali should bring in some more options.
Old 15th September 2015, 11:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Classic 500 - Yes, I was not considering this initially but lack of options forced me to test ride this. One awesome machine, looks sexy with just one seat, pulls like anything, decent FE but -

1. Usual RE niggles are scaring me. The display bike had its front mudguard misaligned.

3. I do not love this machine, but my brain says this is the most sensible choice to make.

So, am sleeping over it. I don't want to rush in and then regret later. Hopefully, Diwali should bring in some more options.
Interesting. I'm thinking of hitting quikr for "test rides" and then booking with any local dealer (no TD bikes here) who'll agree to take my booking. My only worry is Honda discontinuing it - in that case it'll simply be the 390.
Old 15th September 2015, 11:21   #69
BHPian

Quote:

i see you are in Pune and we have our Bro @Majumdara in the same city. He has his Bullet 500 from Brahma motors there. Maybe good to give him a PM and call to get his opinion.

My two cents - Royal enfield has come a long way and its bikes are much better these days.
Old 15th September 2015, 17:01   #70
BHPian

The new 410 is about the 400cc mark- and with some approximate sizing the height-conscious riders wanting a RE could look into this too-
Attached Thumbnails
Which 250 - 400 cc motorcycle should I buy?-dim1500.jpg  

Old 17th October 2015, 01:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In Gurgaon, there is still zero availability of the CBR250R. I am seriously pissed with their attitude and am worried that even if I source it, they'll give me servicing nightmares later. Hence after much anguish and frustration I'm letting it go from my list - I will look to finalize the purchase of the D390 (the only other bike on my list) till Diwali (per Muhurat guidance from wife). Hope to update this thread by Diwali with a firm conclusion then.
Old 17th October 2015, 10:21   #72
BHPian

Quote:
In Gurgaon, there is still zero availability of the CBR250R. I am seriously pissed with their attitude and am worried that even if I source it, they'll give me servicing nightmares later. Hence after much anguish and frustration I'm letting it go from my list - I will look to finalize the purchase of the D390 (the only other bike on my list) till Diwali (per Muhurat guidance from wife). Hope to update this thread by Diwali with a firm conclusion then.
Very sad state of affairs. Anyway, why not take the Mojo for a spin? It ticks your requirement boxes.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 00:14   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hope to update this thread by Diwali with a firm conclusion then.
Heck, looks like i am not the only one facing this dilemma!

Background:

To give readers some perspective, currently riding a not so gracefully aging 9 year old Unicorn. Odo reads 30.5K and the engine has started acting funny. Timing chain replaced, head overhauled, packing gone kaput. Even Piston will need replacement after 3k-4k kms(as adviced by number of mechanics and tinge of white fumes from silencer). Bike has lost its renowned smoothness ever since the engine has been opened.

Primary criteria:
+ Sales job requires lot of traveling, should have good low end torque
+ Reliability
+ Riding comfort for rider and pillion, daily minimum riding ~25-30km

Test rode number of bikes

CBR250R-

+Smooth absorbent ride
+Coming from a unicorn, riding stance was great.
+looked like a brilliant tourer that can cruise all day long in higher double digit speeds all day long
+did not know how to describe it, felt just the kind of bike i need
-Ill informed Service assistants, only one showroom had clue of latest stickered version reaching them next week. Looks like they are happy selling activas and shine
- Heard recent 2015(2016?) version launched with twin headlamps and marginal bump in power

Outcome: Shortlisted!

TBTS 500
+ That torque, pulls like a locomotive
+ Passable gear shifts quality, did not encounter false neutrals
+ readily available (atleast in Raipur, Chattisgarh)
- Vibrations everywhere! Looked like speedo console and mirrors will fall off one day
- questionable long term reliability of the bullet
- took some time getting used to the riding position

Outcome: Lil pricey, no offense to owners, bulls still have along way to go before coming close to NVH levels of their jap counter parts

TBTS 350
+ Within my targeted price range
+ Good ride quality
- Had difficulty finding neutral
- Vibes, though a little less than its bigger brother

Continental GT
+ Lovely looks
+ Lovely PSDs, crisp brembo brakes, great paioli shocks
- Vibrations
- Hands felt numb after riding it for 3-4 kms

R15s
+ Smooth gearbox and precise gear shifts
+ Alas, proper seat for rider and pillion
- Forward stance puts too much pressure on wrists
- Needs to be revved hard to enjoy the ride

Yet to test ride Duke siblings, Let us hope, they turn out to be a pretty surprise.
Members kindly advice, not able to make up my mind. Service centers and FNGs are no good, they have not been able to fix my unicorn to perfection. Need to replace Uni with a new ride within 2-3 months or 6 months at the max.

P.S. Mojo not considered because of short pillion seat, questionable reliability and A.S.S.
Old 19th October 2015, 11:27   #74
BHPian

The requirement of not visiting service center often pretty much puts the cgt and the dukes out of contention.
A cbr makes the most sense. Though the R3 and the N300 are more potent, being ckds make them unnecessarily exexpensive to maintain.
Also if you are kind of person who believe in a leap of faith, you might consider the Mojo as well. I know I would.

Last edited by Sojogator : 19th October 2015 at 11:28.
Old 19th October 2015, 11:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
Heck, looks like i am not the only one facing this dilemma[b]!
Add me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
To give readers some perspective, currently riding a not so gracefully aging 9 year old Unicorn. Odo reads 30.5K and the engine has started acting funny. Timing chain replaced, head overhauled, packing gone kaput. Even Piston will need replacement after 3k-4k kms(as adviced by number of mechanics and tinge of white fumes from silencer). Bike has lost its renowned smoothness ever since the engine has been opened.
Pretty much in the same boat. Mine 8 years old and have done close to 90 K, changed the valve heads 5 times and head piston once.

Was hoping for the upgraded CBR250r during the Honda Revfest but nothing happened except new sticker job. R3 is way out of budget by miles and Mojo not yet launched in Hyderabad even to have a glimpse. Not sure if i will end up with an upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks