Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Navi: A scooter disguised as a bike

For me, a Honda Navi is really a scooter.

Let's see the advantages of a scooter:
1. Gearless transmission
2. Lots of space to carry stuff (small shopping etc).

Now coming to the advantages of a (100cc) motorcycle:
1. Much better ride quality.
2. Predictable handling.
3. Fuel efficient and better performance.

Now, did Navi achieve any of the advantages of a 100cc motorcycle? I don't think so. Atleast, they should have had a proper monoshock like the Unicorn's which would have solved a major pain point of the scooters - horrible ride quality. I'd rather buy something like a scooter instead of a Navi because the scooter offers more versatility in carrying luggage.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 12:20   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
For me, a Honda Navi is really a scooter.

Let's see the advantages of a scooter:
1. Gearless transmission
2. Lots of space to carry stuff (small shopping etc).

Now coming to the advantages of a (100cc) motorcycle:
1. Much better ride quality.
2. Predictable handling.
3. Fuel efficient and better performance.

Now, did Navi achieve any of the advantages of a 100cc motorcycle? I don't think so. Atleast, they should have had a proper monoshock like the Unicorn's which would have solved a major pain point of the scooters - horrible ride quality. I'd rather buy something like a scooter instead of a Navi because the scooter offers more versatility in carrying luggage.
Perfectly summarised. Being an Activa owner, I do not see any advantage with Navi and it is not that Activa is the ultimate two wheeler comfort package. Given what a 100cc motorcycle offers in terms of pure comfort & handling, this new segment Honda is trying to create could only be to cannibalize the scooter market share from younger new bikes who want a 'scooty' alternative. It is definitely not to address the issues of small tires, bad handling or weak shock absorbers of activa. And I think for that it will be Aprilia SR150, at least I hope!
Old 4th April 2016, 13:57   #48
BHPian

Somehow Honda Navi reminds me of a under powered Bajaj Sunny in olden days.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well at the rate this is going. It could be a good pre-owned option.
Probably a 2nd or a 3rd bike in the house and it could be made into a good project bike too.
So iam guessing we will see these in the preowned market very soon. May be a couple of months down the line we could get them for as low as 20k.
Old 4th April 2016, 18:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Which vehicle drops 50% or more of its value in a couple of months?! Did you mean to say couple of years?
Old 4th April 2016, 18:50   #51
BHPian

The bike market is still skewed towards the motorcycles, with 100cc bikes offering good mileage making most sales.
The general public who want a standard bike, at good mileage will buy just that. They would not be convinced with a gearless scooter disguised as a bike. Similarly, potential buyers of 150cc + would also go for their pulsars and unicorns.
Talking about the scooter buyers - the major reason the typical buyers go for it is because of it convenience, open front area to help women get out of it easily and also for grocery shopping.
This bike/scooter is funky of course, but would not find any space in the market as it satisfies none of the above. Just for the fresh looks, and an interesting concept, it might attract some college kids, but the buying will end there.
To me, this product seems dead on arrival. But we should congratulate Honda for taking this step in bringing interesting products!

Last edited by hybridpetrol : 4th April 2016 at 18:55.
Old 5th April 2016, 02:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
The bike market is still skewed towards the motorcycles, with 100cc bikes offering good mileage making most sales.
The general public who want a standard bike, at good mileage will buy just that. They would not be convinced with a gearless scooter disguised as a bike. Similarly, potential buyers of 150cc + would also go for their pulsars and unicorns.
Talking about the scooter buyers - the major reason the typical buyers go for it is because of it convenience, open front area to help women get out of it easily and also for grocery shopping.
This bike/scooter is funky of course, but would not find any space in the market as it satisfies none of the above. Just for the fresh looks, and an interesting concept, it might attract some college kids, but the buying will end there.
To me, this product seems dead on arrival. But we should congratulate Honda for taking this step in bringing interesting products!
Pretty analysis you made there, but you failed to pick up on a few facts:

1. it is a Honda (legendary brand reputation) for about 50k on road.
2. it ought to ride better than a typical scooter
3. the youngsters you mentioned as the target audience, actually consist of the largest demographic

Things unfortunately are not so black and white. You cannot compare it to a bike and then to a scooter and see what advantages it holds over the two. The Navi has got the X-factor for a really cheap price with no compromise on brand value. Sometimes that is all it takes. If quad bikes were locally manufactured, you wouldn't start comparing them to dirt bikes and then to jeeps would you?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th April 2016 at 02:55.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 06:15   #53
BHPian

Guess what. I had a surprise visit from Honda yesterday and they delivered my Honda Navi - Black amidst a lot of fan fair at home. I was one of the 6 chosen customers in Bangalore to receive the bike. They even had an RJ from Red FM who asked a few questions about the bike. Overall thrilled with the experience.
Coming to the bike itself, the ride feels fantastic. It's very nimble, ultra light and easy to ride. I am very satisfied with the way the bike rides and looks.

Some key observations which might help potential buyers.
- Speedo looks very dated. Does not belong to this bike.
- There is no engine kill switch
- There is no central locking available.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.
hellraizer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 11:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
Guess what. I had a surprise visit from Honda yesterday and they delivered my Honda Navi - Black amidst a lot of fan fair at home. I was one of the 6 chosen customers in Bangalore to receive the bike. They even had an RJ from Red FM who asked a few questions about the bike. Overall thrilled with the experience.
Coming to the bike itself, the ride feels fantastic. It's very nimble, ultra light and easy to ride. I am very satisfied with the way the bike rides and looks.

Some key observations which might help potential buyers.
- Speedo looks very dated. Does not belong to this bike.
- There is no central locking available.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Congratulations on your new toy.

But what is a post like this without a few pictures? Put up some pictures and bring up an ownership review in a separate thread.
Old 10th April 2016, 12:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess what. I had a surprise visit from Honda yesterday and they delivered my Honda Navi - Black amidst a lot of fan fair at home. I was one of the 6 chosen customers in Bangalore to receive the bike.
Congratulations. Pictures Please. Does this mean that deliveries will start across India? There is not even a display bike here in my hometown.

Last edited by samaspire : 10th April 2016 at 12:37.
Old 10th April 2016, 12:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Congratulations on your new toy.

But what is a post like this without a few pictures? Put up some pictures and bring up an ownership review in a separate thread.
Thank you. Will be adding a few pictures. I don't think I will be doing justice to a new ownership thread as I am not very active in the forum. Please ask specific questions, if you have any. I will be more than happy to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Congratulations. Pictures Please. Does this mean that deliveries will start across India? There is not even a display bike here in my hometown.
Thanks. Deliveries should start across India soon. The initial launch is only in 4 cities across India and Bangalore is one of them. Please check with your dealer whether it is going to be launched in your city.
I will take some more pictures today and post them. Patience please
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Navi: A scooter disguised as a bike-img20160409wa0019.jpg  

Honda Navi: A scooter disguised as a bike-img20160409wa0011.jpg  

hellraizer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 13:32   #57
BHPian

I saw one today in HSR layout. It was grey-white colour.
Unfortunately, two persons(mostly mechanics from the service centre) on Navi were ripping it apart... The didn't even slow down on the speed bump... The pillion was flung up a good height. And they both had a good laugh!
The exhaust was non impressive to say the least.

Also it looked puny with 2 lean built folks riding it.
Old 10th April 2016, 17:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Has the Navi hit showrooms yet? The urge to test drive this comical little thing is a lot right now!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 22:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course it's a Honda commuter after all..

Jokes aside, got to know that the Navi gets Number plates, Side Stand as Assessories .. that too at ridiculous pricing. Is it true?

Old 11th April 2016, 17:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Jokes aside, got to know that the Navi gets Number plates, Side Stand as Assessories .. that too at ridiculous pricing. Is it true?
Not sure of the pricing but Honda has always charged for Number Plates, Side Stand, Foot Rest as accessories. At least they were charging for these items when we got the Dio in 2009. They have probably carried it on to the Navi as well.

Have yet to see a Navi on the road. Not sure if they have started booking/deliveries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks