Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 11:27   #16
BHPian

re: Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

Were these bikes brand new? How did the dealer manage to hold on to them for so long without there being a decay in the seals and other rubber parts?

I own a RX135 I bought brand new in the year 2000 and have tried to maintain it as well as I could. I wonder how much it would be worth if I chose to sell it. I bought a Bullet 350 Classic in November 2015 and haven't been riding the Yamaha much since then.

Last edited by renegade004 : 7th April 2016 at 11:46.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:35   #17
BHPian

re: Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I thought selling brand new two stroke bikes was banned in our country? Further, these bikes surely don't meet the current emission norms to be allowed to register as well.
These new bikes can be cannibalized as spare for existing bike which need these spares but retaining the frame (legal way) or in some cases refitting the license plate of already registered bike there (illegal!!)
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

I would pay that much for a RX100 than the RX135. The 5 speed was good but nothing close to the Rx100 when it comes to feel, comfort and the sweet mother of sound.

I have my relatives KB two stroke which i am planning to get it done instead of probably buying a new KTM now
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
What I am curious to know is that if the dealer held on to the bikes for so long, how are the new owners going to register these bikes, as its going to get registered for the first time (unless the dealer had already registered them earlier and that makes them a secondhand purchase at least on paper)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
These new bikes can be cannibalized as spare for existing bike which need these spares but retaining the frame (legal way) or in some cases refitting the license plate of already registered bike there (illegal!!)
These were neither registered earlier, illegally registered or cannibalized.

Quote:
His passion for racing was the reason the dealer retained seven new bikes for his team. But as the racing scene in the city faced a setback with complaints being registered against bikers and police beginning to act against them, the dealer was left with no option but to keep these bikes idle in his warehouse. "In 2013, I planned to sell of these bikes, but the road transport office had stopped registering new two-stroke bikes and to get them registered we had to approach the court," said Rahul.

Meanwhile, his showroom on Infantry Road had to be shifted as the lease of the building got over by January 2015. It was during this time that the owner of the showroom approached the court to hasten the proceedings.

"By the end of 2015, I finally got permission to register the vehicles, but was sceptical of them finding buyers. One of my friends posted on Facebook about the availability of seven Rx 135s and within hours the post went viral. The number of hits went so high that he had to pull down the post from his Facebook page," he said.
Source: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/51502327.cms
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:54   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What a bunch of fools whoever bought those bikes at such a high price!!
To some, there's a $$$ value attached to time. Not everyone has the time or inclination to go bike & part hunting. The Yamaha RX100 / 135 was a legend. It was a classic. To many of us, it was the bike we rode to college. 1.5 lakhs is hardly anything for an enjoyable ride & the feeling of nostalgia.

You'll see a similar trend with other iconic vehicles too. With old vehicles, there is no wrong price. Whatever the buyer & seller agree upon is the 'right' price.

If I wanted an RX100, I'd happily pay 1.5 lakhs to own one today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
Nostalgia indeed and many great memories as Rx 100 was my first and only motor cycle.
Same here . And mine got flicked too . The sound in this video will take you back in time:

GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:54   #21
BHPian

"By the end of 2015, I finally got permission to register the vehicles, but was sceptical of them finding buyers. "

How can a vehicle be registered which does not comply with the emission norms?
Will this vehicle be registered as new or old ?

Mods:Kindly remove this post if you find this violates any rules.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

In my honest opinion, i have never experienced the essence of RX series bikes in any other 4 stokes till date.

Many people say that the Duke is the spiritual successor to the RX. But i did not feel it that way. There is no replacement for that raw 2 stroke feel.

By the way, i was always a bit curious to know what are the key differences between RX 100 & 135 (displacement aside). Does any one has some facts handy?
During our college days, many guys somehow liked the RX100 more than the 135. I never quite understood why. Can anyone share some light on this?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Not everyone can build a bike from scratch
If you had told me this about 8 years ago, I would've happily agreed; having cheated by several mechanics, instead of fighting with them, I turned the anger positively towards my self learning. End result? I hand built my own Rx right at my home.

My only advice & pity towards some folks who say they cannot do; because, if an illiterate can work on motorcycles, then, its only an insult calling ourselves as passionate, enthusiast, probably not putting our education right. My statement is not an insult, but to say that do not underestimate the power within you, if they can do it, so can we & its no rocket science to rebuild (not engineer or re-engineer) a single cylinder 2S motorcycle.

If not build...atleast, get to know the basics, buy spares & supervise the person who builds it rather than yielding to day robbery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To some, there's a $$$ value attached to time...wrong price. Whatever the buyer & seller agree upon is the 'right' price.
Yes; like they say Bill Gates doesn't pick up $5 bill he dropped as he makes more than that per second instead of wasting his time to pick up one!! For such people, yes, there's $$$ attached to time.

And like I said above, a true passionate person will definitely find time especially in the modern days; forget RDD, even a mere browse through TBhp will get anyone immense resources, if not educated fully, but will impart some sense to them as the worthiness on what they're spending upon.

Last edited by aargee : 7th April 2016 at 13:22.
aargee is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:41   #24
BHPian

I bought my RX135 in June of 2005, after hearing that its production had stopped, because I felt I would never get an opportunity to buy a new 135, a bike that I had admired and adored as a kid. The dealer had a RXZ 5-speed at his disposal for which he was demanding a 1.2 lac figure back in 2005. In the end, I heard it was sold at the price he quoted. My bike's still in demand and I'm not giving it to my own brother who's offering me 45k . No wonder if a new one (well, at least unused) sells at 1.5 lac now!
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

The RX 100 was good. The other RX series were OK, they feel good only due to nostalgia. The present FZ series can do whatever the RX series can, much better.

I would pay maybe 25k for an RX100 for nostalgia. At the prices being currently bandied about, I would not touch it, leave alone the others in the same series, even with a bargepole.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 14:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you had told me this about 8 years ago, I would've happily agreed; having cheated by several mechanics, instead of fighting with them, I turned the anger positively towards my self learning. End result? I hand built my own Rx right at my home.

My only advice & pity towards some folks who say they cannot do; because, if an illiterate can work on motorcycles, then, its only an insult calling ourselves as passionate, enthusiast, probably not putting our education right. My statement is not an insult, but to say that do not underestimate the power within you, if they can do it, so can we & its no rocket science to rebuild (not engineer or re-engineer) a single cylinder 2S motorcycle.

If not build...atleast, get to know the basics, buy spares & supervise the person who builds it rather than yielding to day robbery.

Yes; like they say Bill Gates doesn't pick up $5 bill he dropped as he makes more than that per second instead of wasting his time to pick up one!! For such people, yes, there's $$$ attached to time.

And like I said above, a true passionate person will definitely find time especially in the modern days; forget RDD, even a mere browse through TBhp will get anyone immense resources, if not educated fully, but will impart some sense to them as the worthiness on what they're spending upon.
. You are right sir. I adore every single word you have said in your post and I follow the same mantra as you do. I build and re-build things myself. And I am a mechanical engineer so I am good at that. The end results of the work is nothing short of extraordinary for me. At the end of the day, I go to bed proud to have done something, happy to have done exactly to my taste and requirements and contempt for having a mechanical sympathy which the mechanics do not have.

I have heard people telling me that you can never get the factory fitting and finish in your work. It is true for a road-side mechanic. But for a disciplined loving person of his things, you can get pretty darn close to factory if you do it carefully.

The bikes must be mainly bought by investors who want to enjoy 2stroke for some time and then sell it for the money they have purchased it for because obviously, the future value of these vehicles will be higher. Or by the people who have a lot of money but no time to do anything that is related to life. For these people, having a small burst of nostalgia for a certain lump of cash is justifiable.

i don't think a true enthusiast would buy one new because he knows at the back of his head that he can build one for lesser money and with his own hands making the experience even more enjoyable. As for availability of parts, there are always xyz companies which provide spares. They might not have the same quality or fitting as OEM. But we can get around and make it fit like OEM.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would have bought this if I knew in advance, I never had a chance to buy them new, especially since money during these days were a big issue. I do have 7 bikes now, 6 RX and 1 RD, I don't say no to owning a new bike even today.

Do my folks thing I am crazy?
Of course they do, but they now understand how important these bikes are for me from a passion point of view.

Everyone might not understand the emotions of a RX enthusiast, even to this date Kerala has more Yamahas that crows in the sky, the bullets are slowly catching up but that's a different story. Even though owning a Yamaha RX doesn't guarantee exclusivity but nostalgia sells, I would die to go back in time with 60K and buy a brand new RXZ 5 speed during college days, but that doesn't happen so, these used bike and their restoration satisfies our cravings.

OT: like old days today again these bike are frowned upon by the cops, due to their ease of breaking in(theft) and using for crimes such as chain snatching however a middle aged rider like me are never stopped for checking since they know, we cant do anything crazy even if we wanted to

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 16:17   #28
BHPian

Having owned a 1987 model RX100 for a couple of years and sold it later (I still regret the decision of selling it), I can say that its not too crazy a decision to get a new one at around 1.5L. We can now only dream about the explosive power delivery of two strokes. Happy riding for those who bought them.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 15:47. Reason: Typos
lovetorque is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th April 2016, 17:02   #29
BHPian

The price does not surprise me at all. I recently did some major work on my RX-135 to bring it to pristine condition and in the few weeks it was at the mechanic, he got multiple offers for the bike and one of the offers was 1.1 lakh for a bike that was rusting in many places and the engine made horrible rattling noises. People would see the bike and they would stop and ask if it is for sale. After a while, the mechanic parked it at his home when it was not being worked on.

I am going to enjoy the bike for now and see what happens to the cost in 10 years time
tracerspiff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 17:06   #30
BHPian

Am really interested in knowing the RTO registration process of these bikes. The article quotes the court order et all, but would be a curious case that can serve as foundation in future.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 7th April 2016 at 17:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks