Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 09:31   #91

re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
1. What's the mileage you are getting ?
2. You had earlier said alloy with drum brakes don't go well. Did you mean from a appearance wise or function wise ?

I am confused between activa 4g and activa 125. Which one you would have gone for if you had that choice now ?

My primary concern will be mileage, availability of spares in the Long run and low-cost of maintenance

Do you still have this issue ?
Yes I am Still Facing the noise issue. Dealer said it may be tappet noise, and is not a serious one. I also asked my local mechanic and he said it is okay. Not to worry.
The mileage im getting is around 25kmpl to 30kmpl.Due to riding in traffic and excessive use of accelerator as the place where i live has steep inclines. However i feel i should have gone in for access 125, because honda service is not at all good. Reliability of Hondas engine remains to be seen. I took the activa 125 just because i liked the look. I did not like Activa's looks somehow.
rayvonnee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 17:46   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvonnee View Post
Sir Can You Please Upload a video of your activa 125 when it is idling. Would like to just compare the sound. Sorry to bother you.
Sorry Sir, missed your post somehow. Here's the recording (it is zipped file that I am uploading)

The scooter was ridden only for 2.6 kms before recording this so the engine isn't at operating temperature.

Activa 125 Idling.zip

Quote:

1. What's the mileage you are getting ?
Haven't checked on every tank but I remember getting 47 - 48.6 kmpl on the scooter.

Quote:
2. You had earlier said alloy with drum brakes don't go well. Did you mean from a appearance wise or function wise ?
Appearance wise is what I meant. For me Disc + Alloys is what matches, drum + Alloy combination, i don't like it much.

Quote:
I am confused between activa 4g and activa 125. Which one you would have gone for if you had that choice now ?
Activa 125.

Quote:
My primary concern will be mileage, availability of spares in the Long run and low-cost of maintenance
Spares not an issue.

I do the servicing myself outside. Have stopped visiting ASC after 1st service.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 18:37   #93
BHPian

In many forums, I have found that the mileage reported for the activa 125 is in the range of 35-40. I am unable to decide between buying the activa 125 (primarily because of its improved suspension support) or the tvs jupiter.

Practicality says jupiter but heart is stuck on activa 125. But mileage is also equally important for me.

I am looking to buy a 2 wheeler primarily for my home-office commute and for some grocery shopping. The overall kms/day that I expect to use the scooter should not be more than 35 kms.

I have been using a pulsar but because of back pain, I am considering moving to a scooter that would not require to carry the laptop on my back and would be easy for small errands.

Considering this to be my usage, what would be the best scooter to buying considering the ASS, mileage and comfort?

I know I have dumped in a lot of questions, but I have to finalize on a 2 wheeler shortly and hence looking for some advice. Or would it be better to again buy a bike (say a honda shine?)

Thanks.
Old 9th July 2017, 20:33   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post

I have been using a pulsar but because of back pain, I am considering moving to a scooter that would not require to carry the laptop on my back and would be easy for small errands.

Considering this to be my usage, what would be the best scooter to buying considering the ASS, mileage and comfort?

Thanks.
I have a pulsar 150 for 12 years, except for that horrendous seat with minimum support (even Discover and Platina had better seats) its been a flawless experience.I bought a Jupiter thinking it will save me from back pains but to tell you the truth no scooter can match the suspension and comfort of a bike. I feel more backpain after driving Jupiter than I get after driving pulsar over similar stretch. That's my experience. Please confirm with others before taking the plunge.
Old 11th July 2017, 19:05   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
In many forums, I have found that the mileage reported for the activa 125 is in the range of 35-40. I am unable to decide between buying the activa 125 (primarily because of its improved suspension support) or the tvs jupiter.

Practicality says jupiter but heart is stuck on activa 125. But mileage is also equally important for me.

I am looking to buy a 2 wheeler primarily for my home-office commute and for some grocery shopping. The overall kms/day that I expect to use the scooter should not be more than 35 kms.

I know I have dumped in a lot of questions, but I have to finalize on a 2 wheeler shortly and hence looking for some advice. Or would it be better to again buy a bike (say a honda shine?)

Thanks.
Don't ever consider replacing a motorcycle with a scooter for 'comfort' reason. Any motorcycle any day is comfortable than any scooter. Scooters have small wheels and relatively poor suspensions hence they can never match up with a bike. I ride a Activa 125 and a Honda Hornet. Over Kolkata's bad and undulated roads the Activa is no match against the Hornet.

However the new Aprilia 150SR will have a better ride due to 14" wheels and robust suspension set up.

I strongly believe the kind of roads we have in India, 10 inch, even 12inch wheels are disaster and very unsafe. Manufacturers should seriously look at bringing out scooters with at least 14 inch wheel size. But sadly small wheeled scooters are selling in millions and nobody is bothered.
Old 12th July 2017, 12:21   #96
BHPian

The Activa was my choice too but was really upset with Honda's unpleasant service quality and the chaos at the service centers. I did my research and found out that the Suzuki Access 125 is actually a better buy.

Bought it in April. Splendid ride quality and gives a good mileage of about 48-52 Kmpl when ridden under 60 Kmph. It has a smooth engine, decent suspension for changing road surfaces and accelerates better than most of the scooters I have ridden.

Suzuki service isn't all that great but their service centers are less crowded.
Old 15th July 2017, 22:52   #97
BANNED

Got this bulb for the Activa 125 (Thanks to BHPian CarLoverJosh) for the link to the product during the sale on Amazon.in.

Shall be installing the bulb tomorrow afternoon or evening. Hope it brightens the road up ahead.

Specifications:

Manufacturer Name: Osram
Product Name: Rallye
Bulb type: HS1
Voltage: 12V
Wattage: 45/40W

I Paid: ₹ 89

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20170715_141007.jpg

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20170715_141049.jpg

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20170715_141056.jpg

Link: http://www.amazon.in/Osram-Halogen-62185RL-Exterior-Headlight/dp/B01IDF979I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_ =oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 14:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

Activa 125 with Alloys and drum brakes is about 73500 Rs. on road in Pune with basic accessories which are not optional.
Dealers are charging about 700 as handling charges.
Old 31st March 2018, 08:35   #99

Every morning while startup is choke required? Once choke is pulled up and after idling for 10-15 seconds, once choke is turned off, do we need to accelerate a little to keep the scooter from switching off? Because as i leave the accelerator my activa 125 shuts down. Once the scooter is run for around 2-3 kms then it doesn't turn off? Is this behavior normal? Does it happen to all scooters?
Old 31st March 2018, 09:07   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Every morning while startup is choke required?
Yes. Choke + kick start is what I follow.

Quote:
Once choke is pulled up and after idling for 10-15 seconds, once choke is turned off, do we need to accelerate a little to keep the scooter from switching off?
Yes. Need to give a mild accelerator input for a while.

Quote:
Is this behavior normal? Does it happen to all scooters?
I've seen this behaviour in Activa mainly.

No idea of other scooters.
Old 31st March 2018, 09:20   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes. Choke + kick start is what I follow.

Yes. Need to give a mild accelerator input for a while.

I've seen this behaviour in Activa mainly.

No idea of other scooters.
Thanks for the quick reply.
My activa 125 is run very less. Its 1 year and Only 1800 kms till now, and my last free service is due this week. Do you recommend visiting the authorized service center for service and getting oil changed, as my activa is doing fine. At what intervals do you service your activa?
Insurance too has to be renewed. ICICI Lombard is charging Rs. 1933/- without Zero Dep. With IDV of Rs. 53000/- and Bharti AXA is Rs. 1250/- for the same IDV. Is there any plus point of going with ICICI?
Old 31st March 2018, 10:54   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Do you recommend visiting the authorized service center for service and getting oil changed, as my activa is doing fine. At what intervals do you service your activa?
I visited the Honda ASC only for the first free service and never after that. Hate visiting the ASC.

I do the oil and filter change myself. I get the filter from Honda spares and do the changes. I change oil every 1 year irrespective of the kms driven. If there is excessive usage, I change it at 6 months duration.

Regarding insurance, I went with New India Assurance, same as the when the scooter was purchased.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st March 2018 at 11:23.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:14   #103
BANNED

SERVICING DONE

Been a long time that the scooter was serviced (AFAIK it was done an year back).

Issues faced so far:
  • Starting trouble (First start of the day)
  • Sticky accelerator feel
  • Engine idling and roughness

7,700 kms read the odometer and it has been idle than being ridden. The transmission oil, secondary air filter etc was never opened or cleaned hence did the same today.

Got the following changed:
  • Engine Oil - Shell Advance 4T AX7 (10W40)
  • Transmission Oil
  • Accelerator Cable
  • Air Filter
  • Spark Plug

Shell Advance 4T AX7 (10W40)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-shell-engine-oil.jpg

Secondary Air filter condition after 7,700 kms
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20180703_190513.jpg

Costs incurred:

Engine Oil: ₹355
Air Filter: ₹180
Accelerator Cable: ₹325
Spark Plug: ₹70
Labour: ₹250

Net Total: ₹1,180

Drove almost 70 kms after the service and I am happy that the scooter is back in shape. She is smooth, responsive, silent and clean idling. The only and main issue with the scooter currently is the speedometer needle dancing.

Got the sensor checked but the mechanic was not sure if it is the sensor at the rear faulty or something is wrong in the instrumentation console. Shall be taking the scooter to the Honda ASC to find out what the issue is.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 08:55   #104
BHPian

Starting trouble is mostly caused by a very lean set carburetor from the dealership or the factory. This is done to pass emission norms and is detrimental to engine health.
I strongly recommend slightly re-tuning the carburetor for a balanced A/F mixture which automatically eliminates cold start and rough-idling.
Changing the spark plug every 8-10k Kms is also a good practice.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:29   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Got this bulb for the Activa 125 (Thanks to BHPian CarLoverJosh) for the link to the product during the sale on Amazon.in.

Shall be installing the bulb tomorrow afternoon or evening. Hope it brightens the road up ahead.

Specifications:

Manufacturer Name: Osram
Product Name: Rallye
Bulb type: HS1
Voltage: 12V
Wattage: 45/40W

I Paid: ₹ 89
Thank you for the link, this was something I've been looking for, the shops aren't even aware of the fact that HS1 is available in 45/40.

Got 3 for myself paying 400/- in total, 120/bulb and 40 shipping.

The main reason for me going for a H4/HS1 headlight conversion on my CT100B was to go for something better than the stock BA20D 35/35's.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks