Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 20:52   #46
BHPian

re: Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold

Congrats @a4anurag for your new acquisition!!

The review, along with the buying experience is good and complete. Although, I've bought the same Vehicle a year back, never took time off to write a review.

Thanks for the review!
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 00:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Aprilia SR 150 is ready for launch. Do you want to wait till then?
Sorry missed your post earlier. I wouldn't really want to wait for 2 reasons. Firstly, I need a 2 wheeler immediately before the home front changes her mind.
Secondly, I am always hesitant to buy a brand new product within the first 6 months. I think that is the time the manufacturers use the customers as guinea pigs and then makes changes to the product to make it perfect.

Keeping those aside the SR 150 is definitely a looker and am sure will be great. If it had been already in the market, it would have been at the top of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Excellent decision. Congratulations. Do update the booking details on The I Booked my Motorbike/Scooter" Thread. You can get its link in my ownership thread or check the Motorcycles section.
Thank you. I have updated the thread.

Quote:
Eh.. Are you sure?

Here it is instant delivery in any color be it Activa 3G or 125. Lots of stock in the yard.
I didn't go to the showroom. I had called them. I wanted the top end one in white which supposedly was not available. STD was, however I guess I was not that interested in Activa. After a test ride of the Jupiter I was pretty happy with it and liked the all black theme. If white was available for Jupiter MillionR I would have taken it for the discs. But they had only 2 color options, that too with a combination of Beige plastics. Not something that I am fond of at all.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 30th June 2016 at 00:47.
Old 30th June 2016, 11:53   #48
BHPian

On every low light out I would always think whether my lights are on or not.
I would rate the light throw of my honda unicorn next to pathetic, Unless its dead dark you can hardly tell between.
With the new bulb the focus has vanished, I am yet to figure out where the light is falling, certainly not on the road and not the tree/sky lighting kinda, yes it does light up the back of the rider or pillion in front, only if i get too close (I always do this just to make sure if it’s on).
I might need to adjust the headlight leveler, a little lower.
Another point I noticed is 'Rally moto 40w' is shorter in length to the older one, may be this could alter the reflections/deflections all around it.
The motorcycle is still with the mech, been a week (95k km, nearing 10 years)
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:05   #49
Team-BHP Support

Checked my Activa in for first free service (service interval is a maximum of 1000kms/1month). I had done 183 just shy of a month.

Oil change: I asked them to change the engine oil. Another customer asked the SA not to do on her Activa i, and he obliged. But given that this is the first service, I wanted to get the oil flushed

Headlight adjustment: to get it point more towards the road than the horizon. Will check at night for effectivity.

General checkup and wash. Brakes seem to be tightened and engine idling adjusted just a bit.

Overall cost, Rs. 370.

The scooter feels a tad bit smoother now; could just be in my mind.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:10   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Checked my Activa in for first free service (service interval is a maximum of 1000kms/1month). I had done 183 just shy of a month.
My scooter is at 380 kms as of now. Another 8 days to go for service and its 1 month completion with me.

Quote:
Oil change: I asked them to change the engine oil. Another customer asked the SA not to do on her Activa i, and he obliged. But given that this is the first service, I wanted to get the oil flushed
Is it 10W30 that these guys use as OEM for oil change?

Quote:
Headlight adjustment: to get it point more towards the road than the horizon. Will check at night for effectivity.
Can you take any pictures post adjustment?

Quote:
Engine idling adjusted just a bit.
Can you just check on how did they adjust the idling? Hope they have not messed with the Carb setting.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:18   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it 10W30 that these guys use as OEM for oil change?
I couldn't be at the service station while it was being serviced, so I cannot be sure.

But as the attached bill shows, it is 10W30.

Quote:
Can you take any pictures post adjustment?
I haven't got the chance to, it is raining continuously all day so haven't ventured out. Soon.

Quote:
Can you just check on how did they adjust the idling? Hope they have not messed with the Carb setting.
The Activa had a problem with the idling speed at the time of delivery; it was set too low so would shut down unless was accelerated. Then, they had lifted to rear body and adjusted a valve using a screw. I'd assume they did the same now. Can't know if they touched the carb.

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_2242.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 13:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Eh.. Are you sure?
Left is the stock bulb that came along with honda unicorn
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-a2.jpg
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-a3.jpg
sulivan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 00:13   #53
BANNED

FIRST SERVICE UPDATE - 05.07.2016

Got the first service done today with 5 days from the Activa being one month old.

Service Type: 1st Free Service
First Service Duration: 1000 kms or 1 Month from date of purchase
Purchase Date: 10.06.2016
Service Date: 05.07.2016
Odometer at Service: 380 kms
Bill Amount (Approx): ₹ 450
Problems Reported: Headlight Shadow issue and Vibrations at Idle
Service Centre: Raam Honda, Tadbund, Hyderabad.

Service Bill
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-untitled.jpg

On the 29th June, I had raised a complaint on the Honda Website regarding the shadow problem that I facing when I use the lights on Low Beam specifically. To which I got a call on the 2nd July asking me to get the scooter for inspection which I replied saying I'll be getting it on 5th as I need to get the first service done for which they agreed.

As it was the first service and nothing much is there to do, they took 2 hours to do the job including Washing (2 times as it was raining heavily and the scooter got soiled when it was parked at the delivery area). Actual time is almost 1.5 hours from start to end.

Reached the ASC at 14:30 and gave the scooter first for service. They opened the job card with these two problems specifically mentioned and I was stern that I will be present during the problem rectification. Got the scooter after service at 17:00.

Things done:
  1. Engine Oil change
  2. Gear Oil Change
  3. Consumables
  4. New Drain bolt washer
  5. Battery Spray
  6. Brakes tightening

Post Service Feel:

Engine post oil & gear oil change is feeling butter smooth and phenomenal to ride. Brakes are too tight and it was adjusted such that I almost tripped. I got down and re-adjusted a bit to have some travel of lever. There used to be a vibration initially and some hesitation but it has disappeared now with throttle response even smooth and instant.
__________________________________________________ __________

Coming to complaints (Read problems) that I highlighted, the customer relations manager was present all throughout. Initially it was brushed off saying it is normal where I had to put my foot down asking them to show me other Activa 125's in the ASC. I told if they had the same issue I'll take back my complaint to which they obliged and got 6 keys of other ones.

Result: 3 out of 6 had the shadow but the rest were normal. I was relieved that God is on my side. They were now confused so they asked to come to their yard where there are some more 125's stored. They checked one of them and it was found normal.

I asked them the step forward and is there a possibility of getting replacement under warranty?! The Manager went inside to speak to his superior with some photos that I had taken during the testing. Post the Manager's discussion on what is to be done, He came out saying that he got instructions to replace the Reflector unit F.O.C (Free of Cost) under warranty. I was happy with the decision and outcome.

Post the reflector unit change, I am happy with the throw and output of the current unit. I find the lighting to be brighter and sharper. Since I was going for a Warranty related job work, i had reverted to Phoenix bulbs (OEM) rather than Osram Silverstar that i was using.

Closed the complaint formally and left with the vehicle with all smiles.

Here are some pictures:

Low Beam Shadow that I had a problem off
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-osram-low-beam.jpg

Checking new Activa 125's at Yard
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-yard.jpg

Replaced the new Activa's reflector with mine and checked again (One on right side is mine with new reflector whereas the one on Left is New Activa with my Defective Reflector. See the shadow on the left pointed with arrow)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160705_174920.jpg

Reflector Change: Before vs After
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-before-vs-after.jpg

Low Beam as of now on OEM (Phoenix) Bulb. Need to check on Osram and Philips bulbs
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-new-low-beam-after-change.jpg

New Reflector unit on my Activa
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-new-reflector-unit.jpg

Odometer at end of day
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-odo-post-service.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 00:10   #54
BANNED

Inductive Tachometer....

It was today that I got sometime to check the tachometer that I received from AliExpress which I bought to check the idling RPM and adjust if necessary in future while adjusting it. Thanks to BHPian Leoshashi & Interc00led for helping me choose the right tachometer as I was confused between laser tachometer or Inductive tachometer.

One needs to lift the engine cover to access the wiring for the tachometer to work. How does one do it?!

Tools Required:

i) A Rachet
ii) 12mm Socket
iii) Star screwdriver

Here is the process:
  • Place the scooter on centre stand and lift the seat.

• Using the 12mm socket + rachet, open the four screws as labelled in the picture;

• Using the star screw driver open the three star screws on top and 1 star screw on either side located behind the foot rest.

• Once done, just lift the cover up from the luggage hook side and secure the cover by placing the rod in the hole above. That's it.

Inductive Tachometer needs the spark plug wire for its functioning by the spiraling the tachometer wire to the spark plug wire. With the cover lifted up locating the spark plug wire was easy. Just spiral the wire three times to the spark plug one and start the scooter. RPM reading comes on automatically and the reading refreshes every 25-30 seconds (IIRC).

Here are some pictures:

The Inductive Tachometer
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-tachometer.jpg

Nuts/Screws to be opened
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-untitled.jpg

Engine Cover lifted - Engine Bay
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160706_144306.jpg

Primary Air Cleaner
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-primary-air-cleaner.jpg

Spark plug wiring (Running along the Yellow line)
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-spark-plug-wire-yellow.jpg

Tachometer connected
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-connected-spark-plug-wire.jpg

Idling RPM currently
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-idling-speed.jpg

Two videos that I recorded using my mobile showing the working Tachometer:

Owners manual says the setting must be between 1600 - 1800 RPM whereas the current setting is between 1300 - 1400 RPM. Is that OK or should I get increased to the one mentioned in the manual?

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th July 2016 at 00:19.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 21:15   #55
BANNED

Thanks to BHPian Sulivan, I have got a pair of these bulbs with me now. Thanks for couriering it and taking all the pain!

With the Headlight issue solved I will post a comparison between the headlight bulbs that I have.

OEM: Phoenix (35/35W)
Upgrade 1: Osram Silverstar (35/35W)
Upgrade 2: Philips Moto Rally Halogen (40/40W)

Philips Moto Rally Halogen
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160709_224432tile.jpg

Philips vs Osram
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160709_224508.jpg

The bulbs side by side
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-img_20160709_224551.jpg

The main irritating part is, it is cumbersome to keep pulling out the dome every time I need to change the bulb for trial purpose.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 00:04   #56
BHPian

Drum to Disc brake conversion for 2008 Activa

Hi Friends,

I have been using a 2008 model Honda Activa for occasional short commutes within the city. It hardly ran for 10k KMs. Lately I found the brake very poor and its very difficult to stop the vehicle even with moderate speed of 40 kpmh. This becomes a concern as my sister also uses the same scooter. I have tried changing the brake pad and shoes recently but it didn't help much.

No I have only two options either sell the scooter off and buy a new one with disc brakes or changing the existing drum brakes with discs. Can you please advice me if this is a feasible idea? If some one has already done this please give me some leads in Chennai.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:50   #57
BHPian

Re: Drum to Disc brake conversion for 2008 Activa

Although it might be possible to retro-fit a disc, it wont be easy in anyway and would involve huge amount of money. Also it would be not very reliable when compared to a vehicle with factory fitted disc. So I'd suggest you sell Activa and buy a new scooter with Disc brakes. Modifying a 8 year old scooter isn't reliable by any means IMHO.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 10:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Drum to Disc brake conversion for 2008 Activa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Can you please advice me if this is a feasible idea?
Forerunner

It is definitely possible to do this conversion. But practically, it may not make much sense to do so. Here is why.

Activa 3G with drum brake

Name:  blue.png
Views: 4172
Size:  294.8 KB

Activa 125 with disc brake

Name:  Honda_Activa_125SideBlue.png
Views: 5038
Size:  269.2 KB

The minimum components which should be added / changed:
(1) Front fork assembly
(2) Front wheel, tyre and probably mud guard as well
(3) Disc brake system - caliper, rotor, master cylinder, lever, brake hose
(4) Other miscellaneous items - front brake switch, wheel bearing, mounts / clips / special bolts, speedo worm-gear mechanism and cable

Moreover, the CBS may present its own complications with respect to integration.

Procuring all these from Honda A.S.S. will cost you a packet for sure. If you are able to source an entire front end from a scrapped Aviator / Activa 125 with disc brake (rare), it makes sense. Else, I suggest going for a new scooter with factory-fitted disc brake.
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:01   #59
BANNED

Was a casual browse during the 2016 Auto Expo threads and while glancing through the Yamaha's section, I stumbled upon the Ray ZR scooter that was displayed with funky colours and alloys etc. I was stunned looking at the design of the Rear view mirror on that scooter. I wanted the same one for my Activa 125 so I started scouting for that type.

First search was on AliExpress and I struck gold. I got the same design there so I contacted the seller for sale enquiry.

Name: 360 degree universal Aluminum motorcycle RVM
Actual Cost: ₹ 1065
Cost I paid: ₹ 854

Here are the pictures of the New Rear View Mirror:

What I was influenced by
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-1.-influenced-.jpg

AliExpress screenshot
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-2.-aliexpress-purchase-screenshot.png

Contents of the package
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-3.-contents-package.jpg

Rear view of the RVM
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-4.-rear-view-rvm.jpg

Ball joint for finer adjustment
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-5.-socket-ball-joint-finer-adjustment.jpg

Hex Key for adjustment
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-6.-hex-key-nut-adjustement.jpg

OEM RVM mounting
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-7.-oem-rvm-mounting.jpg

14mm base bolt
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-8.-14mm-bolt.jpg

OEM Rear view mirror
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-9.-oem-rvm.jpg

New Rear view mirror
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-10.-new-rvm.jpg

Comparison between the Rear View Mirror's
Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-12.-oem-vs-new-rvm.jpg

Hindrance in completion:

I am now stuck as one bolt isn't going in fully and needs replacement. I contacted the seller but they are trying to send me another bolt to fit the other RVM too. Should be getting it soon hopefully!

Appreciate your comments on the swap!

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd July 2016 at 22:02.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 00:33   #60
BANNED

ODOMETER UPDATE

With the Activa 125 being 45 days old in its ownership with me, she has hit a small milestone in her journey.

On my back home, she completed 500 kms. Nothing big though.

Review: Honda Activa 125 (Pearl Amazing White). EDIT - Now sold-500-kms.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks