Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 07:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

How reliable are Mahindra two wheelers compared to Honda/Hero/TVS? If the same gap exists there as it does in the four wheelers that are rugged but plagued by niggles, I doubt that Mahindra has decent share in the two wheeler market.

The RE charisma was around the 4 stroke thumper and continuity has allowed them to survive, although I expect their reliability issues to be a survival threat.

The Yezdi charisma was around the 2 stroke reliability, now not available, and the people bought it because the alternative, RE, was both expensive and not anywhere as reliable back then. And with the absence from the market for two decades, brand recall is from people that no longer ride two wheelers. The sound from the exhaust pipes was a factor making a virtue out of a vice, back in the day when noise pollution was not an issue. I can't see the same sound levels passing the norms these days for new bikes.

IMO, nice try, but no chance of success.

Similar to the Peugeot attempt - is that Mahindra as well?

Last edited by Sawyer : 24th July 2017 at 07:09.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 08:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back

Wonder how this bike will sound with a 4 stroke motor ? For me the Java/ Yezdi range was all about the design and sound.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 14:52   #93
BHPian

Checkout the Yezdi website..! It has been updated. No information on launching by M&M or anything. However , this may be a hint that they are really working on it.
I am not willing to make up my mind with high expectation though and I suggest you all do the same. We don't want M&M to break our heart with not that good models. I expect a couple of reliable bikes that has average performance and more than average comfort. Nothing more..!
JozfGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 13:25   #94
BHPian

Mahindra, please bring in vintage 660. I wil trade my 883 Harley. The gearing ratios, the weight and the sound of Harley is just not for our roads / traffic. Would love to own our own heritage than somebody else's. Off course provided you bring in a decent reliable durable product.
I own a yezdi and I actually use a muffler in the exhausts. Very simple job to do. Even though the sound is muted in low rpm it picks up to a nice sound when revved as you climb up the gears. And I can use it regularly to my work place.
In some videos of the 660, the sound has decent thump and some semblance of the lovely arrogant punch jawa is associated with.
Off course all of it is my personal taste but I do feel there is a market for mature and reliable product like this.
With some success with these models Mahindra could bring in 1000 cc and few variants of Mojo. Wishful thinking but why not?
FasterSon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 09:29   #95
BHPian

So apparently Mahindra has started contacting Jawa Yezdi clubs, at least in Nagpur. One would assume they are doing it in atleast in Pune, Mumbai and Chennai too. They want to meet with the owners and talk to them and take pictures and probably try and get them associated with the launch of the new Jawa motorcycles. So I think the launch is pretty close.
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 12:15   #96
Senior - BHPian

Its not Jawa but BSA that Mahindra is bringing back first!! Here is the news

Quote:
Anand Mahindra celebrated Christmas with some nostalgia and a teaser for fans of classic motorcycles. The Mahindra Group Chairman tweeted a picture of an old print advertisement featuring Santa Claus making his rounds on a BSA motorcycle, the iconic British brand that catered to the British Army during World War II.
Quote:
Mahindra's caption caught the eye because in October last year, M&M's subsidiary Classic Legends acquired BSA and its existing global brand rights in a Rs 28 crore deal.

In July this year, M&M Managing Director Pawan Goenka confirmed that the company was working on new BSA bikes, but did not provide a timeline for its rollout. And neither did Mahindra.

There is speculation on online forums that a BSA bike might see the light of day by 2019 and will be produced at the company's manufacturing unit at Pithampur in Madhya Pradesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-mahindra-bsa.png  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 11:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is gearing up to re-introduce the Jawa brand in India

Mahindra is gearing up to re-introduce the Jawa brand in India. According to a recent media report, the Jawa bikes will use the existing 300 cc engine platform that currently powers the Mahindra Mojo.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-engine-bay.jpg

Mahindra plans to pit the Jawa and BSA branded bikes against Royal Enfield in India. In the past, these motorcycles have been known for their 250 and 350 cc engines. Reports suggest that the 300 cc, single-cylinder, liquid cooled engine that powers the Mojo is based on a scalable platform, which would allow the brand to develop smaller or higher capacity versions of the engine.

Lacklustre sales of the Mojo mean that the engine platform has been underutilized. Offering variations of this engine on the upcoming Jawa motorcycles would help Mahindra recover the money invested in developing it. Also, utilizing an existing engine would reduce the development costs for the Jawa brand.

Mahindra recently launched a carburetted version of the 300 cc engine on the Mojo UT300 - a cut-price variant of the Mojo XT300 which comes with a fuel-injected engine. The engine produces 22.7 BHP @ 7,500 rpm and 25.2 Nm of torque @ 5,500 rpm. That said, it is still unclear whether Jawa would use the carburetted version or the latter on its bikes.

Source: Autocar Professional

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 12:19   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra is gearing up to re-introduce the Jawa brand in India

Can they please put in the goddamn ABS onto the whatever the heck they launch please! Most of these bikes go dead out of the consideration set just because they lack that essential feature and are able to go over the ton mark in a jiffy.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 13:59   #99
BHPian

I think this engine is really good, but the Mojo is just too late for the party. On the other hand, the people who will look at Jawa wont be bothered by other features of the bike. It only needs to look good, sound good, and not break down ever so often. No Jawa customer would care how well it corners, or how linear the acceleration is. And the twin pipes of the Mojo should be a nice homage to the twin pipes of the original Jawa 250.
Old 26th March 2018, 15:05   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I think this engine is really good, but the Mojo is just too late for the party.
Maybe a little late, but I feel this will be a good move by Mahindra and they can definitely eat into RE's market share.

Quote:
On the other hand, the people who will look at Jawa wont be bothered by other features of the bike. It only needs to look good, sound good, and not break down ever so often. No Jawa customer would care how well it corners, or how linear the acceleration is.
Respectfully, I don't think so. Yes Jawa as a brand has a cult following and it'll sell on the name alone, but that doesn't mean they show up with a dud and launch it in the market. I've ridden a Jawa only once and absolutely loved it. The feel and performance of the bike, not to mention the agility and how sure footed it felt.(This is my opinion and feedback on the same since I happened to ride one recently for a day) These are different times and the Indian consumer is more discerning and as always been cost conscious. Like I said, M&M have a huge opportunity to take the fight to the REs here.

Quote:
And the twin pipes of the Mojo should be a nice homage to the twin pipes of the original Jawa 250.
Ohh it'll be a lovely homage indeed if they can make it sound even better than the Mojo.
Old 25th July 2018, 21:52   #101
BHPian

Hello

Looks like something is cooking

Rgds
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-screenshot_20180725215044__01.jpg  

deevee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 15:16   #102
BHPian

So here it is the Jawa engine for India!!! WOW!! retains the old charm to a great extent and just love those exhaust pipes!!!

Further read - https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...evealed-410043
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20181011123444_jawaengine1.jpg  

vinair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 15:18   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
So here it is the Jawa engine for India!!! WOW!! retains the old charm to a great extent and just love those exhaust pipes!!!

True.

Looks old, and sounds high tech. The new fuel-injected, liquid-cooled single cylinder 293cc is BS-VI ready; makes 27hp and 28Nm of torque.

And this engine is clearly looking different from the bike that had been speculated earlier. Perhaps we are not getting the Chinese bike afterall!

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-2017jawa350ohc_827x510_81493813374.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th October 2018 at 15:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 16:13   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post

Have to say.. it definitely looks like a promising start.

But does it look like the engine from the Mojo?
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 17:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

IMPRESSED!

I was a critique of a chinese assembly operation, but M&M have decided to go about it the right way. Kudos to them, deserve it.

That is a beautiful looking engine. Flat torque, non stressed engine, single cylinder-twin pipe sound track.....what an impressive recipe!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks