Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2006, 08:32   #1
kph
BHPian

Why Enfield Bullet?

Why you love the 'Bull' so much?
I’ve seen people who ride for the sake of riding and that's because of the only reason that it's a “Bull”. Some are so much fond of old classics, anyway not to keep it as an antique in their showcase but to maintain and ride it. Some even say it’s a way of life, passion, attachment…. The list is endless…
What brings you so close to a Bull..?
Is it its thump?
Is it the Power?
Is it the Size?
Is it because it’s heavy?
Is it because it’s a Legend??
Is it the overall beauty?
Is it because it’s a nonstop rider?
Is it individuality you feel when you ride it?
Or is there any other interesting reason?

Many don’t have a specific reason to be a bull lover. I just want to ask you, what your views on this are.

Last edited by kph : 2nd November 2006 at 08:34.
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:57   #2
BHPian

personally my choice leans towards sportier models but staying on the thread there is no specific reason to like enfield bullet. its the whole package & not individual things that make it special.
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:07   #3
BANNED

Why Enfield Bullet?

1. You're a cop.
2. You're a milkman
3. You want to be a cop or a milkman

Ok I'm getting out of here before some Bullet lover lynches me...
Boom Shiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:43   #4
BHPian

my friend have a 84 bullet even my karizma is not able to beat thye bull in the highways
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
2. You're a milkman
Hey,

I thought that was the privilege bestowed to Jawa/Yezdi to be official steed of Milkmen....

Me too a Bullet lover, but no lynching/flaming people who don't profess love for it...since they have many valid reasons for their non-love/hate (just like the lovey reasons people who love the Bulls have )

regards
Bullfrog
Bullfrog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:05   #6
BHPian

You either love it or hate it.

Boom Shiva --> Try to run some other bike through 700 km of INDIAN highways and you'll know why people like the bullet. This is the point: Any other bke is meant for the city. The bullet is meant for the INDIAN highways.
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A very distant parallel. But it is similar to the Harley Davidson craze in the USA, isnt it? There are surely bikes which make more power, handle better, are more comfortable and efficient than the Harley.

But to some....they do not match up to the aura and feel of a Harley.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:43   #8
BHPian

Just the thump...nothing else.........
Old 2nd November 2006, 13:16   #9
BHPian

wrote this a while back, before you read this let me say i have never owned a bullet.

I hear a lot of people asking bullet owners why would they go for a bullet when other "better" motorcycles are availble in the market. Even though I dont own a Bullet, I think I know why hardcore Bullet fans still love their steeds.

Like some one once said, if you ask why then you don’t wont get it. Simple fact of the matter is die hard bulleteers buy bullet because it’s not just a bike to them, it is in a way like a kid for them which they love to nurture and spoil.

The only reason bullet is surviving today is due to the love of its past and present owners.

I don’t own a bullet at present but might own one in future and if I do it will not be for touring or commuting, it will be for the relaxed and confident manner in which she moves, especially the cast iron ones.

Emotional bonds which one develops with their motorcycle or car can only be understood by those who have a similar passion. That’s why it is said, that if you need an explanation, then you won’t get it!

Agreed the bullet has mechanical problems, it is over priced, delivers lower mileage, is slower then the current crop of motorcycles, vibrates a lot, makes hell lot more noise etc. but then again if you have kids you wont throw them out for the fact they snore, spend money, make noise, get the house dirty etc..

This is the same reason why a bulleteer or for that matter any other person who is passionate about some thing can overlook any amount of hardship and smile with confidence knowing fully well it is all part of their passion.

However one thing I hate about bullet or rather “bulleteers” are few people who think just because they own a motorcycle which comes from a company which has a great history behind her, they can run down and insult any and every other motorcycle owner.

These types of people are the ones who call modern bikes jap crap and in turn elicit response that goes negatively for bullet, bullet groups and biking fraternity at large.
yogesh sarkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Well, the reason i got a bullet was quite simple. I loved it since i was a kid. My uncle owned a bullet and whenever we went there he would be doing some kind of work on it. My mom would laugh and tell him to get a Hero Honda or somethin. He would jus smile and not give an answer.
My dad knew better, but at that point could not afford to buy/maintain one. Instead i got to hear stories of this bike, which would take most of your time, but you really wudnt mind that one bit. It was a bike which army men used and was so good that u cud ride it to any end of India. The loud thump would make anyone notice the bike and envy you.

And now that ive finally got this bike. I'll tell u these stories arr not that off the mark :-) Its a totally different experience compared to the Japanese (wait, indian too) bikes, and i really dont think its fair to compare them.
Old 2nd November 2006, 16:06   #11
BHPian

i have had a enfield electra myself and a 54' thumper now,iam talking of the times(until recently)when bullet was not user friendly vehicle i.e gear shifter on the wrong side,leaky engine,horrid gear box,cables ever ready to snap,a starting technique required to start,huge service bills at just 2000kms(for the cast iron block,by cast iron bullet fans)you require a incorrigible 'ustads' etc etc,

that gave you a feeling of being mature responsible and a feeling close to owning a rottwiler dog(who exists only for his owner)and one which only Men who had the above quality could own and not everybody,in other words individulistic...

if you ask me ther is no particular reason its just that bullet(with all its 'plus'points mentioned above)imparts an endearment to its owners that cannot be explained in theory.

Last edited by dr fate : 2nd November 2006 at 16:08.
Old 2nd November 2006, 19:32   #12
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar
The only reason bullet is surviving today is due to the love of its past and present owners.
True and there are reasons for them to be with Bull for so long.
Designed in the late forties and early fifties, Bullet was introduced to deliver 'performance in style'. Brits did a pretty nice job here too.

Ride and handling
At the end of a ride, you know that not only did your riding skills keep the bike safely on the road but that it was your knowledge about the bike that kept the bike moving forward at all.
The point is.. You need to know "Riding" to ride a bull.

Quote:
Agreed the bullet has mechanical problems, it is over priced, delivers lower mileage, is slower then the current crop of motorcycles, vibrates a lot, makes hell lot more noise etc.
When you graduate and become a qualilfied "Rider" you won’t feel the vibration, noise (actually bull is less noisy. Thump is not noise), she wont give mechanical problem, wont be slower (don’t take her as a sprinter, Take time to achieve speed. Don’t compare a cheetah with a horse), will give decent mileage (don’t compare with 100CCs) and pricing.. Don’t have to go for a brand new one.. Actually brand new ones are designed to pull some non bulleteer customers and improve the business not to satisfy the real bulleteers.

Quote:
Emotional bonds which one develops with their motorcycle or car can only be understood by those who have a similar passion. That’s why it is said, that if you need an explanation, then you won’t get it!
Well, that’s a pretty good explanation.

Quote:
However one thing I hate about bullet or rather “bulleteers” are few people who think just because they own a motorcycle which comes from a company which has a great history behind her, they can run down and insult any and every other motorcycle owner.
These types of people are the ones who call modern bikes jap crap and in turn elicit response that goes negatively for bullet, bullet groups and biking fraternity at large.
Cant help it...
That is attitude. That is one reason for them to own a bull.
See, the reasons varies.

And yes GTO, The bullet craze can be compared to the Harley wave in the US. [FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Last edited by kph : 2nd November 2006 at 19:35.
kph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don’t own a bullet at present but might own one in future and if I do it will not be for touring or commuting, it will be for the relaxed and confident manner in which she moves, especially the cast iron ones.
I will not own a Bullet, but I rode one on my last visit home and the unhurried thump was very different from the almost manic scream from my RD. The RD urges you to go faster and faster, while the Bullet seems to lull the rider into a more sedate state of mind. Its a very different feeling, though its not something I'd like to live with. On the other hand, I guess the Bullet is better and more composed for city riding.

Other than that I found the gearshift and brakes on the wrong sides a pain and sometimes very dangerous. Its a very quirky bike - I had to get my friend to start it for me as I didnt want to screw up my back. Its got too many quirks to be a practical alternative to any other bike. If you ride ONLY the Bullet I guess you'll live with the quirks.

Quote:

I agree. Except that its not a bike with a great history BEHIND - you'd say that if it has evolved from the original, which is not the case with the Bullet. The Bullet IS history, not a bike with history behind it.

Also agree that a lot of Bullet owners refuse to acknowledge the advantages of other bikes. But then its one of a kind, there is no comparison to the Bullet because it belongs to another age.
Old 2nd November 2006, 21:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:However one thing I hate about bullet or rather “bulleteers” are few people who think just because they own a motorcycle which comes from a company which has a great history behind her, they can run down and insult any and every other motorcycle.

Well the word biker alone means extreme views and this is one of them,

i have seen many brand followers rubbish another,example my Rd friends think that bullet is big lump of waste metal!
other quote:0-60 in how many hours?was another question asked!

similarly "bulleteers" term Rd guys as.....well its a typical friendly banter which sometimes ends with sulks and red faces,

bikers are the same world over faithfull only to their passion and ride(apart from being over-sized boys).

Last edited by dr fate : 2nd November 2006 at 21:08.
Old 2nd November 2006, 21:45   #15
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I will not own a Bullet, but I rode one on my last visit home.
Its a very quirky bike - I had to get my friend to start it for me as I didn’t want to screw up my back.
With just one ride no one can feel the bike, will take time. That's my experience.
Quote:
the unhurried thump was very different from the almost manic scream from my RD. The RD urges you to go faster and faster, while the Bullet seems to lull the rider into a more sedate state of mind. It’s a very different feeling, though its not something I'd like to live with.
Also agree that a lot of Bullet owners refuse to acknowledge the advantages of other bikes.
That is personal. If you ask me my feeling, I would say I like the faster (sprinter) bikes too. But the feeling is different from that from a bull. One is not bad compared to the other. But both are different. And I'm not someone who rule out all the other bikes and I don’t believe that Biking=bull ride.
Quote:
I guess the Bullet is better and more composed for city riding.
Bull definitely is not a city bike. For most of the riders it is for highways, i feel comfortable both in highways and city though.
Quote:
Other than that I found the gearshift and brakes on the wrong sides a pain and sometimes very dangerous. It’s got too many quirks to be a practical alternative to any other bike. If you ride ONLY the Bullet I guess you'll live with the quirks.
Well, I used to have a RX too with my Bull before. I never had confusion.
Wanted to sell one, never had to think twice which one to sell.
Quote:
its not a bike with a great history BEHIND - you'd say that if it has evolved from the original, which is not the case with the Bullet. The Bullet IS history, not a bike with history behind it.

I didn't quite understand it. Then you shouldn't be able to see one on road. You should be able to see one in meusium only....
No hard feelings pls..

Last edited by kph : 2nd November 2006 at 21:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks