Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 10:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which scooter to buy for short commutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
Point noted. Thank you! However, I was under the impression that Vespa would be the most comfortable out of the lot given it's advanced suspension system when compared to the rest. Thoughts?
Well, I have never driven a Vespa, so really don't know how comfy it is. But at the end of the day, it is still a scooter with small wheels (smaller than a bike's), and the probability is quite high that even with the most advanced suspension, it can't beat a bike in the comfort stakes (specially one with a mono suspension setup like the Unicorn/FZ/FZ-S/Gixxer). At least IMO, a scooter makes sense only if you absolutely have to have storage space under the seat or between the seat and the handle bar. Other than that, a bike is any day better when it comes to comfort, handling & braking (specially in wet conditions).

Edit: Just saw that the above quote was for someone else, and also your point about the laptop bag. Even I carry one, and getting used to it on a bike is just a matter of habit. In the worst case, you can change it to a laptop shoulder bag (like a haversack)

Wish you all the best with the test rides and the decision making!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th November 2017 at 10:09.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 10:06   #47
BHPian

Two wheelers are easy to rent, so check them out for a day or a week before you decide!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 11:43   #48
BHPian

I rode a scooter for the first time in Goa, rented it out. And I'm hooked. The sheer convenience it offers over a bike, I'd prefer it anyday! Especially at the rate the traffic is increasing in Mumbai, bike is a massive pain.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 18:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any feedback on Yamaha Ray-ZR (disc variant)?

Buying one for wife. Points in favor of Yamaha:

1. The funky looks appealed to both of us.
2. She's kinda uncomfortable with the Activa/Jupiter being comparitively heavier. Dunno how much real life difference would the 5 kg difference make but its already in her mind

Hows the maintenance of Yamaha compared to TVS/HONDA?

Would be on a test-ride spree during the Christmas long weekend. Intend to book one during Jan,2018.

Appreciate some inputs.

Regards
Soumen Das
Old 20th November 2017, 18:43   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Why aren't you looking at the grazia from honda? Seems like pretty good reviews online. And telescopic suspension. Also got front disc and combi braking system, which is a segment first I think along with full led and digital cluster.

I think i will get one in white.
Old 20th November 2017, 21:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why aren't you looking at the grazia from honda? ...
Because of mainly two reasons :

1. I wont be using it myself. 90% of the time wife would use it and she isnt really comfortable with the extra power/weight. Yet to test-ride this but we tried Activa and she wasn't comfortable on it. She was OK with scooty pep infact but thanks to our govt's random rule changes(no pillion seat allowed on <100cc vehicles ) , I preferred sticking to 110+ cc scoots. I know the decision is on hold for now but its better to play it safe while you can.

2. We started with a budget of 60k and Grazia would need us to stretch by around 25%(no discounts expected whatsoever) which I don't think is justified as this will be just a basic commuter for either ferrying basic grocery stuff or wife's office commute when I am out of town. Rest, 90% of the time we use the car/motor-bike.
Old 20th November 2017, 21:08   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Its 125cc and 107 kgs. I think that is pretty good power to weight though the wife would give a damn lol!
Old 20th November 2017, 22:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
We have a Ray Z (not the ZR) at home for about 4 years and 15,000kms. Very easy to ride for ladies as the primary user is my wife. Spacious to accommodate me, wife and our 6 year old on the seat without much discomfort. Outright pickup is on the lower side compared to other 110cc scooters but pretty much usable power and torque for short city runs (We have a Wego as well in the family). Good quality all round but since the body panels are fiber, you will hear the odd rattle or sound from the body panel over time. Apart from that, pretty hassle free ownership. The service intervals for all scooters are pretty much same and costs are also at par. Yamaha service at the service center including oil changes would work out to around 600-700/-. But i stopped visiting the service center since the running was very less. I get it serviced at the FNG mechanic once every 3000kms with oil and filter change and all the other routine checks. Has held up well so far even after shifting to FNG 3 years ago. Hope this helps!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 07:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Buying one for wife. Points in favor of Yamaha:

1. The funky looks appealed to both of us.
2. She's kinda uncomfortable with the Activa/Jupiter being comparitively heavier. Dunno how much real life difference would the 5 kg difference make but its already in her mind
s

have you considered the Hero Duet?
I own one, which is used by my wife.
she loves the external fuel lid and the ease of riding on it.

it has a 110cc engine and some other pretty nifty features.
Would suggest you to test drive it once.
Cheers!
Dramitn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 17:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I use the original Yamaha Ray ( Cygnus Ray). Purchased it in 2012~13 and it has done 2300 odd kms , so you can imagine my usage. I service it from a FNG once in 6 months or sometimes even later. What I loved about the Yamaha Ray, was the less wide footboard, which makes the scooty's presence/volume small, compared to the Activa's. For a person like me who is 5.6, this makes a lot of difference as I have more control over the scooty.
My first preference was the Honda Dio, but the attitude of the Honda dealer made me consider the freshly launched Yamaha in those days.After 5 years I am happy with the purchase.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 13:48   #56
BHPian

I ride the new Suzuki Access (now done about 6k kms) to work regularly and prefer it over a motorbike for office commute.
The Access has a slightly better suspension than most of the other scooters and with 102kgs and a peppy and smooth 125cc engine, it's effortless! In fact, it's pretty good with a pillion as well! Lots of storage space too.

The best part is Suzuki service is way better than Honda/ Vespa as their workshops are much less crowded and you get a really good service. On the economy part, it gives around 45 kmpl in the urban driving cycle if you can manage to keep it under 60kmph!
Crankpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:46   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I went and test rode 3 scooters. The suzuki access was ridden a while back, and it was out of the list because of no cbs and i locked the brakes instantly.

Today i test rode the grazia and the jupiter. The grazia was brand new, and felt extremely sluggish with two on board. Just wouldn't move. The suspension was alright but is way better than the activa and dio brigade.

I then test rode the jupiter. My god, what a revelation. My brother didnt like how the jupiter looked, but once he rode it, he was just blown. The suspension i dare say is better than the versys. That good. For a 110 cc, the pick up and overall speed felt better than the grazia even two up. The underseat storage is humongous, can store a xs or small full face helmet easily (which is what fits me).

I dont understand why people buy the honda. Its absolutely useless in comparison.

Getting the jupiter std version home in a week. Any deals around since its the year end? How do i decode the chassis number for the jupiter? I have an option to select the scooter at their stock room in bangalore.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 13:04   #58
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Rebooting this thread as this is my exact requirement.
Need a scooter to be predominantly used by wife for office. The distance to office from home is just 2.5 KM but there is a steep incline in between so need to consider that as well. I am also sure that the minute it is in our garage, I will hijack the scooter for every trip to buy groceries, shopping and everything else.

So In conclusion my requirements are as before.

1) Predominantly to be used by Wife and little bit hijack by me as well. So looking at a gender neutral scooter.
2) It should not be heavy.
3) Not sure if I need 125cc. 110 should be fine right?
4) Decent space to keep at least a helmet inside.
5) Need to tackle that single steep incline.
6) Not looking to burn pocket with Vespa/Piaggio. Something under 70K on road.
7) Activa is going to be the last choice as we have one already at parents place. Need some variety I feel.
Suggestions please my friends. Thanks in Advance.
Old 6th March 2018, 14:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Rebooting this thread as this is my exact requirement.

So In conclusion my requirements are as before.

Those were pretty much the criteria I set off with when I wanted to pick up a scooter. I got the Jupiter and I don't regret it one bit. I've ridden the Activa as well but in terms of handling, power and the balance in general I feel Jupiter is better. Activa on the other hand was smooth and backed by the Honda badge. For me, TVS was just as good.

I'm a huge guy and 110 feels quite adequate to ride around a 10kms radius. 125CC might be justified if the running is longer.

Points 1 - 6 are like hygiene factors for any scooter sold now a days. Guess what you must be asking is how efficient is the ASS once the scooter is sold. As the running is low, this might have a toll on the vehicle doing short trips.

In Pune, the TVS ASS options I have around my home is pathetic to say the least.

The hardware is solid and lasts long, comes with decent kit and backed by good sales numbers. The ASS is what tips the scales IMO.
Hope that helps
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 15:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Need a scooter to be predominantly used by wife for office. The distance to office from home is just 2.5 KM but there is a steep incline in between so need to consider that as well. I am also sure that the minute it is in our garage, I will hijack the scooter for every trip to buy groceries, shopping and everything else.

Since this scooter is primarily meant to be used by your wife, it would be better to let her decide.

Take her for test rides of all scooters from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, TVS, Hero etc and let her judge for herself which scooter she finds easy to ride and park.

Also consider the service intervals and the availability of service centre near to your residence/office.

I was in a similar situation a few years back when I purchased Activa-i. It is a fuss-free lightweight unisex scooter and we are really happy with it. But now there are many more options in the market.

If you are looking for a fuss-free ownership, it is best to stick with the Japs.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks