Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 16:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Which scooter to buy for short commutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Suggestions please my friends
Check out Yamaha Fascino. Picked one last year for my Dad. It was priced just a shade about 60K if my memory is right.

We had an Activa before and I found the Fascino peppier and fun to ride.

ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 18:02   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Those were pretty much the criteria I set off with when I wanted to pick up a scooter. I got the Jupiter and I don't regret it one bit.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Isn't Jupiter a bit tall for people who are short? My wife is 5Ft.4'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Since this scooter is primarily meant to be used by your wife, it would be better to let her decide.

If you are looking for a fuss-free ownership, it is best to stick with the Japs.
Rohan
Easier said than done. My wife is very clear that she won't help me decide her ride. Her usual quote is "You spend more time on T-bhp than with me so at least let that get useful"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Check out Yamaha Fascino. Picked one last year for my Dad. It was priced just a shade about 60K if my memory is right.

We had an Activa before and I found the Fascino peppier and fun to ride.

ride safe,
R-Six
Thanks for the suggestion. The mileage levels are too low is the response I am getting from various sources(High 30's to Low 40's). How is it for you.
Old 8th March 2018, 18:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. The mileage levels are too low is the response I am getting from various sources(High 30's to Low 40's). How is it for you.
For the kind of running you have in mind for the scooter (Avg. of 10kms a day), mileage should be the least of your concerns. Also if the running is for short distances the FE will certainly take a hit. So your FE will be lower than the same scooter of someone who does longer distances per day and again also dependent on traffic situations. All in all, for your kind of running 5-10kms + or - should not be the deciding factor. Ease of maintenance, ease of use and riding comfort should be top priority for both you and wife. In that regards fascino scores in the looks, reliability as it is a Jap scooter, maintenance is hassle free and women find it easier to handle and men can very easily adapt to its ride.
Wife has a RayZ at home which she is not willing to trade in for any scooter yet as she finds it very easy to use. It has only done around 13k in about 4 years now but still starts in the first press of the button or kick. Easy to service with the FNG local mechanic at a fraction of the cost of the service as the ASC.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 18:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
My wife is 5Ft.4'.
My wife is 5.2' and she is just fine with the vehicle. Her foot is not planted flat on the road but she wouldn't be rocking the scooter from one foot to another. Its adequate.
no_boundaries is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 19:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions please my friends.
Bought a Wego for my sis who had a similar requirement. Weight, seat height and low speed maneuverability were the primary focus as she is thin & short. So based on my research, we narrowed it down to:
  1. Wego
  2. Jupiter
  3. Fascino
  4. Access 125
After an initial round of test rides, it was quite clear that Access was a bit too powerful for a newbie rider and the 110s were peppy enough. Access was considered mainly coz it had the lowest weight among all. It would have been the default choice if the primary user was a seasoned rider. The overall package is brilliant.

Fascino had the lowest seat height and was pretty lightweight too. Apart from the obvious lack of features, we didn't find anything wrong in it. Although the design of the scooter is targeted at female audience, the majority I see on the roads here are ridden by men.

The TVS twins impressed, esp the Wego. After riding the Jupiter, she felt it was similar in feel to Fascino which had a smoother engine compared to the TVS twins. But once she rode Wego, the choice was pretty clear. She could really feel the body balance tech working to make the scooter stay stable at walking speeds. The slightly different engine placement, 12" wheels and the longer wheelbase must be helping it for sure. The Jupiter was a bit off in this regard. The only trade-off I found was the lower GC compared to Jupiter. This must be coz the engine is placed lower. Both of them although having the highest weight (108kg as per the latest owner's manual) among the above four, didn't make it seem obvious. But the low sales of Wego meant that we could not get a 2018 model despite trying with two different dealers. This was not a problem with Jupiter.

The amount of thoughtful features that has gone into both of them is simply amazing:
  • The handlebar can be locked on either side
  • The kick starter lever can be reached by foot while seated
  • The tyre valve is bend towards one side so that it's much easier to connect the filling nozzle
  • The rear tyre gets a tyre hugger
I have a strong suspicion that someone from one of the German car makers' R&D is working for TVS.

In addition, there are a lot of other standard features like external fuel filler, factory fitted USB slot, sync braking, parking brake etc. all of which I felt would be useful for her.

Hero & Honda wasn't considered as their service centers seem to be too crowded and the overall service levels seem to be sub par compared to others in my city. Besides, I don't understand why Activa still sells in lakhs. It's not like there is a lack of better choice in the market. All the scooters we considered offered much better value than any other Honda scooter. Even in the Grazia, the handbrake lever is just a metal piece which would feel uncomfortable to use. The TVS has a well finished, nice to use lever.

I would suggest multiple test rides (if possible, in a back to back manner), so that the choice is clear. Don't rush it.

Last edited by BigBrad : 8th March 2018 at 19:26.
BigBrad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 22:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
The mileage levels are too low is the response I am getting from various sources(High 30's to Low 40's). How is it for you.
I think we get around 30. Since your daily running is around 5km in total, it should be your least worry. With such short rides, even a high mileage scooter will give you comparatively lesser efficiency.

And about the height, my wife's cousin rides it to her college every day and she is hardly 5 ft tall. So your better half will be comfortable with it.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 12:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Rebooting this thread as this is my exact requirement.
Need a scooter to be predominantly used by wife for office. The distance to office from home is just 2.5 KM but there is a steep incline in between so need to consider that as well. I am also sure that the minute it is in our garage, I will hijack the scooter for every trip to buy groceries, shopping and everything else.

So In conclusion my requirements are as before.

1) Predominantly to be used by Wife and little bit hijack by me as well. So looking at a gender neutral scooter.
2) It should not be heavy.
3) Not sure if I need 125cc. 110 should be fine right?
4) Decent space to keep at least a helmet inside.
5) Need to tackle that single steep incline.
6) Not looking to burn pocket with Vespa/Piaggio. Something under 70K on road.
7) Activa is going to be the last choice as we have one already at parents place. Need some variety I feel.
Suggestions please my friends. Thanks in Advance.

Is there a reason for not considering an electric scooter? Besides the ASS and charging plug point availability issue, I honestly think they are a perfect fit for your requirement!
I haven't ridden a single electric scooter but from what I have read, they seem to have come quite some way over the past few years. There's some innovations happening too as shown at this years Auto Expo. Attaching a couple of video links below.

shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 13:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Is there a reason for not considering an electric scooter? Besides the ASS and charging plug point availability issue, I honestly think they are a perfect fit for your requirement!...
The scooters run wonderfully for first year, but once problems start creeping up, you will be amazed how they pile up. Without ASS, the scooters become antiques a few years later. No local servicing guy will even touch an electric vehicle. Even a simple puncture will be a pain, because hardly any puncture repair guy will open a wheel with electricity (their logic). In case of unknown problem, you have to call company person (if he is willing to come to your place) or you have to tow/put the vehicle on a tempo to get to a far located company center (hardly 1 each city).

It is a nightmare, more so for ladies. I suffered when I purchased an electric bike, and have been ever so happy when I replaced it with a petrol scooter for my wife.

My suggestion to OP: For self use, one can consider the electric vehicle. For ladies/less technical people, buy a petrol vehicle irrespective of kms run. It will at least have easy maintenance and some resale value.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 13:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, please do take a test ride of the TVS Zest too. It has the same engine as the Wego, but is lighter and shorter than the Wego. Goes without saying, cheaper too
Old 9th March 2018, 13:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The scooters run wonderfully for first year, but once problems start creeping up, you will be amazed how they pile up. Without ASS, the scooters become antiques a few years later. No local servicing guy will even touch an electric vehicle. Even a simple puncture will be a pain, because hardly any puncture repair guy will open a wheel with electricity (their logic). In case of unknown problem, you have to call company person (if he is willing to come to your place) or you have to tow/put the vehicle on a tempo to get to a far located company center (hardly 1 each city).

It is a nightmare, more so for ladies. I suffered when I purchased an electric bike, and have been ever so happy when I replaced it with a petrol scooter for my wife.

My suggestion to OP: For self use, one can consider the electric vehicle. For ladies/less technical people, buy a petrol vehicle irrespective of kms run. It will at least have easy maintenance and some resale value.

Woah! Thanks for the inside view!
So are you still using your electric scooter? And which one was it?

OT: I am visiting the forum after a long time and surprised to see the Riding Gear and Helmet threads missing. Have they been moved?
Old 9th March 2018, 14:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Woah! Thanks for the inside view!
So are you still using your electric scooter? And which one was it?
No, I used it sometime till 2010-11. I mean used it till 2009, and suffered heavily for next one year running post to pillar fixing all the minor problems. It was a yo-speed 750w scooter, which required RTO registration and insurance, and needed license to run. The smaller capacity scooters (below 250w that don't go beyond 25kmph) don't require number or insurance.

I had made a long extension cord in case I had to charge the vehicle from some shop or home, and in evening, I would turn off headlight/use no horn in order to preserve battery! Just like saving battery for our mobile by turning display and data off. These electric vehicles are very silent to run and very torque-y. But that's it.

Every puncture would consume unreasonable amount of time, as I had to sit with the mechanic guiding him how to remove the tire. Servicing the scooter became a chore with service center situated far away and no local FNG support. Finally it started limping and no-one could identify why. Resale value was absolutely dismal.

So much for supporting new fuels. I may have saved a few thousand on fuel, but lost on resale value and valuable time. I won't touch any electric two wheeler in near future, that's for certain.

Sorry this is completely OT, and mods may feel free to edit this.

Last edited by ani_meher : 9th March 2018 at 14:22.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 14:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
OT: I am visiting the forum after a long time and surprised to see the Riding Gear and Helmet threads missing. Have they been moved?
OT : Welcome back. Yes, as always Safety has been accorded prime importance here at Team BHP and we have a brand new Forum Entry on "Road Safety". This was launched on the Anniversary of Team-BHP last month. The Helmets and Riding Gear Threads have a new home right on the Home Page now.

Which scooter to buy for short commutes?-teambhp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

Summed up perfectly. For self use, one may consider e-bikes, but wouldnt risk it for the ladies / parents who wish to have a personal commuter.

Quote:
Raghu as suggested by all, I would also recommend taking your wife for the test drives (right from taking it off the stand to putting it back on with test rides encompassing turns, gradient rides and with pillion etc, so she has a fair idea of what she is comfortable with.

The new TVS NTorq 125 seems to be much liked by the ladies, would suggest you take a test ride.

Cheers
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 18:17   #73
BHPian

Quote:
My wife is 5Ft.4'.
Had a very similar requirements for my spouse as well and we were sure that the scooter is not going to run more than 20kms per week, that too predominantly on weekends.
We had another couple of requirements (Weight < 100 kgs and Price < 60K)
Zeroed in on Zest and have no complaints so far after about 50 kms of drive in about a month. The Storage for a Full Face helmet of my size (XL, Studds Jade) could easily go inside the under seat storage + some space left for some more knick-knacks.
I had to struggle to keep the same size helmet in my old scooter a 2005 Model Activa.

Quote:
My wife is very clear that she won't help me decide her ride. Her usual quote is "You spend more time on T-bhp than with me so at least let that get useful"
Thats the standard quote for most of us in the forum is it. My spouse goes a level up and says, did you consult with your first wife
Old 10th March 2018, 21:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis;
Thanks a lot for the reply. Isn't Jupiter a bit tall for people who are short? My wife is 5Ft.4'.

I am 5' 4" and I bought a TVS Zest for short rides around my home. I even take it to office as its not very far from my home. Also my wife who is shorter than me was planning on using it. So it had to suit the height, and also not weigh much. Zest ticked all the boxes for me.

It has been two years now and I am happy with my purchase. No issues so far, easily goes up to 60-70kmph too if required and has one of the best power to weight ratio in its class with the 125cc engine. Weight also is one of the lowest among Zest, Jupiter, Wego, Fascino, Activa and Maestro. Overall, I would strongly recommend it.
Old 10th March 2018, 21:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

I think TVS Jupiter and Hero Maestro are best options. All these mopeds are identically same as far as dimensions and other technical specifications are concerned.

We have a TV Jupiter in the family. I ride it sometimes. I find it an excellent package. It is a well-built moped. The seat is big and comfortable. The engine is smooth and responsive, breaks are good. FE is good. The storage compartment under the seat is quite big, footwell (what do they call it in a moped?) have plenty of space.

Quote:
These threads are moved to new section named "Road Safety ".

Most Viewed