Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 13:19   #196
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Ended 2021 with a 460 km round trip to Jawadhu hills & Yelagiri hills, a much needed shot in the arm ride spending good time on the road with the Interceptor. Made an impulsive decision the day before without much of a plan. The intention was to just ride!- start early, stop everywhere to take photos and return back by evening. Jawadhu hills and Yelagiri hills stuck my head while scouting for places within 200 kms off Chennai. On 30th Dec Thu, got up at 5am checked the route and set out at 540am. It didn’t rain for the past two weeks in Chennai so didn’t bother to check the weather forecast or carry the rain wear. Little did I know that this day will get one of those highest rainfalls. Crossed Kattangalathur around 6am and then started the first cloudburst of the day, got half wet by the time I could reach a shelter. Started again riding on the rain soaked roads covering 80kms and the respray from the front tyre filled the shoes with water, at this point I thought of abandoning the ride but surprisingly the roads were bone dry after this point so stopped for 20 mins and tried drying the shoes & jacket and set off again. The entire stretch from GST to Polur (100kms) had either potholes or under construction but the pleasant weather and beautiful landscape allowed for an enjoyable ride throughout. The roads started to get better after Polur and soon became excellent thereon for the rest of the ride. After climbing the 5 hair pin bends reached Jamunamarathur town located on top of Jawadhu hills at 12pm. Stopped for 20 mins to soak up the surrounding and set out for Yelagiri located 55kms away. Reached Yelagiri hill top at 2pm and stopped for 30 mins to stretch and some tea. Started the return trip around 230pm and maintained a relaxed 100kmph towards Vellore. The pleasant weather completely flipped after Ranipet, frequent cloudburst and lack of shelter meant I was completely drenched within few kms and quickly realized it doesn’t make sense to stop for shelter. With no sign of the rain stopping I kept riding for the next 80kms in rain, low visibility, pothole ridden roads and reached home at 730pm adding 460kms in the ODO. That said the ride was worth every bit, happy that I did not decide to abandon the ride in the beginning.

The Interceptor performed really well and my favorite part was the rumble, burble & pops from the twin exhaust which kept me entertained throughout the ride, the fatter 17 inch tyres allowed for some foot peg scraping in the winding ghat sections. The stock seat didn’t wear me out probably due to the frequent stops for photo and tea. Only issue with the Interceptor was the N neutral light remained ON in all gears soon after the first cloud burst, it got sorted itself the next day.

The intention was to just ride!- start early, stop everywhere to take photos and return back by evening.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-jy-ride.jpg

80kms into the ride with flooded shoes & wet jacket
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_08220301.jpeg

Boulder 650: All boulders in one pic!
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_09162001.jpeg

Few kms before the ghat section
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_10434101.jpeg

Ghat section towards Jawadhu hills
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_10550701.jpeg

Halfway into Jawadhu hills
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_11020601.jpeg

Favorite pic!
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_11202701.jpeg

In Google maps we trust! Taking the dirt roads towards Yelagiri hills
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_13042401.jpeg

On the way down from Yelagiri
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_14172201.jpeg

Corner carving! Much fun
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_12115301.jpeg

Last stop for shelter before the rain drenched final run
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_17194801.jpeg

Incoming cloudburst
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211230_17193601.jpeg
Torino is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:21   #197
BHPian

With offices resorting to permanent work from home, the weekend early morning rides have become essential to get the sense of completing the week both mentally and physically. The 3-4 hours spent in riding along with likeminded people, talking motorcycles & cars and breath of fresh air is a time well spent.

Rode along with a Jawa 42 on the last Saturday of 2021. If it wasn’t for the 650 twins, I would have ended up getting the Jawa. Such a beautiful machine with ergonomics perfectly suited for my frame.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211225_06534901.jpeg
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211225_06544301.jpeg

Started 2022’s first weekend ride with my rider buddy who recently added a brand new KTM 390 ADV into his garage next to his trusty ol' 2007 RE Thunderbird AVL 350. Yeah thats a super upgrade from a pure analogue to full on gizmos and tech. With nearly 3Lac kms under his belt on the 350 AVL and he's all exited. We did a 150km round trip to Poondi dam. The Interceptor feels puny beside the 390 ADV
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220102_07175001.jpeg
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220102_08343101.jpeg
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220102_08401301.jpeg
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220102_08483101.jpeg

Last edited by Torino : 6th January 2022 at 10:39. Reason: spelling
Torino is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:59   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
With offices resorting to permanent work from home, the weekend early morning rides have become essential to get the sense of completing the week both mentally and physically. The 3-4 hours spent in riding along with like-minded people, talking motorcycles & cars and breath of fresh air is a time well spent.
Rightly said This is absolutely a necessity these days!

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_09015801.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_0902470101.jpeg

You have ditched the windshield completely. Any plans of re-installing it?

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 14:10   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

You have ditched the windshield completely. Any plans of re-installing it?
Not really, just that I got bored in the way windshield looks.

Did a 240km round trip to Pulicat lake near Sriharikota. Take photos of our motorcycles and talk about them, Saturday morning well spent. Maintained 110kmph on open roads and the Interceptor returned 26kmpl overall on tank full method.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220108_0821040101.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220108_08310501.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220108_08442001.jpeg
Torino is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 18:07   #200
BHPian

The Silver Blitz 650 completes 3 years today with 22,500 kms on the ODO.

The Good:
  • Clean timeless retro looks
  • Refined engine with sweet exhaust rumble offering usable power and torque for both city and highway
  • Endless list of aftermarket parts & accessories
  • 17 inch wheel conversion and the suspension lowering kit have made it a lot easier for me in handling the bike in stop go traffic and in the parking lot.
  • Reasonably reliable for an RE with excellent after sales and service support

The Bad:
  • Weak Electricals: Fuel level indicator goes berserk for few minutes after every water wash. The neutral light stays ON in all gears when ridden in heavy rain
  • Quality Issues: Poor quality fuel cap rubber seal, Worn out ignition/lock set
  • Hard to maintain sheen on the engine casing
  • Continuous urge to buy more aftermarket parts and accessories
  • Isn’t a perfect motorcycle out of the box

Modifications done:
The last 3.5 years has been quite a journey for me from being a complete non-Royal Enfield guy to booking the Interceptor 650 on the launch day and taking delivery from the initial batches to the initial concerns over the intruding foot pegs, uncomfortable seat and weight to slowly getting accustomed to the bike and making modifications to suit my needs as the bike remains extremely reliable all the while for an RE. This Royal Enfield has grown on me with its charm and character. The original 3 years warranty ends today and I haven’t taken the extended warranty hoping that I won’t need it, it’s a gamble I’ve decided to take. Apart from the broken lock set & busted fuel cap rubber seal which were replaced under warranty, the Interceptor remained reliable without breaking down or throwing a tantrum during the last 3 years of ownership. Also there aren't any reports of plaguing issues regarding the 650 twins.

17 inch wheels setup and the suspension lowering kit:
It’s been 3,300 kms with the 17 inch wheels and the setup is working perfectly fine. Those 3,300 kms were a mix of fast highway rides and local commutes done over all sorts of terrain and road conditions. More importantly there isn’t any sign of wobbling at any speed. The Ceat XL Zoom and Apollo Alpha S1 tires are doing a good job by offering decent levels of grip and durability, did not face any punctures so far. As for the suspension lowering kit, it’s a great product in itself for shorter riders to leverage. I’m running the 17 inch wheels with the rear suspension lowering kit and have set the suspension preload to its hardest level to have the right compromise between the ride height and ground clearance.

New Battery:
The factory fitted Exide battery lasted exactly 3 years. The battery started showing signs of weakness since last month with the engine firing up only on the second attempt at the start button. Visited the RE OMR service centre last week to change fuel cap/lock set under warranty and the bike refused to start at the service center and they tried charging the battery for 4 hours but in vain. The stock battery spec is 12V 12Ah but the availability of this factory spec battery is next to non-existent. The RE service advisor suggested to go for 12V 14Ah battery which is compatible and easily available in the market. I checked with my friend who is into battery and electrical power business and he said the 14Ah battery won't cause any trouble except for longer charging time which will be insignificant. Got an Exide FXL0-XLTX14 12V 14Ah battery for Rs2800 after exchanging old battery for Rs300. The new Exide battery comes with 2 years replacement warranty and additional 2 years pro-rata warranty.

I chose Exide over the popular Amaron based on my past experience across multiple vehicles.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220206_123313_1.jpg

The battery swap took 10 mins. Just the tools in the toolkit does the job.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220206_123641.jpg

The entire lock set was changed under warranty in the last week of the warranty period.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220208_130841.jpg

3M PPF after 3 years of service. Time to change. PPF did an excellent job considering the types of objects I've placed over the tank. Shopping bags, tools, babies with anklets and the usual tank bag to name a few.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220208_135530.jpg

Apollo Alpha S1 140/60R17 is tuff enough for our roads. The reason I chose S1 over H1.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220208_130925.jpg

Ceat Zoom XL at the front
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220208_130951.jpg

The usual suspects.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220126_07245501.jpg

The leather side panel bag contains the helmet lock and a sanitizer.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220115_06562102.jpeg

The 17 inch wheels are hard to spot.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220115_07015701.jpeg

Love clean and timeless design
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220126_07524901.jpeg

If not the best thing in the bike, the exhaust note never!
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220126_08142801.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 17th February 2022 at 07:48. Reason: As requested
Torino is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 18:19   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Torino, congratulations on your 3rd year anniversary with Silver Blitz, a silent reader, and admirer of your thread.

Wishing you happy miles!
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 10:48   #202
BHPian

Quote:

The Good:
  • Endless list of aftermarket parts & accessories
The Bad:
  • Continuous urge to buy more aftermarket parts and accessories
  • Isn’t a perfect motorcycle out of the box
The last 3.5 years has been quite a journey for me from being a complete non-Royal Enfield guy to booking the Interceptor 650 on the launch day and taking delivery from the initial batches to the initial concerns over the intruding foot pegs, uncomfortable seat and weight to slowly getting accustomed to the bike and making modifications to suit my needs as the bike remains extremely reliable all the while for an RE. This Royal Enfield has grown on me with its charm and character.

The original 3 years warranty ends today and I haven’t taken the extended warranty hoping that I won’t need it, it’s a gamble I’ve decided to take.

The 17 inch wheels are hard to spot.

Love clean and timeless design
Congratulations, mate!

The Good and Bad are aptly put and you've shown great patience in keeping your bike in near stock condition. One of the cleanest on the forum!
I told someone the exact thing, "It isn’t a perfect motorcycle out of the box." It's a platform with that beautiful engine and of-course affordability is a major contributor for us to be able to own a multi-cylinder bike, maintain and modify it as per our needs or wants.

The 17" wheels mod is Sliver Blitz's blockbuster upgrade, you have spend where it was needed the most.

As for the extended warranty, I'm on the same boat with you.

Teasing you with some minor mods,

Adv Tribe side stand extender
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220205_184714.jpg

MK Designs pillion footrest heel guard
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220205_191835.jpg

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 02:30   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad the the bike is running well for you. I've yet to come across a single negative ownership report of this motorcycle, anywhere in the world. Its a testament to the effort Royal Enfield put in in designing and building this motorcycle.

The clocks have a poor seal which is evident as they mist up in cold weather conditions. I experience this in winter months. I've never pressure washed the bike. No hard grime to deal with so that sort of helps. In Indian conditions, you probably need to, especially after a ride in the rain. I suggest you wrap the clocks in a plastic cover whenever you hose down the bike. Will offer some protection versus none.

When I wash the bike, I wipe the clocks with a damp towel. I never direct a stream of water from the garden hose on them. You could try this, as a way to keep them clean.

I would not bother with extended warranty. Every part is available locally to you and Made in India. You're not paying inflated prices like you would for an imported motorcycle. Its all right there.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:21   #204
BHPian

Quote:
As for the extended warranty, I'm on the same boat with you.. Teasing you with some minor mods,
Thanks Surja! I like the Interceptor's clean & subtle looks hence I try to keep the bike looking close to stock as possible. That's a nice set of thoughtful addons you got there!. As for me next I'll most probably get the GT touring seat or the RE Panzer riding jacket. I think the Panzer jacket will look simple and subtle just like the bike. But the thing is I couldn't find any review for this jacket, hope I can fine one in the showroom to try on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I've yet to come across a single negative ownership report of this motorcycle, anywhere in the world.

The clocks have a poor seal which is evident as they mist up in cold weather conditions.

I would not bother with extended warranty. Every part is available locally to you and Made in India. You're not paying inflated prices like you would for an imported motorcycle. Its all right there.
Exactly! The lack of issues reported regarding engine and drivetrain for an RE is confidence inspiring. Also I met an Interceptor rider with 50,000 kms on the ODO few months back and he didn't have any concerns to report. Thanks for the tips on the clocks, will be a bit more cautious.
Torino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 22:09   #205
BHPian

Quote:
As for me next I'll most probably get the GT touring seat or the RE Panzer riding jacket. I think the Panzer jacket will look simple and subtle just like the bike. But the thing is I couldn't find any review for this jacket, hope I can fine one in the showroom to try on.
I was taken by surprise by the Jacket name, as I didn't know about this RE Riding Jacket! But this seems a Waxed Textile jacket with armour pockets (sold without armours). With the armours it might cost close to 10k INR. I would not suggest you this any day as your primary riding jacket!

Get a mesh Riding jacket with armours like the Explorer V3 In grey it'll match Silver Blitz! Try it at any RE store for fitting.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 10:45   #206
BHPian

Quote:
...With the armours it might cost close to 10k INR. I would not suggest you this any day as your primary riding jacket!
Completely agree. Explorer V3 makes for a more sensible choice, but the Panzer waxed jacket looks properly classic to me and I love it. Anyways, the 20% discount sale just ended, will wait for the next discount sale.

Rode along with the Street Twin on some of our favorite B-roads on last Sunday morning. Looking at the Interceptor and Bonnie Street Twin side by side pops up lots of interesting styling cues that clearly differentiates the classic retro from the modern retro. From the wheels to chassis I just couldn't spot any odd design element in either of them to even nick pick, such a beautiful timeless motorcycles they are! Another perfect Sunday morning.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220213_06392802.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220213_06454801.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20220213_06555101.jpeg
Torino is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:56   #207
BHPian

@torino, have you ever felt handlebar wobble at speed around 80-90 ? mine GT is doing this. Wanted to check if anyone had experienced and got fixed.
nonetheless will take it to service in a day or two.
By the way, enjoying your thread with all these updates, keep rolling.
-Pramod
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:26   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
@torino, have you ever felt handlebar wobble at speed around 80-90 ? mine GT is doing this.
Thanks Pramod! Are you running on the factory fitted Pirelli tyres? If so then the wobbling is due to those shoddy tyres and the only way to eliminate wobble is to replace the Pirelli tyres. Best option available in the market is Ceat Zoom Cruz. You must be able to find the Ceat at your local tyre dealer, cost for a pair was around 6.5k mid last year, heard the cost has gone up to 8k. Replacing the stock Pirelli tyres should eliminate the wobbling issue 100%. A bunch of 650 twins owners in my riding group have moved to Ceat and the wobbling is completely gone. If you are already running on Ceat then you might have to true the wheels.
Torino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:36   #209
BHPian

Quote:
... Are you running on the factory fitted Pirelli tyres? ...
Yes, I am. I talked to service advisor and they mentioned some issue with handler bar with GT and Himalaya, have called me on Thursday.
Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look to change these tires now.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 18:17   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am looking to buy Interceptor, going through all of the ownership threads. Congrats on the bike and loved the thread, keep the posts and pics coming

The design of the bike is really perfect, it actually looks better than street twin in this pic to me !
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks